Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

As a beta tester for NaturalPoint and the TrackIR since nearly the beginning I can say that the TIR5 is a marked improvement over previous iterations and absolutely fantastic in A2.

Precision is everything for perceived framerate and it's nice to know that the TIR5 is by no means a bottleneck and great for immersion into this sim.

Thanks Dys

Is the protrack thing required or do I still get all the features with the hatclip that comes with it? I don't use headphones and it looks like that's the only reason for the proclip but I want to confirm before I buy. Also does anyone know a goog jewelry site? I may need backup after blowing 150 on one of these things and flowers may not do the trick

I got that package, and the protrack is just for headphones, the normal proclip will do just fine if you don't use headphones. But then, I have AD700 headphones and I can clip the pro clip on top of the headphones and will look like an unicorn :P

I bought track IR5, and when clipped to my headphones I just can't get the thing to work properly.

Even the smallest move on my part rapidly throws my head in odd directions.

The two sensors to the side of my face do seem to have to be in exactly the right place or, again, I seem to be thrown around quite a bit.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? I'm getting two green lights on the unit itself by the way - and that's attached to the top left of my monitor..

I bought track IR5, and when clipped to my headphones I just can't get the thing to work properly.

Even the smallest move on my part rapidly throws my head in odd directions.

The two sensors to the side of my face do seem to have to be in exactly the right place or, again, I seem to be thrown around quite a bit.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? I'm getting two green lights on the unit itself by the way - and that's attached to the top left of my monitor..

That sounds like your software is still set for the 'normal' track clip, and not the Track Clip Pro.

Sounds like something might be interfering with your trackclip. Check the camera view in the upper right corner of the software to make sure none are turning red as you move through your comfortable range of motion. If any of the dots turn red it's losing track so you can figure out what's doing it from there, especially if you have a light source behind you. You can use the filters to help there.

Also, if you don't have your profile sensitive enough you may find yourself putting the IR lights on your clip out of line-of-sight or two being detected as one.

Looks like someone gets paid for advertising new TrackIR.

In my opinion it's way overpriced, and some games built for TIR4 don't work with new one anymore.

I buil my own head tracking, with camera and faceAPI. Works good enough.

Cheers

In my opinion it's way overpriced, and some games built for TIR4 don't work with new one anymore.

Cheers

In my opinion its pretty cheap for the difference in immersion...

I mean, my Joysticks cost more, hell my KB almost cost as much.

I am just not sure how you can say its way overpriced, I mean it has a cost associated to produce / develop no ? both hardware and software.

Cheers

This kind of posts irritate me, who is "someone"? And why are you speculating that this "someone" are getting paid for advertising?

Witch games dont work anymore? "With new one"?

Your post leaves more questions then answers/facts.

If it was meant as irony i apologise, but i just dont see it.

Looks like someone gets paid for attacking TrackIR.

Fair enough ? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the TrackClip Pro will fit the Razer Megalodon headset?

razer_megalodon_usb_headset_news.jpg

This kind of posts irritate me, who is "someone"? And why are you speculating that this "someone" are getting paid for advertising?

Witch games dont work anymore? "With new one"?

Your post leaves more questions then answers/facts.

If it was meant as irony i apologise, but i just dont see it.

Eh, that someone would be the OP, I think that's fairly obvious. As for this guy's attitude, well I don't see it as warranted.

I was going to purchase one the other day but it seems that it takes an unusual amount of time for them to ship it out to you (7-10 days). Decided I didn't want to wait that long. Yea, I'm impatient :)

I was going to purchase one the other day but it seems that it takes an unusual amount of time for them to ship it out to you (7-10 days). Decided I didn't want to wait that long. Yea, I'm impatient :)

Maybe look of other suppliers closer or that have em in stock. I got mine in 2 days shipped from another state

They say 7-10 days on their site all the time, but it shipped same day I placed the order.

What Speed and Smooth settings do you guys use when using the TrackClip Pro? I'm trying to figure out the best settings for the game.

Edited by Amuro

Just turn it off and don't use it works best for me. I tried the 'smooth' setting still too clunky, trying to use it in 3rd person doesn't work for me, it bounces all over the place. I'd recommend saving your money on this one.

Also the boom on the tracker pro is very fragile and broke with normal use within a week(replacement on the way). Your results may vary.

Works great for me, not sure what your problems are.

I bought one off ebay about a week ago and recieved it in 4 days from the time I ordered it.

I bought it from this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140320495261

However I cannot get used to it for the life of me.

For aircraft sure its great. But for infantry I find it very disorienting.

I turned off zoom which was the main problem, but it still is more difficult to fight as infantry with it than without.

How long does it take to get used to this thing?

Edited by ICE-Raver

Just turn it off and don't use it works best for me. I tried the 'smooth' setting still too clunky, trying to use it in 3rd person doesn't work for me, it bounces all over the place. I'd recommend saving your money on this one.

Something is seriously wrong with your setup if it's "bouncing all over the place".

