Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

yes it does run on Windows 7

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

hello:

these settings is it enough?

CPU AMD Phenom x4 3400Ghz Quad

Mother board Gigabyte

GPU XFX GTS 250 (i have 2 SLI)

Power Supply 550 Watts

Zelman Cooling Fan(the huge chopper one)

3 GB RAM DDR2

is this enough??? to run the game everything full

Well ... I just want to inform you what my specs are:

OEM: Windows 7 Ultimate

• CPU: AMD Phenom x4 965 4x 3,4 Ghz

• + COOLER: Asus Silent Square EVO

• Board: Asus M4A79T Deluxe (Designed for AM3)

• Ram: OCZ 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz

• Graphic: Gainward GeForce GTX260 Golden Sample (it's a hell of a overclocked 260 :D )

• HDD: A nice Western Digital

Everything is packed into a Thermaltake ElementS with a Xilence 700w Gamer ATX.

I was surprised, it runs 1280x1024px on very high (+ full range visibility )without any problems on a 64 vs 64 mp server.

I spent not more than 1.000,- € for the whole system ... (I built it by myself)

Probably I'll help someone not to get poor ;D

Greez

The OLD BeErZyMoTiC

Wondering if anyone here has tried to run ARMA 2 on a Mac through bootcamp. A guy on the (unmentionable game) forum did this and said it worked pretty well.

So, seeking advice on doing this as opposed to buying a whole new system. I think the processor is core duo 2.4 ghz. unsure of GPU

[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 (4x 2.66GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)-

4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand

500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR -- Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB-

ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 512MB-Single Card

im back... again... what you think of this one and any suggestions on what to change? I feel like most of these things should work but yet again I'm not sure... mostly about the graphics card...? And if this will work would you give me a general idea on it's capabilities? (in game settings, AI amount) Ok I really want my PC to handle lots of things going on and I dont want to attempt to overclock it or anything like that but I still have a budget and all that...

Wondering if anyone here has tried to run ARMA 2 on a Mac through bootcamp. A guy on the (unmentionable game) forum did this and said it worked pretty well.

So, seeking advice on doing this as opposed to buying a whole new system. I think the processor is core duo 2.4 ghz. unsure of GPU

I'm running mine on Bootcamp at the moment. It's okay, but depending on what you're GPU is, you may have to look at running A2 Windowed. It's worth upgrading the graphics drivers to latest Nvidia/ATI ones, as the Bootcamp drivers are pretty lame. Check out the Nvidia tools/ATI Catalyst as they give you the option to cut out some of the more demanding graphical effects. Also, have a look at this which you can use to overclock your GPU. Use at your own risk though and watch out for temperature increases. Use something like this to set fan speeds from your MAC OS.

The main issue for you will be CPU, which generally gets bogged down when there's many units on screen. Overall, it works, but don't expect super performance. By the way, check out your GPU model by going into 'Apple menu' > 'About this Mac' > 'More info' > 'Graphics/Displays'

EDIT: It might be worth contacting 'Animal Mother 92' (I think that's his name). From what I understand, he's running Bootcamp on his Mac Pro (lucky bloke)

Edited by Das Attorney
Update

Im about to scrap my beast from the past, Hp pavilion bought back in '02 :D

Anyways i saw a cheap laptop on discount (READ: im poor, cant afford a desktop cpu + lcd display), it specs are:

Core i3-330m @ 2.13 Ghz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 w/1GB DDR3

4 GB DDR3 RAM

320gb HD 5400rpm/min

Win 7 64bit

Will i be able to play A2 smoothly @ medium settings?

Anyways i saw a cheap laptop on discount (READ: im poor, cant afford a desktop cpu + lcd display), it specs are:

Core i3-330m @ 2.13 Ghz

4 GB DDR3 RAM

320gb HD 5400rpm/min

Win 7 64bit

Just by looking at it, I would say it's a very decent laptop, I do however doubt if it'll run A2 on medium, since it's a laptop, which especially means the videocard will be pretty slow compared to the desktop variant.

The best comparisation would be to find someone else who has a laptop capable of running ArmA 2, and comparing that laptops spec's to yours.

