Sign in to follow this  
Vylker

Ranking system, why not?

Arma2 : Ranking or not?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Arma2 : Ranking or not?

• I would like to achieve ranks and medalions like hell!
    • Nah, I dont really need it

Ranking systems are made to be exploited by design. There's no workaround for that. When you have a ranking system, you will now choose to do things that increase your rank over things that make your team win. Since team winning is for the whole team and rank is only personal, you'll very often pick your own rank at the expense of your team's ability to win. Again, no workaround for that, so it's probably never going to happen. Not to mention how many other exploits it would have (requiring official maps is not going to happen either as there are practically none of those).

Well.. I must admit that I'am disappointed, lol.. ok I would propably go to make some medals to cheer my achievements alone :yay:

I would like to conclude saying that it is not so important to me also, it just would make a little bit more spicy your game progress, anyway Iam sure now that I will not have any medals to play, thank you all for posting!;)

nah, can't be doing with ranking. Not after BF2.

Just doesn't encourage teamwork AT ALL and all you get is the high ranks (who are on the most part people who really need to get out more/take a shower) calling the average ranks n00bs when they have probably had the game as long as them, they just havent lived infront of their monitor everyday.

Then there's the stat-padding...

no thanks!

The game should never be about who gets the most points - it should always be about surviving the mission and accomplishing the objective. Ranks and awards would destroy this.

I don't think the rank system is not meant to be looked at as "points." Especially in relation to a game like Arma 2.

"Points" or numbers are just the means of keeping track and ranking. Think about that job promotion, it was based off good work, commitment, overtime where the guy against you only offered two of those traits. 3 against 2 you win, you get a office and a better looking number on your paycheck.

You see my point, there is really no other way to keep track and we use it in the real world to, it's just covered up with a explanation (something games would have a bit more trouble articulating.)

So yes a rank system would be great because in the end it is all about getting the mission accomplished but that's not to say you want to be the one to earn the luxury to do it in the A-10 and the other guy want's to be the one to blast through on a M1A1, and the other guy wants to be in charge of the crew and command them what to do and where do to it.

Don't relate a ranking system so much to a number itself, you don't walk around your office carrying a name tag with a number on it that ranks you against other employees. You would have a title much like the titles in Arma 2 (ie. pilot, Alpha leader, AT soldier etc.)

Actually I would like to see a ranks and medals or "achievements" part to ARMA II. They could lock it so it only applies on certain official maps created by BIS. Come on, its not that difficult, BF2 had mods and player created maps and the ranks never applied to those because they didnt have the manufacturers code.

As far as players cooping, I dont see much of it on public servers now, and in BF2 there were alot of very close squads of players who joined together night after night to get the objective (even if it did mean another medal for flag capture). Motivation is motivation.

I think this is totally unneeded and a terrible idea for Arma 2.

It screams 'mainstream' and all the very negative (For a game like this) things that come along with it. This kind of thing is 'motivation' for gross elitism in many games. I don't think that's needed (Anymore than what is already here) in Arma 2.

That kind of thing is fun in other games, but I just don't think it fits well here. I don't need a rank to show other players my skill, or lack thereof. This game is based, even moreso than other games on skill coordinated with teamwork. A ranking system doesn't exactly motivate people to work as a team very much. (From my experience.) It motivates people to get all the kills/points they can.

Also, I would rather have BIS work on something other than this. If this was to be made, I would hope it would be low in priority.

Cynically yours,

Fiya

I think this is totally unneeded and a terrible idea for Arma 2.

It screams 'mainstream' and all the very negative (For a game like this) things that come along with it. This kind of thing is 'motivation' for gross elitism in many games. I don't think that's needed (Anymore than what is already here) in Arma 2.

That kind of thing is fun in other games, but I just don't think it fits well here. I don't need a rank to show other players my skill, or lack thereof. This game is based, even moreso than other games on skill coordinated with teamwork. A ranking system doesn't exactly motivate people to work as a team very much. (From my experience.) It motivates people to get all the kills/points they can.

Also, I would rather have BIS work on something other than this. If this was to be made, I would hope it would be low in priority.

Cynically yours,

Fiya

^^ This.

Also, like I said on the first page, any ranking system in Arma 2 could easily be subverted by creating missions where the player is invincible, has unlimited ammo and can just gun down an endlessly respawning horde of enemies. In other words, Arma 2 would be stat padder heaven.

Nah, I think I'll pass.

I would like to see some kind of ranking system. Right now the servers dont really remember you and it's stupid on some servers that you must play continuously for hours before you can touch some of the vehicles.

Not that im bothered either way but,

Maybe just a time played in MP Rank?

10hrs = LCpl

25hrs = Cpl etc etc

Finally a pole that has the correct outcome.

