Sign in to follow this  
Farks

Believability in the missions

BIS should do a WW2 game after arma 2 biggrin_o.gif would be awesome. I knw there is a lot of them out there but not on this scale

I always thought that would be a good idea. I think the market is saturated with WWII games but as you said none of them have this scale.

They could improve aircraft handeling more too because they don't have to worry about helicopters so they can focus their time on other things. Although allowing helicopters to be in it would not be a bad idea since someone would want to mod them in for something.

EDIT: And uh... yes the missions need to be more believable...

Really excited about the coop campaign, be interesting to see how they tackle telling a story from multiple players points of view, notoriously hard to get right in gaming anyway, but with such a huge game with huge number of possible player decisions... well...

Loved the resistance campaign, the CWC... was so, so, and Arma campaign + QG were a joke tbh.

I really hope they hired some 'real' writing and acting talent for this one... oh and some superior translators!

Also can't wait to see how they work the 'winning hearts and minds' side of the mission, as It seems to me that's the clincher in most conflicts.

as an aside; I think promoting 'heroism' amongst players with the team rescue feature is a great move on BIS's part.

My fav campaign is the original CWC. Because it had the most realism in it's missions. There were only a handful of missions in Rambo style, but they still made sense. But for the most part you were working togheter with at least one squad, which added at least as much to the military and realism atmosphere as the weapons, vehicles, etc.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I got into shooters was because of what you could do in the old Ghost Recon games.

I'd love for Arma to have an Alpha and Bravo squads with 4 people in each. You could command them to flank enemies or set them up to be snipers to watch your back or find out about enemies ahead.

If a 2002 PS2 game could do it, I'd think a 2009 Xbox 360/PS3/PC game could do it 100x better

For me its a bit of a letdown that the campaign will be played as special forces characters. Nothing beats being a grunt in the big picture.

I hope we can at least get some more believable special forces missions than the usual "take out 4 tanks and wipe out this city" approach of Arma.

Theres plenty of sources on how real life operations has gone down, just try to replicate parts of it smile_o.gif

I agree. This was major point of OFP and i think i haven't read single review about it which would not mention this. Illusion of being small wheel in big machine. And life outside combat (or leading into combat) was showed in some degree.

SF missions are just at their base pretty "dull". Keeping low profile, playing "cowardly". I'm not that type of player who likes to keep low profile in games. Using several hours (maybe even days) just to make sure my few minutes lasting raid goes well (or not)... Not my idea of casual fun. Same problem with realistic combat, which with their lulls and flashpoints can take hours. Of course this usually is outside shooter's scope, as shooters happens in small unit level and throws player directly at the breaking point of battle.

It's fun sometimes, but when there is real life with it's schedules and demands outside, time consuming game play becomes problematic.

SF missions are so run of the mill and expected in every damn game that they are not special.

OFP and Resistance both made me feel like a small player very vulnerable and having to think to survive which was unique. very immersive.

maybe 'team razor' will be an engaging experience as simply well trained soldiers doing skilled jobs. not being the uber or cool kick ass guys - but with a name like team razor it does sound very rambo-ish.

BIS should do a WW2 game after arma 2 biggrin_o.gif would be awesome. I knw there is a lot of them out there but not on this scale

Agreed. I also think WW2 fits the limited game-engine better than modern warfare.

That could be a idea for a expansion pack, one that people would actually want to buy. Are you listening BI? tounge2.gif

For me its a bit of a letdown that the campaign will be played as special forces characters. Nothing beats being a grunt in the big picture.

I hope we can at least get some more believable special forces missions than the usual "take out 4 tanks and wipe out this city" approach of Arma.

Theres plenty of sources on how real life operations has gone down, just try to replicate parts of it smile_o.gif

Anyway, we still have the campaigns from people like Rejn, Otk  group, UgolSkosa and other so called amateurs whose content by far beats any official campaign. Thank god for the community.

