Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

EricM Hind Pack BETA1

.How many 5.45 rounds did you fire at it before it did that? /QUOTE]

I did a quick test and you need about 10 direct hits at point blank with an AK 47 to get to that results. That seems ok for me...

Note that if you see some visual/texture bugs, please try and take a screenshot, as comments such as "light is too light" isn't so helpful to spot what could be wrong...

Next, keep in mind what you see as a bug could be a "feature" (ie a design choice) or due to engine limitations.

The goal I had was to make it more or less "on par" with BIS content in terms of look/fun/realism ratio, and I think Rock did a great job at making everything functional, pleasing to fly, AI friendly and not bloated with weird scripts that give you MP issues or fill your Arma.rpt with error message.

Clean and simple.

Quote[/b] ]I did a quick test and you need about 10 direct hits at point blank with an AK 47 to get to that results. That seems ok for me...

Mi-24 bulletproof glass can withstand direct 12.7mm ammo hits. Add only damaged glass texture if you want, but it still must be bulletproof.

I don't think glass can be completely "bullet-proof", I'm sure if you pump a good few .50s or 5.45s or whatever into it, it will break eventually.

This model is very well done, we tested playing it in a MP Mission last night without any issues, everyone thought it flew outstanding.

Well Done, one of the nicest models produced for ARMA.

Vengeance

GA (Global Aliens)

The auto cargo doors and landing gear is something i would rather control with the action menu since i like having control over these things, somehow i like the extra interaction but this is just an opinion.

I know a few people wanted this but honestly I see it as an acceptable compromise so the AI can use it easily.

I would second that. I would prefer to have myself the control over the landing gear and the cargo doors. It was something already bothering me on the KA50, always lowering gear when just hovering low to prepare next popup attack.

I guess that should be optional wink_o.gif not everybody really need such "action menu spam", especially those who don't have USB joystick xD autoretracting gear keeps my mind concentrated on other tasks, f. e. ArmA "autorotation" with keys & mouse is a pure nightmare.  However, if it's do-able, it should be done as an external addon disabling this automation and adding manual gear operation.

OK in an attempt to explain the automatic gear issue:

I don’t think you all appreciate exactly how much of a problem making helicopters with “manual gear†is.  First of all I assume you all want something that works like a plane?  Nice little action menu that allows you to drop and retract gears just like a harrier.  Well here’s lies the problem.  The way that BIS setup the animation sources on helicopters you do not have that ability.  The animations use the same “gear†source as the planes.  But in a “helicopter class†they don’t function in the same way.  They are fully automatic by default. No action menu options at all.

So to make a manual gear system you need to write a script to do it.   Now this isn’t a problem, well not really it’s just a bit of faffing to rewrite the model.cfg and define some custom animation sources. Now the awkward bit comes when you want to get the AI to use it.  They cant.  So you now need to write a looping script to check who’s in the aircraft, either player or AI. If it the player then it doesn’t need to do anything.  Just keep checking.  If its an AI then you need to check for altitude and speed, set a condition that will then raise the gear and a further one that will lower it when its low and slow enough…

Its not possible to make “an external addon disabling this automation†To make a manual system you would need to make a special version of the models, one with a customised model.cfg and config to provide the appropriate animation sources.  You’d also need the scripts etc. Somthign that i really dont have the time or scripting skill to do myself.  if someone else would like to try the models will be made available in MLOD format once we've killed the last few bugs off.

Now you have to remember that looping scripts are “badâ€.  They add lag desync and all sort sof other MP problems.  Personally I don’t mind the auto gear.  The AI can use the helo effectively and there are no MP compatibility issues.  I don’t think it’s a bad compromise.

leave it the way it is. We dont need more loops.

Mi-24 amored cockpits and titanium rotor head able to withstand 20-mm cannon hits. Bulletproof glass can withstand 12.7mm ammo hits. It's a flying tank not cobra.

Common missconception:

it can withstand one or - at best - few hits.

The rotor won't desintegrate from one 20mm hit, but neither will AH64's rotor.

Mi-24 bulletproof glass can withstand direct 12.7mm ammo hits. Add only damaged glass texture if you want, but it still must be bulletproof.

Read the above posts again. It's the damage system in ArmA that's at fault. Not Rock or EricM.

You can destroy an Abrams in this game with a M249. Can you do that in real life? No. It's because ArmA uses a hitpoints-system instead of proper armour calculations.

Unless Rock and EricM can rewrite the core damage engine in ArmA they can't cure the problem.

dont know if it´s a bug but... AI doesnt seem to engage properly..

i had it in a quck mission with about 10 vehicles (unarmored) and some 40+ soldiers on the opposing side and well.. AI shot a couple of guided missiles and some random burts with the cannon (mi24D) but mostly just flew around waiting to be shot down..

i would have hoped AI was a bit more aggresive with it..

like.. throwing unguided rockets at the soldiers, and rapidly changing targets with its cannon after defeating the previous target..

but as i said, not sure it´s a bug..