For vehicles, an hour or two. For infantry, it'll take significantly longer to get used to it if you're having trouble to begin with. Perhaps a few days, maybe a week or so.

I bought one off ebay about a week ago and recieved it in 4 days from the time I ordered it.

I bought it from this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140320495261

However I cannot get used to it for the life of me.

For aircraft sure its great. But for infantry I find it very disorienting.

I turned off zoom which was the main problem, but it still is more difficult to fight as infantry with it than without.

Humm did you ever get use to ALT - look in Arma ?

I did not get used to it.. I got addicted to TrackIR for Inf in a few hours... To the point that when doing mission desigin and testing I hate not having trackir ready to go as I am not in gaming mode (see Using normal KB and not wolfclaw, speakers and not headphones and no TrackIR).

I recieved a trackir 5 yesterday and i must say its really sweet in arma 2.

One question though, I'm probably missing something obvious but where can i find the "speed" setting in the software? posters say to change it 1 but i can't find where to do so.

I recieved a trackir 5 yesterday and i must say its really sweet in arma 2.

One question though, I'm probably missing something obvious but where can i find the "speed" setting in the software? posters say to change it 1 but i can't find where to do so.

Are you using version 5 beta 4? There're two sliders located at the top left section of the software screen, Speed and Smooth.

Ah great thankyou. Was using the previous release candidate not the new beta. Will switch to that one. Cheers for the help.

@ICE-Raver,

I had some problems at first too, but I got over them pretty quickly. First off, make sure you turn off the mouse floatzone while using TrackIR, otherwise it can get extremely confusing. And make sure you've set a key to reset the headtracking position to zero. This is important, since no one can sit in the same position for hours without adjusting their position at least a little bit.

For getting used to the TrackIR, I suggest using head-movement sparingly at first, i.e. try to keep your head straight and facing forward. Next try consciously moving your head to look at something, for example over your shoulder to see behind you. Each time, consciously move your head back to the center before moving on. When you've gotten the hang of this, you will automatically start using it more frequently, also while moving.

After a couple of hours, you should be fairly comfortable with it, but it will take a while before using the TrackIR becomes second nature.

just throwing in my 2 cents...

Myself, I'm just getting back into PC gaming. I gave up on the hassle of configuring my computer all the time and joined 360 world years ago until recently when I saw Arma2 in the works. Now I'm back...

I still have the original Track IR 1. In fact I just tried getting it to work on Windows 7, but I can't get the drivers to work. The original came with little round reflective foil looking dots that you'd stick to a hat, forehead, ect. I still have a box of those :)

Anyway, I can't speak for the newer versions YET (I just ordered one a min ago), but I can vouch for the original (we are talking 7-8? years old technology).

If you do any type of flying or driving then this is a must have.

I used to play WW2online and IL-2 all the time and if you DIDN'T have a TrackIR you would just get mopped up.

It is one thing if your playing a generic arcade shooter where you get to respawn all the time after you die, but when your playing a simulation FPS or Flight Simulator you generally spend more time *getting to the action* versus *in the action*....

...so you need every advantage you can get to stay alive.

Anyway...my setup now is in front of a 46" samsung tv which I sit about 5-7ft away so hopefully this will work?!

The only buyer beware I'd say in this case is that your game might take some performance hit which many of you might be on the fence about right now. Is this true to the newer versions TrackIR4 or TrackIR5? Back in the days I know I had to drop a resolution or two....how about now?

I'll post my experience with the new TrackIR5 vs original TrackIR when I get it in a few weeks.

At least now I don't have to use the dorky dots on my head :)

kwhy

follow up to the above...

I got my trackir5 very quick. I was thinking it was going to be 2-3 weeks until they shipped it, but it went out immediately. I ordered the track clip pro as well. The only beef I have is that the clip pro seems cheaply made (very delicate) and I had to snap a few pieces of it together when it arrived, but it works perfectly.

One thing that might make the clip pro better would be if you could somehow swivel the actual clip 90 degrees. This would allow you to clip it on to glasses.

Anyway, I loaded up the trackir5 beta off Natural Points website, plugged in the Trackir5, put on my antlers, selected track clip pro, moved my head around, hit the center key, moved my head around some more...

..then I loaded up Arma2 and it was working perfectly. The incremental lean is really handy. Maybe one day Arma2 will have the full 6 degrees and you'll be able to peek up and over objects as well.

I'm sitting about 5-6 ft away from an 46" Samsung and have it positioned below the LCD and it works perfectly (I'm sitting on the floor using my small coffee table).

I'd recommend setting one of your extra mouse keys for trackir center key because you will use that a lot. The default is f12.

I find the hat clip works just as well if not better than the track clip pro, but you have to put a cap on to use that.

It might seem a bit pricey and your going to probably say WTF when you get the small box it comes in (I thought they forgot part of my order), but it is a really great product for gaming.

too bad no one has picked this up yet for the console world.

Edited by kwhy