I do believe that at some point or another, players will be able to go into 'high command' and sending around entire infantry platoons. So that would put you right there next to them, as well.

I agree that when i first heard 'your gonna play a 4man SF team' all i thought was 'oh fuck no', because i never liked the SF missions in ArmA OR OFP. I love the basic grunt that David Armstrong was, putting you in 'the suck'.

But at least that high-command thing sounds promising.

My opinion is that the best of the BI games was Operation Flashpoint. It's bit older, haven't got graphics like modern games, but thats why i like it. Every tree looks like photo (just forget the squares on it), has different colors. If you see the same green on every tree or bush like on Nogova (Resistance...), the realism is dead. Flashpoint has good atmosphere because of the photorealistic environment. Missions there are like film. I love CWC campaning, i have played it maybe for 43 times. Just love it, you are the part of war, sitting in camp, talking to buddies and after then you lose them in battle. And it's like real war, you are a soldier in infantry and don't know anything else! You don't know your enemy, only listening to orders. It's like a film story, because you dont know anything on the beginning and after then you are exploring everything. In Armed Assault you know the situation on the beginning, you are in high positions so you know all the tactics, you dont need any orders, just to conqueror your land back. Very boooring, i played it in three days because it want to know the end - but it wasnt so good as i expected. Only shooting, you cant create a relationship with your ingame friends. Just like some RTS - you make ten soldiers and destroy enemy tank instead of REALISM - you are affraid of destroying enemy tank, you dont know it to the moment, when you see it. So think about it, maybe it will be great to remake CWC campaning to ArmA2.

I do believe that at some point or another, players will be able to go into 'high command' and sending around entire infantry platoons. So that would put you right there next to them, as well.

I agree that when i first heard 'your gonna play a 4man SF team' all i thought was 'oh fuck no', because i never liked the SF missions in ArmA OR OFP. I love the basic grunt that David Armstrong was, putting you in 'the suck'.

But at least that high-command thing sounds promising.

This is just my memory talking, but i believe that Suma mentioned that ArmA2's campaign will probably focus on squad and smaller scale. Or then he just spoke of not improving existing "supersquad" feature. Well that is like one year ago, so plans might have changed.

Quote[/b] ]Missions there are like film. I love CWC campaning, i have played it maybe for 43 times. Just love it, you are the part of war, sitting in camp, talking to buddies and after then you lose them in battle. And it's like real war, you are a soldier in infantry and don't know anything else! You don't know your enemy, only listening to orders. It's like a film story, because you dont know anything on the beginning and after then you are exploring everything.

100% True!

It is/was simply an amazing feeling when you play OFP1 campaign for the first time... it was really like a awesome interactive Movie!

I remember it as if it was yesterday - it totally took my breath away...

Quote[/b] ]So think about it, maybe it will be great to remake CWC campaning to ArmA2.

It will be remade by the great guys from the "CWR-Mod" Team.

maybe even for Arma1 already, who kows...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CWR

Hi all

The only one who will ever come up to my expectations for my perfect mission is me, and even I do not succeed 99% of the time, so you, who ever you are, have no chance.

If you want perfect missions:

MAKE THEM YOURSELF!

BIS gave you an editor, that is what it is for.

Kind Regards walker

It's not like you can't mod the hell out of many other games too, that is no excuse for them to ship with piss-poor content. Not everyone is a huge nerd and can make good missions.

And no one asked for perfect missions, just better than complete bollocks.

Hi all

The only one who will ever come up to my expectations for my perfect mission is me, and even I do not succeed 99% of the time, so you, who ever you are, have no chance.

If you want perfect missions:

MAKE THEM YOURSELF!

BIS gave you an editor, that is what it is for.