Witnessed the same problem. You need to put the heli out some distance from the target for it to engage AT missiles. Once those are gone, it wont engage inf with rockets or guns.

nice work - it flies pretty good, it feels heavy, yet capable of a lot if pushed to it.

amazing model, and i'd have to disagree with the specular mapping - i've been around a lot of aircraft, and i'd have to say this seems pretty close as it is.

found a few bugs, i've reported them in the bugtracker.

dont know if it´s a bug but... AI doesnt seem to engage properly..

i had it in a quck mission with about 10 vehicles (unarmored) and some 40+ soldiers on the opposing side and well.. AI shot a couple of guided missiles and some random burts with the cannon (mi24D) but mostly just flew around waiting to be shot down..

i would have hoped AI was a bit more aggresive with it..

like.. throwing unguided rockets at the soldiers, and rapidly changing targets with its cannon after defeating the previous target..

but as i said, not sure it´s a bug..

Witnessed the same problem. You need to put the heli out some distance from the target for it to engage AT missiles.  Once those are gone, it wont engage inf with rockets or guns.

And how is this different to the helicopters already in game, that are horribly, horribly bad at attacking anything?

Nice addon.

The quad 12.7mm seems a bit too powerful: a few short bursts will explode another hind, and about 150 rounds will destroy a ramahdi building. It also seems to have heavy splash damage. Might want to decrease the power slightly.

Sorry, Im in stupidmode...the passwords at the end of the readme, where do I find the readme? If it is included with the addon I cant a actually get as far as opening it smile_o.gif

Sorry, Im in stupidmode...the passwords at the end of the readme, where do I find the readme? If it is included with the addon I cant a actually get as far as opening it smile_o.gif

When you open the rar there is the readme showing the password at the bottom. In the rar there is also another rar that needs the password to be opened.

When you open the rar there is the readme showing the password at the bottom. In the rar there is also another rar that needs the password to be opened.

I cant actually open the .rar at all, from the ericm-hind-BETA1-210608.rar 31.4mb file. As soon as I click to open [with WinRAR] Im asked to put a password in? Anyhelp would be much appreciated smile_o.gif

I cant actually open the .rar at all, from the ericm-hind-BETA1-210608.rar 31.4mb file. As soon as I click to open [with WinRAR] Im asked to put a password in? Anyhelp would be much appreciated  smile_o.gif

When you open EricM_Hind_BETA1.rar there is ericm-hind-BETA1-210608.rar and a readme.

open the readme and read to the bottom, there is a password to open the ericm-hind-BETA1-210608.rar

Guest RKSL-Rock
I cant actually open the .rar at all, from the ericm-hind-BETA1-210608.rar 31.4mb file. As soon as I click to open [with WinRAR] Im asked to put a password in? Anyhelp would be much appreciated  smile_o.gif

As VXR says you have not got the full archive then.

Redownload the archive and try again - http://downloads.rkslstudios.info/EricM/EricM_Hind_BETA1.rar

Cheers for the help fella's, it seems armedassault.info uploaded the wrong file originally, just double checked and im good to go. smile_o.gif

Cheers for the help fella's, it seems armedassault.info uploaded the wrong file originally, just double checked and im good to go.  smile_o.gif

No problem wink_o.gif Have a nice flight! biggrin_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Cheers for the help fella's, it seems armedassault.info uploaded the wrong file originally, just double checked and im good to go.  smile_o.gif

Ok ive just posted a correction for the Armed Assault.info guys here:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.p....&id=977

Hey , i was testing a this yesterday again , i must say flying model is really good and speed too tounge2.gif

nvm about that light,

btw i spotted some things:

hbug2ci5.jpg

"Skin bug???"

hbug3my9.jpg

"Alpha channel bug"

hbugfa9.jpg

"Is this some model bug??? huh.gif I dunno ,but it looks like "

And i can confirm that bug with that tail rotor blur

Can u fix this in next version?

Very Impressed guys, much appreciated bringing my favourite helicopter into the realms of ArmA smile_o.gif One thing I noticed, may need afew more people to clarify this. When starting in the aircraft grounded I hear the faint sound of the helicopters engines for about 2 seconds as if another mi-24 is already airbourne in the distance, it proptly stops after this time only to be heard once again when firing up the engines. Also it appears HDR had a rather white-out affect on all of the cockpit gauges during sunrise hours however that might just need some map tweeking. If you like I can chuck it into the bug report later.

Other then I had greatfun, the FM is truely spot-on and I patiently await the full release smile_o.gif

Hi all !

Very nice chopper, very well done. All it needs is some tweaking and it will be near perfect smile_o.gif The model is very good, some normals (as already highlighted) need to be smoothed and the tail rotor has the 'rotating' texture always on. The sound at the init is useless, but you already noticed it.

The FM is just perfect for this chopper, it has some weight but still maneuvers like it should. I love the anims, very simple yet functional. Of course, some optimization is needed for the auto gear in/out, but otherwise, I like it. By the way, is it XEH compatible (also Sickboy's 6th Sense tracers ?) ?

Waiting for next update ! Good job EricM and RockofSL on this one.

Malick

EDIT : One request though, can the choppers in the final release be configured under OPFOR>Air (instead of OPFOR>EricM and RKSL). Much easier for mission makers smile_o.gif

@RobertHammer :

- "Skin bug???": possibly, yes...

-"Alpha channel bug" : Not much I can do about this one...

- "Is this some model bug??? : Not a bug, the model is fine, but the slope being sharper at this spot, Arma shadowing stands out at certain light angles... It would require reworking the normal map with a highpoly version to get rid of or limit this effect... not sure I can do that at the moment...

@Malick : I'd prefer have it under OPFOR/AIR too, but with various skins or versions, that may create a mess, no ?