Sign in to follow this  
Eggnogg13

Arma 2 Expansions/DLC

British Army would be nice too see in future expansion as they are a kind of in-between faction although with strong ties across the Atlantic. The Brits have actually seen combat in a lot of places in the past decades with long traditions in warfare. Naturally the english language in campaign would be beneficial in attracting players and wider customer base. Mods based on German or French armies would probably not be that attractive commercially. Also there would probably be those ridiculous accents as they'd speak in english anyway.

So a campaign with Falkland-style setting but with realistic peacekeeping operation as main goal without neglecting action would be very nice. The plot could be something like an aftermath of USMC operations on Chernarus as the US has pulled away because of more intense crisis in mid-east, leaving a mess behind. Then the dark clouds of civil war are looming again in Chernarus and it's up to the British Expeditionary Force stationed there to keep situation under control while disunited EU is fighting in cabinet meetings over the crisis...

Indeed, if a British Faction were availiable i'd pick it every time, however lets hope the characters dont get ridiculous voice acting, seriously the stereotype is waaay off track.

I'll only have Britts if they include teatime ;)

Seriously: let's first have the game then think about expansions.

Hello,

I don't know what DLC is , but if I were to be silly what I can imagine as an expansion is the following:

"Arma 2: Revolution":

Arma 2: Revolution is set in the early 90's potraying a fictional post-soviet country called Chernarus struggling to win it's independence and the aftermath thereof.

• 30 x 30 km part of Chernarus (with river , one rather big town , ..)
  • 2 Campaigns:
    • 1. After the breakup of the Soviet Union resistance fighters fight Russia for independence. The end result is an authoritarian regime tho.
    • 2. NATO moves in to take that regime out and do some peacekeeping at the end.

[*] 'Platoon AI': AI units can operate and do waypoints as a platoon. Either in a predefined organic fashion or work ad-hoc with units in vicinity.

[Alternative: If Squad AI is non-existant , the goal would be to have Squad-AI]

[*] Advanced Ground Vehicle Simulation

[That may be anything and of any difficulty and magnitude out of the vast community wish catalogue as long as we stop focusing on only the bloody infantry for heavens sake :icon_frown:)

[*] Lots and lots of maintenance fixes that are too big and difficult for patches especially if its not just crash-bugs but fixing flaws in the design of existing features.

[Looking at little limitations and troubles mission , script , addon , mod makers have to face and which usually are too trivial and unimportant to work on might be part of this]

[*] Optional: Context-Sensitive Action Menu that works for model sections. That could be rather fun inside vehicle interiors especially.

Thats my wishlist there.

But actually for small patch additions any sort of 3D content is also appreciated by me since the times where people just throw out addons like there is no tomorrow seems pretty much over.

Edited by lwlooz

Seriously: let's first have the game then think about expansions.

I disagree. What better time is there to discuss what an expansion should be about then right before any development on it should/could start?

I'd buy any BIS expansion if it had some new terrain and a campaign.

DLC= Downloadable Content, lwlooz

It is typically smaller than an expansion, and usually offers less, i.e. an Expansion would have new units+campaign+island, while a DLC would prolly have only one or two of these.

Keep up the suggestions fellas

I'd like to see them take a path that somewhat resembles what occurred in ArmA.

After a few patches, we started to receive a bit of content - Su-34, A-10 for example. This filled the gaps in the game and naturally balanced it.

This time I would like to see Russia, the CDF and ChDKZ receive the L-39 Albatros as a means of getting the lowly factions a bit more air power without overpowering them. A rather simple loadout consisting of gunpods and rockets...

Russia should have the An-12 added (although if BIS want an An-225 or An-124, I'm all for it :D), as it is truly the Russian C-130, with very similar payload capacity.

A silenced DMR would then be the USMC equivalent to the VSS. Otherwise, as far as I can see, BIS has done a good job at balancing weapons and vehicles, so not much other content must be added through a free patch.

I would like to see BIS develop two expansion packs for the game - one expanding on the west side of Chernarus, the other opening up the north.

Each expansion would have a main focus - the one expanding the west side would be coastal, therefore it should focus on the USA, adding units such as the CH-53 and C-5 Galaxy.

The expansion opening more of the north up would focus on Russia, adding units such as the Mi-26 and IL-76 or An-124.

Why jet transports? Because if it is a larger map, then faster airplanes are required to carry more troops over a longer distance.

BIS may have sparked a large gaming franchise here. There are so many areas in ArmA 2 which they may profit from - such as making separate unit packs for each of the factions. I hope they are open to expansions and DLC.

The expansion should leave the Chernarus story behind and do a map based on Western Afghanistan. The name of the map doesn't matter.

Since chernarus is all forrest, I would like a desert/mountain map.

This with one religious extremist faction such as the talibans, one rebel faction such as the Northern Alliance, and then the US and the russian federation ofc.

