Sign in to follow this  
Phantom Mark

Worth installing yet ??

Sure I will no doubt annoy the fan boys but I have been sat in the background for a year or more now waiting for a patch to make it worthwhile installing this game again.

Last version I tried IIRC was something like 1.04 maybe.

Specifically I am wanting to know if the general AI problems are now bearable or not, and if general frame rates and game running has smoothed out ?

I was running a 8800GTX in the past and now run a 280GTX with the same QX6700 + 4gb based system.

If you plan on replying with some wise comment spare your breath, I have been around long enough to ignore children.

I have sat patiently in the background for a good while now and i'm hoping the time has finally come to warrant a re-installation.

Hmm im specifically looking for the opinion of people who were big fans like myself of the original OFP game and were a little disillusioned by the early Arma releases.

Edited by Placebo

Wouldn't recommend double posting. ;)

Really, ArmA was worth reinstalling when v1.09b came out. I've loved it ever since. With v1.16b, the majority of the game-breaking fixes have been ironed out, and it's close to how ArmA should have been at release. So yes, I'd recommend reinstalling it again.

And I played OFP since 2001 and ArmA since the Czech release. To be honest, I noticed the issues in ArmA because people were pointing them out, but I've always enjoyed it. It's simply gotten better as time progresses, much like OFP.

ACE makes it worthwhile IMHO. Download that and you'll get some enjoyment out of Arma if you can find a good MP server.

It all depends on what you want. It is still the same game, but most of the real show stopping bugs are addressed, it seems.

Why don't you spend the 20 minutes to download the patch and install it and see for yourself.

If, and that's a big "if", you can overlook ACE's issues. ;)

The game's still clunky, but ARMA2 is close on the horizon, and reports (Dslyecxi) say its movement and gameplay have been much improved over ArmA1. I expect ACE for ARMA2 will be the definitive game, and with your system you won't need to worry about performance.

Still, I found the latest patches really smooth out the game, but to tell the truth I think ACE is what has allowed me to play for so long, the vanilla game isn't much fun and I haven't played it un-modded since release. ACE isn't perfect itself but it's as close as possible in the engine.

Armed Assault was always worth installing. If you want to play it, then play it.

/end thread

Armed Assault was always worth installing. If you want to play it, then play it.

DING! DING! DING! Best answer - by far.

I always get a little confused by these posts. Arma is by far the best "serious" infantry or even combined-arms military combat game ever released on PC so if it's not worth playing, then please, someone tell me what game is better? IMHO, the post I quoted is the perfect answer.

1.14 is a joy to play - I have no serious problems or complaints. But yes , with the right mods, missions and teammates, a fun time can be had by all. :bounce3:

My biggest concern about Arma 2 is that, as a multiplayer modding community, we're back to square zero and everything needs to be ported to Arma 2 or possibly even reinvented.

BIS have said that if an addon was made well enough for ArmA it will work completely fine in ArmA II. It may even look better than it did in ArmA.

Again, I have to say that ArmA has always been worth it. I mean, what is it's big competition? OFP?

The AI can be improved with addons, but in any case it's a matter of using the game within it's limitations, same as any other game. Thing about ArmA is - it has far fewer limitations. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I am saying it's the best around.

So yeah, the game is worth installing again :) but I have to ask - why don't you just install it & see?

As a newbie who was late to the ArmA party (used to play the first OFP).

Once I patched the game to 1.14 it's works like butter on my Vista 64 laptop.

and I have said it before, I suck at this game and get killed over and over, trying different approches etc. Absolute joyous times !!! So much fun.

I have only played this patched version of ArmA Gold...and I could not be happier.

( I am currently struggling to get some custom faces put in with the template. I have had no luck getting my Photoshop to work with it yet, other than that? nothin bad.)

Wicked game, how could anyone who likes an open tactical game not enjoy this ?

Good Luck.

BB.

Ultimate military shooter sandbox game. Playing all sorts of games for the past 17 years, this one holds the appeal of any great strategy game mixed with FPS and a great online community. Best game so far.

Latest patches improve quality and performance so it deserves a top shelf in your HDD.

It has definitely improved since 1.04, there have been some AI improvements as well but they havent gotten any smarter, just some general pathfinding on bridges, stuff like that.

It's definitely worth playing again though, even more so while running ArmA with the ACE mod.

1-14-1.15b-1.16b make this game truly awesome (along with a bunch of community mods.) I greatly enjoy it, both in single player and in multiplayer. Sure, it has some limitations, but they're mostly ok to live with at this point.

wow since 1.04... After 1.08 the super sniping AI was dealt with. Now (or since 1.09) the AI is completelly different to what you remember. They have different skills where some are better than others. But not much of the scopeless AK 1000 meter hits between your eyes anymore. And then all the optimization and bug fixes i would say like everyone else - yes install! And be quick about it!

Also like some said, this is a weird question because there is nothing to compare ArmA with. If its the more realistic super big spaces sandbox tactical FPS you want to play then... there is no competition and no questions to be asked if its ok or not to play the only game in its genre.

72;1280470']wow since 1.04... After 1.08 the super sniping AI was dealt with. Now (or since 1.09) the AI is completelly different to what you remember. They have different skills where some are better than others. But not much of the scopeless AK 1000 meter hits between your eyes anymore. And then all the optimization and bug fixes i would say like everyone else - yes install! And be quick about it!

Also like some said' date=' this is a weird question because there is nothing to compare ArmA with. If its the more realistic super big spaces sandbox tactical FPS you want to play then... there is no competition and no questions to be asked if its ok or not to play the only game in its genre.[/quote']

I don't think the OP was implying the game sucked; he was just asking if the bugs had been fixed since 1.04.

I too had problems before with my 8800GTS...constant graphic tearing, crashes, etc. and I put ArmA on hold for a couple months until they fixed it. Well, they didn't but I bought a new card anyways and have been having a blast since (still a few issues but nothing too serious).

I don't care if it's the best game out there (which I think it is); but if it's full of bugs I'm not going to play it. Not because the game sucks; but because I get tired of jumping thru hoops for something I paid for.

anyhoo, like everyone else said...install, play, have fun! definitely check out some mods cause they can make it a whole new experience