Sign in to follow this  

ArmA 2 German Release Thread

Not sure if it was mentioned before but it seems most ArmA addons work quite good in ArmA2

Do you just drop in the Addon's pbo files into ArmA 2's addon folder?

Thats nice to hear about the addons, I'm sure they might require extra tweeking here and there.

Arma 2 is not Arma with mods.

Is backwards compatiblity a bad thing? Especially when the models will look better straight away in the new SM 3.0 rendering core?

Backwards compatibility most definately is not..

But from the footage i have seen so far i don't see much thats worth me forking out another 30 quid. But i'll give it some time..

I'm pretty sure the 505 Games version will be the intended quality. I think the German publishers were a bit too greedy and wanted to push the game out before everyone else to rake in the dough, even if that meant an unfinished, unpolished version. Ah well.

Jack, you reaaaaaaaaally should update your signature. :D

The addons looks so good!!! :eek::eek: I downloaded few addons for ArmA1 cos there were only a few that seemed to be as professional as the BIS made models. That Soviet tank was not among them. :D Although there might be more of that tank made by different modders.

Still, it looks great!!! :D

I'm pretty sure the 505 Games version will be the intended quality. I think the German publishers were a bit too greedy and wanted to push the game out before everyone else to rake in the dough, even if that meant an unfinished, unpolished version. Ah well.

dont be a noob, it's the version we'll all be getting. A few days isn't going to change any 'polish'.

Wow, thanks for calling me a noob. I'm not, I started playing BIS games in 2001 with the release of OFP: CWC. I've seen all the different BIS releases and how they have worked and progressed.

They have already stated that such things like the infinite terrain will be much better in the 505 Games version. It is not going to be the exact same version.

Edited by Zipper5

again its all the same quality, all versions gone gold at the same time...

with all due respect: you're wrong.

Marek Spanel: I believe we already went a long way since version 1.00 and that the upcoming patch 1 next week will improve the game heavily, especially the quality of the campaign. This version 1.01 is also what will be released in rest of the world. In late June we plan to release Patch 2, version 1.02 which should provide even more.

taken from the interview of PC Games with Marek Spanel (http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2-PC-Games-testet-die-Militaer-Simulation-Update/PC/News/?page=2).

Mate, i only came back on these boards a few days ago :P Too much effort clicking on user CP up there.. :P

I think the 505 Games release will be what they wanted to release, but we all know BIS games are infamous for their buggy releases and good patching processes.

I can see why Morphicon released it early.. the fanboys will jump at the chance to get the game 'early' even if its not in their native language.

I still feel a bit apprehensive at the moment, had we gone from OFP to ArmA 2 there would be a massive improvement.. I think the jump from ArmA 1 to ArmA 2 is smaller than OFP to ArmA...

with all due respect: you're wrong.

Marek Spanel: I believe we already went a long way since version 1.00 and that the upcoming patch 1 next week will improve the game heavily, especially the quality of the campaign. This version 1.01 is also what will be released in rest of the world. In late June we plan to release Patch 2, version 1.02 which should provide even more.

taken from the interview of PC Games with Marek Spanel (http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2-PC-Games-testet-die-Militaer-Simulation-Update/PC/News/?page=2).

i was refering to the fact, that all versions gone gold:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=62729

you wont get a different patched up version in june.

Well, its ArmA with mods. Thought as much. :\

Oh well, OFP 2 looks amazing so far.. hope they remove the player cap and it'll be perfect.

If you say so...

I played for a while and i had a tear of joy in the eye as it is exactly what ArmA wasnt, it feels quick, its feels immersive, its beautiful and as good as everything that bothered me is lot better now especially the flying.

@usmc123

yes i just dropped it in the ArmA2 addons folder.

Offcourse A2 crashes if you try the vehicle directly as the crew from ArmA is missing but if you place it empty and crew it then it works fine.

Edited by Shadow NX

so far i don't see much thats worth me forking out another 30 quid.

We both know you will.

Btw. saying that ArmA2 is modded Arma1 is like saying that Windows XP is same as Windows 3.11 cause both got similar windows, and files from Win3.11 are readable under WinXP :D

Edited by sidhellfire

Well, its ArmA with mods. Thought as much. :\

Oh well, OFP 2 looks amazing so far.. hope they remove the player cap and it'll be perfect.

jack, stop unfold misbelief about that ArmA2 is Arma with mods. There are so many imrovements and innovations that people just forgot. graphics, animations, addons, high command system, water , civilians populations..... and more more. Just wait for ArmA 2 and after playing you could to say something about the game.

its a step up, so whats the problem? just have fun and play until a patch

I've got a single question: I know the strings are all in German, but are the voices/sounds in English? (Like ArmA was when it was released.)

jack, stop unfold misbelief about that ArmA2 is Arma with mods. There are so many imrovements and innovations that people just forgot. graphics, animations, addons, high command system, water , civilians populations..... and more more. Just wait for ArmA 2 and after playing you could to say something about the game.

yes.. but arent those things "just" addons to the original engine? its not a complete new engine...

but this discussion is useless, arma1 with mods is a great game and arma2 will be a great game too.

