Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

It's a common thought that pc developers just want to make the most demanding games out there and sell newer hardware. The developers don't make money from hardware, they make it on game sales. They want as many people playing as possible. The day a game comes out that requires a $400+ GPU is the day I stay home playing old games.

Tru dat :)

I'm planning a new gamer system too. After reading a lot here and considering the benchmarks with the Radeons only, i personally come to the following config and would recommend it. Not too expensive and should ensure a good balance of quality and fps:

CPU: Intel Core i5 / AMD 4 cores

GPU: ATI Radeon 5850 / new nVidia 460 (nvidia: no benchmarks yet)

RAM: 4 GB DDR3

What do you think ?

Hello, i'm new to the forums, and im wondering if I will be able to run arma 2 on my current system at a decent framespeed, graphics quality doesn't really matter atm.

I'll be upgrading my system later on in the year, i just want to know if i can run the game now

my current setup is:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel Core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)

ASUS P5K motherboard

4GB 1066 MHz Kingston Ram

ASUS Nvidia 8600GTS

Also i am confused by the 3 digit nvidia naming system, or is it the same as before: less than 5 is low (250), 6 is midrange (260) and > 6 is high

And by all means answer gambla's post first, I am pushing in after all ;)

Hi,

My current video card (ECS Nvidia 9500GT) is almost dead and I need to get a new one.

I used to play ARMA2 on reasonably low settings and I was happy with that. I was wondering if you could recommend a decent card that would play similarly to what I used to.

My other specs are:

Win XP 32

Intel Core Duo E7500 2.99GHz

4GB RAM but only 2GB is available in WinXP, which as I said before I am fine with.

As above poster said, I don't mean to push in, answer me whenever.

I'm planning a new gamer system too. After reading a lot here and considering the benchmarks with the Radeons only, i personally come to the following config and would recommend it. Not too expensive and should ensure a good balance of quality and fps:

CPU: Intel Core i5 / AMD 4 cores

GPU: ATI Radeon 5850 / new nVidia 460 (nvidia: no benchmarks yet)

RAM: 4 GB DDR3

What do you think ?

Should be good, get the i5-750 if you plan to overclock, also, dont get a different i5 (the 750 is the only quadcore)

The radeon 5850 is probably the best bang/buck, if you can get your hands on one for a normal price that is.

Hello, i'm new to the forums, and im wondering if I will be able to run arma 2 on my current system at a decent framespeed, graphics quality doesn't really matter atm.

I'll be upgrading my system later on in the year, i just want to know if i can run the game now

my current setup is:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Intel Core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)

ASUS P5K motherboard

4GB 1066 MHz Kingston Ram

ASUS Nvidia 8600GTS

Also i am confused by the 3 digit nvidia naming system, or is it the same as before: less than 5 is low (250), 6 is midrange (260) and > 6 is high

And by all means answer gambla's post first, I am pushing in after all ;)

It should run, the first thing to upgrade is probably the gpu, make sure your psu can handle it. If you want to know how well it runs you can always try the demo. If you want to compare gpu's check the heirarchy chart I posted below and look at some benchmarks to get a feel for how the different rows compare to eachother.

Hi,

My current video card (ECS Nvidia 9500GT) is almost dead and I need to get a new one.

I used to play ARMA2 on reasonably low settings and I was happy with that. I was wondering if you could recommend a decent card that would play similarly to what I used to.

My other specs are:

Win XP 32

Intel Core Duo E7500 2.99GHz

4GB RAM but only 2GB is available in WinXP, which as I said before I am fine with.

As above poster said, I don't mean to push in, answer me whenever.

gpu heirarchy chart

I'd recommend a 5770, I'ts a lot faster then what you have now and will probably run all games for years to come. again make sure your psu can handle it. You should be ok with any psu that has a 6-pin pci-e connector since the 5770 doesn't use much compared to other cards, it's even less than the 4850.

Edited by Leon86

I'd recommend a 5770, I'ts a lot faster then what you have now and will probably run all games for years to come. again make sure your psu can handle it. You should be ok with any psu that has a 6-pin pci-e connector since the 5770 doesn't use much compared to other cards, it's even less than the 4850.

