Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

In light of the recent beta patch, and the implementation of AToC, is there any further tweaking that can be done in the Nvidia cp?

Edited by Khugan

For the cheap seats -

PhysX has absolutely no effect on ArmA 2 (on or off) or any other game that does not use it. The Physx driver is entirely separate from the video driver.

bare in mind lot of these first post suggestions became useless as drivers were updated and changed etc ...

Hi all,

Thought I'd post my issue here first in case it's Nvida related.

Recently I have been having issues with ' darking clouding ' around objects. It is especially noticeable around trees, foliage and objects requiring AA such as Ariels and poles etc. Whilst moving foliage renders slowly and goes much darker than it used to.

The overall effect is like playing with a dirty, oily screen...

Whilst always having texture issues with pop ups on foliage and lagged rendering on objects it has been made worse with the clouding issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are a couple of screen shots. Please note these won't give a clear idea as motion makes the issue worse.

In the first one you can see the power lines to the left of the Merlin are dark and cloudy, these flicker when in motion. In the screen shot it appears as a dark line along the ground...

Image > 100kb

In the second one you can see the ariels on top of the control tower doing the same thing. also a dark cloud appears near the top of a ' street light ' to the right of the soldier and infront of the Bradley.

Image > 100kb

These shots just give a very slight idea. Motion makes the issues much, much worse.

Below are my current settings. All lowish just to show that I'm not stressing my comp.

Image > 100kb

I run the game off ARAMA 2 Launcher with ' skip splash screen, CPU count 4, Max Mem @2047 and priority high ' all set.

FPS is between 45-50.

Nvida settings are:

NVDAA22.png

NVDAA21.png

My comp specs are:

i940 @ 3.5Ghz

1 x GTX 460 @ 825Mhz

128 GB C300 SSD

10G DDR3 RAM

Driver is

266.58 WHQL

Edited by Zipper5

Hi all,

Recently I have been having issues with ' darking clouding ' around objects. .

Hi Sarp,

try with ‘Ambient occlusion’ off in the nvidia control panel-->program settings

Hi Sarp,

try with ‘Ambient occlusion’ off in the nvidia control panel-->program settings

That's done the trick!! Thank you.

Any idea how to get rid of the texture opo ups and rendering lag on objects?

I have an SSD so I'm not bottlenecking at the read/write process...

Thanks

Sarp

Is the ambient occlusion toggle not available for gtx260 cards? I can't see it in my options list.

That's done the trick!! Thank you.

Any idea how to get rid of the texture opo ups and rendering lag on objects?

I have an SSD so I'm not bottlenecking at the read/write process...

Thanks

Sarp

You're welcome.

I don't really have troubles with texture popups, so maybe you can copy

my nvidia control panel settings and see if there are any improvements

NvidiaControlPanel.jpg

NvidiaControlPanel1.jpg

Nvida settings are:

Quoting hotlinked image

My comp specs are:

i940 @ 3.5Ghz

1 x GTX 460 @ 825Mhz

128 GB C300 SSD

10G DDR3 RAM

Driver is

266.58 WHQL

How come you are using Antialiasing -Transparency = 4xSupersampling? Is that some thing you chose or is it unintentional? I ask because I have found it is the only way of fixing a problem with in game antialiasing (single white pixels flickering on some trees/bushes), but I cant use it because it cripples my FPS, badly. Are you using it to circumvent that problem?

Also all you guys should try forcing Anisotropic Filtering from the driver to x16. Textures look way sharper than the max in game setting (which must be Filtering x8 or something). The performance impact is unnoticeable on any hardware less than 6 years old.

Edited by Zipper5

Just installed 266.58. Couple of nice things of note.

Firstly, the PC didn't require a restart after the driver finished installing.

Secondly, the installer now has various options including clean install and the ability to REMOVE phyxs.

Firstly, the PC didn't require a restart after the driver finished installing.

Ever since using Vista on release, and now W7, I may have seen 1 Nvidia driver that required a reboot. I let the drivers come thru windows updates only...now adays.