Your wrong their my friend. Only the Morphicon Version went Gold.

But when all games are released all versions will be getting patched to same version.

yes.. but arent those things "just" addons to the original engine? its not a complete new engine...

but this discussion is useless, arma1 with mods is a great game and arma2 will be a great game too.

OFP and Arma were the same engine too, so wheres that going? :)

I've got a single question: I know the strings are all in German, but are the voices/sounds in English? (Like ArmA was when it was released.)

Offcourse they are in english as localizing the sounds would be bit cost intensive.

However i noticed that russians for example shout commands in russian language, didnt try other parts like CDF yet but i guess they also have their own speech commands.

And for the its just ArmA with mods people... play A2 once you can and well talk again... if that is ArmA with mods then im Darth Vader

Edited by Shadow NX

He doesn't know about programming at all. Shall we tell him that Call of Duty 4 is on same engine as ID Software's Quake3? (which is basically modified version of quake 1 and 2 engine)

Shadow - good to hear. Jerries got that strange tempting to put dubbing everywhere. I can't imagine watching Walt Disney's cartoons from past w/o ever listening to original voices.

He doesn't know about programming at all. Shall we tell him that Call of Duty 4 is on same engine as ID Software's Quake3? (which is basically modified version of quake 1 and 2 engine)

Shadow - good to hear. Jerries got that strange tempting to put dubbing everywhere. I can't imagine watching Walt Disney's cartoons from past w/o ever listening to original voices.

Well more correctly cod 1 only.

With cod2 the engine was almost completely rewritten and with cod4 it's basically Infinity wards own engine.

I played it today for 7-8 hours and currently filing the first bugs on the dev-heaven Arma2 Community bug-tracker.....

Well to put my opinion about it in simple words:

Arma2 is Arma1 with a Graphics update + new island and units - not more not less.

Many "new additional" Features are rather average realized and are considered by me as a "try", so nothing beats Arma1 with ACE Mod so far.

On top of it its pretty bugged or feels some sort of "incomplete" to me, to much variation in quality and so on. In SP there are no big show-stoppers but in MP i already had a couple of CTDs after a like 10 minute long JIP Phase.

Many scripts in the stock MP missions are bugged, very often i got messages like

"You can not play this mission because it depends on downloadable content that has been removed: CA_particleeffects"
and various other core "addons".

I would say 90% of all suggestions the community has made for improvements in various aspects are not in.

There is nothing new realism like, everything just plays like in Arma1.

AI is still very stupid. So far i could not see the benefits of the Mirco AI - and i have a Quadcore with 3.4GHz....

For instance they are laying on the ground very often and sometimes enemy AI can come close to like 5m before they shoot.

Also they do cheat, they seems like in the Arma1 to detect enemies through walls.

They crash still into trees and even worse they sometimes amange it to crash the helicopters at start.

I just had a MP game where the AI picks us OpFor players up at a small Airport and as the AI started, they flipped the chopper and killed us all, followed by a immediate error messages that i can't play this mission because of a missing core "CA_blabla" addon.

I already had some Soldiers stuck in walls like reported by the PC Games article and from the suppressive fire i could not see anything so far (neither in SP campaign, Senarios or MP - not to seak about the editor) .

There are many translation errors by the german publisher too.

I could sound harsh and say wouldn't there be some nice changes in configs and script commands + the great performance improvements (it runs much more fluid on my System than Arma1) and the really beautiful new Map, i would not see a single reason to upgrade to Arma2 at all.

Was it worth the buy? - Absolutely!

Alone the imagination of playing Arma2 with ACE2 on some realism featured Servers makes me wet pants.

So far thats my first opinion about it, but i have to say that my opinion is biased because im a Arma1+ACE Addict and i simply expected some additions of realism-features to the core Arma2...

I would have the capabilites to write a full article, but it would result in rather average "rating" by me and i don't want to scare potential customers away, because the engine has as usually a huge potential for modders and the community.

Im just at de-pboing all the addons and i already found some nice config things which are new... i hope the BIKI gets updated soon!

Regards, Christian