Sign in to follow this  
welcome to hell

One thing that really bothers me

The brave, gallant Americans vs the moustache-twirlingly evil Russia (or equivalent) is getting very old.

The "war on terror" would make a good campaign setting, if only because we get to see some moral ambiguity. As much as the Republican party would like it, the world is not black and white.

Hey, even just adding in some other allied nations like Britain, Germany, France, China or Iran would mix things up a bit.

My request to BIS for an expansion or next game is: "PLEASE can we have something a bit different? The cold war ended 20 years ago and it's been done to death for 3 games in a row."

How about THE WHOLE WORLD against America? It would be great fun imho! Imagine an Eastern Hemisphere Coalition vs the Americas. The game of the future I tell ya!

How about set in the year 2015. The run down, poor economy of America fighting to protect their land against the new super power, China from invading and taking over America.

Would be a interesting twist on things.

How about set in the year 2015. The run down, poor economy of America fighting to protect their land against the new super power, China from invading and taking over America.

Would be a interesting twist on things.

You know I reckon if you addd another 20 years on that it actually becomes feasible lol.

Thats what the afghan terrorist mod(S) are for....stop QQIng, more pew pewing!

To the OP Welcome To Hell

Can you please change your title to a descriptive one like:

Why do I have to fight Russians in the campaign?

or

Can I fight the Americans in the campaign?

Etc.

Also this post should be in the official missions section.

Kind Regards walker

Simply, Russia is the only major world power that can go head to head with the U.S. and this allows for an interesting game without touching on volatile subjects and creating a controversy that will be bad for business. Also it is a continuation of themes from OpF to which this is the sequel. There are other scenarios that could have been feasible, however, none would have offered as many toys out of the box and toys increase sales.

An additional factor in their choice could simply be that the devs are from Eastern Europe where *shock* folks are still sore about that whole Soviet oppression thing. People have long memories when it comes to how they've been wronged and almost none when it comes to good things that come their way. This part is pure speculation though.

I'd go with my first statement really, it just makes for plenty of fun out of the box.

An additional factor in their choice could simply be that the devs are from Eastern Europe where *shock* folks are still sore about that whole Soviet oppression thing. People have long memories when it comes to how they've been wronged and almost none when it comes to good things that come their way. This part is pure speculation though.

Given how the storyline has many parallels with Georgia but is altered so as to make it a purely one sided issue, I wouldn't call it complete speculation.

I want to see a better place to fight than the Czech Republic.

It's too beautiful.

It really doesn't suit war :( I'd love to live there or visit, but when you put soldiers (particularly the US and Russians) it just looks like a bunch of people playing dress up or toy soldiers in the backyard lol :D I want to see a place like georgia, dust and greys and suitable terrain, or Chechnya for that matter.

Which is why the ME works so well, because it's f*****! It just ... suits war. Dragon rising suffered from the same thing, it just didn't quite feel right.

WiC worked really well (the aesthetics, the game was shocking). The US looked really peaceful and clean and not "war like" but the whole atmosphere changed as things 'asploded, giving way to a grungy war look, it felt like a war.

Whatever setting is chosen it needs to be one that works properly.

I don't really like the idea of being against Russians, i know the conflict is made up but still seems kind of silly. And no i am not Russian i am from US.

Also i think only reason Russia is on opposite spectrum of the US in the game is because that they are the country that manage to compete with us in the arms race and they have a counterpart for every weapon/vehicle.

I would rather see something where superpowers become allies and fight terrorism that fits modern day setting much more.

6 factions is pretty cool idea i like that!

yeah. seems like bi's stuck in the cold war limbo. what you described not only more accurately represents the modern situation, it also sounds a lot more interesting imo.

Myself, when I bought game I didnt even start campaign because I already knew what the main campaign concept would be, so I went into mulitiplayer and started to play for Russia. I like how Russian hardware look, besides that I play Russia in all games that got Russia in it because I am Russian.

The thing is, I am not upset that US fighting against Russia in this game. I am just bored of same concept that Russia is a baddie. Sure BIS could of done campaing where Chedaky who got Russian hardware versus CDF who got US hardware, but then I wouldn't be able to play as famous Russian Specnaz.

So then I thought, if I can play as Russian in this game, why not make campaign for them. So I printed out Chernorussian map and started to think of possible scenarios.

So far I got first campaign chapter done on paper. Five missions in chapter. I got all mission scenarios made and dialogues for each mission, but then my luck turned on me...My video card died. :(

So hopefully I get my new card back soon and I can start making campaign for Russia.

Edited by Lamerinio

Myself, when I bought game I didnt even start campaign because I already knew what the main campaign concept would be, so I went into mulitiplayer and started to play for Russia. I like how Russian hardware look, besides that I play Russia in all games that got Russia in it because I am Russian.