Core i3-330m @ 2.13 Ghz

4 GB DDR3 RAM

320gb HD 5400rpm/min

Win 7 64bit

A desktop plus lcd display will probably be a lot cheaper then a laptop that has the same specs.

When I bought my desktop I got a secondhand 19" LG flatron CRT display for 15 euro's so I could spend the rest of the money on the graphics card:)

[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400 (4x 2.66GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)-

Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR -- Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB-

please I need to know soon or else I might not even be able to get it

im back... again... what you think of this one and any suggestions on what to change? I feel like most of these things should work but yet again I'm not sure... mostly about the graphics card...? And if this will work would you give me a general idea on it's capabilities? (in game settings, AI amount) Ok I really want my PC to handle lots of things going on and I dont want to attempt to overclock it or anything like that but I still have a budget and all that...

Ditch the q9400 and get the q9550 it's not much more and go for the ati 5850. Everything else looks good.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11990685

AMD Phenom II X4 925

Radeon HD 5850

4gigs ram

^^

Would this be able to run the highest settings or at least pretty high settings? Also, I remember reading somewhere that this processor was not good with this game. Is that changed now after patches or anything?

Edited by paccman

Hey there, new guy here. Not sure if this is the place to ask this question. I'm new to PC building and I'm doing my first build. I'm hoping to be able to play ArmA2 on it. Just wondering if I will be able to and on what settings. Thanks in advance.

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16827118030

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822136284

SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814102857

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817171036

Saitek PZ30AUR 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Red Backlit Keyboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16823175104

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231277

ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813131410

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819115215

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16832116754

Edited by Stupideye

Hi all

A quick reminder to those with high spec machines that running at too low settings can actually cause ArmA to run more slowly than it should. ;) Dont cripple your ArmA with log jam type settings.

Fast CPUs and a 4890 similar or above should be able to run ArmA at very high settings as long as you do not push too many pixels or waste GPU cycles on view distances you can not see in reality and since ArmA simulates reality you will not see them in ArmA too.

Do not make your graphic card push around too many pixels though; too high a res is the one thing guaranteed to slow down even the fastest graphics card. The 1024 resolutions are a good bunch to set ArmA at if you can eke it out a bit more by testing do so.

~1600m is a good average view distance. Remember BIS always future proof their products so that as hardware improves you can get more out of ArmA. ArmA in this sense is like a fine wine, it gets better with age, just the same as OFP did.

And Don't waste graphic card power on view distances beyond which you can not see in reality. You only need to be above ~1600m for: snipers, crew served weapons with scopes and aircraft.

The unaided human eye can only see another human as a spec at ~1000m. Beyond that scopes are needed to define if the spec is armed or a threat. Here in reality Vehicles cannot be perceived beyond ~2500m.

Optics whether they be digital optics of a gun camera or the glass optics of a scope or binoculars increase ranges but in all honesty view distances much greater than ~3000m are more or less pointless.

Maxing everything out is an exercise in a lack of understanding of reality.

Next time you are outside on a clear day, idealy with binoculars in the 7x50 to 8x30 range and some referense objects on a map, see how far you can see different objects at, both with and without optics, then match it ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hey all, first time posting in this forum :)

I've been playing ArmA 1 for a while now and love it.

I'm just wondering if my laptop will be able to run ArmA 2 at a reasonable level. The demo doesn't run great on my system but I understand that there are some serious perfomance issues with the demo.

Here's my specs:

Processor, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz

4 Gig ram

Graphics Card, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Windows 7 64bit

I'm most likely missing something here from my specs, if you need any more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Could someone PLEASE respond to my post above? I'm about to purchase the parts but I don't know if ArmA can run on it and if I can play on high. Thanks.

Could someone PLEASE respond to my post above? I'm about to purchase the parts but I don't know if ArmA can run on it and if I can play on high. Thanks.

Whats your budget? And what part of the country are you in?

Sorry, nevermind. I asked on another website and I will be able to run ArmA2 with no problems. Thanks anyway.

