Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

ArmA2 - The Xbox 360 thread

If I have a choice between PC ArmA2 and 360 ArmA2 I'll go for the 360 version every time, I don't play games on my PC any more.

Sadly...I am slowly taking same road. I think it's mainly because there are less good games released on PC platform (Thanks to devs who don't believe in PC anymore, of course your anti-PC chatter will influence negatively) I am leaning towards consoles just because it has more game libraries providen each year.

I think there's more new good games than ever on the PC. I don't have exact numbers to back this up but I'm pretty sure release rate of big titles on the PC has not greatly dropped in last 10 years. And most multi-platform games look and play tons better on the PC and are cheaper, also there's a lot of PC exclusive games which unlike most console exclusives aren't totally lame like Halo3 or MGS4 but cool first person shooters, all kinds of simulators, RTSes, RPGs, MMOs and indie titles which simply wouldn't even work on a 6 button game pad or whatever </rant>

plus and minus points on both formats, its quite a hard to decide which one to go for to be honest as the PC is great for modding the game, althought the problem with pcs is the amount of upgrades which can be costly! Also driver issues are a nightmare due to amount of different systems you can build!

I do enjoy the stress free idea of inserting arma2 into my xbox and playing without the need to change settings or being concerned that its not running as good as it could be due to my shite graphics card!

I may have to get it for both systems biggrin_o.gif

If I have a choice between PC ArmA2 and 360 ArmA2 I'll go for the 360 version every time, I don't play games on my PC any more.

Lol.

Anyway, i have NOTHING against pc gaming, but for me it is a thing of the past. Too much effort, time, wizzardy and cash has to go in, which a.o leaves less time for actual gaming

(anyway, i use my pc for making music ... brilliant, so again, i have nothing against multi funtional pc's)

And if ArmA2 is pc exclusive i will admit i will bit a bit sad and jealous. As for Killzone2, exclusive on PS3 ... yeah a faint feeling of 'jealousy' is being felt by me:)

Yeah, i'm a gamer, i like (good) games but i limit myself to XBOX 360 due to several circumstances ... so in the end ArmA2 has to come to me/360, cause i won't/can't go ArmA2/PC.

The only problem with PC's are the high prices involved.

Other arguments like having to sit at a desk are ridiculous.

If you are even a bit of a hardcore gamer, which I'm pretty much sure I am even though I don't spend much time gaming, PC is the way to go.

I'm currently saving up for a homebuilt Media Center - Game computer combination.

It's a computer you hook up to your HDMI and True HD-capable (or even higher resolution) television set.

You can lay down on your bed on hang in the couch and control the game with either a Phantom lapboard or a wireless keyboard/mouse kit.

The computer will have ultrafast SAS2 harddisks and a single SAS(2) SSD disk to drop a boot up and application prefetch, cache dump and a page file on.

This way your computer boots up in 2-3 seconds, loads games in a matter of seconds and you can directly access your media.

Computers will get more affordable in the near future (2010-2012) because all technologies will be combined in to a smaller, cheaper and more efficient package.

Hopefully the days of expensive LCD and plasma screens will end aswell with the more advanced and cheaper to manufacture OLED screens on the rise.

The computer will have ultrafast SAS2 harddisks and a single SAS(2) SSD disk to drop a boot up and application prefetch, cache dump and a page file on.

Are you sure about the 'prefetch'?

Are you sure about the 'prefetch'?

Sure, why not?

It works brilliantly for office applications and creation software like CS4 Master collection.

For games it has almost no effect though.

Don't know if it has any benefits for SSDs though.

And the data flow is offloaded to the SAS controller which has it's own processor.

If it doesn't work, you still can put temporary files, cache dump, page files and boot up buffer there.

