Sign in to follow this  
mad rabbit

PvP: An Endangered Species

Why do you think there is a lack of servers running ArmA2 PvP maps?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you think there is a lack of servers running ArmA2 PvP maps?

• No-one else wants to play PvP.
    • PvP maps run on a server but no-one joins as there are too few players on the map.
    • Servers are dominated by CO-OP (i.e. Evolution or Domination) maps.
    • There is a lack of good PvP multiplayer maps available.
    • There are good PvP multiplayer maps available but they're too complex.

CTF / CQB players need to try the AAS mission from CoolBox.

It is amazing! :bounce3:

Yes totally agree. This is the best PvP mode out there right now. Unlike the Berzerk missions you have a clear defined mission to accomplish, instead of running around in circles.

AAS is decent in principle, but needs a lot of tuning for a lot of its missions. Some send you on longass walks, some are all about who gets the tank/aircraft, and some just have the objectives scattered like crazy. To top it all off, spawn camping is basically required to capture an area.

There is a couple of missions where it's about tanks or aircraft but they are a minimum and it's up to the host whether or not to include them. Then there are the maps that have very, very intense CQB where many times the match ends in a draw with one hell of a battle being fought.

As for spawn camping, yes that's the point, you camp your next objective until the opposing team gets it through their heads that the spawn is lost and to fallback respawn. Nothing wrong with that as that is the point...lol

Long walks do not bother me, as it teaches you that the enemy can be anywhere and you ass better find the path with the best cover and check all directions that leave you exposed to enemy fire. Who want's a game that is over in a few minutes? I like drawn out matches that make you think a few steps ahead that require a strategy.

For me, this system is what PvP should be. I suggest anyone who hasen't tried this system to check it out as they ROCK!

[DAO] Run a brilliant Hold server on a Berzerk Labs map Sobor. Its small but not too small and although they only have the one map, at the end of each round the server will change to a different time of day allowing night fighting aswell(awesome tracer fire to enjoy)

This server also allows mods so you can put your soundpacks and fps helpers into use.

Edited by Protector

As for spawn camping, yes that's the point, you camp your next objective until the opposing team gets it through their heads that the spawn is lost and to fallback respawn. Nothing wrong with that as that is the point...lol

Except if you spawn at a further base you will 100% lose the front base. If you spawn at the camped base there's at least a chance that someone have killed the spawn camper by the time you respawn. Therefore even if you're 99% sure you're going to get killed as soon as you spawn, it's still a better idea to spawn there. Also killing people who are still running their re-gear script and can't do anything isn't exactly huge fun either. Sure it beefs up your score but I don't enjoy having a fat score, I enjoy having a good fight on the way to making my team win. Spawn camping helps my team win, but it's not a good fight, it's shooting people that can't shoot back until either we get more people in the zone than them or they have someone manage to somehow kill me. It's overall bad gameplay (not to mention bad realism).

An easy fix would be that instead of 2 "contested" zones, 1 red and 1 blue, you would have 1 contested "black" zone where neither team can respawn. Once that base is fully captured by 1 team, the next base of the opposing team becomes "black". That way nobody actually respawns in the middle of the action no matter what. Also if you do decide to spawn camp anyway you have to travel 2X the distance and while you're spawn camping you're not capping. Plus since there is 1 contested zone that is neither blue nor red you can make the blue/red zones "protected" (like the main bases are).

This easy fix would result in similar gametype but have much better gameplay.

I love the huge scale PVP like the Berzerk Labs Hold games....I just wish there were more of them with better Ping... IMO it doesn't get any better than a HOLD game with 20+ VS 20+... the problem is communication.. BI needs to get the in game vioce chat working smooth... I know it's hard but it is a necessity in PVP and takes the game to a new level... I understand Vent is the way to go but getting everyone (20+) in a vent chat is a Pita....

If people could just jump in a game and clearly understand each other that alone could save PvP....

I haven't been 'tending' to this thread very well as their have been a lot of good changes to my local server in Australia of late.

However I think the survey was pretty successful in showing that the change needs to happen at the server level because the desire is certainly there from the player for PvP. In addition, this change shouldn't discard Dom/Evo maps. They're excellent maps and I also enjoy playing them!

On that note, if anyone in Australia (or overseas with a good connection) is looking for a good PvP server, come visit OGN. Especially on Friday and Sunday nights and we play lots of AAS maps with a dash of CTF/DM/C&H for good measure.

http://forums.ogn.com.au/showthread.php?t=63553

Mad - I may be hitting up your offer. I registered at your site and will add you to my database of PVP groups. I think the clans that enjoy these types of games need to form some sort of fellowship to fill servers for these types of games. Sharing missions and setting up events. Even some fun competitions. I am in USA with members all over, but nothing says we can't look to hook up and game. Keep in touch bud. Feel free to offer any events on our site as well. Good mature gamers having a great time is what makes it all worth it. :-)

No worries mate!