Hi Stupideye

The specs you posted theoretically would allow you play at very high but note what I said about pushing around too many pixels so start at around the 1024 resolutions (depends on what your monitor can do and whether you are using a wide screen monitor) and if you can cope with the higher resolutions do so and remember to set view distances you can not see in reality.

More Ram might be useful.

That low clock-speed CPU while new technology might be a bottle neck.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

hey, i've tried my best to look through this thread but i havn't found anyone with a similar system to mine, so here we go (im mainly worried about the graphics card here)

Gigabyte Mirco ATX Motherboard GA-MA78LM-S2

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.6 (Quad Core)

PALIT GeForce® GT 220 (512MB DDR2)

2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM

thanks to anyone who can help :)

A quick question if you will....

Im currently using a 9600GT, obviously right at the bottom end of what is capable of really running arma2, my cpu is athlon64 x2 4400 @2.6ghz, again at the bottom end of the range. using winxp and 3 gig of ram, once Ive done all the normal graphics tweaks I can get between 15-25 fps on harvest red (specifically manhattan which Im working through now), 1024 all settings on normal apart from shadows on high and PP off.

Ive found that reducing graphic details gives no further increase in fps, increasing them decreases fps slightly (the main killer being veiw distance which I have at 1600-1800). Assuming therefore its not just the graphics card that is bottlenecking, but the cpu aswell.

Would I be likely to benefit from a more up to date graphics card (thinking 8800GTS)? I do have an SLI board so that is a possibilty although my previous experience with SLI was very dissapointing and a huge waste of money :(

Cant afford to upgrade the whole lot unfortunately so will likely have to plod on as it is for the moment. As Ive only played through harvest red so far, how do individual missions/mp compare with regards to framerates?

Beers in advance :cheers:

does the CPU cache memory matter because I now am looking at a an i3 540 Processor - 2 x 3.06 GHz/4MB L3 Cache

does the CPU cache memory matter because I now am looking at a an i3 540 Processor - 2 x 3.06 GHz/4MB L3 Cache

why not get the i5-750, it's twice the processor and only 1.4 times the price.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

A quick question if you will....

Im currently using a 9600GT, obviously right at the bottom end of what is capable of really running arma2, my cpu is athlon64 x2 4400 @2.6ghz, again at the bottom end of the range. using winxp and 3 gig of ram, once Ive done all the normal graphics tweaks I can get between 15-25 fps on harvest red (specifically manhattan which Im working through now), 1024 all settings on normal apart from shadows on high and PP off.

Ive found that reducing graphic details gives no further increase in fps, increasing them decreases fps slightly (the main killer being veiw distance which I have at 1600-1800). Assuming therefore its not just the graphics card that is bottlenecking, but the cpu aswell.

Would I be likely to benefit from a more up to date graphics card (thinking 8800GTS)? I do have an SLI board so that is a possibilty although my previous experience with SLI was very dissapointing and a huge waste of money :(

Cant afford to upgrade the whole lot unfortunately so will likely have to plod on as it is for the moment. As Ive only played through harvest red so far, how do individual missions/mp compare with regards to framerates?

Beers in advance :cheers:

the 9600 is faster then an 8800gts. your biggest performance increase would be a better processor I think, go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and see if a "phenom II" cpu is supported.

the 9600 is faster then an 8800gts. your biggest performance increase would be a better processor I think, go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and see if a "phenom II" cpu is supported.

Surely not? I was under the impression that the 8800 was basically the same as the 9800 which is definitely faster than the 9600gt; think its to do with the 8800 having more pipelines unlocked, could be wrong though. Id agree with you on the processor (even though its on the BIS recommeded hardware list :D ), unfortunately because I have a s939 board I cant upgrade my processor any :(

Surely not? I was under the impression that the 8800 was basically the same as the 9800 which is definitely faster than the 9600gt; think its to do with the 8800 having more pipelines unlocked, could be wrong though. Id agree with you on the processor (even though its on the BIS recommeded hardware list :D ), unfortunately because I have a s939 board I cant upgrade my processor any :(

toms hardware hierarchy chart

It seems it all depends on what memory is on it, the 320MB is slower, the 640MB is on par and the 512MB is faster :confused: but its all really close. nothing you're gonna notice