I can second the 5770. I play on mostly high settings with a view distance of 1200 and it gets pretty good performance. 44 fps in benchmark 1. For 180ish it's probably one of the cheapest cards that can max most details in game.

Now I have a question. Would crossfiring my 5770 be benificial in arma? Would the game make use of the extra video memory? This is something I want to eventually do but I'm held back because 1) I am not sure arma would even care and 2) despite reviews I find the card to be quite loud and two would probably force me to turn the volume way up or buy nice headphones.

Yes, thanks Leon. Your right, the availability of these cards is very bad. Like many people here, i wait for the new nvidias cards benchmarks anyway.

Yes, thanks Leon. Your right, the availability of these cards is very bad. Like many people here, i wait for the new nvidias cards benchmarks anyway.

http://www.hardware-infos.com/news.php?news=3476

I was sceptical due to Nvidia's nonsensical PR etc but if the 470 is beating the 5870, then the 480 is more than likely not far behind the 5970.

Again, we don't have any solid numbers for the 480 yet but it looks like it will be very fast and a tessellation monster (over twice as fast as ATI 5xxx series in some cases).

I'll post any more benchmarks I come across :)

Edited by BangTail

Any idea why the min fps is so much higher with the nvidia in the first 3 games?

Any idea why the min fps is so much higher with the nvidia in the first 3 games?

Looks like a simple case of more horsepower. I'm genuinely excited by the 4xx series of Nvidia cards at this point.

ATI would be foolish to claim driver revisions as they have had their cards on the market for over 6 months.

If the 480 (single GPU and as of yet, unreleased) even comes close to the 5970 (which is a dual GPU card), then Nvidia has a major 'coup' on their hands.

Thanks to the likes of Metro 2033, the extra horsepower will be most welcome (especially using DX11 where tessellation is killing the 5xxx series of ATI cards in the aforementioned title).

Edited by BangTail

ive always like nvidia better, i wish i had the patience to wait for these new cards but i went ahead and got the 5970. still, not complainin

bangtail, isnt that a fact of life and technology? yes ati's cards have been out for 6 months so of course these new cards are going to take the cake with bbetter tech. in another 6 months are we going to be amazed that radeon takes the cake again? lets not get biased here, it would be more of a competition if they reslease cards at the same time...

also, what are your thoughts on 2x 5970s and arma? will quadfire give a boost or is the game still struglin with these issued?

Hey guys please help me.

I want to exchange my Nintendo Wii for used desktop computer, and I don't have money to upgrade it.

This comp spec is: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @2.40GHZ (no OC but maybe I can try to change that when I get it), mobo Asus P5KPL-CM, 4 GB ram, Geforce 9800GT 512mb. 600GB HD, Win XP

Can I run ARMA 2 playable in campaign (20-25 FPS)?

Of course normal settings, no high, only view distance set about 2000-3000 m.

Resolution something like 1280x1024 or less (I have old 15' lcd monitor).

This information is important for me, because this is only game that I want to play on PC (maybe Crysis too), so I decide to exchange Wii only for Arma 2 ;)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Hey guys please help me.

I want to exchange my Nintendo Wii for used desktop computer, and I don't have money to upgrade it.

This comp spec is: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @2.40GHZ (no OC but maybe I can try to change that when I get it), mobo Asus P5KPL-CM, 4 GB ram, Geforce 9800GT 512mb. 600GB HD, Win XP

Can I run ARMA 2 playable in campaign (20-25 FPS)?

Of course normal settings, no high, only view distance set about 2000-3000 m.

Resolution something like 1280x1024 or less (I have old 15' lcd monitor).

This information is important for me, because this is only game that I want to play on PC (maybe Crysis too), so I decide to exchange Wii only for Arma 2 ;)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

it should run ok at 1500-2000 meters, the last part of the campain the system will be struggling though. Still, you cant build such a system for the price of a wii, pretty sweet deal.

Thank's Leon for reply.

This is Wii with WiiFit and second remote, and 3 games.

So such great deal this isn't ;)

Taken the plunge to upgrade my cpu/board/RAM into the modern age, gone for: -

Core I3 530 overclocked to 4Ghz

4Gb (2x2Gb) 1600Mhz DDR3

Gigabyte GA-H55M board

Coupled with an GTX260 216 and winxp32 Im hoping it should give some healthy speeds :)

Aiming to be able to run smoothly 1600x1200 with all settings on high/very high and view distance of about 2500.

