Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Pictures of Chernarus are simply breathtaking.

Nothing more to add to that really :inlove:

I contend, for the beauty alone, that Arma 2 is the ultimate walking simulator.. and possiblly driving, and flying sim.. Besides the war thingy.. you know.. I'm going to be virtual back packing across Charnerus for a while.

Can't wait to see how it plays.

Woohoo! I'm loving those walk-in-able buildings I can see in some of those images.

And where do you see thoes? Other then the two barns in the 5th picture, I fail to see any enterable buildings in thoes pictures personally. The train station in the first picture looks like the first floor might be enterable, but the windows on the top floors clearly indicate that part of it is not. And its hard to tell if the clock tower building is enterable or not, but I don't think it is either. Either way, Id say there are far too many none-enterable buildings for a modern day game IMO. The cities look really nice too.... its a shame.

People getting way too worked up over graphics here in my opinion. Visuals will not necessarily make the game more fun to play :)

Indeed, the game does look good. I'm just surprised there's so much hype over the graphics. OFP taught us all that great graphics do not make a great game. :D

While that is most definitely true, great graphics combined with awesome gameplay (we'll have to see) do not hurt one bit. ;)

Besides, that is what is being shown to us at the moment, so people are commenting on the new news.. Images.

When the gameplay emerges, I'm sure the topic of discussion will follow.

The release date is still to be determined. But, so far, it still looks like there's the possibility of it on the Xbox 360.

@Victor

Zipper5 did probably answer to the question of _Jarhead_ who asked about Releasedate for XBOX and not PC.

@Victor

Zipper5 did probably answer to the question of _Jarhead_ who asked about Releasedate for XBOX and not PC.

Ohh my bad. Yea I got ya. I shoulda followed their convo, :rolleyes:

So what's after this? It seems that they've told us as much about the game as I can think of. So will there be beta tester gamplay videos now? That would be exciting! It would also be helpful, since we could help by pointing out bugs that we notice.

lol imagine if you somehow climb to the top of that tower and use it as a sniper point:D

hmmm, how about a parachute contest?

Whow can land on it.:butbut:

Arma1 too has great graphics, it's all about the settings. You can almost get Arma2 quality with everything maxed.

Arma1 too has great graphics, it's all about the settings. You can almost get Arma2 quality with everything maxed.

I play it on max settings and I definitely disagree with you

I hate to destroy any dreams here but most probably the water surfaces are not much different than that "pond object" we already have in ArmA. This object is static and it doesn't float.

So most probably the dam won't be destroyable and even if it is, there will no water floating anywhere - it's simply not possible.

Yeah that's hard but it's better to realize that now than you are full of expectations and when A2 has been released you end up disappointed.

It is clear that we will not have floating water, but the consequences are to odd: A dam, what a strategical target, BUT indestructible since floating water is not supported.

Will it be possible to make the impression of a river by creating a water surface not horizontal, rather like a slope and without wave effect?

That would be already good enough for me.

With that, you still cannot really simulate the break of a dam, but at least you have rivers with their strategical and tactical implications.

A dam, what a strategical target, BUT indestructible since floating water is not supported.

Destroying a dam would probably cause too much collateral damage for NATO to target. Most hydroelectric dams have a sub station, which if destroyed would cause damage to the enemies infrastructure. Just blow up the transformers. :)

On topic: I haven't seen anymore footage or coverage about trains, does anyone have any information about this? Did BIS confirm?

On topic: I haven't seen anymore footage or coverage about trains, does anyone have any information about this? Did BIS confirm?
Actually, he said it during the german community preview session that was hold in munich.

As Scrub said, its meaning is pretty much that "they did a bit of spoofing with the train passing through the NAPA vid".

Source (in German ofc)

Edit: The full quote says that he also wanted to "test" the reaction of the community with it. I guess people that would love trains can still cling to that from now on. ;)

:butbut:

anyone have any information about this? Did BIS confirm?

The only info I could dig up is this:

Auf dem NAPA Video ist ein Zug in Vorbeifahrt erkennbar. BIS hatte jedoch angekündigt, dass diese lediglich statisch sein sollten. Bedeutet das einen Meinungswechsel oder war das lediglich für das Video "geschummelt"?

Der Zug ist statisch und wurde für das Video per Skript bewegt. Man kann auf den Zug klettern, eine Zugsimulation mit Fahrplänen und Haltepunkten wird es aber nicht geben.

(source)

Translation:

In the NAPA video a moving train can be seen, even though BIS has stated that the trains will be static. Does this mean they have changed their minds, or was the train movement in the video "faked"?

The train is indeed static and was animated via script for the video. You can climb onto the train cars, but there will not be a full train simulation with trains moving between stations.

Thanks for the translation MadDogX. Ah well, I didn't really expect there to be one. Seems too difficult and impractical to spend lots of time on doing in the RealVirtuality engine.

In the NAPA video a moving train can be seen, even though BIS has stated that the trains will be static. Does this mean they have changed their minds, or was the train movement in the video "faked"?

The train is indeed static and was animated via script for the video. You can climb onto the train cars, but there will not be a full train simulation with trains moving between stations.

wtf? :mad:

"Uh yea we put it in the trailer just to have a laugh at the studio and make these people think we actually included it muahahaha"

Meh, I wish they didn't put my hopes up. I knew it was too good to be true anyway.. Did they at least incorperate some things that would make it easier to mod them in?

Thanks for the translation though Mad.

Edited by Victor

It would seem strange that they wouldnt have moving trains, especially considering that there were some good ones modded into OFP. I can't imagine it would be too difficult.

To the layman's imagination, everything in programming is easy.

Trains should be easy, but the alignment wheels/track would look pretty odd, sometimes the wheel dish would be outside of the rail. I do not know if BIS scripting allows to simulate a vehicle on a path with a tolerance of less then 1 virtual cm. If possible, it is just a question of "which modder will do the first train".

To the layman's imagination, everything in programming is easy.

I said that on the basis that if someone was able to mod it into Flashpoint all those years ago, it probably would be easy enough for BIS to do it.