Sign in to follow this  
CrazyD

Keep Weapon's After Swimming

Hi, I am not sure where to put this might as well pop it here,

I will base it from Arma I, As we all know when you take a swim in Arma you lose your weapons very odd,

I hope in Arma II we keep the weapons but some will fire straight away after being water logged and others will not depending on the Gun would be nice but not sure if it is needed Will really depend on the Map layout and ways to approach certain scenario's.

Did a search looking for a relevant thread but had no luck.

It may be due to them dropping items to stop yourself from sinking by losing some of the weight, but yes it is annoying, i mean are magazines strapped in on the vest by velcro?

If grenades are hanging from your waist however it would be fine to me if they were lost whilst swimming.

However i know what your getting at, there are situations like this where its really not usefull e.g. Dolores has 3 bridges, i would find it more stealthy of me to swim underneath it for about 50m and pop out on the other side, only to lose my main weapon in the process.

Its just if people find losing weapons in water "realism" and has to be in the game.

I don't think that a Navy Seal Team would have any problems taking their equipment on a little swim...

When SEALs swim with equipment they usually have flippers and the whole nine yards.

firstly: there are no navy seals in arma II :p

secondly what is being show is something that in the US army is called "combat water survival training". of course i'm sure the USMC has much higher water requirements than the army, but still

basically you ditch your gear. it is impossible to stay afloat with out flotation aids in full gear (or hellishly strong swimming). an IBA/IOTV/MTV is very heavy, in addition to all the other crap a typical soldier or marine carries (weapon, mags, water, helmet, boots etc) would make staying afloat impossible. that is also why the IOTV has a quick release strap

of course since ArmA1 and most likly 2 will not model weight to gear they need to do something.

a better solution would be to have gear ditching tied to the action menu, and some feedback from your character indicating he is getting to tired to keep his head above water. for game purposes all people should be able to swim by default without having to worry about gear loss, but as they swim they get more tired and risk drowning (yes, AND dieing). and it would also mean that the game needs to get the transition between swimming and standing better. I'm sure you have all had the experience where you remain swimming in knee high water and only start walking again once your face is embedded in the beach

the reason the action menu is a better idea is, it give the player imput into when or IF gear is lost and solves the issue of "LOLWTFBBQ"

Yea i hated how u lose ur weapons and ammo when u go into the water, there should be a option to prevent that, AI should drop their weapons and ammo on the shore of the water not in the deep part of the water, so you wouldn't lose your gear permanently

Dont think that BIS had done much on this. It would be wrong + unrealistic if player + AI could keep all of their gear crossing deep water. Maybe someone will make an nice addon that is floatable and can be filled with few weapons/objects?

Perhaps some kind of indication on the HUD showing how long until you need to ditch your gear should be added, should stop new players getting confused and thinking it's a bug.

Remember back in OFP you couldn't swim, you would just drown. In ArmA swimming is there to give you a chance to survive if you end up in the water, or to swim across a river if necessary. You still get some kind of 'punishment' for swimming because, face it, you couldn't swim with all that gear in real life.

I guess we get used to games that allow you to swim like an athlete while you carry 10 weapons and loads of ammo :)

Edited by Maddmatt

Sort of related: Movement in water should feel a bit more agile if possible, its not high priority of course but the soldiers in ArmA swim like bricks.

As BIS say sometimes this is a GAME we have to keep the fun for other players and not be so realistic, so why add a bullshit realistic feature that everyone hates?

Edited by MattXR

I don't mind loosing gear while swimming, at least we can swim. But, I think it happens a bit too quickly. For balance and playability I think you should have at least twice as much time before you loose your weapons. That Guy's suggestion would be perfect, but it is unlikely Arma2 will feature this imo.

I like this feature. You can always leave your equipment somewhere on the shore.

Swimming with all the equipment would make the game just far more unrealistic and some missions far too easy.

Plus, I am not quite sure if standard ammo is waterproof. Chm...probably yes.

I like this feature. You can always leave your equipment somewhere on the shore.

Swimming with all the equipment would make the game just far more unrealistic and some missions far too easy.

Plus, I am not quite sure if standard ammo is waterproof. Chm...probably yes.

I love it! Now I Understand why we trained to cross rivers in rubber Boats. Do you know what BOATS are made for...?

I like that we drop the weapons too. Dont take it out please. Wanna get over with weapons? Use a boat or amphi vehicle. Swimming with full gear is stupid. In ARMA2 there will be a lot of shallower water you can prolly cross without losing your weapons. And for the deeper lakes - use vehicles that can get you across or GO AROUND! :)

In these areas i really want realism over gamey game style. I want to think before doing some things. Not just keep on running.

Yeah, it prevents players from choosing to go on ridiculous swims that would end in their certain demise as part of maneuvering.

