Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

@meade95: What part of HighEnd dont you understand? How many highend cards have you owned before? What temperatures do you think a videocard with almost the fastest chip (two even) should have? swapping the card will have no effect at all the Dell tech support noob should have spotted this. the next card will sound the same and thats called 'working as designed' as we call it in ICT land. Also remember that the card will not melt at 100 deg.C its not made of water. For drivers usually the latest is the best for me i try them all and each time they get a little better (guru3d.com is your frend) then before but the temps never change!

@meade95: What part of HighEnd dont you understand? How many highend cards have you owned before? What temperatures do you think a videocard with almost the fastest chip (two even) should have? swapping the card will have no effect at all the Dell tech support noob should have spotted this. the next card will sound the same and thats called 'working as designed' as we call it in ICT land. Also remember that the card will not melt at 100 deg.C its not made of water. For drivers usually the latest is the best for me i try them all and each time they get a little better (guru3d.com is your frend) then before but the temps never change!

The sound of the card (with fans) is not a problem at all. In fact, it runs pretty quiet considering the GPU fan goes up to 90%. However, from benchmarks I've seen (on youtube) and read about, on the GTX 590.....Mid 80'sC is high. Especially for gamming less than 20 mins and reaching these Temps. Perhaps mid 80c's is just fine........but is why I'm looking for opinions. 20 mins into gamming, with a tremendous amount of airflow (into and out of box) those temps just seem odd to me. Maybe not.

lol and here I thought my humble GTX260 was running hot at ~60° C hehe

I was using NvTweak and apparently it came with a mild OC. Because when I uninstalled it the GPU now runs around 50°C under heavy use.

Also remember that the card will not melt at 100 deg.C its not made of water.

As a science teacher .... at 100degC water will turn to steam :) Sorry I couldn't resist!

Curious, what Temp's are other GTX 590 card owners experincing when running A2/OA. My card is reaching mid 80c's (with Fan profile reaching 90%). Seems way too high. My system just RTM my video card for a new one.....But I'm just curious what others are showing for GPU Temps..... Thanks

Well if it helps i get 60c - 63c fan speed 65% playing A2OA - when i played STALKER Clear Sky i was getting temps of 70c - 75c fan speed 70-75%. Fan speed is controlled by EVGA Precision.

In A2OA I'm still having low FPS problems in towns - 20-35FPs with settings on V High and the GPU's are only at 20% usage. In fact my tests have shown that with a single man running around Chernogorsk i get better FPS with Single GPU rather than Multi GPU mode!! (NVCP). Still it seems to me there are too many options in th NVCP and also in the 'in-game' video options and the more you tweak each one the more you become frustrated with the apparant no change. :mad:

Edited by MiniGunDad
fan speeds

Strange, I have GTX560Ti, and I have no option to disable PhysX. Available options are "AutoDetect", "CPU","GPU".

I don't believe there is a "disable" setting. You can disable GPU PhysX by setting it to "CPU", but I don't see any reason to do so.

Hi

I would like to ask which drivers perform best for Arma 2.

Im still using some old drivers 275.33 and I would like to know a little more before updating the drivers.

Wow those drivers are ancient! Just get the latest suitalbe for your OS + bit version (32 or 64) these i know work well: Nvidia Forceware 305.53 + AMD Catalyst 12.8 an here is a good site for 3D drivers: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-GeForce--Vista-%7C-7_c32.html but dont get the GeForce 305.68 version they are only for the ENGTX6xx version cards

Don't worry about Physx, that is a real snake oil fix. Just leave it as it is, default setting. Same with things like multi gpu performance and pre render frames to 0. Just leave your nvidia profile for Arma at default.

The game used to run ok before the failure? I would imagine that you would of had to run at pretty low settings with that 430 gfx card, not too powerful :/

anyone else running this with a GT430 on a 23" monitor? I'm getting really poor performance after a RAID failure, going back to a single drive and basically doing a full reformat/fresh install.

Can't turn PhysX to off, so what do you guys have it set to? Can't quite figure out if any of the tweaks are making a damn bit of difference. I can't get over 10fps in the Benchmark 01 mission without graphics turned to poop.

Does having a mirrored raid make that big a difference?

Can't get any kind of smooth fps until I turn the gfx waaaaay down and everything looks like poo. full system specs in sig.

Did you get good performance before? The GT 430 is a pretty low-end card.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

HDR, oddly, has a lot of effect on fps, without much impact on graphics. Basically none that I notice. So that to normal.

