Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'm running mine on Bootcamp at the moment. It's okay, but depending on what you're GPU is, you may have to look at running A2 Windowed. It's worth upgrading the graphics drivers to latest Nvidia/ATI ones, as the Bootcamp drivers are pretty lame. Check out the Nvidia tools/ATI Catalyst as they give you the option to cut out some of the more demanding graphical effects. Also, have a look at this which you can use to overclock your GPU. Use at your own risk though and watch out for temperature increases. Use something like this to set fan speeds from your MAC OS.

The main issue for you will be CPU, which generally gets bogged down when there's many units on screen. Overall, it works, but don't expect super performance. By the way, check out your GPU model by going into 'Apple menu' > 'About this Mac' > 'More info' > 'Graphics/Displays'

EDIT: It might be worth contacting 'Animal Mother 92' (I think that's his name). From what I understand, he's running Bootcamp on his Mac Pro (lucky bloke)

Thanks. I am going to try this this weekend. I think my GPU is pretty weak (actually my wife's computer) ATI 4200 or something like that.

Hello mates. I´m fairly new to the forums and to ArmA 2 itself (a vet of OFp, though).

These are my specs:

Nvidia 9800GT 512MB

E4600 @ 2.4Ghz

P17G Mobo

2 Gb RAM

I´ve got everything on normal, except AA and postprocessing which are disabled. Distance view is set to 2400m and the game is patched to 1.05.

Everything runs fine untill I get to buildup areas when the picture turns "slow-motionish" per se. And that´s without a firefight. All mission I´ve seen so far involve some town or other.

I´ve tried everything but still I can´t get anywhere near towns or villages without a drop in fps.

I know perhaps a new, faster CPU will help but that won´t be forthcoming in the near future, so I have to make do with what´s available.

Any tips on settings or tweaks that would help?

Thanks in advance.

You can put the viewdistance lower, turn off shadows, put terrain detail on very low, put the unit detail lower those are all things that load the cpu.

Resolution, aa and postprocessing just load the videocard.

Off course - expect it sometime soon ;

-----------------------------------------

Daun schreib i da a glei wo a'n kauft hot ;)

Trust a fellow viennese :) Thanks man!!

Seas, S

OK, so I was going to try Arma 2 through Bootcamp on our mac but the video card looks like it wont handle it (ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro)

So I'm looking on craigslist for a computer. Which would be better for Arma 2? (considering the price I could upgrade either of these):

For $300:

Motherboard: Intel BOXDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 - Duo E6850 # 3.00GHz

RAM: 4 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia 9600GT 512MB

Hard Drive: 300 GB SATA

Power Supply: Thermal Take

Optical Drive: DVD Burner 8X

This system has no mouse, keybord or operating system

OR

For $500:

Asus M2A-MVP mobo(latest bios version 0511)

4g G-SKILL PC6400 Gaming ram

Diamond 4870 1gb VGA

AMD 8750 triple core black edition 2.4ghz cpu

600 watt thermaltake power supply

IDE DVD rom

Cooler Master 690 case with windowed side panel

120gb Seagate HD

Windows 7 32bit ultimate installed & activated,

latest Graphics drivers 10.1

this system has a mouse and keyboard

And thanks for considering my question

Edited by andromedagalaxe

for what its worth, the 3.0 C2D cpu is better for arma2 than the amd triple core @ 2.4, but I think either of these is an investment in the past. Personally I would invest in some money in hardware better suited for a future of gaming.

If you are willing to spend more than 500$ (as you suggested), I think you could do much better by researching more and spending smarter. Try building a computer by purchasing individual parts instead of a package deal like the craigslist. Plenty of resources on the internet to learn how to put the parts together yourself.

(OFP) my first computer was a Dell (big mistake)

(ARMA1) my second was built by http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ with me selecting each and every component with expandability in mind. this was much better. While I had no problems with my computer from this vendor, I have read other reviews stating horrible customer service and DOA parts, so buyer beware!

(ARMA2) my third was (re)built by myself, by replacing many of the parts from the Cyberpower build with newer hardware, while keeping many of the core parts. I upgraded the Motherboard, HDD, CPU, PSU, memory, and GFX card.