Kind Regards walker

Some of us after 8hrs. of work (some cases hard work) we just want to pick a mission, draw a tactic with our clanmates and then play. This is other simple point BIS shoulf adress...like putting the character slot picking first after the briefing... crazy_o.gif

If decent maps are something we should pay for...please set the price...my balls ve gone black of beta tereta testing.... GIVE US OFFICIAL MAPS INSTEAD OF A ....(ull soon learn to program young jediiiiii).

I would really love an option that would double the number of troops on your side throughout the campaign. No longer would I have to kill 20 enemies on some missions. Instead I could try to play the whole campaign without ever having to reload (ie. Iron man). That would be an immersive challenge. It would also have plenty of replayability, as greater caution would lead to seeing less of each mission per playthrough.

Imho its more immersive and believable if the player is more responsible for his actions and orders.

Avimimus isnt it called cheating and own pownage if the player is able to get everytime and everywhere new troops, weapons, ammo and other support options? whistle.gif

One of my favourite missions in OFP:CWC was Hind Attack? (not sure about the name), it was a special forces mission where you had to take a team and destroy a number of Hinds on the ground.

The area was huge and they weren’t just marked out on the map you had to find them. I found it really atmospheric as there was plenty of activity all around with towns, patrols, camps etc. It took me a long time to do it, I remember playing to so long i didn’t finish it until dawn.

I think it’s a good template for the types of special forces missions I would like to see.

pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]Marek Spanel: I think the most important thing in ArmA 2 is how much effort we put into the story. We re-did the story three times until it felt right to us, until it felt entertaining and exciting and deep, etcetera. The story of the first ArmA was really quickly cooked up - it wasn't something we had enough time to prepare. This was more like the original Operation Flashpoint, where we underwent the process of having a story, figuring out it wasn't perfect and then going through taking the bad things out and letting the good things remain. We hope that the story will be a much stronger asset this time.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/arma_2/preview-1389.html

Illusion of being small wheel in big machine. And life outside combat (or leading into combat) was showed in some degree.

i loved in CWC that you played a small part in a big war, hopefully in ArmA 2, you play as the general making out the battle-plans before the attack and then you carry them out

like have an objective, and some resources (manpower, vehicles etc) and u build out the plan, alocate the resources for the mission, and carry out the plan, also having mission where you get no time to prepare would be great too,

to make matters worse, and more complicated, if you send out your entire manpower out you leave your base to be ungaurded which holds your ammo etc. If you like that SP type missions you could allocate one soldier for the mission and be that soldier,

Hi, beliveability in missions for me, means... that before the situation

turns into an open war, you send observation/recon teams to first

identify and evaluate the possible objectives and OPFOR or just

possible hostile forces number and capabilities; take a lot of photos

of defense/attack systems, infantry complexes and equipment, their

training/living facilityes and also (ovbiously) their communications

systems, dishes etc. Which means months of "inteligence" work and

observation, this also means to not kill anyone and remain unnoticed;

and then gradually begin to scalate the thing up until the open war

becomes the only chance. And before this, you place your forces

close to the area where you gonna launch operations even if it's

just to scare the OPFOR and not only to get faster with all the

possible fire power; and then... at that point... the recon teams

sabotage some things like infrastructures in the ground while they

aim the bombs for the aircrafts at those hours that you haven't

sat coverage, so you should spent a very long time without kill

a single OPFOR soldier.

As grunt... the missions will be (should be) "massive", as you don't

go just with 3 squads deep into the enemy territory; you move as

part of an armed arm. Which means that the cavalry goes ahead

of you and at your sides while you're in the middle with the APC's

and the rest of the on foot units, so only if the thing goes really bad,

you'll feel alone in the battlefield; you'll have a wide range of covert

by pushing a buton (aka damn field radio/com-tacts). Any other

than all this, it's unbelible for a modern war with a half developed

country. Even a guerrilla without half or more than the 70% of

all this "goods" spents a lot of time observing the objectives and

getting intel-data before even release the safe of the weapons.

The war have it's way, and this is it; if you want to win. Let's C ya