Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

WIP JTD Fire And Smoke

I love you!

Smoke looks lovely,so much nicer.

Are you only editing physics/config files? Or the actual smoke textures aswell? I was just wondering if maybe you could make the smoke look a little darker, so it has a much more gritty feel.

If not do't worry, it looks amazing either way :D

-rework it particle effects for handgrenades or other explosions bombs,missiles or tankgrenades on ground?

-rework it the vanilla bullet dusk effekt for guns ?

-give it a wip. video where it can see the new smoke effects ?

sry for my english

Your English is just fine :)

I won't be altering ingame default settings this time around, with the possible exception of collapsing building dust effects. They will be similar to the ArmA1 DMSmokeEffects in that they will be bigger, and last longer.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Are you only editing physics/config files? Or the actual smoke textures aswell? I was just wondering if maybe you could make the smoke look a little darker, so it has a much more gritty feel.

There's no editing of anything ingame, the effects are original and layered over the default ones. There will probably be some natural variance of smoke density (which will have the effect of making it darker or lighter) for each source, so that will build in some variance also. The smoke types will be different for different situations, for example the forest fires will probably look different, depending on performance.

Ah ok, thats great :)

Thanks alot!

I clicked the link in your sig, but its broken. Will it be back up anytime soon? I can't wait to test this hehe!

Link is fixed, but it is the Armed Assault version, not ArmA2 :)

Dude, faking awesom! Gimme gimme gimme! Now work hard so we get to test it, heh heh. Looks very promising.

Oh, is there any way i can make it work in arma 2?

:D

Hey, does this work within the editor as it states MP?

Looking good, I love the last screen with the lighter smoke, looks realistic and doesn't stick out at all. It blends really well.

@p75: all (effect) add-ons will work in editor and sp missions unless stated other whise, MP is the tricky part for some effects.

Looking good, I love the last screen with the lighter smoke, looks realistic and doesn't stick out at all. It blends really well.

@p75: all (effect) add-ons will work in editor and sp missions unless stated other whise, MP is the tricky part for some effects.

Thanks, can I run this with Arma 2 using the CAA1 to play Arma 1 maps in Arma 2?

mh...the first screens looks better,i think when a tank was shooting it burns realy long and it gives a high black dense column of smoke ...it looks simple realistic and and it gives realy war feeling...the most integrated materials in tanks are gums and synthetic substance and give black smoke from.

regards stephsen

Oh, is there any way i can make it work in arma 2?

:D

Can you make this somehow work in Arma 2? I have the same Q.

So each source will have timed random variable settings like particle rate, wind affectedness, and initial velocity. This should mean that the smoke has different looks and shapes, more like how it should look for random burning of vehicles.

I always thought the amount of smoke (duration of emitting smoke) should be tied to the amount of fuel and ammunition on board.

Of course technically when the unit is destroyed ingame, can we extract any ammo/fuel counts anymore, I don't know.

Secondly, the fuel in most missions is no brainer; always full. I mean when do you reach a point in your average mission where lets say BMP's fuel tank is only 25% full anymore. Ammunition is of course another matter as the kids love to shoot them gunz.

Do you think this would be doable in ArmA 2?

I always thought the amount of smoke (duration of emitting smoke) should be tied to the amount of fuel and ammunition on board.

Good call. Have a +1

That would be a good idea, but after the killed event I don't think the fuel for the vehicle is readable. I mean, I'll do a test on that tonight, see if it's true. As for ammo, well I don't do the secondary explosions, they already exist and I'd just be doubling up.

Like you said though, in practice the amount of fuel will nearly always be "nearly full" :) unless you're playing Evolution or some other 24/7 onliner.

When i think back to ArmA1 days and your smoke mods (wich was a must), but i remember many times in MP i told people and people told me "hey i am at the smoke pillar!" where i went "what smoke pillar?". Often it smoked for someone but not some others etc.

Just dont remember if it was that with the stock effects also or if it was due to random smoke times playing random on all clients? Or maybe it is an ArmA shortcoming thingy?

Looking good though DM. Happy to see this in ARMA2. Your smoke always rocked hard. :)

Thanks!

Alex

When i think back to ArmA1 days and your smoke mods (wich was a must), but i remember many times in MP i told people and people told me "hey i am at the smoke pillar!" where i went "what smoke pillar?". Often it smoked for someone but not some others etc.

Just dont remember if it was that with the stock effects also or if it was due to random smoke times playing random on all clients? Or maybe it is an ArmA shortcoming thingy?

Looking good though DM. Happy to see this in ARMA2. Your smoke always rocked hard. :)

Thanks!

Alex

My limited amount of MP time with it meant that sometimes stuff happened that I didn't know about :) the above sounds like one of those things. Did it occur as a result of someone JIP a mission? I think there is an issue with the A1 smoke effects that anyone who joins a mission gets the effects transmitted OK, but they start from the beginning & therefore on some machines they had expired, but on other machines (the ones that JIP) they still burned.

This time around hopefully that will be fixed, as I now also transmit the times that the smoke effects started. I will code in some simple calculation routines that make sure that either the smoke does not start if it's expired on the other machines, or only burns for as long as the smoke has left to burn. I don't really want to bog the online experience down by constantly synchronising the effects, so it'll be a simple clientside calculation.

DMArkwick,

Can you include a thick smoke that can be placed in the editor and just continues to burn? One that doesnt need a vehicle or other incendiary object to "fuel" it?

It woul greatly help me lower my scripting in some of my missions where I need a smoldering town for effect.

Thanks for your great work.

DMArkwick,

Can you include a thick smoke that can be placed in the editor and just continues to burn? One that doesnt need a vehicle or other incendiary object to "fuel" it?

It woul greatly help me lower my scripting in some of my missions where I need a smoldering town for effect.

Thanks for your great work.

Yeah I can do that, but it will be in the form of a single command line. In fact the smoke effects for A1 could already do this, although I didn't put it in the readme.

The command line will look something like:

[Position, typeOfSmoke, PrimaryLifetime, SecondaryLifetime, ViewblockTrueOrFalse, Time] execVM "JTD_FireAndSmoke\SmokeMain.sqf"

Where the various parameters have been named something meaningful for this example. So you can set the type of smoke you see, how long it lasts, how long it smoulders for afterwards, and whether it blocks the AI view or not. You can place it in the init line of an object (any object, including invisible ones).

Thank you, DMarkwick!! I look forward to your kickass smoke in Arma2!

I thought that ArmA2 had viewblock smoke built in already. Are you going to make vehicle movement dust last longer?

thanks!

How about creating generic burnt tree models? You wouldn't need a lot and they could replace the original trees after some time. Looks very nice.

There's probably all sorts of problems involved with swapping map models out, I don't think it can be done. However I can make them fall over, which they do :)

That smoke from the forest fire looks pretty damn good. Looks just like I remember from the time I was in college in Montana and forest acreage equivalent to the size of Vermont was burning. It was nuts. I couldn't see my front lawn when the wind blow the smoke into the valley. I wish I could find the videos I took. I'll keep looking but I haven't seen them since 2000.

montana_fire_sm.jpg

This picture was taken about 25 miles from where I lived, damn I wish I took it.

Edited by Manzilla

Very nice! I can't wait for the release - an awesome addition to ArmA2! All of the extra smoke adds so much atmosphere to the game, and with viewblock smoke, even gameplay will be enhanced. Your Arma1 addon with viewblock is one of the few ESSENTIAL mods that I never play without.

Please keep it up, DMarkwick, you are adding so much to the ArmA community!