Even sleep mode cache can be stored there for fast wake boot ups.

i have a 360 and im dieing to get arma 2 on it. not because its on a consol no, its because i cant afford a computer that will run arma 2 not even arma. so in the mean time im still playing ofp 1.46 (cause i cant find anything higher)

i have a 360 and im dieing to get arma 2 on it. not because its on a consol no, its because i cant afford a computer that will run arma 2 not even arma. so in the mean time im still playing ofp 1.46 (cause i cant find anything higher)

You can get Operation Flashpoint: GOTY (all expansion packs included) at www.gog.com for 10 dollars.

Also, ~200 dollar second hand computers should be able to play Armed Assault these days.

EDIT: Operation Flashpoint GOTY is currently not available from gog.com due to licencing issues. But they said it will be back sometime.

I guess it's because BIS doesn't get it's well-deserved (they developed it after all) share.

Hmm, are you saying something without saying something?

Because you will be playing arma2, right?

ricogs400 what a good catch with see that statement that placebo made.

Quote (Placebo @ Feb. 01 2009,00:20)

If I have a choice between PC ArmA2 and 360 ArmA2 I'll go

Yo MR. Placebo was that a hint for us. You must throw us a bone here we are all going nuts. Will it or will not be on the 360 that is the question sir!

AVIBIRD 1

when playing this game keep chuck norris home!

if they make the game, they will play!

the truth is out there, if you look!

He said there is "nothing to tell" just a day before that. BIS is still saying To Be Determined.

Common sense says that there will not be a X360 version soon. Maybe later.

Hello

I wanted to say i really hope this game comes out from the xbox 360 , some issues i guess with microsoft as any game needs to have some kind of deal contract or license with microsoft before a game is released for the console , in addition to that also codemasters are making a game of the same type so it could be down to PR and marketing within the publishers and between microsoft , you know that people can and will try to stop you when it comes down to money ,i hope this is not the case...

I have also been reading about dumbed down game on the xbox 360 which is so stupid to use that term dumbed down as the game will still run on the 360, people will play the game and the xbox 360 is not the same as the pc ,

anybody who wants this game for pc only are or have

1.  greedy and don't care much about other gamers enjoyment

2.  don't really care about the company making the game

3.  have a really good pc to play arma 2

I can list a few more but i will leave it at that ...

All the reason to release for the xbox 360  

it is one system with no upgrades needed so any and everybody can play on the many millions of consoles in this world ,

i can sit on the sofa or lay in my bed while playing ,

i don't need a pc to play ( i have a pc and hate sitting on a stupid chair for hours),

many people will buy this game just because they have been told it is good and see others playing ,

not having to learn all the key strokes for the keyboard (),

xbox 360 sales will be good maybe not great , good is better than bad,

gamers will get the same enjoyment from the xbox version as gamers do from the pc version ..

The only fault if released for the 360

Is there should be some kind of single player mission where you don't have to control a whole squad ,

my friend brought the game operation flashpoint for the xbox because i asked him too and he went mad because he was a gamer who just liked to jump into a game and play

the control system was very confusing for him i just thought of this because of sales , maybe 5 solo player missions( extra training mission) where the gamer plays by himself and has no squad this will make the game more interesting for beginners and get them more involved ,

it took me some time to get to grips with controlling a squad on operation flashpoint for the xbox but i did it......

He said there is "nothing to tell" just a day before that. BIS is still saying To Be Determined.

Common sense says that there will not be a X360 version soon. Maybe later.

But another 'common sense' tells us that game devs could earn some money when producing a console version.

Now, it is up to BIS to decide if they want to go that route. I don't know how many copies Arma2/360 could sell, but my guess is it could be in the multiple 100k's, say 300k for starters ... is that enough???

Anyway, there are other 'sim' projects on 360 ... Coming very soon is RacePro of SimBin (another will be IL2-sturmovics:BirdsOfPrey) ... to be seen if those will sell, but it could hint at the possibility of a console market for real SIMS

Now, a true pc fan will NEVER admit that such is possible so the devs have to go ahead themselves and try it.

