Sign in to follow this  
Gargantou

Best SP-mod?

To begin with, I haven't been on here since February 2008, so I apologize if this is the wrong area of the forum, I have the memory of a goldfish.

Anyway, here's the deal, I loved OFP in SP, I've never been that much of a MP person, so I'm looking for recommendations on what are the most worthwhile ArmA mod(s) that add greatly to the single-player experience.

Thank you for any helpful advice/replies!

Regards

Edit: I'd also like recommendations on the best custom made single-player mods etc :) Basically anything you can think off that will enhance my SP experience is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Gargantou

ACE and FFN, with out a doubt. ACE makes ArmA more fun period. FFN is a great AI enhancing mod.

Yes, FDF was very professional mod. I loved it.

I think ACE isn't that great. I mean it doesn't add any campaigns or missions to play so it dies fast if you start playing the same campaigns all over again.

Besides FDF mod i recommend to install OAC mod http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3558

It will allow you to play the best original OFP campaign again with better gfx than it originally was.

Addons:

• @EH
  • @Aimdot
  • @GDT
  • @HeliHUD
  • @MagModels
  • @MODUL_Sky
  • @PROPER
  • @PROPER_SgtAceIslandSetting
  • @PROPER_UI
  • @ArmAEffects
  • @SilentRadio
  • @SIX_Pack1
  • @SIX_Pack3
  • @TrueGameplayMods
  • @VopSound_1.18
  • @VopSound_1.18_nonACE
  • @NoShader

NoShader, PROPER, TrueGameplayMods, GDT contain a set of addons.

You can use the names for searching.

Unit replacements are endless. OAC contains many replacement addons,

so this might be a bit easier.

Overall you may want to look into OAC - OFP ArmA Conversion.

It offers various OFP missions and campaigns playable in ArmA.

You can combine OAC with CWR, P85 and any other addon or MOD - even

ACE should work (unfortunately ACE has a few SP problems (wound system)).

You can read more about OAC here:

http://oac.armaholic.eu

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/OAC:Project

Mission wise have a look for DAC missions, The Cause campaign and all of

OTK team's work.

:bounce3:

Thank you all for the great tips, really appreciate you taking the time!

Gonna start with checking out FDF!

Thanks again!

Of course you can't live without ECS mod,it's almost same as ECP was for OFP!

OAC is difinitely worth a go, because of the huge number of SP OFP missions and campaigns that it makes available. Kegety's lowplants 1.1 is a also a must have: Lowplants.

Edited by stun

The A.C.E. mod is probably the best total conversion mod out there, by far.

Adds more units, effects, improves A.I. and more.

+1 ACE. It adds huge set of weapons and a lot of vehicles plus very nice units and features! It also comes with new sounds, effects and more realism if thats what your looking for. It has lots of different backpacks you can choose from and use. Add mags, claymores, smoke etc into the backpack that even shows volume and weight. The more you weigh the shorter you can run before you need to rest is one example of ACE sweetnes.

ACE changes how you get hurt as well. Not only will you get the "hit" or "dead" situation, but you will sometimes bleed and need to bandage yourself or your AI unit so you dont bleed to death. You use morphine shots when you get more seriously hurt. Even ephedrine(?) when your AI units heart stops! To kick him back to life and then treat him. You can drag units and check dogtags on dead ones. Even drag an AI unit (or friend ofcourse) onto a vehicle.

These are just a few things ACE does. It contains sh*t loads of addons that you had to load separate in the old days. Everything from units, vehicles, sounds, effects (oh those ACE explosions!) and most importantly maybe: awesome new features. What about being able to rest your weapon onto any object to get more steady aim? Its true it doesnt come with campaigns and missions, but if you head over to www.armaholic.com after you have ACE installed youll see that loads of missions being made since quite some time back is made with ACE to bring you that realistic feel with loads of new gear.

All up to you mate. ;) And no mod is bad ofcourse. Its all about taste and what you want to play. Big effort has gone into the mods from our awesome community members that we can enjoy for free. I use ACE for its ground breaking functions wich add a lot to the immersion, but the super thing with ARMA is that you can download and test all mods and find your golden nugget. Good luck & have fun.

Alex

Well he asked for SP MOD.

Unfortunately ACE has several serve gameplay issues in SP.

And their focus is not SP. So unlikely to see them fixed any time soon.

the only reason i don't like ACE is because it changes the RAC AT gunner to use a RPG instead of a M136

I play ACE in SP a lot. I cant see any problems (that i know of or that bothers me). And who's using what weapon is not a problem. You can make anyone use any weapon. There must be other reasons why you skip tons of new functions just because a type of unit uses the wrong AT weapon.

ok, OP dont use ACE! It can have some problem here and/or there (like no other mod can have...) and a unit is using the wrong AT (wich you can easily change). But i must have recommend ACE because im an idiot.

Im put in my place.

ACE wounding system is very often a problem as triggers rely on dead units.

Also getting wounded as player in SP and waiting up to minutes to wake up again is

not really fun. ;)

ACE wounding system is very often a problem as triggers rely on dead units.

Also getting wounded as player in SP and waiting up to minutes to wake up again is

not really fun. ;)

Have to agree on this.

Thats why I removed Ace-Wounds, and play it with both FFN and SLX. It's Mod-licious!

also AT soldiers in ACE have very bad aiming , along with the only one AT rocket available, break many sp missions :(

the only reason i don't like ACE is because it changes the RAC AT gunner to use a RPG instead of a M136

that's a bit of a weird reason

Hmmm, yes so ok, ACE is annoying whilst blacking out in SP but considering what it offers in content. Personally, I'm very happy to use it. Surely the threat of waiting 5-10 minutes if your heavily injured is enough to make you play better (ie, get shot alot less). Many mods ECS, FFN, ACE etc all offer some style of healing & dealing with wounded, all have bugs.....The question is, what does a vanilla game of Arma offer you ? NONE of these features, I strongly suggest you spend some time using some of these mods together, alittle time tweaking them can reap serious rewards.

And btw...If you play a game like ARMA, and moan about not using a mod because of a 'single' unit having the wrong weapon loadout, expect to be pointed to the 'Init line' :) .

Hmm off the top of my head I'd say try...

XAM 1.6...Great big mod, lots of cool stuff

However, I'd still use more than one mod, customize to your own style of play.

ACE is great - but not for SP.

Wounding system doesn't work correctly for AI's and the changed unit layout can break missions.

ACE is however without question the single most awesome mod for MP purposes ;)

For SP - go for ECS and throw in some unit replacement packs.