The campaign player should play on either the taliban side or the NA side.

Such a theme can't go wrong, and will sell!

The campaign player should play on either the taliban side or the NA side.

Such a theme can't go wrong, and will sell!

Yes, all the free publicity from the PC brigade who call it offensive will do wonders for the sales ;)

bIGGEr islands...

ALOT bigger...

And dont tell me its not possible.

Look at all the really big islands made

for ArmA1..

;1283600']bIGGEr islands...

ALOT bigger...

for ArmA1..

What kind of quality and amount of detail are you expecting? I would much rather have a bunch of small detailed and high quality islands then 1 sparse bigass island.

;1283600']bIGGEr islands...

ALOT bigger...

for ArmA1..

I won't tell you it's not possible.

I will, however, tell you that bigger doesn't mean better.

Look at some of the islands which came out with WGL and ACE (73 Eastings and Canyonda spring immediately to mind). They're massive, but how many missions truly have need for all that space? A compact, well-detailed island such as Afghan Village is generally much more useful for mission settings.

Yes heavily Arkadish missions were you run from one street

and kill/be killed noumerous times...

Im a former military officer and i like the whole strategic system of

lets say Warfare and CTI, maby even Evolution.

I like the idea of sitting and planing for like an hour before even hearing

the enemy or even information about the enemy..

It would be Team vs. Team missions not Per vs Per as it is now..

Were teamwork is an essantial part of the mission, if it doesent

work, you loose...

And about the quality/detail, not sure but i think the Aussies

Australian map will be pretty detailed...

If an island is small that does not necessarily mean that only arcade-like missions are made with them. The size of an island has nothing to do with the amount of realism the mission taking place on it may or may not have.

;1284009']Yes heavily Arkadish missions were you run from one street

and kill/be killed noumerous times...

Im a former military officer and i like the whole strategic system of

lets say Warfare and CTI' date=' maby even Evolution.

I like the idea of sitting and planing for like an hour before even hearing

the enemy or even information about the enemy..

It would be Team vs. Team missions not Per vs Per as it is now..

Were teamwork is an essantial part of the mission, if it doesent

work, you loose...

And about the quality/detail, not sure but i think the Aussies

Australian map will be pretty detailed...[/quote']

Actually the bigger the island, statistically, the lower chances are you run into eachother and that could mean even more single person on single person encounters.

Allthough all this largely depends on the mission. But surely for something like CTI or Warfare it spreads the ranks out even more.

I don't mind smaller, more focussed and detailed islands.

Edited by Yoma

My new addition I would like to see... is a large major city. I would love for some more urban styled combat. The cities are all so small..

reguarding the size of islands, i would personally like to see a large flat ish landmass for larger scaled armored combat. most of sahrani would be classified as "restricted" or "severely restricted" for wheeled and tracked vehicles :p

thankfully it seems there is plenty of open areas in chernarus for armor to maneuver properly

as far as future expansions, i think BIS is setting them selves up for one:

Special Forces (Spetsnaz) are battle-hardened veterans who wear unique „Gorka" fatigues and use special silenced weapons, sniper rifles and explosives. They are trained in counter-terrorist ops, speak Chernarussian and allegedly have operated in the area for a long time.

that is from the Rus faction page at arma2.com. i remember along time ago someone on this forum suggested a Rus campaign that followed the exploits of a specnaz team, "team Vodka"

i think that would be awesome :D

like a prequil campaign

If Bis would be up for it to whip their artists a bit a Chernarus winter version would kick ass :) with all the art assets of course converted into winter versions. :D

Myself being in a Stryker Brigade and being in a clan the routinely used strykers in Arma would like to see them comeback ala US Army Rangers to go with the Spec Ops theme. Yes the rangers, more specifically 2nd Battalion now have Strykers.

I vote for a Winter Chernarus Pack with a nice Russian Campaign with an Antonov 12...

Thats a nice idea EricM :)

I would hope they could sort of make a resistance campaign styled campiagn to in one of the exp. packs, Dlc's and also put in trains working :)

To be honest I would like to see the Royal Marines at least put into the game in a DLC as it could add to the depth of the story like this: Razor team must infiltrate and destroy a cache of weapons which is in a town held by a large number of NAPA forces, Royal Marines are in logistic and combat support, providing suppressing machine gun, mortar and rocket fire from the forest edge while razor team and a USMC team infitrate, set explosives, evact via Sea King helicopters and set the explosives off crippling the enemy insurgents and allowing the Royal Marines to advance and seize the town.

Before putting any effort in delivering an Expansion , please this time release the tools first.

Myself being in a Stryker Brigade and being in a clan the routinely used strykers in Arma would like to see them comeback ala US Army Rangers to go with the Spec Ops theme. Yes the rangers, more specifically 2nd Battalion now have Strykers.

Yes, too bad they didn't slot any Stryker mechanics. :rolleyes: