Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Hi, this is my first post and i have encountered a serious problem with ArmA2

The game keeps crashing to desktop with message "Error: Device freed."

Before crashing, the game constantly stops and shows "receiving...", sometimes it requires ALT+TAB switching to restore the screen from "receiving..." But most of time it just crash after switching. When the game is started the second time, it often crashes after the Disc-Check. I reboot the system but it's useless....

My hardware includes: ATI 4850, Quad 8200, 4G RAM

Driver: Catalyst 9.8

So i switch every video option to high (Except for anti-aliasing). Once the game performs pretty well at these settings, normally 22FPS+ even 40FPS+ once. I suspect the problem lies in the game itself. Today i tried to restore the video setting to normal and the graphic card setting to default, still useless.

So I need your help

Seems a few have had this problem this is all i could find... http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78912&highlight=device+freed

Is this an example of a graphic bug experienced with just ATI 4800's, or is it something everyone has? Im referring to the flickering texture which (sorry for the bad video) you can see most on the side of the corrugated building in the video below, but it occurs on the vast majority of buildings....

hmm, i thought that was normal. are there really people who don't see fickering textures? i have ATI card.

I thought i would'nt have to look back at this thread, but here i am again. So when i bought arma i had a little bit of a problem with the graphics, somehow fixed it, reformatted my pc and now im having the problems again..

HD 4890

Intel Core i7 Cpu 9 Gigs of ram, and Win Vista 64 bit.

All video drivers up to date.

Now, my problem may be similar/different than the rest. I used to have a big block of textures dissapear. Now it seems on certain textures such as the hangars i have small squares that flicker or what looks like pixels flashing whether i am still or not.

I have messed with the ingame video settings and also the settings on my HD4890, still no luck. I have also added the -winxp shortcut (still no luck). I have even went as far as going into MSconfig and putting down my max ram to 7.9 gigs ( i read where someone said that worked).

None of this has helped. I just dont understand what i did before to get the graphics to look/work cause i had no problem once i fixed it. Can anybody give me some advice as to what i should do next??

Edited by willytee

I thought i would'nt have to look back at this thread, but here i am again. So when i bought arma i had a little bit of a problem with the graphics, somehow fixed it, reformatted my pc and now im having the problems again..

HD 4890

Intel Core i7 Cpu 9 Gigs of ram, and Win Vista 64 bit.

All video drivers up to date.

Now, my problem may be similar/different than the rest. I used to have a big block of textures dissapear. Now it seems on certain textures such as the hangars i have small squares that flicker or what looks like pixels flashing whether i am still or not.

I have messed with the ingame video settings and also the settings on my HD4890, still no luck. I have also added the -winxp shortcut (still no luck). I have even went as far as going into MSconfig and putting down my max ram to 7.9 gigs ( i read where someone said that worked).

None of this has helped. I just dont understand what i did before to get the graphics to look/work cause i had no problem once i fixed it. Can anybody give me some advice as to what i should do next??

Does it look like this?

You can see a square on the metal barn/shed/whatever it is flickering.

Does it look like this?
You can see a square on the metal barn/shed/whatever it is flickering.

Similar yes, I do have a problem with textures doing so.. But there is also perfect square texture flickers, they are small, but very noticable. Sort of reminds me of the old windows screen saver, the space one. where its white squares...

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=3840;

Render_H=2160;

FSAA=1;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8; (also tried 32 which made it worse)

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2140579584;

nonlocalVRAM=2140579584;

Edited by willytee

Anyone knows if the greypolygon bug (

) is still happening with HD 5800 Series?

Tested right now if there is a change to ccc 9.9 -> chernogorsk still unplayable :( Whose fault?

unplayablethumb.jpg

Edited by telejunky

Seems a few have had this problem this is all i could find... http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78912&highlight=device+freed

I started the game without any mod or any other addons, it still crashes...

This time it crashes, when restarted, the game shows an error message "Not enough physical memory / swap file space for 524288 KB" and the game could no longer launch again unless reboot...

Edited by chn_andy
additional info

I started the game without any mod or any other addons, it still crashes...

This time it crashes, when restarted, the game shows an error message "Not enough physical memory / swap file space for 524288 KB" and the game could no longer launch again unless reboot...

Don't use the default video memory setting. It has caused me the same errors and crashing. I use very high becuase of my card or just use high and keep textures to normal.

Try that and see if it works.

Anyone knows if the greypolygon bug (
) is still happening with HD 5800 Series?

