Sign in to follow this  
wobbly

Fed up of Morons

I was a massive fan of Op Flash and enjoyed most at LAN Parties because people used to work together using team work.

I didn't get ARMA 1 but decided to get ARMA 2 and although there is a bundle of things to patch there is great potential in the game except for one thing.

I've been a gamer since the ZX81, going through the C64, Amiga 500, 1200 and then onto PC. I've ran a UK gaming community for over 10 years and played through everything Multiplayer like CS (beta 3), through BF1942 (DC) to BF2 (Reality Mod) and the COD series. I am in the UK military so not a kiddie and wish to play this game in a serious manner with my friends who are also Servicemen. Now don't all jump down my neck here but I thought that the ARMA community would be bereft from clowns and bellends but it sadly seems that every server I jump on reminds me of the day they released counterstrike as a retail product. that community soon filled up with twats and kiddies who thought that spoiling other peoples pleasure was more important than working as a team to complete an objective. Over the last two days I've experienced the worst kind of team killing since Counterstrike and every server has dickheads taking off in heles on their own and people sitting in their own spawn site just mowing down everyone that spawns. This has happened on every single server and its as much fun as pulling a tooth.

I even got banned from fantastichen server today after I flew three shuttles to the LZ in the Osprey today dropping off over 30 troops. As I got back to the MOB I was rocketed which caused the aircraft to yaw left. In a bid to get it on the ground I tried to steady it and slowly bring her down away from the main hele pads to avoid a collision and what did I get for my troubles? A fucking Ban.

What sort of community is this for gods sake?

Sounds bad that does mate, I dunno what to say...Maybe look at games with Kelly's Heroes or shack tactical. I got into these games to get away from the 'hipshooter' crowd, so I understand your frustration. Maybe some of our clan players can help you find a better place ...?

Good luck finding a good game in the meantime buddy, we're not all like that :)

Thanks Mark, glad it's not just me.

Hi wobbly

Just explain your case to the server admin on their forum. The clans have been logging TK events and ID's so the actual event will have been recorded and you can make your case there.

Kind Regards walker

No game is void of morons from the get-go, unless it really sucks. BIS games have always had a trend of morons playing the game for a short while after the releases, but they eventually get bored. Also, a few bad experiences doesn't label the entire community as morons. I don't see how you could expect any game to not have them, even one such as ArmA II.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I just expected that the ARMA 2 community would be a more mature community but from my intial impression about 40 percent of people on each server I've visited are quite content to sit in their MOB team killing each other and shooting hele's down as they try to lift. I haven't seen that percentage of idiots playing a game for years :). I'm not taring everyone in the community with the same brush but I must admit that its got my anger level upto about 9.5/10.

Arma 1 was the same, it stops later on as said by the other guy, once it all settles and the admins start filtering the idiots and banning ID's they are pretty much fubard after that.

As sudgested play on the KH server when its not full hehe, and trouble makers are kicked/banned in a blink of an eye once validated they are trouble..

Dont let it put you off at all!!

Yeah, KH is a good group, we have a pretty specific setup as well, if you like the large scale, chain of command, multiple role sort of thing, check out cfarma2.com as well. We're running some coops as well as the usual weekly battle.

As most of these guys can tell you, takes a while for the dust to settle.

Edited by Mojo

I don't play MP at all anymore but I used to do some co-op and a few private games and that's where your problem lies, going to mainstream public servers in the first place. If I were going to play at all I would jump in on the SimHQ nights or look into playing with the Shack Tactical folks (I even remember reading about a SimHq vs ShackTac session if I remember right), and those are just the ones easily found without searching.

If you can hold off a few months until another ego shooter is released, then you will have a better time.

I remember CS going retail and morning the end of an era. Suddenly the player age dropped from college level to almost middle school. It's been my experience that this group of gamers follows the new graphics and content. We'll see a drop when either WOW or TF2 updates again.

Can't wait to get my copy in the US. I'm sad to hear that I have *************** / Rambo kids in my future.

Look into Tactical Gamer. They were always very team based when I played with them in ArmA. I don't know if they are in ArmA II or not yet though seeing as how I don't have it... yet.

You just have to find the correct servers mate! :)

Tanks fellas, I will try Kelly's Heroes servers when they are unlocked.

If our public server is locked at a particular time it will be a temporary measure. If the admin has forgotton to unlock the server just drop into our TS and ask the admin to unlock it for you. It is our policy that our clan members MUST be on TS if they are admin. Rest assured that I personally check the server logs every day and ban any pid's I find that have been TKing and escaped a clan admin.

As people have said the Multiplayer abuse by some will calm down it happened when ArmA was released. They make cheats we block them, they make more cheats we block them again, eventually they move on.