You can really see a difference at night. During the day I would agree with you, there is little difference in quality. At night, though, the difference is huge.

My system is very powerful, most games run very well, with ArmA there have always been problems with the graphics.

Why not try to solve the problem with a patch focused only on graphics?

With the latest generation of video cards there are still problems of LOD and a bad texture loading of the landscape and grass.

there is always a couple of aspect that determine the outcome of the FPS. For arma most missions are usermade and played online with only a server and a few coper lines to make it all work together (server FPS influences the client FPS). tough i think some of all these aspects can be optimezed more with some hard work but arma and nvidia 3D malipulation have also come a long way sids last year and they have both done very well. With 1x580GTX my average is about 30/40 frames online no mather what with not to many old object or smoke in the neighbourhood. Even tough i like Blastcore its real have on the system if you run on high resolutions maybe you use this too? maybe the size of the maps also make it run worse then games with smaller more compact areas like C0D or GW2

[/color]The more I fiddle with it, the more I'm starting to think my memories of what my settings were are a little optimistic. :/

GT 430 isn't very powerfull but then again I managed to get playable frames on my second comp with a GT250 and some comprimises.

some tips for low end cards.

1. Always start at 100% native resolution, if you have a 720 or 1080p monitor you will getaway with AA low or disabled.

2. turn post process off (mines always low anyways coz I don't like the glowing stufff)

3. Anisotropic Filtering low if you want grass

4. HDR to low

5. Texture depending on VRAM and what you think it can handle but most will handle normal, .

6. Terrain, and object distance may vary from map to map, and goes in hand with view distance. You may find that if you set them too low you'll get too much shifting geometry and it may even lower your fps.

7. View distance to whatever it can handle but don't expect much over 1500

8. Frame locking is a good way to ensure your vcard has a bit of headroom entering challenging sections and will help smooth the experience, big time, I had my GTX210 locked at 30fps max.

9. Be realistic, traditionaly animation is 24fps, VHS is 26fps, and you don't find yourself worrying when watching these, so think more in terms of minimum fps and what you find playable.

disabling GPU PhysX by setting it to "CPU" and started game..

Running Geforce GT220 on quad core on all low settings visual distance at 1258, guns fire faster things move more smoother and game loads faster..

Thanks all.

Just downloaded the 310.90 NVidia drivers and my LOD issues are HORRIBLE....whats the best performing drivers you guys have found to handle the LOD?

Thanks!

havened tested the new driver yet but the previous 3/4 version of the 310.xx series seem to function fine for me?

Hah, I was getting a weird flashing effect when firing weapons in first person, I didn't even think to realize that when I turned global AO on my GTX680 the other day that it would cause that. I had mostly been playing Planetside 2 and only noticed the weird flash now.

either way that fixed it, thanks

After a fresh install of Win8 and using 310.90 i had terrible FPS and stuttering and very bad LOD. Thought it was a Win8 Problem but after installing 310.70 all is perfect now. Even more FPS as under Win7 now.

From my perspective i would suggest to skip 310.90 and stick to 310.70.

Hello, I just bought myself a new gaming pc, now when I play ArmA 2 I get only 16-20 fps on very high/very low settings. I play a lot of wasteland the last days but it is really annoying to have such a low fps after buying a really good gaming pc.

I've tried some things to fix it like: all video settings, older gtx driver version and thats it;)

I asked people ingame and people with a gpu as good as mine get arround 50-60 fps.

SP is good though, 50-60 fps looking straight, 170 fps while looking at the sky.

My pc specs (the ones that are important for Arma 2 I think):

GPU: Asus Geforce gtx 690 4096 MB

CPU: Intel Core I7 3770 3.40 GHz, boxed, incl. videochip, Quad Core.

HDD:Seagate Barracuda 1 TB, 7200 Rpm, 64 MB, Bulk.

I hope someone have any idea how I can increase my fps.

-Jack-

If you get low FPS online this could be due to the server data feedback beeing to slow. Try some other servers to find it out. Also what OS you got? Did you install the Intel chipset driver?

Edited by larsiano

If you get low FPS online this could be due to the server data feedback beeing to slow. Try some other servers to find it out. Also what OS you got? Did you install the Intel chipset driver?

I have: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 NL, Home Premium.

Never heard about an Intel chipset driver.

Can you please explain what that does?