My hardware choices were selected based on running BIS games as priortiy number 1 ! :D

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1561939']for what its worth' date=' the 3.0 C2D cpu is better for arma2 than the amd triple core @ 2.4, but I think either of these is an investment in the past. Personally I would invest in some money in hardware better suited for a future of gaming.

If you are willing to spend more than 500$ (as you suggested), I think you could do much better by researching more and spending smarter. Try building a computer by purchasing individual parts instead of a package deal like the craigslist. Plenty of resources on the internet to learn how to put the parts together yourself.

(OFP) my first computer was a Dell (big mistake)

(ARMA1) my second was built by http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ with me selecting each and every component with expandability in mind. this was much better. While I had no problems with my computer from this vendor, I have read other reviews stating horrible customer service and DOA parts, so buyer beware!

(ARMA2) my third was (re)built by myself, by replacing many of the parts from the Cyberpower build with newer hardware, while keeping many of the core parts. I upgraded the Motherboard, HDD, CPU, PSU, memory, and GFX card.

My hardware choices were selected based on running BIS games as priortiy number 1 ! :D

Thanks for this advice. Following your lead, could I not buy this computer now and then begin to upgrade it over time? I was thinking of getting the one you suggested and upgrading the video card because that would play ARMA 2 right now decently if I put a better card in it. Maybe at some point in the future I upgrade the motherboard and processor.

What do you think?

you could buy a 200$ video card and make that system run Arma2, but I don't suggest it. I dont think that the hardware in question is worth the money or the bother of 'upgrading at a later time' because it's badly in need of upgrading right now! (for Arma2) :D

How computer savvy are you, ie; replacing parts and tweaking bios for overclock?

If you are smart, you can buy components individually and build yourself a good computer out of lesser parts by tweaking more performance out of them.

How much money are you willing to spend?

If you are ignorant about computers, then you will have to pay (a lot) more and have someone build it for you.

How desperate to play Arma2 are you?

from the post asking for advice on these mediocre systems, I'd say you know little about computers and want to play the game very badly, but have limited resources.

You are in a tough situation, and you will probably just buy a lesser system and play the game.

good luck! :cool:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1562010']you could buy a 200$ video card and make that system run Arma2' date=' but I don't suggest it. I dont think that the hardware in question is worth the money or the bother of 'upgrading at a later time' because it's badly in need of upgrading right now! (for Arma2) :D

How computer savvy are you, ie; replacing parts and tweaking bios for overclock?

If you are smart, you can buy components individually and build yourself a good computer out of lesser parts by tweaking more performance out of them.

How much money are you willing to spend?

If you are ignorant about computers, then you will have to pay (a lot) more and have someone build it for you.

How desperate to play Arma2 are you?

from the post asking for advice on these mediocre systems, I'd say you know little about computers and want to play the game very badly, but have limited resources.

You are in a tough situation, and you will probably just buy a lesser system and play the game.

good luck! :cool:[/quote']

You guessed right. I don't want to spend $1000-$1,500 on i7 and top of the line just to play arma 2 (although I could afford it -- my federal tax refund alone is more than $4000) because that is ALL this computer would be for. We have several computers already that do everything we need that's non-videogame related. I'm not into buying and playing every game. But I want Arma2 pretty badly because it is a unique thing in this world, and with the user-created content, something that would last for a long time.

I've been pricing out building an i7 system and it seems like an extravagance. (I haven't built one before but I researched the process pretty thoroughly so I'm confident I could handle it).

But I figured $300 and a little upgrading and i'd be playing the game and happy

the $300 machine might be an investment in the past but it really isn't a bad deal. If you just want to play the game and dont care about graphics. The $500 system is actually worse because of the terribly slow processor, If you're gonna take amd get a Phenom II

If you're going to build a new system I suggest you take a core i5 (basically an i7 without hyperthreading), a good quality motherboard and a good psu. But that alone will set you back $500, but if you cheap out on those things you'll forever regret it. And then you still need memory, a gpu, a case, a harddrive, a dvdrom player and windows. (and maybe an aftermarket cooler :) )

Anyone running ArmA2 on a similar setup?

AMD CPU PHENOM II X4 955 BOX 3200 MHz

MSI Radeon HD5850, 1GB, 256bit, OC

OCZ Obsidian, 4Gb 1600Mhz, Kit of 2

Should be enough to run ArmA2 smooth, right?

Anyone running ArmA2 on a similar setup?

