Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

GC 2008 Press Coverage

so instead of a squad/platoon based fps we got a rts confused_o.gif

or you could just make a map where you only command a platoon. That would work. Just because you can watch whats happening and command on the map doesn't make it an rts. Just give yourself a platoon of men and command them.

I don't get why people are upset by this it is an improvement over OFP and ArmA. If you don't want to command that many men then don't.

I applaud BIS for putting in this kind of High Command. It will give the CoC guys a break anyway tounge2.gif

Hope that wasn't the Arma2 soundtrack guys at the end  wow_o.gif

I don't get why people are upset by this it is an improvement over OFP and ArmA. If you don't want to command that many men then don't.

I do. BIS bashing is common sense since the ArmA release. Even if there is something that has been improved or introduced someone will come up and complain about it, and be it just for the heck of it.

That's the community nowadays, sad but true. sad_o.gif

so instead of a squad/platoon based fps we got a rts confused_o.gif

or you could just make a map where you only command a platoon. That would work. Just because you can watch whats happening and command on the map doesn't make it an rts. Just give yourself a platoon of men and command them.

not that i say its bad but what i really want is the little man icon at the bottom of my screen can be sort better(ie. when you order them as green team they get sort under the team leader, just like when they get into operating post of combat vehicals, instead of single unit with little green square under their icon) and can use their own formation instead of a line of 36 soldiers, the thing we have now is just...........unfinish confused_o.gif

"There is something really new: with only a few code it is possible to activate the civilian- and wildlife. After that you can find people in villages of Chernaurus, which flew of conflict zones or they do have a daily cycle. They drive, talk to each other or go into their houses at evening."

Wow! I was hoping for this! Thank god the Civilians won't walk around at night like in the day.

It has already been said, that every member of team razor has to survive, if one dies you have to restart the mission, or load a save.

It would have been better if they did this in Queens Gambit.

I didn't like the new video, did not show anything really of interest.

The campaign is not an “On Going War†with its automatic generated mission as we were told in the past. Considering that BIS wants to tell a story with the protagonist of the razor team, it is not that very dynamic, but more interesting how the story of the conflict grows up.

Ok, so its official... BIS has given up on every single thing that made Game2 sound so great. To say they removed the dynamic campagin because they wanted to tell a story is the funniest thing I have ever heard as you can still tell a story mixed in with dynamic missions... or, just do both. But lets not forget, ArmA2 was suppose to be about NEW gameplay. Not the old story mode of past games.

Why don't you make a completely dynamic campaign instead? I'm sure you would get famous within the community.

Besides that, how can you tell that BIS has given up every single bit Game2 made so great. You must know a lot of details from both Game2 and ArmA2 then, more then we know in fact.

And also, c'mon and don't act like BIS would be the first company that changes plans partly or in whole over the years.

I hate this kind of logic. If your surgeon fucked up would you happy be with his assistant telling him "I'd like to see you do a better job."

Seriously icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd rather have a really well done story driven campaign (as long as it's open ended of course in the missions themselves ala OFP which it will be doubtless) honestly but the point remains.

The campaign is not an “On Going War†with its automatic generated mission as we were told in the past. Considering that BIS wants to tell a story with the protagonist of the razor team, it is not that very dynamic, but more interesting how the story of the conflict grows up.

Ok, so its official... BIS has given up on every single thing that made Game2 sound so great. To say they removed the dynamic campagin because they wanted to tell a story is the funniest thing I have ever heard as you can still tell a story mixed in with dynamic missions... or, just do both. But lets not forget, ArmA2 was suppose to be about NEW gameplay. Not the old story mode of past games.

Why don't you make a completely dynamic campaign instead? I'm sure you would get famous within the community.

Besides that, how can you tell that BIS has given up every single bit Game2 made so great. You must know a lot of details from both Game2 and ArmA2 then, more then we know in fact.

And also, c'mon and don't act like BIS would be the first company that changes plans partly or in whole over the years.

I hate this kind of logic. If your surgeon fucked up would you happy be with his assistant telling him "I'd like to see you do a better job."

Seriously  icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd rather have a really well done story driven campaign (as long as it's open ended of course in the missions themselves ala OFP which it will be doubtless) honestly but the point remains.

so saying "how hard can it be" but not acturally not working on the subject is the correct way to do things? confused_o.gif

I do. BIS bashing is common sense since the ArmA release. Even if there is something that has been improved or introduced someone will come up and complain about it, and be it just for the heck of it.

That's the community nowadays, sad but true.  sad_o.gif

Or perhaps some people are just not happy with the product and want to give their feedback? You might be happy with BIS releaseing mods for OFP and calling them new games several years after OFP actually came out... but that dosn't mean everyones going to like it. People tend to expect game engines to make big improvements (graphics don't count) over a span of seven years constant development...

Its not BIS bashing, just expressing displeasement with the lack of development. Lets also not forget, BIS brings allot of this on themselfs... Not to keep bringing it up, but BIS did promis allot of great things for this game, and built expectations to a very high level. Then for two years said absolutly nothing about it, and are only now three years later they are finally telling everyone that all the cool stuff that was promoteing and all they things they hyped, have been scraped, and replaced with more or less a clone version of ArmA, which was a clone of OFP. And quoteing Marek Spanel for the August 2005 PCGamer article.....

"We don't want to make a game that's a clone. We have a vision for a game we want to do, that is diffrent..."