Ranking missions only

I also think ranking is a bit arbitrary in a game like Arma 2. I mean how are you gonna give points for what really counts in Arma? Obedience? Keeping close to your team? Helping others? Maintaining ordered stance? Not giving away your position?

You need a real person to judge and award points, because Arma isn't about HOW MANY ENEMY DUDES I CAN KILL LOL1! It's about how usefull you are. It's about quality not quantity.

That's like... subjective and stuff.

^Insert the above here^

There have been people with more points than I could ever care to gather in BF2. And I would not ever go on a mission in Arma II with them. Ranks mean nothing against character/maturity and skill with a team. The trend seems to be the higher the points, the more rambo the player. (I know, *well duh?!!?*)

Oh for me they can add a ranking system. I couldn't care less...

BUT let them loose all their ranks and medals if the player dies :p.

Ranking is ... wrong ... it makes players try to get the most kills etc and ruins teamplay. Honestly, yes, A2 is not perfectly realistic but neither is it an "arcade game" by any means. It isn't about points or ranks, it's about how good you are at helping your team achieve victory. I'm even against kill messages and points displayed at the end of matches, it should tell you what team won and that's it, maybe what players are still alive (though respawns nullify this one).

Yes, the [public servers] are disorganized, but does anyone think for a minute that a ranking system will improve this?

Edit: Yeah, Master gamawa and Scrub nailed it above.

Perhaps I'm floating in the wrong boat, but having a customizable weapons kit would be outstanding. I mean, let's face it. It works. Why have the means to fit a weapon to your own personal preference or necessity. I don't mind the pre-set weapons already in-game, and the gear is a great step in the direction, though having a completely customizable weapon would be the next step. Why hesitate? Like I said earlier. It works. Call of Duty 4 nearly perfected the system. It's not too "streamline" to adopt what works. Just my two cents.

On the surface ranking seems like a good idea until you see a group of muppets in game purposely shooting each other then reviving, shooting then reviving etc.

As they say in Thai boxing "The belt is in the ring"

Perhaps I'm floating in the wrong boat, but having a customizable weapons kit would be outstanding. I mean, let's face it. It works. Why have the means to fit a weapon to your own personal preference or necessity. I don't mind the pre-set weapons already in-game, and the gear is a great step in the direction, though having a completely customizable weapon would be the next step. Why hesitate? Like I said earlier. It works. Call of Duty 4 nearly perfected the system. It's not too "streamline" to adopt what works. Just my two cents.

But don't forget that that is nothing like the real world military, you can't "pimp" your weapons. Not to mention that it seriously degraded Call of Duty 4, it didn't feel "military", it felt "gangsta", like a bunch of randoms running around shooting each other for no reason. I'd prefer not to have them.

In fact I'd prefer to see more missions where you chose a role and were given the equipment to go with it (which is just a more convenient method than already used - picking a soldier to play as).

In reality you will not get promoted during one single mission (which is normally played in MP servers), at least not more than one rank. So I think gaining multiple ranks during one mission is stupid.

But you could get some medals yes.

I wouldn't mind that, since I mostly play with my friends on LAN and my missions have nothing to do with the military. Sometimes we play 'civilians caught up in the war', sometimes we are hired guns that take special missions the military doesn't want to be associated with and other times we just fuck around in a map full of enemies weapons and vehicles.

It would be fine in my case...

But implementing such a system in the case of realistic war would suck. There should be servers for military games where you are assigned a role and a weapon that works in a squad and "pimp my gun" servers where you can play with your own customized weapons and... funny hats or something?

It would suck so hard.

I cant understand why there is not any rank system in the game, give us something to fight for, to achieve.

The game is nice, one or two patches and would be awesome, but put some ranks, some medallions, something to play for.

You play to complete the mission.

Anyone who doesn't comprehend that is playing the wrong game or hasn't found whatever unique ArmA2 mod will create the type of gameplay they want.

But really, stick to consoles if you want shinys and ranks. This isn't Call of Duty.

I cant understand why there is not any rank system in the game, give us something to fight for, to achieve.

The game is nice, one or two patches and would be awesome, but put some ranks, some medallions, something to play for.

This isn't at all about competition, the objective of this game is to complete the objective not having some pussies playing the way to get a maximum of points and win medals ... :mad:

Plus that BiS community is kinda mature, we don't want a rank system which attract brainless people and 13 years old boys like would a big poo on the middle of a summer road with flies ... :nono:

I played Bf2 since the first day and saw what their rank system brought, so f**k no dude. :aa:

Edited by dunedain

No way.

... and if someone needs it so desperately, I'm sure it could be created as an addon.

The best achievement in game is when you keep your team m8 alive next to you. No matter what rank he/she is.

Right?

It's very simple, in coop the mission is to defeat the AI by completing the mission, and in MP defeating the other team by completing the mission / gaining a higher team score. Any ranking system (even "well-thought" ones) will do nothing but reduce that effect, and that's something I wouldn't like.