Sign in to follow this  
Heigou

Why am I so bad?

Alright so basically, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the game is way tough for me, I try to be sneaky and all then I stay in this spot to just scout for enemy position and, well I just see no one.

Even if the city is filled with them I'll only get to see one once in a while and then I just drop dead cause some of their sniper shot me.

I'm just wondering what I'm doing wrong because even if I take cover and try to be sneaky they just always find me and kill me before I get the chance to see one of them.

Another thing is when I'm prone in the grass, I can't see anything due to the grass but the bots see me perfectly even when they're themselves prone in the grass.

So I end up getting shot yet again without seen anything.

I've died countless times without knowing what the hell happened even tho I was well hidden and far from enemy eyes, I've rarely had the chance to kill an enemy soldier.

So I'm asking what the hell am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Holy crap douple post + wrong forum, I wanted to post it in general.

Another thing is when I'm prone in the grass, I can't see anything due to the grass but the bots see me perfectly even when they're themselves prone in the grass.

So I end up getting shot yet again without seen anything.

I've died countless times without knowing what the hell happened even tho I was well hidden and far from enemy eyes, I've rarely had the chance to kill an enemy soldier.

Another player that thinks the grass is destroying the feeling and spirit.

BIS really need to fix the grass issue very fast, or they will lose a lot of new players and believers.

@Heigou: the game still have some issues that we believe will be solved with time by the developers. So be patient.

Edited by bravo 6

You are not wrong, I you are training yourself with this game just "sneak" to the town you are going for and do it slowly, and take care.

And If you are in a high place looking to that town and fire a single shot hide behind a tree or your dead in 2 secs.

AI has BIG eyes and BIG ears :D

(I suppose you talking about playing a MP Mission not against other players)

Oh and btw, get a weapon with scope (DMR is a nice one) so you can watch/shoot them from 1km away ;)

You are not bad, the game is currently bugged and the AI can spot you instantly and kill you in 1 shot while you can't see them. If by luck you see them before they see you, it takes 5-6 or more shots to kill them.

Hi there

nothing to worry about. You're not bad. I have the same problems. Enemy who sees through bushes when in prone position is a bug and it is very hard to compete. Situational awareness is definitely different in ArmA II rather then in ArmA I or good ole OFP. You can't rush due to heavy vegetation and lot's of possibilities to hide and conceal. Furthermore AI has been improved. They are not staying anymore in the middle of the road for e.g. where they get easily killed. The ArmA II AI is sometimes very tricky and sometimes still stupid.

Now they are using every cover possible putting up surpressive fire, flanking you and so on. I just changed the speed of my movements trying to be more carefully when advancing and trying to use every cover available in order to not getting killed. Snipers are definitely a pain because you don't see them. So don't worry just try to slow down your advancing speed and try to maintain situational awareness of 360 degrees in any case.

Read Shac Tactics there's a lot of usefull stuff about how to improve your situational awareness.

Cheers

nettrucker:D

Disable grass for now. Terrain detail: very low; or use an addon to lower grass.

You can also tweak the AIskill and AIdispersion, search for that and you will find several threads about it.

Grass is a real pain, almost makes me not want to play as infantry at all.. :(

Suggest BIS a new units in the next patch.....

A lawn mower

Or give us an option to drasiclly shorten/ remove the the grass

Short/no grass looks a bit strange on this nice and rough terrain.

Imho BIS should slow down the speed of revealing contacts done by AI. They are too fast and too precise. AI can even see + report type of units through trees/foliage/hills and dense fog 800m away. Kinda annoying if player cant see anything but AI starts reporting and attacking.

BIS really need to fix the grass issue very fast, or they will lose a lot of new players and believers.

How so?by removing the grass?ArmA 2 is mostly set in the wilderness so you arent going to be fighting scross miles of perfectly manicured lawns!

I have found that while pushing A button, combined with B button and running in any direction may also help.

While assaulting an enemy city, I ordered my teammates to push A button while I pushed B button. The main problem with this was none of my teammates were pushing B button, I was the only one. We failed that mission, but we had a second go; we all pushed A button and B button while running to the north (it also works while running to the North-west, South-west, South-east, and East). The result was a delightful victory for our team, many civilians were saved!

If you are playing alone with AI, I suggest only using B button, and if you can, double-tab the C button. Remember the directions you must face in order to be succesfull

Joan

I have no idea what this post is about. What is it about this game which makes people say "press J" instead of the informative "press action menu"? I'm dying to know what happens when you press A without B, A with B, and double tap C. Sounds like a cheat mode seeing as it causes delightful victory :D.

ArmA and ArmA2 sure aint easy and it takes some time to get used to it.

Few things to make it easier for you.

Under the settings you find difficulty settings that you also can edit and for example change the enmys skill to very low and raise your own units skill to the highest level.

I didnt find the difference too noticeable but you may try it.

Apart from that you ca. disable the grass as said before under terraign setting low.

I find that too OFPish looking though.

Apart from that always make sure youre attacking from a good angle and arent surrounded by enemies so noone will shoot in your back.

Use all cover you can get, kneel behind walls or small obstacles, lay down when possible to aim perfectly.

Dont stay too long in a position as the enemy will advance on your position.

Overall i can only suggest to train and train ( set some units in the editor and try out all weapons ) and save a lot.

---

And dont worry, ill play since OFP and the AI still owns me quite often :p

Have you checked out the mission editor? If not, I'd suggest doing so as it's a great way to learn how to play the game without the stress/hassle/fear of being in a story situation and having to replay sections and all that.

BIS have a done a video giving you a quick introduction to it: http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-developeras-diary-no2-mission-editor_en.html

Another benefit is that you'll know what you're up against which means you know what to look for.

