Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

WIP JTD Fire And Smoke

Take a look to my first test of rolling smoke puff over fire.

The rolling, tumbling smoke cloud looks nice and it's something I mentioned to DM a while back. Yours doesn't disperse though, even in calm weather, a column of smoke, even that from a diesel fuel fire, doesn't stay that contiguous as it rises into the air.

Superb mate! :) You did it!

The battlefield will never be the same now. :D

Alex

So those are SS's from two different people?

You rock dude!

Hy, I take in count many feedback, this is a new test so :

I would like to give my work to a recognized addon maker, because I'm trying to understand config.cpp , the next step in this work, and I've got to many difficulties...

DM, sorry to post that on your thread...tell me if I'm disturbing.

Bizibiz:

That looks good, but i think you better start your own thread in this addon discussion forum as you will get more attention and help for sure.

DM will read your thread and help if he can. Pretty sure about that. ;)

Alex

Hi Bizbiz :)

That looks pretty good, and looks pretty much like my own first tests way back when Armed Assault 1 was released :)

*edit*

, over two years ago now :) Edited by DMarkwick

Lol, your video is very very old, youtube have difficulties to load it XD

Bizibiz:

That looks good, but i think you better start your own thread in this addon discussion forum as you will get more attention and help for sure.

Alex

OFF TOPIC

Lol, sorry but I don't want to have my own post, I already try but with no results, and the other reason, is that I don t want to mount my own addon, I'd like to give my job to an "well known" addon maker because there are too much little addon on ARMA, it s confusing. I encourage few but really usefull addon like JTD or ACE or ...

ON TOPIC

One thing I forget, thanks DM for answer about PreloadTexture...I can t do this without your help !

Edited by Bizibiz

There are some interesting gameplay things that happen with this. One observation - when testing a mission where I was basically acting as a forward observer, on the map there was a ridge above a town that would provide an excellent overlook. So, I leave my base camp, and there's already aircraft doing their thing, and I see some smoke towards the town. So, I start heading towards it. When I get closer, I see that one of the a/c must've hit right on my overlook point, sending trees up in flame. Flame which was propagating. Propagating all along the ridge I wanted to use. :doh:

It can change the dynamics of the battle in certain situations.

Also, on the FPS note. In SP (with a previous version to what was MP tested), there were about 3 heavy plumes from a/c crashes, several pickup trucks on fire and one armored vehicle on fire, and at least one area of forest on fire, about 10-15 vehicles in the city, and at least another 8-10 infantry groups taking the town. I did notice some jumpiness. :) I didn't have the FPS counter going, but I'd estimate it in the low 30s, or high 20s. It was a noticeable staccato, but not enough to make it unplayable.

:thumbs:

I dunno.... I'm not sure there's much interest.

;)

(That's a joke.) :D

Also remember that this addon comes with a tweakable HPP. So everyone can set the time of smoke, amount of particles, forest fires ON/OFF aaaand something more that im not allowed to talk about. :D

Alex

:D

I, too, am looking forward to the reaction to that. I mean, it is subtle, so I think some people might not even notice it. I mean, it just seems so natural....

:)

Anyway, we really shouldn't talk about the size of DM's masculinity in public like this....

aaaand something more that im not allowed to talk about. :D

Alex

Have you seen this something more working in your tests? I've not got around to trying it yet.

this looks intense.

will there be ways for the user to change the smoke color with a different PBO? like the smoke from a forest fire isn't as black.

Yup cheers DM all good so far and very impressive effects :D