Tested right now if there is a change to ccc 9.9 -> chernogorsk still unplayable :( Whose fault?

unplayablethumb.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the game, BIS have already stated that this fault only occurs on a 'few' machines so not worth bothering about. If you are experiencing the problem with the best CPU and GPU and memory in your PC then it must be the area you live in thats the issue, there is nothing wrong with the code in the game, may be worth trying another game in the mean time.

If you are experiencing the problem with the best CPU and GPU and memory in your PC then it must be the area you live in thats the issue, there is nothing wrong with the code in the game, may be worth trying another game in the mean time.

Did I just read that right? His geographical location is causing his video memory to throw up?

Pure comedy! :D

Haha funny :D Yeah or its the monitor driver maybe, who knows LOL :D

Almost 5 months later and we still have this problem. Hooah? :confused::mad:

hmm, i thought that was normal. are there really people who don't see fickering textures? i have ATI card.

I was thinking the same thing as with my 4890 i get the same thing, tbh it doesnt bother me that much as i thought this happened to everybody? Or is it an ATI thing??

Happens to me too, it's definitely some ATI thing, but it's not that big a deal as it only happens when zooming in with a scope from long range... and only on buildings.

I'd like to know why my frame rate during an online game will slowly drop during a long round. I have my Video Memory set to Default but I can't understand the performance bogging down(?) Come to think of it, it seems to happen when we have to attack one of the small coastal towns. Too many mysteries.

Happens to me too, it's definitely some ATI thing, but it's not that big a deal as it only happens when zooming in with a scope from long range... and only on buildings.

And only on certain windows. Then the ones that always happen no matter what, like some Tin shed walls and Damage texture walls .Its on both brands of cards. You can limit all but the worst offenders buy having AA on and very high resolutions. The wacky poybugspike is a different story, I keep trying to make it happen to find the area/object and i think its a overhead pipe for Elektrozavodsk. I can get it on the beta 59210, with maxing out my vidcard settings(VH+2048/1536), but with my kit ,its easy to look away and its gone then look back and it comes back, a "shift - flush" command fixes it. And it takes a while to come back, only if i approach it from the East/NorthEast. But only in the SP counter attack, not in the editor...and even then its rare. Edited by kklownboy

whats the name of the original arma2.exe

after having mine at crysis64 for the past two weeks i've forgotten the original exe name

Don't use the default video memory setting. It has caused me the same errors and crashing. I use very high becuase of my card or just use high and keep textures to normal.

Try that and see if it works.

Well, I have tried your setting: Video memory high & texture normal

it still crashes with "Error: Device freed"

Well, I have tried your setting: Video memory high & texture normal

it still crashes with "Error: Device freed"

what's your operating system?

Check event viewer for more descriptive information.

Edited by InFireBaptize

can anybody help me with settings i just upgraded my graphic card from ATI radeon HD 3200 to ATI radeon HD 4670 how ever when i play textue is kinda greyish

tried with diff. settings in video options no luck i had this problem with arma1

my specs:

windows vista 64 bit with SP1

processor: AMD Phenom X4 9500 quad core

8 gb memory

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

never mind fixed it

Hi,

After months of increasing quality, my copy of A2 has just taken a huge step backwards:

After upgrading to the 1.04 patch my game is now foobar.

The problem lies with the in-game rendering.

Within less than a minute my screen is filled with flashing polygons.

So I tried the latest beta patch (59323) and guess what? The problem is even worse - after 1 second the screen is by a thick layer of dark gray-green, i.e. you can make out that the game is rendering correctly (no flashing polys) but its too dark to be playable.

Despite reading about Radeons and the dreaded flashing polys, this never happened before.

A2 has worked fine for 2 months, until now.

In fact I was just beginning to think that the game was beginning to reach a playable state (perf + stability)

FYI I run a Radeon 4850 (9.8 Cats), C2D @ 3.25 and 2GB RAM.

Any ideas?

Edited by domokun
correction

i have just played armA 2 for the first time on my intel core 2 quad and everytime i play it the view is just white and its so slow,say i hit w nothing happens untill 3 seconds later and i can only view stud=ff close up.

do u know how i can fix this?

i have just played armA 2 for the first time on my intel core 2 quad and everytime i play it the view is just white and its so slow,say i hit w nothing happens untill 3 seconds later and i can only view stud=ff close up.

do u know how i can fix this?

do you have 8Gb of RAM? what OS?

peepz with 8GB ram gotta do same thing like in arma1 change your ram to 4Gb just reduce

or just use -winxp command line ...

anyway is there anyone who have these issues and is :

A. located in Prague

B. located in Czech republic

C. located in CET/GMT timezone ?

if so, drop me PM , thanks ...

Ye the -winxp worked on my problem aswell

PhenomII X4 955BE / 8Gb / 4870 1Gb / Vista 64Bit