Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Everyone with the issue please PM Dwarden who has kindly offered to look into this, his post is buried a few pages back with the requirements.

BIS are unable to replicate this problem and as such will not be able to fix it, they need information and tests I would assume run by those of us who have the issue.

There is currently no work around known to date, there is no fix, please PM Dwarden to get things rolling.

Here:

or just use -winxp command line ...

anyway is there anyone who have these issues and is :

A. located in Prague

B. located in Czech republic

C. located in CET/GMT timezone ?

if so, drop me PM , thanks ...

I dont own one so Im not sure exactly how to do it. your going to have to google it. but i would try looking in the bios for an option to switch it off. Hyper threading makes your core-I think it has an extra 4 cores I think but im not totally sure. worst thing that could happen is BSOD...

yes thats it 3d resolution change that to the same res your running the game at. I know 1920 x 1080 is not the higest res avaliable but its alot of pixels for a game this demanding. lowering the resolutions will make it easier on your GPU and make the game run smoother.

And your rig is not poor. your cpu is way better than mine and we have the same GPU :)

let me know if this helps

FOR DVD-ROM VERSION

1. Locate your ArmA2 "Shortcut"

2. Right click it and click Properties

3. Click on the Shortcut tab

4. In the Target field at -winxp to the end of that is already there then apply it and save

FOR STEAM VERSION

1. Open Steam "Games" list

2. Right click ArmA2 and click Properties

3. Click "Set Launch Options"

4. Add the -winxp to what is already there

If you need further help PM me and I will be more than willing to help you over IM or Teamspeak etc.

Ah-ha! This helped me man, Thanks very much!! It pays to read everything.

Everyone with the issue please PM Dwarden who has kindly offered to look into this, his post is buried a few pages back with the requirements.

BIS are unable to replicate this problem and as such will not be able to fix it, they need information and tests I would assume run by those of us who have the issue.

There is currently no work around known to date, there is no fix, please PM Dwarden to get things rolling.

Here:

or just use -winxp command line ...

anyway is there anyone who have these issues and is :

A. located in Prague

B. located in Czech republic

C. located in CET/GMT timezone ?

if so, drop me PM , thanks ...

Do we only pm him if we are A B or C and what do we send to him?

Ah-ha! This helped me man, Thanks very much!! It pays to read everything.

helped me also, i have a 4890 1GB with the graphics problem and adding -winxp seemed to sort it

helped me also, i have a 4890 1GB with the graphics problem and adding -winxp seemed to sort it

Cool. Out of interest - what does adding that do? As in what are we getting the computer/gpu etc to do when we do that?

Im very glad that others have this problem with ARMA2 because I have been going spare about it - been messing about with the settings in ARMA2 for ages trying differnet things and still get all these graphics shards around - never had a game where its this bad before, Fallout 3 has a few minor issues. I took my 4870 card back and got a 4850 because it was crashing all the time and now this with the 4850 - dont card manufacturers test their products properly these days or something? This is the kind of thing that pushes people to the consoles.

IMO 9.10 is line where 5xxx series support starts, and 4xxx end.

downloading and testing now will post results.

about 2-3 FPS increase nothing drastic ATI 4850.

I'm getting the artifacts as well.

Running on the following hardware

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor

SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 1GB/ 1x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Win XP 32bit SP3

I know not all my RAM is being seen with WinXP 32 bit, had Vista crash on me and went back to XP.

I have cleaned my system of all video drivers with the Driver Sweeper while in Safe Mode and reinstalled the latest cat drivers. I am also using the -winxp command through steam.

I have the game settings: http://webpages.charter.net/s.burson/arma2%202009-10-25%2011-48-00-15.jpg

I am seeing artifacts like this when flying around in the editor.

http://webpages.charter.net/s.burson/arma2%202009-10-25%2010-16-29-87.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/s.burson/arma2%202009-10-25%2010-16-24-96.jpg

My temps on my 4870 are about 68c when playing which is fine. Runs about that temp in all my games.

Any ideas? If any other info is needed please let me know. Really want to play this game, I love it.

I too am getting artifacts with my 4850HD, they are minor glitches though, nowhere near as bad as the screens above.

flashing textures and such

I tried a defragger called Ultra Defrag, and although I only played for 2 hours, it seemed to make a large differnce.

I only got two artifacts spasms during my two hours of playtime. One where I flew very far out of UTES, and the second as soon as I joined a server.

I don't know if defragging made a differnce, but I didn't have any problems for those two hours, where beofore I got spasms every 1 - 2 minutes.

Before that, I got spasms every 1 - 2 minutes.

I'm getting the artifacts as well.

I am also using the -winxp command through steam.

I am seeing artifacts like this when flying around in the editor.

Any ideas? If any other info is needed please let me know. Really want to play this game, I love it.

If your using xp32 then don't use the "-winxp command" and try running the game without " default video memory " and try using the normal or high settings. Also disable catalyst a.i. and see if any of this helps.

when I run the game with default video mem settings I had artifacts like yours with all drivers to 9.8. I'm going to try the 9.10's and see what performance gains I get if any.

If your using xp32 then don't use the "-winxp command" and try running the game without " default video memory " and try using the normal or high settings. Also disable catalyst a.i. and see if any of this helps.

when I run the game with default video mem settings I had artifacts like yours with all drivers to 9.8. I'm going to try the 9.10's and see what performance gains I get if any.

Thanks,

I tried every possible config I could, above included. Just could not get rid of the artifacts. They only started after about 5 minutes in the air or after I had passed a couple of towns.

Installed Windows 7, updated all drivers, and now it runs fine. Played for about an hour with no problems, also FPS has gone up. With XP32 and FRAPS I was getting around 30. Haven't installed FRAPS yet but I can sure tell a difference.

I tried a defragger called Ultra Defrag, and although I only played for 2 hours, it seemed to make a large differnce.

I only got two artifacts spasms during my two hours of playtime. One where I flew very far out of UTES, and the second as soon as I joined a server.

I don't know if defragging made a differnce, but I didn't have any problems for those two hours, where beofore I got spasms every 1 - 2 minutes.

Before that, I got spasms every 1 - 2 minutes.

The artifacting seems to be comming back now. I also noticed that my drive needs to be defragged again, although I had not had any crashing/restarting at all.

I am probably going to wait until the next patch.

Thanks,

I tried every possible config I could, above included. Just could not get rid of the artifacts. They only started after about 5 minutes in the air or after I had passed a couple of towns.

Installed Windows 7, updated all drivers, and now it runs fine. Played for about an hour with no problems, also FPS has gone up. With XP32 and FRAPS I was getting around 30. Haven't installed FRAPS yet but I can sure tell a difference.

It's good to know that Windows 7 fixes it. I am not going to get 7 yet though, I am going to hope for a fix (if one comes).

I don't understand how to add the -winxp command.

when I right click and get properties, shortcut, Target line is- "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" where do I add -winxp

I keep getting an error message saying problem with shortcut, the name specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

please help

Getting a new mobo shortly including an ATI HD5850, if i cba I will reinstall ArmA2 and see if the fault still occurs with that setup. Still going to be XP and may have a Win7 partition as I can't afford the o/s atm so will use the RC.

Or

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp

(note: -winxp parameter outside the quotes)

quick question...does any here with a 4890 or xfired 4890's idle at 50 degrees celsius?
depends on the fan setting and the Box/case they are in and room temp. But 50c is well with in the spec.

Thanks Rok that did the trick...now I can play, funny after trying all the settings options and messing with my video card but it all came down to adding -winxp to fix it!