Any thoughts?

also, what are your thoughts on 2x 5970s and arma? will quadfire give a boost or is the game still struglin with these issued?

2 x 5970 for A2 is a waste of money.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Taken the plunge to upgrade my cpu/board/RAM into the modern age, gone for: -

Core I3 530 overclocked to 4Ghz

4Gb (2x2Gb) 1600Mhz DDR3

Gigabyte GA-H55M board

Coupled with an GTX260 216 and winxp32 Im hoping it should give some healthy speeds :)

Aiming to be able to run smoothly 1600x1200 with all settings on high/very high and view distance of about 2500.

Any thoughts?

You should be fine :)

im buying this comp from my friend and what should i change? here are the specs. w5243 (vista sp2 O.S.) im changing it to windows 7, 320 © GB (12) GB Recover SD, 2.0 RAM (i know i have to get more RAM), AMD Anthlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHZ, nvidia 6100 nforce 405, high def audio device. how well will i run arma 2 and what else should i change?

Looks like an emachines W5243, As it is I would say not very well if at all :(

Based on it being the above machine....

The graphics card is integrated and I would be amazed if it runs at any reasonable framerate as its a geforce6 series, the machine has a pci-e slot so you can upgrade to a dedicated card which will help.

**edit - the motherboard only supports pci-e x8 not the standard x16, its likely to bottleneck any decent card you put in there.**

The cpu is a single core and will really struggle with almost all aspects of arma, as soon as there are any AI you will take a massive dive in fps. It looks like its an AM2 motherboard so you could put a faster dual core processor in there, the faster the better.

You should be ok with the 2 gig ram and arma if you swap to xp, unfortunately you cant put any more in beacuse the board wont take it.

Vista is the slowest OS to run arma2 on, 7 is faster and xp fastest.

For reference I got arma2 about 3 months ago on the following spec: -

A64x2 4400+ @2.5Ghz

3gig DDR

9600GT

winxp

Running at 1024x768 on medium to low I was lucky to get more than 20fps in the campaign, at some points (manhatten FOB in particular) it dropped down below 10 :(

I upgraded the 9600gt to a gtx260 216 and that has allowed me to increase the graphics details to high but its still being bottlenecked by the cpu, I get 20-25 fps now.

Im getting my I3 530 @4Ghz later today so hopefully should see a large hike in fps :)

Arma2 should be reasonably playable on that machine if you put a decent speed dual core cpu in there and a recent graphics card (HD4870/gtx260 or above), I would go to xp though if 7 is too slow.

Im still new to arma2 so I might have some info wrong :o Im basing the above from doing lots and lots of reading and upgrading my own machine to run the game, someone please let me know if Ive given crap info :D

Edited by forteh

so i just have to change the cpu and graphics card and switch to xp or 7? whats a good but cheap graphics card and cpu then?

First off, let me say I just got Arma 2 and am still learning the ropes but I can't believe I never had picked this up before. What a fantastic game! most of my past gaming life has been combat flight sims (BoB2), a couple of racing games and the usual FPS shooters. Arma2 blows them all away in terms of depth and immersion based on my experience so far.

In case anyone is thinking of a new PC build, I finished this latest rig a couple months ago and am getting - I think - very good results with Arma2 and wanted to share the specs.

Hope this is of some use to people thinking of putting a rig together in the near future.

Benchmarks:

With Ace2, running the in-game Benchmark #2 at 1920X1080, 2.5KM draw distance and all graphics options maxed and AA set at high I get 20 FPS avg. Without Ace2 it rises to about 22-23 FPS. Benchmark 1 FPS is 45 w/o Ace2 and 43 with it on. Is this considered "decent" with these particular benchmarks?

In the few single player Arma2 scenarios I've played, FPS are generally at a low of 45 and at or close to 60 maybe 85% of the rest of the time.

FPS are pretty much 95% of the time pegged at 60 in BFBC2; Modern Warfare2, etc. I play with Vsync forced on all the time with my games so I am limited to the 60FPS refresh rate of my monitor with vsync on.

Rig Specs:

Most stuff I got from my usual vendor Neweggg.com which is very reliable and competitive.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - overclocked to 3.8GHZ.