AMD CPU PHENOM II X4 955 BOX 3200 MHz

MSI Radeon HD5850, 1GB, 256bit, OC

OCZ Obsidian, 4Gb 1600Mhz, Kit of 2

Should be enough to run ArmA2 smooth, right?

yes, it should...The HDD read speed is also important due to size, number and complexity of models/textures in the scene

the $300 machine might be an investment in the past but it really isn't a bad deal. If you just want to play the game and dont care about graphics. The $500 system is actually worse because of the terribly slow processor, If you're gonna take amd get a Phenom II

If you're going to build a new system I suggest you take a core i5 (basically an i7 without hyperthreading), a good quality motherboard and a good psu. But that alone will set you back $500, but if you cheap out on those things you'll forever regret it. And then you still need memory, a gpu, a case, a harddrive, a dvdrom player and windows. (and maybe an aftermarket cooler :) )

thanks for the help guys.

yes, it should...The HDD read speed is also important due to size, number and complexity of models/textures in the scene

I guess an SSD disk would be preferred? Or is it enough with a Western Digital VELOCIRAPTOR, 150GB, SATA2, 10000 RPM, 16MB?

I guess an SSD disk would be preferred? Or is it enough with a Western Digital VELOCIRAPTOR, 150GB, SATA2, 10000 RPM, 16MB?

A SSD or a 15k HDD is preferred. A 10K would do as well. My own opinion is to keep a balance between money spent and end results = money well spent

TBH, the ones who are having the smoothest gameplay are the ones who moved part/all of their game content to their RAM (6gb or more required).

Read here:http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388

NVIDIA GeForce G220 - 1.024Gb dedicated graphics

intel i5 cpu.- 2.66GHz

320Gb hardrive space

4Gb RAM

All for 450 aussie dollars

will arma 2 run smooth with graphics turned down low?

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

And even if it wont will ArmA still run fine with medium gfx and high fps because i am sick of dragon rising and ofp elite on consoles and i am giving up consoles

If anyone would like to offer some help on pc gaming (the biggest pc iv played is solitaire, or counterstrike for 5 minutes at my mates house, and i dont know how to get mods and stuff?

Thank-you in advance, as i am really looking forward to becoming part of the arma/ofp community

try finding a proper dedicated GFX card, instead of the GT220 one. You'll thank me on the long term

i recommend the following:

5870> 5850 >4890 >GTX275/260 >4870

5850 is the best performance/buck

ok how much can i pick one up for? i only have 100 bucks left over for gfx card, will that be enough, if not il invest towards the 5850 when i am able to get part time job after i finally (hopefully) recieve my degree. Will 220 still give me reasonable fps, i dont care much for gfx, thankyou.

ok how much can i pick one up for? i only have 100 bucks left over for gfx card, will that be enough, if not il invest towards the 5850 when i am able to get part time job after i finally (hopefully) recieve my degree. Will 220 still give me reasonable fps, i dont care much for gfx, thankyou.

Just have a look over at one of your local stores for a card that fits in your budget.

the GT220 is NOT a gaming card. I cannot foresee how it will behave in any game, sorry

For what it's worth someone at the gamefaqs board claimed to have decent performance with a gt220. I have no idea what the rest of their config was though. The game was playable on my old 9400gt so who knows. It won't be great but it would probably work.

il get the 220 just for the moment, il get the 5850 when i have the money, bec ause i am desperate to get into theses games, il probably get arma1 first though as it will probably run better on the 220.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

ArmA 1 is still good yea?

OK, here is what I went with:

e8400 running stock 3.0ghz

4870 1 gig

650 sata hdd

4 gig ddr2 ram

windows 7 64 bit

Running 1680x1050, most on normal, view distance 2000 and getting pretty good results, but would like to improve. A little stuttering and pop in. Not really sure what setting causes the most problems.

My guess is that overclocking will give the best performance improvement rather than some of the other things I have seen here like ramdisks and using xp 32 bit. I have not checked whether I have the latest ATI drivers yet and will do that this week.

I have notice pretty bad pop in (in forested areas) so maybe it has something to do with the hard drive read speed (rated 5.9 out of 7.9 on my system check and the worst rating I got).

So should I try overclocking as my first move?

Edited by andromedagalaxe

It's not goin to be cheap my rig only gets 29 to 50 FPS on med low settings.

Edit see what you got looks good!!