Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani and Afghan Village

Sorry but I'm new to adding mods,

I think I get the map addons but where do I place the folders and files for opxbuildings, opxplants, opxroads, opxmisc, and the public key folder?

Thank You in advance for any help

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Modfolders

Since im using most of the user-made maps over the vanilla

ones, I have them all in a folder called @islands and then under that a sub-folder called "addons" and there is where you basiclly put all addons. I used to put it all under Arma/addons

but it IS better to use separate folder and keep that one clean.

You must always have a subfolder called addons. Dont you have any mods? smile_o.gif Right now im only playing with mods, everything from troops, sound, effects and maps, makes Arma superior to anything else.

I'm having TONS of fun with these maps!   The new Afghan village map is a MUST HAVE map for AWESOME CQB combat.  Thrown in a few friendly and enemy tanks and you're in for quite an epic battle.  I'm using these with my mod (the Lost Brothers) and have been playing for hours on them since they came out.  

In one battle me and 8  AI squads of IDF paratroopers assaulted the main village area from two directions along with armored support going down a parallel road.  Rushing through one of the orchards under fire my squad battled our way to a low adobe wall.  I popped up and was able to shoot over the wall for a bit until an Egytian machine gunner started hammering my position forceing me to duck.  A Panzershrek rocket screamed over my head and thudded into his machine gun nest. I then rushed forward with the other soldiers engaging enemy soldiers rapidly with my trusty IMI FN-FAL rifle.  After clearing our main objective (a large compound) we then worked our way down to the village area below where Egyptian reinforcements were pouring in.  

Myself and another paratrooper founded ourselves pinned down by Egyptian soldiers and a T-34 that rolled in from an opposite road to join the fight.   The situation looked bleak as I was seperated from the rest of my squad (my fault for going Rambo) and there were Egyptian soldiers running past my flanks.  I hoped that they wouldn't detect me and the other soldier laying in the prone position.   I hear the approaching sound of armor and treads creaking so I'm thinking, "Crap...those T-34's and BTR-152 halftracks are gonna run us over."  Then suddenly one of the big adobe walls comes crashing down next to me and a M-51 Isherman with an AMX-13 light tank behind come crashing through blasting away at the infantry while the AMX-13 smashed the T-34 with a well placed HEAT round....behind them a bunch of infantry came through....  

The ambush then became a route as reinforcements poured in.  A fierce pitched battle continued where Egyptian soldiers would pop out from out of nowhere in the maze of walls and buildings.  Grenades exploding, tracers flying....      At the end of the battle it REALLY looked like a major battle had taken place with bodies everywhere, smoking wrecks of vehicles, and toppled walls and buildings.  

One of the funniest moments was when I was sniping with a FN-FAL from one of the tall towers.  An Egyptian soldier apparently got fed up with me taking pot shots at him and launched an RPG at the tower.  He missed me but hit the tower and the whole tower fell injuring me a bit in the process.   So kudos for the destructable buildings!

All in all I would rank this as one of the TOP CQB maps and I HIGHLY recommend this map for doing West vs. Middle East insurgent missions if you want highly realistic, chaotic CQB action.   The only downside is that the AI in ArmA DO NOT stick together in squads and instead all go running around Rambo-like after the initial contact with an enemy.   So this map would make for an even more realistic MP map between two opposing teams who understand how to use team work....or at the very least for a CoOp mission.   There are plenty of sweet spots to place snipers and ambushes so I think that mission makers will have a blast with this map (pun intended).  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Glad your Afghan village map made it out, Opteryx - a truly lovely place to fight. biggrin_o.gif

Amen to that (see my above review!wink_o.gif.  Cameron, I can't wait to try your addons out on this map.  Now all we need is for someone to make some good Taliban infantry!!!!  For the love of Allah (or deity or sports star of your choice), please make them Cameron!  If not I'll have to cobble something together and it won't be pretty.  lol

I miss ol' Remo from OFP.  He was a one man addon-making force and the only guy to make an entire Afghanistan pack.

We may not have him here in ArmA, but I know that with some teamwork, a few addonmakers could contribute to such a pack.   The nice thing about the Taliban is that they look pretty much like the Mujahadin who faught the soviets so any Afghan militia can be used for both modern and historic Afghanistan missions. So it would be great for American/European and Russian addon/mission makers.

This Afghan village map is a nice example of what can be done in that genre and shows how much amazing combat action can be had on such a map.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Afghan village is the sickest map ina Arma! It's great. Yesterday we fought on our server and we felt Afghanistan aura over action smile_o.gif Great job Opteryx, really!

The Afghan Village map is really a great map, it has a very natural feeling to it and is great fun to play/fight on.  Along with Avgani I consider it the best maps made for ARMA yet.  smile_o.gif

Glad your Afghan village map made it out, Opteryx - a truly lovely place to fight. biggrin_o.gif

Amen to that (see my above review!wink_o.gif.  Cameron, I can't wait to try your addons out on this map.  Now all we need is for someone to make some good Taliban infantry!!!!  For the love of Allah (or deity or sports star of your choice), please make them Cameron!  If not I'll have to cobble something together and it won't be pretty.  lol

I miss ol' Remo from OFP.  He was a one man addon-making force and the only guy to make an entire Afghanistan pack.

