Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios : Reloaded

Looks good!

Will the angle of the missile to the aircraft effect the probability of a hit? Eg Less chance head-on, compared to from behind, where the engines and their bigger IR signature are?

Cheers

Very nicely done flare system.........

Great to see it in action, and can't wait to try it when released......

Guest RKSL-Rock
Looks good!

Will the angle of the missile to the aircraft effect the probability of a hit? Eg Less chance head-on, compared to from behind, where the engines and their bigger IR signature are?

Cheers

UNN's probably better explaining this but I’ll have a go. He can correct me later if I screw it up.

Yes the angle does have *some* - it’s not huge- affect depending on the position of the flares relative to the aircraft. But it really isn’t as complex as you seem to think. The size of the IR signature doesn’t come into it. The “Cost†value in the config has an influence on the AI’s ability to target it but there is no value defining the “size†of the target’s IR footprint.

The system relies on the default ArmA targeting behaviour and prioritisation. It just does a quick probability calc influenced by a random divisor, deciding on the angle of deflection and probability of hit.

You can increase your chances of a hit by aiming wisely and choosing your moment to fire though. I’ve found tail shots from above (air to air) work well but side shots usually end up hitting a flare. But that is as much about relative speeds as it is about the ability of scripts.

In MP if you are smart about it and use two MANPADs you can fairly reliably down the helicopters at short range. Longer ranges it gets much harder to get a good hit which is how it should be. Obviously the faster the aircraft goes the harder it is to take down but it means you no longer have the immunity you once had. And of course its nice counter to the FCSS enabled SAMs we have in the pipeline. Their effectiveness is significantly higher than the default BIS SAMs.

Quote[/b] ]Will the angle of the missile to the aircraft effect the probability of a hit?

We can implement a simple check on bearing. We don't want to add much more just yet, until we see how they perform for other people.

Hey guys,

Anyone else on tenterhooks about the next update and are starting to go cold turkey (ho ho ho) for the lack of news, I just saw this on the RKSL site:

http://www.rkslstudios.info/distribution/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55

Just thought I'd pass on the news (hope you don't mind Rock, et al).  

Looking forward to the next update. Amazing work so far guys (as usual)!!!!!

xmas_o.gif

No, not me. They're RL is more important then this stuff so I don't have the right to fret about a lack of updates.

But it's good you put the link out. There are people out there that are a bunch of a$#holes and would probably start bitchin about a missed update so your post may avoid some of this. thumbs-up.gif

That's part of the reason why I did it. Think addon makers get enough stick as it is.

I'm with you there regards Real Life being more important, but I am hooked! The tenterhooks-cold turkey thing was a really bad pun, it is Christmas after all - plenty of crap jokes in the crackers!

Back to ironing my shirts for work tomorrow (Yeah real life is really important - some things are anyway wink_o.gif ). <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>Sorry for the</span> off topic!

Guest RKSL-Rock
That's part of the reason why I did it. Think addon makers get enough stick as it is.

Thanks for posting that.  Its been pretty mad for me the last few days.  Christmas has crept up faster than i thought so i needed a few days to make my travel planes etc so I'm playing catch up a bit.

Here's the much delayed Dec 20th update.  I'll post the others int he next few hours. (I'm still editing Video)

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Day 20 - Planes and the Cargo System FAQ</span>

dec20-planesandcargo-banner.jpg

After the C-130 update on the 17th and the Cargo system on the 15th we got a lot of emails asking how the C-130’s were going to use the system. What sort of functionality we were planning and how it would work. And of course what other transports we were making.

If you’ve not already seen the Cargo System Video, go watch it now. The rest of this won’t make sense if you haven’t seen it - Click Me.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>CLICK ME - December 20th - Planes and the Cargo System FAQ</span>

Come on Rock - hurry up and finish opening up yer pressies!

Can i have me Lynx! tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gifxmas_o.gif

Can i have me Lynx!  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  tounge2.gif  xmas_o.gif

There are some technical problems. Be patient.. save the best for the last. wink_o.gif

C'mon man, don't start with this stuff. He's got other stuff to worry about as well. Even if it's a joke, others may see it and start posting similar things. These guys are working too damn hard to get stuff like this. If it's delayed, it's delayed but please don't start asking where it is. When it's ready, we will see it. They don't deserve to be pestered anymore. After over a year of it from many people, enough is enough.

There are some technical problems. Be patient.. save the best for the last. wink_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  np VXR take your time guys!

As far as im concerned-the Lynx is my most anticipated release1

Indeed 'The best for last'   xmas_o.gif  xmas_o.gif

Edit:-

C'mon Manzilla-was just meant as a funny 'Merry Christmas'

As just the way VXR took it! notworthy.gif

I didn't think you were serious. Let's just hope the ungrateful ones don't show up.  wink_o.gif

My apologies.

Guest RKSL-Rock

I knew at least one person would do it  tounge2.gif

Right we've had some issues that have caused a delay.  My mother is ill so I've had to cram 7 days "Real" work into the last 3 days so I can go visit her in France on the 27th which has knocked us (RKSL) back a few days.  Which is why the advent calendar went AWOL in the last few days.

I'm still actually working on the documentation right now (and getting dirty looks off my girlfriend).  We, UNN and I are just finalising the packages but they *should* be released later today and maybe some more tomorrow time permitting.

Merry Christmas.  Hope you all have a good day.

Rock (and Mrs Rock)

Np Rock/Manzilla smile_o.gif

Hope your mother is ok.

I'm sure your girlfriend is not the only one that hates us blokes on our pc's  wink_o.gif

I knew at least one person would do it  tounge2.gif

Right we've had some issues that have caused a delay.  My mother is ill so I've had to cram 7 days "Real" work into the last 3 days so I can go visit her in France on the 27th which has knocked us (RKSL) back a few days.  Which is why the advent calendar went AWOL in the last few days.

I'm still actually working on the documentation right now (and getting dirty looks off my girlfriend).  We, UNN and I are just finalising the packages but they *should* be released later today and maybe some more tomorrow time permitting.

Merry Christmas.  Hope you all have a good day.

Rock (and Mrs Rock)

From the sound of it mate, I hope your Christmas gets better. Family first, every time, especially at Christmas. We can wait.

(Let's face it, we're used to it! tounge2.gif )

Guest RKSL-Rock
From the sound of it mate, I hope your Christmas gets better. Family first, every time, especially at Christmas. We can wait.

Its not actually been too bad this year, just busy.  Last year was nightmare smile_o.gif  This is actually the first christmas i've spent in my own home for 19 years!

(Let's face it, we're used to it! tounge2.gif )

ooooo cheeky!

If u could se me now...

You would lock me up and throw away the key...

yay.gif

notworthy.gif

You should see me right now. Not only am i bald but I'm also now going gray. sad_o.gif I've been on intravenous Red Bull for the last week. And VXR and UNN can testify thats never a good thing!

Is it sad when the thing you're really looking forward to on Christmas day is a virtual Lynx? biggrin_o.gif

Have a good Christmas RKSL, you've all earned it. xmas_o.gif

Daniel @ Dec. 25 2008,15:20)]Is it sad when the thing you're really looking forward to on Christmas day is a virtual Lynx?  biggrin_o.gif

Have a good Christmas RKSL, you've all earned it.  xmas_o.gif

Not at all, better to crash a virtual lynx instead a real one wink_o.gif

Now im off again as I also had some bad looks when I told I had to check some things. tounge2.gif

RockofSL,

I hope your mother gets well soon!

Thanks for all the hard work you and your team are doing for Christmas these Arma Kids!

Oh and say hello to UNN for me. I know he works extra hard!

Merry Christmas!