Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA feedback thread - based on Beta Patch 1.16

There are few different ways to "fix" that, put the path in your shortcut, or copy the Beta 1,16.exe in to the root ARMA folder and use it,But use the search function of the forum for all the real fixes. ( i use Goarma and Yoma to play the game)

found it, fixed the path... still laggy, same lag on this newer machine then on my old OLD one....

Stock Nvidia 8800GTX. Sorry about not replying sooner. :)

Also, using 182.50 drivers.

Update: am now having intermitant problem - on a couple of occasions the Nvidia driver has stopped responding and screen alternates between blank and normal. Will get some more info when can test at the weekend.

Tested: basically can play stock queens gambit campaign. 7 times out of 10 loads fine, 3 times out of ten will either hang in a menu or gear view, or I'll get a driver not responding and need to reboot.

If I try the mission editor it will lock up on a menu everytime sooner or later.

Tried playing with ACES mod - again will always lock up on a menu sooner or later.

I guess its avoid using menus wherever possible! Hope to have better luck with ArmA2 - thank the lord it is not far away!:o

I noticed a AI that missed a turn on Schmafelden, backed up and turned around. Is AI backing up new? I don't think Ive seen it before.

When flying planes or even choppers in the mission editor computer freezes.

With all settings to low, AA to normal, viewdistance to 3000.

After hitting preview button in editor the hard disk emits a short tic sound (I presume it is loading textures) then I take off with an A-10, fps seems smooth.

Then I fly over Corazol and the hard disk makes the same noise again as at the start but as my plane has speed around 500 this time screen freezes and hard disk led is on (not even flickering for at least 10 minutes), I can't alt-tab and I have to press the reboot button.

Also tried it with an AH1Z helicopter (starting at airfield) when I got over Corazol and going into south part of northern Sahrani the hard disk makes a tic sound again but this time it doesn't freeze. But once I turn around and go toward Ortego near this town I reach 300 speed with my chopper and screen freezes.

It happens both in 1.14 and 1.16, could be that my HD is dying (4 years old).

When flying planes or even choppers in the mission editor computer freezes.

With all settings to low, AA to normal, viewdistance to 3000.

After hitting preview button in editor the hard disk emits a short tic sound (I presume it is loading textures) then I take off with an A-10, fps seems smooth.

Then I fly over Corazol and the hard disk makes the same noise again as at the start but as my plane has speed around 500 this time screen freezes and hard disk led is on (not even flickering for at least 10 minutes), I can't alt-tab and I have to press the reboot button.

Also tried it with an AH1Z helicopter (starting at airfield) when I got over Corazol and going into south part of northern Sahrani the hard disk makes a tic sound again but this time it doesn't freeze. But once I turn around and go toward Ortego near this town I reach 300 speed with my chopper and screen freezes.

It happens both in 1.14 and 1.16, could be that my HD is dying (4 years old).

Yup sounds like a certain sector on your HD is damaged. The "tic" you hear is probably a headcrash. I had a similar problem years ago where a HD in my comp at work always made that tic sound when trying to read a certain file. The HD still worked overall, so I was able to backup my files from from it, just that one file was unreadable. (The file was a 1x1 px transparent GIF image I had created on the same day the problem started. Since then I have never created another 1x1px transparent GIF for fear of it breaking my hard drive. :D)

So, well I guess you should backup everything on that HD while you can and replace it. :)

Posted in the hardware thread as well but I dont know if this is due to this patch.

I bought a HD4870 1 GB.

I tryed it out on Arma and everything looks real good.

But after playing a while the screen get totally messed up, textures disappering, then a freeze and then my computer restarts.

Then i started to search for the problem, took me but then i used ATI tray tools to set up so i could see how much free video memory that was available.

When the game starts its up to 1 GB, but as you play, load up the map and get ingame it decreases. That feels normal, when you load textures the free availible memory goes down. But it never goes up again!.

When the game starts I got around 700-800MB of free memory, then i fly around alot so the game need to load a lot of textures, but as i fly around it never stabilises, it just drops and when i get to around 400-500MB of free video memory the game and the computer crashes. If i fly it down to about 600MB and then go back to the main menu, there is still only 600MB free. If I load a new map and fly around it starts to go down from there.

And the funny part is, that it resets back to 1GB-800MB whenever i Alt+Tab out and in of the game or change resolution. I can play for as long as i want as long as i reset it like this.