I'm just a player but you should drop into the OGN forums and say hello.

I've been with OGN since OFP in 2003. The organisation, admins and players are all great!

I am currently moving our site to a better server at the moment so it is currently down for an hour or so. I am at work (lol) and will look to hit up the forums once I get the chance to say hello bud :-)

I just got this game a few days ago. I have been extremely disappointed with the multiplayer, but I'm not even sure if it is the game's fault. I managed to find a pvp server with enough people in it and had a good time, but eventually the population dwindled and it got boring.

I see there are tons of coop server with low pings and high player counts; but there are only like 2-4 pvp servers with pings less than 100 to me and they are almost always empty.

I bought this game because I wanted a really challenging and realistic experience, and the AI is the most unrealistic part of the game. You can't snipe them or use stealth against them because they always know exactly where you are as soon as you shoot at them, even with a silenced sniper rifle from long range. The AI can uncannily detect you even when you are moving through dense forest.

I think the game has beautiful graphics and mechanics, but it really goes to waste when I can't find a server where I can play against real people.

You won't find any Public servers. However there are a few private clan servers that cater to TvT as long you do not mind joining clans

I think the grass is what kills it, or it has for me. You simply can't hide effectively against other human players. I've switched to co-op servers.

I think the grass is what kills it, or it has for me. You simply can't hide effectively against other human players. I've switched to co-op servers.

Still better than AI that don't see you beyond 175 meters unless you shoot, and when you do shoot they see you through pretty much anything that isn't an actual wall.

I dont belive in this POL, there are too many PVP!! we need more COOP!

I think it's mainly the lack of good PvP missions (Why hasn't anyone made one modelled on PR's concept?) and the popularity of playing in cadet mode. Many easy mode features screw with pvp gameplay, like enemies popping up on the map and third person.

Someone has (or at least they started). Unfortunately it hasn't gone anywhere due to lack of general interest. If you want to get involved, let me know.

I normally play on the DAO.nu BerZerk server which has 100 slots and it's a lot of fun. However I've noticed two problems lately.

1. It seems like they increased the number of objectives on some of the more recent BerZerk maps which spreads out the server population making fights less intense and I think a lot of people don't like that. Maybe the intent is to make that a vehicle map. I don't know.

2. It seems like the server is much more active during Euro primetime and falls off during US primetime. The server is usually pretty full in the afternoon here (EST) but by 9 or 10pm it has MAYBE 30/100 people on.

Hey,

I don´t read the whole long-dong thread, why isn´t there OFP 1 Competition Feeling - or do I understand / impression something wrong?

Best Regards

Not quite sure what you are referring to but there are 24 teams signed up for a CTF league at www.armaleague.com and I know kju is organising some other gamemodes for ClanBase.

How can you guys only like Co-op? One thing is for sure I would kill myself if that was the only game type available because I actually want to go against other players and not be a pansy going against bots.

How can you guys only like Co-op? One thing is for sure I would kill myself if that was the only game type available because I actually want to go against other players and not be a pansy going against bots.

How can you possibly like playing against other humans?! Same kind of reasoning ^^

Different people have different goals. Some do NOT want to be competitive but rather enjoy a specific experience intended by the mission designer, rather than the experience being at the mercy of how your opponents play :)

No one plays teamdeath match in this game?wtf is gaming coming to? how is playing with a bot better than going up against other real people? pfff this is a fail.

No one plays teamdeath match in this game?wtf is gaming coming to? how is playing with a bot better than going up against other real people? pfff this is a fail.

OFP and A1 also had next to no TDM missions. Hold, CTF and DM are the prevalent pvp types.

TDM is the only fail there. I'm all for PvP scenarios but TDM and especially DM... That's where I draw the line. Deathmatches has no place in military games. When the goal of the game is to kill another player just for the sake of killing him, its become a shooter.

TDM is the only fail there. I'm all for PvP scenarios but TDM and especially DM... That's where I draw the line. Deathmatches has no place in military games. When the goal of the game is to kill another player just for the sake of killing him, its become a shooter.

If DM has no place in Arma 2, then could you please explain to me why it's being played on the servers? Perhaps you just don't see the difference between a game and different sets of rules it is played by because in the most simple terms, deathmatch is a mission where you win by killing more than anyone else, and is effective killing not what accomplishes your goals in other kinds of missions? Nothing else has changed, you're still playing your realistic "military game" no matter what the objectives are. Learn to be more open-minded.

P.S. What's so wrong with non-BIS fps games that anything that resembles their pace of action is bad?

Edited by Celery

I will enjoy playing this game anyway I want. thanks for your crappy opinion.