CPU COOLER: Zalman CNPS9900 NT

POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W - incredible review at HardOCP and tremendous user reviews at newegg on this PSU. HardOCP's review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/05/27/corsair_hx850w_power_supply/

CASE: Cooler Master CM 690 NVIDIA edition with five 120MM cooling fans + the PSU's internal fan.

RAM: Corsair Dominator 6 GB (3X2GB each in tri-channel mode) DDR3 1600, 8-8-8-24 CAS latency 8, 1.65V I'm using WinXP its only recognizing 3GB of the RAM but I got this as a package deal at a good price and can use it in future maybe with Win7....

Motherboard: ASROCK X58 Deluxe. Took a little flyer on this MOBO as I've traditionally been an ASUS guy but the features for the price are awesome. Has four PCIe full x16 slots, legacy IDE connectors, etc. etc. With the SLI setup and the i7-920 it will make full use of the x16 capacity on both video cards. Two months on the rig now, with CPU overclocked and its excellent and rock-solid stable.

Graphics: Dual BFG GTX-260 1GB n55 cards in SLI mode (got a great deal on these from a b&M locally brand new in retail boxes).

HDD: 1 terrabyte Western Digital Black Caviar SATA w 32MB cache

AUDIO: While the mobo has on-board 8-channel realtek audio chip, I have really liked my Creative Audiguy 2Zs which I'm keeping from the old rig. I've yet to run the on-board audio solution.

Operating System: Sticking with WinXP32 bit until - maybe - a move to Win7 a couple years down the road.

Other stuff:

- Logitech MX518 mouse

- MSFFB2 joystick

- Track IR 5 with trackclip

- Logitech Z680 5.1 speakers

- Logitech G27 racing wheel

- Westinghouse 42" LCD monitor 1920X1080 @ 60Hz.

Looking forward to getting deep into Arma 2 and my first foray into on-line play. Still have to set up the TS and voice commands which are new to me and think I'll try VAC. Is having the voice coms set up and mastered a "MUST" for casual play on open servers?

Edited by SeaVee

Ok i gonna swap to Arma II to but that in mind that i never uninstal OFP :D and its nices mods, but a little more varriation would be nice :yay:

this is the computer that i gonna have:

a 4 giga processor

a quad core main board

2 g Vram

Nvidea 8800 gtx video card

22 inch screen

dvd burner ofc

new game mouse G5 logitech

nice case and all the goodies

its gonna cost me about 867 euros all in. I gonna have it around end next week if all gows well and i hope i gonna run Arma II well on this baby :yay:

because i tried on a lappy and it went oh no so blurry :p

Maybe a enormous stupid question but as if i always played operation

flashpoint on my laptop :bounce3: with the mods furr 2008 slx version

on it, it worked well altough sometimes it crached on bigger graphics

and lots of effects smoge tracers etc etc

for official updates you needed always to update it to the

former update of ofp before you could instal the latest one.

Do i need previous Arm II updates before installing 1.05 update?

And if i have it and installed it can you point me toward a nice total mod for Arma II so i can have nicer effects at once ^^

thanks in advance

"erhm i guess this went in the wrong forum sorry admins"

Edited by KBourne
posted in the wrong forum

I merged your thread into here as all but one line of it (ie will my PC run this) is what this thread for, as for the patches, yes you can go straight to 1.05, as the readme for 1.05 would tell you it's for all versions of ArmA2 :)

Hello

So after christmas i got a nice mid-high end computed (if but a little dated) with these specs for £550

AMD Phenom X4 9750

RAM 4 GB / 8 GB (max)

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Vista

Unfortunatley after 8 weeks it died, so of it went to pc world and up to this date (over a month) i still ant got it back anyways im gona get vochers back so im looking at spending an exta fifty squid on this specs but i not really computer literate so i dont know if the performance improvement will justifiy spending the exta £50 this is the spec what do you think???

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 810 - 2.6 GHz - 2.0 GHz HT - 512 KB x 4 L2 cache

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

RAM 6 GB

Graphics card ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4850

Screen type None

Hard drive 2 x 750 GB (1.5 TB total)

Size 367 x 441.5 x 180 mm (H x D x W)