Hi, it's possible to swim (on calmed waters) with a 4.2Kg (loaded) rifle at your back, the

boots, 2 smoke nades, 2 frag nades, the helmet a PASGT vest and four more magazines

without loose anything of this. However, the only and better way of swim it's "doggy style";

you can't swimm croll style with the boots even if you've the rifle sling in a way that keeps

the rifle well tight to your body and in paralel to it. If you swim 100m like this you're good.

If you swim 200m like this, you're superman/supergirl. If you swim 300m like this, you're God.

Drop the PASGT vest with the ammo & grenade pocuhes is very very hard and you really

gonna have a hard time doing it on time if you want to keep your rifle with you when you

touch the beach's sand (or rocks) so is a good thing to loose/drop the equipment after

some metters. What will be pimp will be have an anim of the unit rolling and releasing the

vest at least with all the ammo and nades and just keep the rifle plus a magazine. That

will be the best solution and even realistic!!. Let's C ya

A rifle would usually be in a pretty bad condition after a swim in salty and sandy waters. I was under the feeling the the swim conditions has been upped during the patches. I'm able to swim further now than I did in the beginning where I would loose my weapons almost instantly.

I'm not talking about a long swim in deep waters. I'm okay with loosing my weapons here. I'm talking about the ability to traverse some shallow waters without loosing everything because of it. In war movies we see soldiers crossing rivers holding their rifles above their head. With this animation lacking, the ability to 'swim' without loosing weapons is welcome. At least for a limited time and/or depth.

Also keep in mind that the ability to swim with weapons removes an important aspect of the game, tidal effects. I.e. as a mission startup parameter: Would you like to

a) Start the mission at the cover of night, but tidal will cause you not to be able to cross the 'river'.

b) Daylight (harder due to spotting) but you can cross the 'river' due to good tidal effects.

Hi, if you can keep your head off the water and you can walk... then you'll have to walk

yeah, keeping the riffle above your head and no matters how much it takes you, you could

have to spent a pair of hours by the river to go or to come from some place.

As Marine you don't have other chance, you and your rifle gonna try the salty water very

ussualy; so if it's good or bad for the rifle no matters, you gonna have to do it and do it

well. About the rifle and the water... you'll have to find a safe and confy place once you're

deep in the shore where be able to clean well your rifle and give it a bath in oil; but that's

something that we don't have to take care of in the game. Let's C ya

Maybe you should be able to swim short distances with your gear, but lose it all after, say 50-100m?

Also it never dawned upon me to submerge a loaded rifle in water and then try to fire it. Will it even work?

And no swimming with a Carl-Gustav-flotation-device on your back :p

Hi, loose all your gear (rifle included) is bad in my opinion because as i understand the thing

off loose/drop the equipment is due that you (supposedly) drop your vest but you will never

drop your rifle, so even if you've to drop your vest and backpack... you'll keep your rifle and

the inserted magazine. If you don't... then you better get drown, you'll suffer less.

We never put the MG3 man in the deep water, they were on the M113s (from Nam) and

in the HMMWVs, so they had to run with the MG at the shoulder and enter in the line; the

men with the LAW-72 don't had "much problem" to keep the head above the water, but

i guess that something as a Carl Gustav or a Javelin should be also keept in the APC, the

Zodiak or the Scuba.

Depending on the weapon materials and rate of fire you can make a few spaced single

shots but is a big risk mainly for the weapon; if once you're on the sand, you open the rifle's

chamber and move the weapon upwards and downwards a few times... "you should" be able

of put it on the magazine again, reload and then make effective fire. Notice the brackets

on that "you should", God invented the Murphy's Law for some reason; and there's a lot of

luckless in the world. Let's C ya

or just tie gear loss to the action menu :p

action menu: Drop gear

This is one of the rare cases where I 100% agree with the BIS implementation.

You drop your equipment when you are in water, or you die.

The real problem is that AI is entering the water at all.

And no soldier is going into water without at least an attempt to protect his stuff from water and/or putting some stuff into something that floats.

Maybe a new item in the action menu is required: "Inflate pink rubber tire" before you go into the water :cool:

Hi, the only thing that don't makes sense, is loose/drop your riffle and the magazine that it

haves; if you seen the Full Metal Jacket there they say it clearly: "Without me, my riffle

don't serves; without my riffle neither i serve".

It's good to lose all your gear unless your rifle and it's inserted magazine, unless that BIS

makes some hand to hand combat system or give us a knife to slash the throat of some

OPFOR guard or just armed person and then chop off his head too. After all... you're in war...

Let's C ya

You would probably never sneak up to the enemy close enough to use knife. Neither in ArmA, neither in real life.

This would be a good thing to add to the difficulty options. Arcade: you get to keep the kit in water(unrealistic), Veteran: you loose the kit like in Armed Assault(realistic)