In the early days of Vista, I would test each and every driver that was released at guru3d.com, which each always required a reboot b/c it was a must to run a driver cleaner in safe mode.

I've been in rebootville this week having just installed a new mobo, cpu and memory so not having to sit through one more was a pleasant surprise.

The display driver did (and always has) restarted itself a couple of times during the install, perhaps that's enough now? I reasoned it was down to the fact my new motherboard might be clevererer than the old one. :)

I need help with GTX 570. If I set Video Memory to "Default", like I did with my old GTX 275, I get terrible gray triangles all over the screen. If I set VM to "Very High" or lower I can play but I get freezes in towns and when switching sniper optics. GTX 275 on "Default" was much smoother in that cases.

An interesting fact is that I'm having the same trouble with previous Armed Assault. "Default" setting of Video Memory brings artifacts.

Card: Palit GTX 570, dr 266.58

Game Ver: Arma2 CO

System: Core I7 950, 3Gb Ram

Are there any solutions to this problem?

Edited by sudden

sudden I dont have a solution but I would like to ask about your FPS in the game compared to the GTX 275. Do you get much higher FPS now then before?

@sudden

Iv got an GTX 570 also but got my Memory set to very hight, in time to time i get freezes in game at some points but this is not due to your card. What patch are you useing in ArmA/OA? Also look at Parrotnut post try them settings.

@Nikiforos

Lol yes, iv upgraded from an GTX 260 and the FPS was an big jump in goods. With settings on very high im getting around 30 FPS on benchmarks. Also CPU does play an role in this too, iv OC my 8400 to 3.8 and seen the FPS get better.

@1in1class

As I remember "Very high" setting on Video Memory means 512 Mb and with "Default" setting selected the game tries to autodetect the amount of video memory in the system. Correct me, if I am wrong. The problem is that I can't get smooth gameplay with "Very high" on 570 compared to "Default" mode on 275 even when I set all settings to "Normal", like I did when I had 275 installed. Of course, average FPS is much higher on 570 than on 275, at some places on Chernarus it even hits 100, but when a lot of textures are to be loaded (f.e. in Chernogorsk) FPS drops down and sometimes distant trees and objects are seen as low-polygonal LODS switching to normal LODS only when I zoom in on them. I suppose this to be a driver problem, because I have the same issue in Armed Assault too. I've tried to change every parameter including those in Arma2.cfg with "Read only", but "Default" setting still brings artifacts. The only thing that worked for me was to set Textures to "Low", Video Memory to "Very high", Objects to "Normal" and keep Viewdistance at 1000m to give the game more memory for textures.

And you're right about CPU. It was the most significant change when I upgraded my Quad Q6600 to i7 550. At last battles 100 vs 100 AIs became playable. :-))

@Nikiforos

For me 570 is not yet the best solution for Arma with current drivers, but for other games it is, for sure. I have to play all my favorite games again with all setting on MAXIMUM. :-)

@Pauliesss

Thanx a lot, m8! I'll try new drivers tonight and post here if there's any difference.

Edited by sudden

Anybody notice any changes with the new beta drivers? Changelog looked pretty light this time

Might just wait for the WHQL vers for once :o unless i hear good things

I have them installed, but really no difference compared to 266.58 WHQL.

NViDiA BETA 267.31 released yesterday, fixing one bug from previous beta driver

• This driver is identical to v267.24 except for a single bug fix for using GeForce GTX 580 with multiple monitors.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Theres no option to disable physx for me in the nvidia control panel :(

I'm trying to reach Nvidia Support for the solution now. Will post results here.

I got the EVGA GTX560ti 1GB DDR5 and Im loving it for Arma2 OA! Very sweet upgrade for me from my EVGA GTX275 868DDR3 card.

Vid Mem is set to default for best performance on textures. Everything else at V High...AA at max....1920-1080 rez.....Post Proc disabled...v sync enabled...HDR normal. Smooth.