I'm buying RacePro, i'm buying IL2:BOP, i'm buying OFP2, i'm buying GroundBranch, heck even SkyGods if on 360 and i'm buying Arma2/360 ... simple really, if only the devs will supply me with those games on 360.

If you count me as a 'market' ... yes there IS a market:)

BIS has already stated their interest in releasing ArmA2 for a console a long, long time ago. What's your point?

I'm just saying that I don't see in-game videos of a console port or an official annoucement of one being made for a certain console. Nor will Placebo, Maruk, Ondrej or anyone confirm that an Xbox 360 version will definately be released when you guys repeatedly ask them about it. Clearly, there still is uncertainty over the matter. A console release doesn't seem imminent.

I wrote these concerns on another thread, but to me these are some big questions that the console/PC combo brings:

- The same content won't work very well on consoles and PCs. (keyboard+mouse vs. gamepad)

- Select a middle lane and you end up with a result which does not work well on either platform

- What has MS to say about third party mods on XBOX360? I guess it is definately a no go.

EDIT: Or in other words - is console audience ready for simulation gaming after run and gun games, where you can heal yourself by ducking into cover for a while or with almost endless medical supplies.

Arma 2 port to 360 the same as they did with operation flashpoint for the xbox is enough , i mean to be able to edit your own missions and play with friends, team work , conversations , communication , planning and the graphics are lovely,

what the game is about "gameplay" .

I don't mind paying for DLC  ,  (we don't need mods) just bug fixes and a update in 6 months to a years time with extra content (best of the mods for 8 pounds or so) but most of all a game that works on the xbox 360,

i  like how everyone looks at things from there own point of view and not the game or business projection,

i guess this is normal .....

Xbox 360 and Ps3 are game consoles true plug and play ,

keyboard mouse v joypad is like saying 150 pounds  v 500 pounds or more , some like to walk and some like to run , maybe or maybe not ,

my point is if you don't like the 360 version then don't play it ..

The point is that a realism oriented game is not lost in the console world. You are making a generalization about all console gamers that isn't true IMO

http://www.metacritic.com/games....shpoint

That's not a very successful score. Usually under 80 means not worth of bothering. Funny how there are some who give very high scores and others just about 0.

Hmmm applying this logic  http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/armedassault ... Aiii

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/armaqueensgambit ... it is getting worse?

Ah wait, this is what i've got to get http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/callofduty4modernwarfare

(anyway, i've got both Elite and COD:MW and lots of other games on my xbox and 360)

This just in folks! Operation Flashpoint CWC (score 85), Red Hammer (84) and Resistance (77) All Officially Better Than ArmA (74) or QG (67), Not To Mention Elite (64) smile_o.gif

It's a very polarizing genre but still you can see they're doing something wrong over the years. Especially if you look at user score which is bloody excellent 9.3-9.4 for OFP, 7.0 for Elite, 8.1 for ArmA and a pathetic 5.0 for QG. For reference, COD4MW user score is 8.7.

Here's hoping ArmA2 won't continue the decline. But it probably will because it's not gonna be that innovative compared to what OFP was nor will it have the level of polish like a run of the mill shooter such as COD4 confused_o.gif

What does CoD4:MW tell us: Great GFX/sound, solid online, fluid controls ... that package sells. Mind you, i'm NOT a big COD4:MW fan (too arcade/fast) but i still can see the quality of the game.

You can see what OFP2 tries (i say TRIES) to do ... namely have stunning gfx. Stunning gfx alone won't make a good game, but it WILL make ppl turn their head and take notice.

ArmA2 gfx/action at least has to qualify as 'good' in reviews. The Elite experience taught us that sub-par gfx is killing (every review mentiones the sub-par gfx, and ppl just getting their hands on new shiny 360 just skipped Elite)

Well i hope they will put it the xbox360, i won't buying it on pc since its to weak and found the controller more enjoyable.

I really really hope it will be released the same day as the pc version as i don't want to wait another 6 months.

Also another thing i hope for console version is that they will have Warfare. inlove.gif