We may not have him here in ArmA, but I know that with some teamwork, a few addonmakers could contribute to such a pack.   The nice thing about the Taliban is that they look pretty much like the Mujahadin who faught the soviets so any Afghan militia can be used for both modern and historic Afghanistan missions.   So it would be great for American/European and Russian addon/mission makers.

This Afghan village map is a nice example of what can be done in that genre and shows how much amazing combat action can be had on such a map.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Maybe you can try with this.... :P

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=825

These 2 maps are fantastic.  The Afghan Village is truely amazing.  Trying to clear some of the Afghan compounds is very daunting and scary.  I've been playing on some servers that use the ACE mod and your maps...outstanding!  There's only one thing though...the constant wind blowing is getting a bit annoying.  Hehe  I guess that's from the ACE mod sound files though.  Wish there was a way to fix that.  Thank you very much Opteryx!

These 2 maps are fantastic.  The Afghan Village is truely amazing.  Trying to clear some of the Afghan compounds is very daunting and scary.  I've been playing on some servers that use the ACE mod and your maps...outstanding!  There's only one thing though...the constant wind blowing is getting a bit annoying.  Hehe  I guess that's from the ACE mod sound files though.  Wish there was a way to fix that.  Thank you very much Opteryx!

Hm must be the elevation, I have a shit sound card/speakers so I don't notice much of anything related to sound... shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I think it's the ACE mod because I don't recall hearing any loud wind noise on any of your maps.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Your right Miles Teg,

It's the ACE mod that does that. I use Chammy's v2 and I don't get that constant wind sound. I should've said that earlier.

Opteryx, your two maps are wonderful and have brought a whole new feel to Arma. I have one query though, the public key packed with the releases does not appear to work with your packaged bisigns.

Our server has sig checking on and I've had to sign the .pbo's myself with our kelly's public key which is a bit of a pain since other public players need to download our bisigns to connect.

I wonder if you could perhaps re-sign your pbo's with your private key and create a new public key from the private key when/if you release a map update and hopefully that will sort the issue out. Many thanks.

Opteryx, your two maps are wonderful and have brought a whole new feel to Arma.  I have one query though, the public key packed with the releases does not appear to work with your packaged bisigns.

Our server has sig checking on and I've had to sign the .pbo's myself with our kelly's public key which is a bit of a pain since other public players need to download our bisigns to connect.  

I wonder if you could perhaps re-sign your pbo's with your private key and create a new public key from the private key when/if you release a map update and hopefully that will sort the issue out. Many thanks.

Glad you told me because I had no idea. I'm going to update both maps in the near future with some more stuff so I guess I could fix this with little effort.

Amazing work. Great atmosphere. notworthy.gif

Opteryx you can sign the files and release new key+bisign pair

even without the pbos.

While not being one package, it would be at least from you as

source instead of every server host signing it himself.

@Jman2704

Are you using a YomaServer already? If not look into it for these

reasons. Makes it very easy for people to sync their addons

with your server.

@Jman2704

Are you using a YomaServer already? If not look into it for these

reasons. Makes it very easy for people to sync their addons

with your server.

we are using Yoma Q...tbh maybe KH was one of the first ones who started using and promoting it  wink_o.gif

Everybody should use Yoma Synchroniser thumbs-up.gif

@Opteryx.

I'd be happy to test a new key and bisigns for the .pbo's if you wanna email them to me before you package them for release. Might save more headaches later wink_o.gif

jman@kellys-heroes.eu

Great maps, my teammates and myself had great time playing on them.

One of my teammate asked me something that I wasn't able to answer with certitude by the way.

Do could you please confirm that your both island are not affected by the Durg's Vegetation Fix at all?

I assume that since you do use custom vegetation, there's no need to use the fix but it's always better to have a confirmation from the author wink_o.gif

Maybe you can try with this.... :P

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=825

Sry for going slightly offtopic but but why the need for further addons, why not put all the nedded addons in one file? Its only 2 files from your misc pack that is needed,

I got an error first until I read what 2 files that were needed for it which I manually transported from misc pack into my "terrorist" addon folder.

Although.........great addon by the way. smile_o.gif

(your not the only ones doing this, I really want to use the new IDF terrorist addon but same case of needing to get extra addons for an addon in the first place. Just put it all into one file thank you!wink_o.gif  

Now I need my coffe.

Anyone have any troubles with flashing textures/LOD in both maps? Its happens sometimes - especially with ground textures - but only in MP games. Its not only my problem but my mates too. We playing with ACE mod.

Sorry for my english.

Regards!

Cooba

This issues seems to happen for any island recently.

From what I can tell its not ACE related either.

Maybe 1.15 or GPU driver / directX.

Opteryx this new Village is just jaw dropping.

I couldn't help but notice how ultrarealistic the grass is. Together with the layout, custom objects and varying level terrain elevations this map is a standing monument of how terrain should be built.

Great stuff. wow_o.gif