Sign in to follow this  
mcbane

Is a "real" scope possible?

I was wondering if, with the ArmA2 engine, is a "real" scope possible? Something similar to Red Orchestra:

Red_Orchestra_13Shot00195.jpg

I've never liked the traditional "screen is black except for reticles" model of sniper rifles/scoped weapons. Even if the area outside the scope is blurred, it would be great for immersion, and even better for situational awareness.

3d Scopes would be awesome.

Other games that have them that come to mind are Smod Tactical and Insurgency.

825721insscopesuper.jpg

lol, this is spam?

How is this spam? It's suggesting an addon, and although it probably should go in the suggestions thread at the top of the forum, it isn't spam.

Spam? Why?

Well, I was going to put it in the suggestions section, but I was curious if anyone knew if it was even possible with the engine. Unlike Red Orchestra and Insurgency, it doesn't look like ArmA uses separate 1st and 3rd person models, so the magnification would have to be realtime.

Hope that makes sense.

ArmA2 does use the same character model for first and third person views, however there are different LODs for them. this can be observed by looking at some of the USMC force recon units. some of them have different camos (woodland/MARPAT) in first and third, and some units have gloves in 1st wile not having them in 3d (specifically then ohara model)

i would love to have 3d scopes, but from a laymans perspective, its seems rather difficult to do in this game

Unless there has been some great change in the possibility for the engine to render-to-texture since ArmA 1, it is not possible.

Oddly I know only three games with this feature Red Orchestra, Insurgency and Killing Floor. :confused:

Many people, including me, have already suggested such feature. That would be awesome, but at its current state the Real Virtuality 3 can't even handle parallax sights which work properly for everyone so don't expect any 3D scope in the near future. ;)

Edited by dunedain

also Hitman: Blood Money ;)

Would be nice but I'm not sure there's a machine out there that could afford the framerate hit required to render the scene twice.

That's why you can switch to the classic scope on Red Orchestra. :)

Would be nice but I'm not sure there's a machine out there that could afford the framerate hit required to render the scene twice.

Yup, I guess this is the main problem, RV3 can't render the scene twice yet. So it's not possible to mod it into there beside a patch or addon, but that's very unlikely I guess.

i guess it could THEORETICALLY be possible with use of something like armalib to zoom in, take a screenshot and load that as texture with scope circle as alpha for it - but the slowdown this kind of hackery would produce would make it very impractical

i wish games would already use raytracing for graphics

stuff like this wouldn't have to be faked with silliness, but simulated through actual optics

and vehicle mirrors aswell

10 years... 10 years...

Many people, including me, have already suggested such feature. That would be awesome, but at its current state the Real Virtuality 3 can't even handle parallax sights which work properly for everyone so don't expect any 3D scope in the near future. ;)

The alpha bug is completely irrelevant to RV's ability to render to texture or your machine's capability to render the scene twice.

Seriously ? :D ..

I guess I was just a little satiric. ;)

Edited by dunedain

Note that insurgency 1st person weapon models are 2d, which makes a lot of effects much easier to make, but the end result is a lot less pretty due to the fact the model is 2d and not 3d.

I think, on a practical level, that ArmA2 cannot render one screen inside another.

Note that insurgency 1st person weapon models are 2d, which makes a lot of effects much easier to make, but the end result is a lot less pretty due to the fact the model is 2d and not 3d.

Er... no they're not, according to what definition of 2D?

i guess it could THEORETICALLY be possible with use of something like armalib to zoom in, take a screenshot and load that as texture with scope circle as alpha for it - but the slowdown this kind of hackery would produce would make it very impractical

i wish games would already use raytracing for graphics

stuff like this wouldn't have to be faked with silliness, but simulated through actual optics

and vehicle mirrors aswell

Damn i feel silly wishing for that brainplug that would render everything else useless :-), render game directly on brain, get nuts in days! Yay!

? all relative but even so ..
Er... no they're not, according to what definition of 2D?

I'm not sure if I understood well but maybe he says that it's easier to make well detailled/animated weapons in the Source or Unreal engine cause the first person view is separated from third person player model which isn't the case on the Real Virtuality engine ? :confused:

Edited by dunedain

Well that's why I asked 'by what definition' because, unified with the world view or not, they are most certainly 3D and IMO they are (with the possible exception of the M4/M16) much prettier than the equivalents in ArmA. I'd rather put that down to resource (after all BIS have a whole battlefield of stuff to model and animate) as high-fidelity first-person assets could surely exist inside their own LOD.

It's not really "real" though, I mean if you were to hold the gun away from you and point it yes you would see the scope, everything through it and then peripheral vision would still show around it. But it seemed like you were suggesting a "real life like" scope when your zoomed in and technically your closing one eye, with the target eye focused flush with the scope soy our not going to be seeing anything... that's accurate and is how Arma 2 shows it.

Seriously ? :D ..

I guess I was just a little satiric. ;)

Really, was that really satire?