Note to all new server admins.

Make sure that you have signature checking enabled and install only the public keys of the mods/addons that you wish to allow on your server.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Tactical Gamer is excellent for a fairly laid back server where teamwork/communication and maturity are a must. They don't have their ArmA 2 server up yet, though, it should be up soon. They have had a good bit of events lately where the only requirement is going on the forums and signing up for it, but even just that gets most if not all of the little bad you can get with the server public like it is the rest of the time. Makes some great games.

Heard lots of good about Kelly's Heroes though, I just found Tactical Gamer first because I was recommended it immediately after getting ArmA.

Give it time. People eventually rally against the shitty servers and fully support the good ones.

Whoever runs bad servers are hurting themselves more than they think.

One danger with banning player ID's based on server log TKs is that you could easily ban the wrong guy.

For example, a TK'ing ADHD 12 y/old who is gunner in a vehicle mows down other players. But the kills count as the driver's, who may be perfectly innocent.

equally a helo pilot could have his tail rotor shot out and get his crash landing wrong. instantly racking up half a dozen TK's.

I'm not telling you how to run your server but always keep the door open to appeals against a ban.

Hi Tozmeister

The new server logging systems allow admins to discriminate between types of kills. If you are banned you can go before the server admin or the clan court and get it overturned.

At the moment there is a little bit of "give them enough rope" going on the clans are gathering evidence and intelligence.

Helicopter pilots are respected in the community, good ones are treated like gold by their communities and jealousy guarded. If people are shooting at copters get their ID and pass it on to the server Admin

The pilots roll

A pilot should take a minute, before take off to examine the LZ in the Map; looking for possible obstructions such as Electricity Pylons, also consider slope, try to land uphill, but if it is too steep axe it.

PLAN PLAN PLAN both Ingress and Egress routes. Choose routes that avoid exposure to enemy fire; such as valleys and hills. If you have the chance a pilot should rotate the helo over the LZ to see the lay of the land and so the Pilot and door gunners can spot obstructions, but this will not be possible over a hot LZ. DO NOT OVERFLY OBJECTIVES that have not been taken, helicopters are precious things. Helicopters need to stay about 600m behind allied lines.

If you are hit in the tail gain height, default key [q], and use Yellow vehicle channel to tell all passengers to bail out, then you do the same. If you want to try to save your copter so it can be repaired: You can gain a lot of height then stick the nose down to gain speed this will straighten you up and allow you to fly somewhat, then as you come into a spot near BUT NOT OVER the base, cut the engine, and try to do an auto-rotation landing.

DO NOT PRACTICE BEING A HELICOPTER PILOT IN MP!

One thing to ALL NEW GUYS please do not practice being a pilot in MP! The SP mission editor is the place for that, stick in some enemy AA units so you can get used to choosing LZ's that will not attract their attention. Practice, Practice, Practice. Find out what slopes you can land on and at what angle and how you need to fly to land on them and take off from them. Practice Autorotation Landings, do this even when you experienced, it is part of your pilots skills and needs to practiced regularly. If you set a mission in the editor you can include a tail rotor failure script, or brute force it by setting up a playable AI with an an MG or heavy sniper rifle as well as you in the pilot roll, then team switch a shoot out your tail rotor, then team switch back into the pilot roll to practice Autorotation landings.

Moving to MP Pilot

Once you have practiced. Act as door gunner for say 7 MP trips to get a feel for what is needed. On your first three MP pilot trips out; Tell the pasengers you are new and ask for experienced door gunners; if they are good they will be talking to you about the LZ and when over it telling you whether you are clear to land. Choose the safest LZ for your first few trips. Beware of yellow chain, Red chain and lag spikes or Desync, if they happen consider autohover. If you have a bad ping do not choose any pilot roll. Look for servers that have good pings for you.

The commanders roll

A good commander should point out a range of LZ's looking out for Power Pylons and cables. Clearings in forests are often favoured. Then let pilot choose the one they are happiest with. The Pilot should take a minute to look hard at the map for possible obstructions such as power lines and choose ingress and egress routes that reduce exposure particularly to Objective AA defenses. In the Helicopter the pilot is captain and has last word about their bird and the LZ.

Once you have a secure LZ keep using it; a good battle commander will keep it safe. If you think a closer LZ is now safe let the pilots know. Beware commander there are scripts out that will setpos Guarded By OPFOR trigger over a frequently used LZ, so things will get harder as the mission makers improve!