I also find playing as a squad member with an AI leader to be useful. A good thing to try would be putting in a small fire team, make yourself a member but not the leader, and give the team a move waypoint into a village or whatever you fancy. Adjust the properties so the group behaviour is "combat" - this is the most effective mode for the AI when engaging enemies.

Put a small group of AI in the village with a move waypoint and set their behaviour to "safe". Then hit preview and move with your squad. They move very slowly in combat mode and try to use cover and so on.

About spotting them - I did find it took me a while to be good at noticing them. I think after a while you get used to what they look like, and when scanning an area they kind of stick out. But it does take a while to get to that point, and I used to scan areas and completely not see enemies in them.

Also, I find the game more enjoyable with the terrain detail set to minimum so the grass doesn't get in your way. It's not as pretty but I find it more playable.

How so?by removing the grass?ArmA 2 is mostly set in the wilderness so you arent going to be fighting scross miles of perfectly manicured lawns!

Its a fact! A lot of players are complaining about this grass issue, you can confirm it in several threads spread in the forum. Search and you will find.

AI Does see trough the grass and have advantage over humans whatever people say.

The solution is not to remove the grass, but maybe shorten it a bit more so player be able to see around while in prone position.

I really hope BIS finds out a good working feature, even if they use some time on it, to make this problem disappear completely.

I do believe it is very important to solve the grass issue (clutter issue) as soon as possible because it does affect the Game immersion.

As a matter of fact and unlike popular belief, the AI is affected by grass in Arma 2. There is approximation for clutter surrounding every unit affecting how well the AI can see it.

In my opinion what was said by Maruk is not enough to fix what we need, it still not enough!

This issue is destroying the game and we are losing some new players that don't know how BIS work (constant updates and improvements).

Theres not doubt BIS will work on this feature and will release it in some future patch, after version 1.03. (Dev. Source)

I agree. The grass is an issue and I don't buy anyones bull that says the AI can't see through it in at least some unfair way. They absolutely do and I have many deaths from guys laying 200 yards away in 3 foot grass to prove it.

i'm dying to know what happens when you press a without b, a with b, and double tap c.

FATALITY

*small letters here because the forum does not allow all-caps posts :( *

Just be more cautious. Sneaking into close proximity with the AI isn't a good idea. Observe them from a distance if you can.

The AI have information sharing and will report you to nearby units when they see you. You may not be shot by the unit that spots you, but units in the area will become aware of you and start looking out for you.

How this works is the AI sees you, reports you to an 'HQ', and then the HQ dishes out orders to the AI in the area.

Also when advancing across open areas split into fireteams - for example in a squad of 4 set two members on overwatch, check the map and your surroundings for possible vunerable points, keep low and advance that way.

Never feel you have to stick to the planned route, keep your spacing to avoid getting blown up by grenades. Use cover when you can. If needs be fall back to a previous position using smoke as cover.

The ai does have an advantage over you - but remember your ai team members can even the odds.

Just be more cautious. Sneaking into close proximity with the AI isn't a good idea. Observe them from a distance if you can.

The AI have information sharing and will report you to nearby units when they see you. You may not be shot by the unit that spots you, but units in the area will become aware of you and start looking out for you.

How this works is the AI sees you, reports you to an 'HQ', and then the HQ dishes out orders to the AI in the area.

They only report to their own squad, except when using the 'Guard' waypoint in which case they will share the knowledge with other squads using this waypoint.

Though im not sure if the position is still as precise when its shared because of the waypoint. When im in a squad with a guard waypoint ive been ordered to attack units which were percieved to be several hundred meters in the other direction then where they actually where, while the percieved enemy position of units spotted by your own squad is usually pretty precise. (Usually correct within 20 meters, most often right on target)

They only report to their own squad, except when using the 'Guard' waypoint in which case they will share the knowledge with other squads using this waypoint.

Though im not sure if the position is still as precise when its shared because of the waypoint. When im in a squad with a guard waypoint ive been ordered to attack units which were percieved to be several hundred meters in the other direction then where they actually where, while the percieved enemy position of units spotted by your own squad is usually pretty precise. (Usually correct within 20 meters, most often right on target)

No, they also report to an external HQ.

They report your exact position to their squad, and they report that they've seen you to some external abstraction, which then sends patrols looking for you.

At least I think so...

I remember reading from the devs in the ArmA 1 forums. I was quite surprised to read it.

Edited by Max Power

No, they also report to an external HQ.

They report your exact position to their squad, and they report that they've seen you to some external abstraction, which then sends patrols looking for you.

At least I think so...

I remember reading from the devs in the ArmA 1 forums. I was quite surprised to read it.

Really? Ive never, ever seen this happen by itself. I just tried on Utes by letting 2 squads (east and west) fight on one side of the island and placing 3 east squads on the other side of the island. While the east squad was getting is ass kicked the other 3 squads didnt move a step.

EDIT: I should have tested their knowsabout, brb

EDIT: I just did a quick not 100% test but their knowsabout stays at 0. Then again, it also stays at 0 when i give all east squads a guard waypoint but they still react. :p

Edited by NeMeSiS

I can slow crawl upto 10-20 m behind the AI - maybe 30-50m infront.

Please note i said SLOW CRAWL :)

I think it's brilliant how challenging ArmA2 can be at times. Sure you can readily turn features off but just the fact that they are there and can be further developed gives this game a life measured in many years.

Thanks BIS for yet another brilliant product!!

I'm not having that problem at all. I suspect you're running into tight situations too aggressively in the manner you've been trained to do in other less realistic games.