But yet, here we are. So you can call it BIS bashing all you want... but they have brought allot of grief on themselfs. At the very least they could have done what most developers do, and kept teh community in the loop as they made development decisions to scrap features they had spent time hyping.

And your "Why don't YOU do it" comment was laughable. Why the hell say it to me? Im not the "game developer" that went out and hyped the whole dynamic campaign (three of them actually). Im not the one who made all these claims and hyped all these features that no longer are in ArmA2. And any retard can read the original magazine articles and the new ArmA2 info and clearly see almost everything from thoes old articles has been confirmed as NOT being in the game now. So no, I don't know more then you about the features of the game... I just actually pay attention to what I read, and can add 2 + 2.

I can't disagree with the above statement. They pulled an Electronic Arts on it. They could of just said they were scraping features, and that ArmA 1 was a filler game.

goodnight.gif

that ArmA 1 was a filler game.

Thats what BI said it was! afaik smile_o.gif

On an attempt to re-direct the thread back on topic... will we see anymore videos? How long is GC 2008 anyway?

That's a good question. Is there a decent movie showing the AI? And why it seems to be worse than the AI from the old cqb vids?

Too bad the higher command system isn't "ingame", just like the base construction mode in Warfare... I'd love that. It makes everything a lot more intuitive, sort of World in Conflict but where you can actually jump into any soldier if you wish too.

Just speaking for myself, more RTS isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't mean "less FPS". RTS games have been polishing their interface and command systems over the years to make it very easy to manipulate dozens or hundreds of units with just a few mouse clicks, so why not get inspiration from that ?

As long as it's not forced down through your throat and you can still play a grunt with you 4 buddies through the old command system, it would be a nice addition. The logical extension of Warfare mode where the team commander could play in RTS mode, while other people play in first person.

Off course you'd have to implement some sort of "fog of war" where you only see the enemies on the 3D map that your soldiers are able to see on the field (with the knowledge level already used by the AI).

It looks like the higher command look alot like Chain of Command Command Engine. (CEX). Which is good. I think. Combine it with CoC Arty and it will be a blast making mission at company level. Guess an RTS element is not that bad after all. Had fun playing shrapnelgames Air Assault Task Force and wish I could be on the ground as grunts. Guess now I can with ARMA/ARMA2

Quote[/b] ]Distant textures still outwashed and blurry... so far nothing to get exited about.
Oh yes...

It's a typical OFP/ArmA Problem and I think BIS can't change that at release. In 2009 this outwashed megatextures.. damn.

But it's not the one and only Problem  whistle.gif AI, and other "small" things..

But Im looking forward, it's just WIP. I hope BIS can do better work because I don't call this Game (that I saw) @ this stadium as ArmA 2...  sad_o.gif

@BIS MMWIP - much more work in progress biggrin_o.gif

But I heard from armabase that the teamcontroll is the best that they saw in a game. smile_o.gif

Or perhaps some people are just not happy with the product and want to give their feedback? You might be happy with BIS releaseing mods for OFP and calling them new games several years after OFP actually came out... but that dosn't mean everyones going to like it. People tend to expect game engines to make big improvements (graphics don't count) over a span of seven years constant development...

Its not BIS bashing, just expressing displeasement with the lack of development. Lets also not forget, BIS brings allot of this on themselfs... Not to keep bringing it up, but BIS did promis allot of great things for this game, and built expectations to a very high level. Then for two years said absolutly nothing about it, and are only now three years later they are finally telling everyone that all the cool stuff that was promoteing and all they things they hyped, have been scraped, and replaced with more or less a clone version of ArmA, which was a clone of OFP. And quoteing Marek Spanel for the August 2005 PCGamer article.....

"We don't want to make a game that's a clone. We have a vision for a game we want to do, that is diffrent..."

But yet, here we are. So you can call it BIS bashing all you want... but they have brought allot of grief on themselfs. At the very least they could have done what most developers do, and kept teh community in the loop as they made development decisions to scrap features they had spent time hyping.

And your "Why don't YOU do it" comment was laughable. Why the hell say it to me? Im not the "game developer" that went out and hyped the whole dynamic campaign (three of them actually). Im not the one who made all these claims and hyped all these features that no longer are in ArmA2. And any retard can read the original magazine articles and the new ArmA2 info and clearly see almost everything from thoes old articles has been confirmed as NOT being in the game now. So no, I don't know more then you about the features of the game... I just actually pay attention to what I read, and can add 2 + 2.

They promised jack. Promises are never made. They made statements that can be retracted. Their great ideas came down as soon as their funds got shorter and the complexity increased. I'd like to enjoy ArmAII before 2015. Sometimes things are not as simple as they seem...

Hi all

Anyone else notice:

4 Man Crew in the Tank?

Kind Regards walker

anyway i really cant see in which part it is an improvement over the old one, i will say that its a new features, but thats might mean in exchange by cutting down a system that have so much potential within

New ArmA 2 Video on www.armabase.de!

MfG Markus

Ah finally a better command system. I always found that a less fun part in OFP/ArmA.  smile_o.gif

Once again the Island looks so great, like the dense forest areas and autumn colors.

Ok, thanks, added it to the first page. thumbs-up.gif

@ People blamming BIS for not delivering a dynamic campaign: It's not like its not going to be made. It just won't be BIS doing it. Give it a couple of months and you'll have dynamic campaigns a plenty.

The community is better than BIS at making missions anyway. smile_o.gif