It's not like this in other games i tried, usually it goes back up again when loading another another map or such. Or in some games when you'r idle.

I thought it was my CPU that was clogging up at first, but since I can play as long as i Alt+Tab out and in, it doesnt seem to be the problem.

With low graphic settings and maps with not so much vegetation it doesn't make a big impact on the memory. And you need to go around the map a bit so some textures gets loaded.

I really would like an answer so i know i don't have a defect GFX card.

Also got the latest ATI drivers.

Crazyfox, some questions:

- What GFX card did you have before?

- What power supply do you have in your computer?

- What is the temperature like in your case? Any case fans?

- Have you overclocked your CPU or the GFX card?

Before I had a X1300.

Have a Corsair 550 VX.

I have a front fan, but the temprature is stable. Cpu never goes over 55 C, GPU never over 60 C.

I've used the overdrive function in CCC, so OC:ed the GPU a bit. But it's been stable. But the game crashed just like that before i had even activated the overdrive so it doesnt seem to be related.

@kklownboy

Using the 1.16 patch.

3GB: 2 512MB and 2 1GB.

Edited by Crazyfox

what version of ARMA?, and how much System RAM do you have?

I did these test while starting up the game, ran the editor, Sahrani map flying one jet. Would have crashed if i had not tabbed out.

http://img194.imageshack.us/my.php?image=videomemory.png

http://img51.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hardwaremonitoring.png

I don't have so many other high end graphic games, but the ones i've tested on my computer usually stabilizes around a value.

Also before each crash the fps drops to around 1-2 fps for some secounds with messed up graphics just before the crash.

Is it a memory leak in the game? Can anyone else check the video memory when playing?

Thx for any help.

I did and it made no diffrence.

I tryed out some diffrent settings though and found that it is the texture detail thats causing my computer to crash.

No matter what i put the rest of the settings to, all maxed or all to lowest, i can't put the texture detail higher than to normal. At normal the free memory levels out before i crash, but im not sure if the memory is related. Maybe the memory levels out fine after a while but my CPU or hard drive cannot load textures high textures fast enough. They are not so up to date.

Does anyone know what hardware the texture detail is most dependant on?

Anyway i can play the game now so i will stop spamming this thread. :)

Properly install newest drivers and latest March09 DirectX 9.0

if problem's still there... PM Suma about it...he should be interested.

I tryed it out on Arma and everything looks real good.

But after playing a while the screen get totally messed up, textures disappering, then a freeze and then my computer restarts.

I personally think they have messed up Arma1. I have a problem that sounds like yours. I play for a while and then the game will completely freeze for about 30 seconds. After the freeze the textures are either messed up (strange colours on the screen) or I get a single huge texture that completely fills my screen. A lot of time after this happens when I exit the game my computer acts strange (mouse won't properly click on windows) or sometimes the screen goes completely black. I have to reboot the computer to get things back to normal.

This problem only happens with Arma. It happens a lot with 1.14 but less so with 1.16 patch (but it still happens).

It isn't an overheat issue. It is a coding issue with Arma.

I greatly suspect the follow article has something to do with this bug. I believe the memory technique they describe that was first introduced in the 1.11 patch is the problem:

http://www.bistudio.com/developers-blog/breaking-the-32-bit-barrier-3_en.html

Edited by SlipperyJim

Just tried the 1.16 beta.

My impressions after a quick play with the editor is that my gaming experiance has improved. On my old rig it ran alot smoother for me. I have just also installed the latest 185 nvidia drivers as well.

old rig specs.

P4 2.6HT

2 gb ram

XP sp2

7600GT vid card.

Thanks BI for the patch.

Q...each time these patches are applied, do you lose your saved games?

No, you don´t loose your saves by patching the game.

No, you don´t loose your saves by patching the game.

Thank you:)

Patch runs well even with Acemod any chance for the addition of multicontroller support in the official patch....PLEASE so us simmers with pedals can fly better.

Toggle view out do not works for vehicles nor for sniper rifle.

AI, can still easily detect me at night when I'm heavily covered by bushes in croshed position.

AI, fires those tank machine guns like a high precision sniper, agaist helis.

Technically, the 1.16 beta is working 100% fine for me. I hope you are still working on it (a bit).

Hey dear Bohemia Interactive Team!

Just press the "release for final" key on your desktop.! :D