Crew Chief and Door Gunner's Role

The Crew Chief is the primary eyes and voice on LZ, the door gunner should still holler out if that right side is not clear. The Crew Chief & door gunner should also look hard at the map for possible obstructions such as power lines. It is the duty of Crew Chief & door gunner to look down at the LZ and tell the pilot if they are clear below and behind. Saying "Forward 10", "Left 10" "rotate 20" etc. until the pilot is clear. All measurements in metres and degrees, a metre is the approx same as a yard. The Crew Chief & door gunner needs to pay particular attention to telegraph polls and sign posts and other man made objects, as well as the odd tall tree sitting on its own in the LZ. All are chopper killers.

Passengers roll

Tell the pilot thank you for getting you to the LZ safe. Protect their LZ. If the tail rotor gets hit get ready to eject. If you see or hear of a copter comming in dammaged or hear an emergency landing request. Grab a repair truck and fuel truck but keep back until rotors have stopped, then race to the the copter to get it repaired and refuled congratulate the pilot for a safe landing. Rember to give the pilot room to land at the extraction LZ. Pop smoke to tell them where to land. It is the job of all on the ground to tell the pilot they are under fire and to abort.

If you see numpties tail rotor shooting report to the server admin, use the space Bar to see their game name. They will be FRAPSed then banned. If the server admin is not there, the game admin can kick them and you can report with proof via FRAPS or a [Print Screen] key Photo to the clans forum.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Look into Tactical Gamer. They were always very team based when I played with them in ArmA. I don't know if they are in ArmA II or not yet though seeing as how I don't have it... yet.

Server will be up soon dont worry ;)

I played ArmA2 at a friend, i actualy loved it. We didnt do MP since he has a realy bad connection and his PC aint anything to brag about but i was wondering. I got a brand new 8800gt and im gonna buy a game, either ArmA2 or Empire total War. I like playing tacticaly, but im not a very long lasting player, so ill probably play ArmA2 trough July, myb eaven into August then i wont play it for a long time. So im wondering, right now are there team oriented servers that dont require you to join a clan and arent filled with morons, and is there a good number of nicely populated servers?

Im realy hoping for ArmA2, in OFP and ArmA it felt to big, firefights felt artifitial (2 squads in a line firing at each other, yippey) and i didnt realy give MP a chance.

One more vote to Tacticalgamer. No need to join anything if you don't want to, but even then registering at the forums is highly recommended and it is a requirement for TS access. More experienced members are always around to run the game and lead the fireteams, so it's very easy for a newbie to jump in. Listen to orders and don't be a jackass, and you'll have guaranteed fun on the server(if you can stay awake past planning and briefing :))

Arma2 server isn't up yet, but as Fans and a few others said it probably won't take long anymore.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault/

Hello Walker, If that advice was aimed solely at me, then yes i know. been flying on 4-axis joystick since OFP. Not saying im a great pilot but i know how to use NOE and deadground. Oh, and a map.

On a side note in OFP when flying a plane the throttle was just that, a throttle. In ArmA and now ArmA2 the throttle control is really more of a fly-by-wire speed setting with the actual throttle setting determined by the computer. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Back on topic, here's hoping the kiddies find something new and shiny soon.

That's all true guys what you are saying but to be honest ArmA, 1 or 2 same thing, don’t have proper PvP mod at least some who will be use all advantage ArmA offering.

Berzerk, Warfare are not good enough no real action between players.

Only dissent attempt to do that is CoolBox-SBS- AAS map’s which you can play on “ATOW Arma2 server DeDi†or on AGW tournament server. This AAS maps is like AAS in Joint Operation style.

I’m just waiting when somebody finally realize that ArmA desperately need “Project Reality mod†because in my opinion ArmA is perfect platform for such mod and if we create one it will be “to the ballsâ€.

BTW cheers wobbly when you describe you it was like you describing me to. Where is the good old time when we play Beach Head or Lost Patrol and not to forget Cannon Fodder, “war is never been so much fun...â€

Hello all

I'm also having to use the pub servers, and usually the un-admin ones, as i get insta kicked from Kellys Heroes, suicide, etc etc.

I dont know why, could be language mod or custom skin.

(I do wish we would get accurate feedback to insta kicks, so i could disable offending mod etc)

Anyhoo, I am also well miffed with the kiddies (i believe "asshat" is the in-vogue term?) and there do seem to be more of them than i remember in OFP/A1.

IMHO the whole voting for kick and admin process needs to be re-thought out and redesigned as it just does not work in practice.

You'll never rid the world of idiots but we do need to be able to kick em for the etirety of a session, easily and quickly.

How? I don't know, but would be happy to table ideas.

When? Yesterday.

Rgds

LoK

PS @Walker, you didn't edit your "rolls" in this thread :)