Sign in to follow this  
sgt_hawkins

Do we have Rivers this time??

I been hoping for a river system in Arma for a long time. I'm hoping they haven't left it out....again. Because Arma's Maps are so flat the only obstacle for a tank would be a river. (Delores was a tanks worst nightmare)

Rivers also gives the map realistic strategic Positions like bridges.(the bridge near Obregron was a joke) Not to mention if you are gonna have boats in the game why not have a boat route???This gives the missions and mission makers a much broader scope of ideas and possibility's .

I don't need a beautiful waterfall (even though it would be awesome ;)) I just need a realistic map.

BTW. When I say flat I don't mean there are no mountains. I mean there are no gully's or ditches that would be an obstacle for vehicles.

There are lakes, but in a game with such a huge viewdistance, the terrain cell size is too large to have proper gullies and ditches. It'll be a few years until this is done in games.

There are lakes, but in a game with such a huge viewdistance, the terrain cell size is too large to have proper gullies and ditches. It'll be a few years until this is done in games.

are you sure?

@Sgt_Hawkins there will be big rivers and streams in moded Terrains, don't worry, its just a matter of time ;)

Edit: I only wonder if the new tools for ArmA2 will allow to edit/make more detailed terrain, thats my wish.

Edited by bravo 6

Looks more like pond.p3d v2.0

you sure its a .p3d? I have similar in Al Amiriya.. (i rader call it streams in amiriya) but yeah the water looks different indeed.

maybe an animated p3d pond?

hum.. Interesting.

Who cares if it is an extended Pond.p3d ..... if they have fixed the physics so it acts like water to man and vehicles, perfect!

Just because you saw it in ArmA-1, doesn't mean it does exactly the same thing in ArmA-2

I think it has been said several times that there are no Rivers in Chernarus / ArmA2 but lakes and ponds.

I think it has been said several times that there are no Rivers in Chernarus / ArmA2 but lakes and ponds.

It was said several times there won't be working trains as well. But it appears that there will be some. BIS aren't that trustworthy ;) .

rivers are great , if there are bridge laying tanks it would be realistic as real life...uuhh

But it is said since OFP that it would make sense :cool:

I will fire up ArmA 2, start editor, lift Chechnarus island virtually on one corner and have a look if all lakes will loose their water :D

Yea I remember a bridge in OFP on Nogova island which had a large body of water under it..but the AI path finding was terrible (on bridges) Well I place my faith in the community that will give us a nice realistic map....with rivers!

I did a search before my post and I did one after your post. This is the Only Post that talks specifically about Rivers in Chernarus.:cool:

2 dams and some lakes and ponds. no rivers :( At least they should place some swamps/high grass on the map, where the streams should be..

btw it'd be cool to have also some dilapidated railroads, stadiums and "Kolgujev" atmosphere in the game, too!

there was this swamp in the trackIR5 video, its when the guy flys the Mi-24 for the first time, like after he flys over a building

In Arma 2 it will be possible to make ponds. There will be no support for flowing water. But If you know how bigger rivers look like you will agree with me when I say, its possible to make river like this: Make long (river-like) pond, after it place some tie object (weir or some stones with water flowing between) and then again another river-like pond. I don't want to release some hoax but I saw in some picture it was made like this. Actualy I cannot find it.

This all means, that it will be possible to have some kind of rivers in game, but its not sure that they will be in South Zagorie.