The thing is, I am not upset that US fighting against Russia in this game. I am just bored of same concept that Russia is a baddie. Sure BIS could of done campaing where Chedaky who got Russian hardware versus CDF who got US hardware, but then I wouldn't be able to play as famous Russian Specnaz.

So then I though, if I can play as Russian in this game, why not make campaign for them. So I printed out Chernorussian map and started to think of possible scenarios.

So far I got first campaign chapter done on paper. Five missions in chapter. I got all mission scenarios made and dialogues for each mission, but then my luck turned on me...My video card died. :(

So hopefully I get my new card back soon and I can start making campaign for Russia.

Yes! That would be awesome! I'd love to play as the Russians :D

Now days if you read articles and such. Since Obama's win, both Russia and US now have been working on a way of cooperating in afghanistan and both nations are willing to improve and stablize their relationship.

I have very little against Russia, I don't play the game thinking 'Take THAT you ex-commie... neo-capitalist.. YOU! soldier! Take that!' :p It's just the Russians/USSR have the greatest quantity of the COOLest equipment that opposed the west. And in reality would put up a, seriously understated, significant fight. China/N.K would be next on my personal list, but N.K. would primarily be Russian manufacture if I'm not mistaken?

Anti-terrorist campaigns would require a significant leap in AI, AI->human communications, and opportunities to gather intel, for it to be interesting. The use of US/EU and Russian equipment allow a combined arms approach. If I saw a terrorist in an attack helo, I'd bin the game out of alternate dimension shock.

For the foot soldier (except for Fallaujah's), assymetric warefare does not seem incredibly large and diverse in it's scope. My unlearned opinion of course.

I hate the killing of war, just love the tactics, skill and cameraderie that goes along with it. :)

It really doesn't suit war :( I'd love to live there or visit, but when you put soldiers (particularly the US and Russians) it just looks like a bunch of people playing dress up or toy soldiers in the backyard lol :D I want to see a place like georgia, dust and greys and suitable terrain, or Chechnya for that matter.

You must have only been watching CNN. South Ossetia and Abkhazia are some of the most achingly beautiful places on the planet.

They're like the Swiss alps with more mystique. Chechnya is part of the same mountain range. They are a lot less pastoral than Ceske Stredohori, though. The Caucasus has been the wild west of Eurasia for the past thousand years.

Given how the storyline has many parallels with Georgia but is altered so as to make it a purely one sided issue, I wouldn't call it complete speculation.

Well I don't want to be putting words in BIS's mouths.

Work on the campaign began long before the conflict in Georgia.

Personally i'de like to see campaign addons where u get to Fight for all factions.

US campain (done)

Russian campaign also with insurgent missions

Guerilla campaign

Edited by vasmkd

Simply, Russia is the only major world power that can go head to head with the U.S. and this allows for an interesting game without touching on volatile subjects and creating a controversy that will be bad for business. Also it is a continuation of themes from OpF to which this is the sequel. There are other scenarios that could have been feasible, however, none would have offered as many toys out of the box and toys increase sales.

Controversy is probably great for business actually.

Anyway, I'm sure china, europe, pakistan, iran and many others could field a fight... even if it would not be 1:1 in strength.

Does it even matter that greatly if the game features a major power or not?Anyone with tanks and planes can be a viable foe... even a fictional one like in arma 1.

I honestly don't care what factions we get or have, just sayin'..

I don't really like the idea of being against Russians, i know the conflict is made up but still seems kind of silly. And no i am not Russian i am from US.

Also i think only reason Russia is on opposite spectrum of the US in the game is because that they are the country that manage to compete with us in the arms race and they have a counterpart for every weapon/vehicle.

I would rather see something where superpowers become allies and fight terrorism that fits modern day setting much more.

6 factions is pretty cool idea i like that!

Its better than the Chinese... Russia and the US have alot of history and all of us have some or alot of knowledge of events between Russia and America over the past 50 or so years which makes it all the more exciting imo... plus we are far more familiar with Russian weaponry than Chinese.

As for a superpower marriage to fight the "evil doer terrorists"... pfft, its a farce.

I suggest you download the US armies free propaganda tool... er game 'Americas Army 3', there should be plenty of evil evil civilians... er "terrorists" to murder... I mean to purge for 'homeland' security.

Its better than the Chinese... Russia and the US have alot of history and all of us have some or alot of knowledge of events between Russia and America over the past 50 or so years which makes it all the more exciting imo... plus we are far more familiar with Russian weaponry than Chinese.

As for a superpower marriage to fight the "evil doer terrorists"... pfft, its a farce.

I suggest you download the US armies free propaganda tool... er game 'Americas Army 3', there should be plenty of evil evil civilians... er "terrorists" to murder... I mean to purge for 'homeland' security.

I didn't know hippies played ArmA 2

Work on the campaign began long before the conflict in Georgia.

1400? 1918? 1991? Golly jee!