Sign in to follow this  
Mark XIII (DayZ)

Hifi Sound FX V1.00 Released

Well, I got the config working with the footsteps, now for some serious editing...I was thinking of overlaying some additional equipment noise over the top of these just to give the added feeling of movement. I was thinking of adding some breathing overlays to the sprint samples too, we'll see how it works out I guess.

Little update, I managed to extract afew good quality samples from a vid clip posted by mr.g-c, and pointed out to me by Juan (Thankyou both!wink_o.gif) notworthy.gif...I tried them ingame about ten minutes ago and I gotta say they OWN. Remember guys, if you find something you like the sound of, post the link and I'll check it out. If I can get a good quality sample out of it, I'll stick in the next release....so.. I guess I'm requesting more sonic crack sounds.. wink_o.gif

As you guys know I've been messing with the minigun samples alot lately, G#d dang things doing my head in...well the truth be known I'm getg closer to what I want is just how many times must I load up the game to find I'm just off by a fraction of a second.... crazy_o.gif

Ok this is alittle off topic but have you guys tried this SLX mod...WOW, works really nice with my addon too..just figured if you haven't tried it yet you should whistle.gif .

Well, I'll catch you guys laters!

Best Regards

Mark XIII

If you watch Saving Private Ryan and listen to the MG-42 sounds (which are absolutely amazing), you'll hear that sound.  

You can hear what I'm talking about in this clip from the movie (which won an award for its sound FX amongst other things):  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y1YL9C8Hfw

But isn't that just meant to be cases hitting the floor of their

bunker? The wartime MG42 only used non-disintegrating link

belts (assuming the filmmakers were that attentive to detail,

of course).

"Mark XIII"; please could you tell us a bit about the tools you

use to make these sounds?

About the movement sounds. I don't know how you can do this, but it was done in OFP, so chances are that it should be even easyer in ArmA. To the point biggrin_o.gif The movement sound of a automatic rifleman should be different to the sound of a normal rifleman, due to the equipment. If you add the sound/s at random times while the unit is moustly runing, I think it could make it more realistic. I would be great if somebody had a video showing what FDF done in OFP, or was it FFUR?

Anyway, different sounds for different units, you actually would only need sounds for a cuple of units, because I don't think a decent rifleman will have many items making noise, so I would concentrate mainly in suport weapons, like gunners and AA and AT units.

Also, it would be nice if you could add a sound to the NVGs when being selected by the unit or player, like one of them low to high frecuency whistle.

I got some samples, but they are in a CD and I'll have to dig them out, now is late and I want to go to bed. If you like some I'll send them to you tomorrow. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Laterz.

Hi.

Quote[/b] ]"Mark XIII"; please could you tell us a bit about the tools you

use to make these sounds?

Ok mate I shall share alittle info on my 'tools'

First & foremost I use sound editing software called Sony Soundforge 8, this cost me 50 quid and its money well spent as far as I'm concerned. I'm a musician too and I've had this package awhile now, I used it mainly for chopping up beats and stuff like that. This software allows you to do all sorts of cool things to the sound (if used lightly!wink_o.gif), possibly the best functions for small arms are the mixing (or overlaying)) of 2 or more sounds. The pitch shifting/pitch bending tools for obvious reasons. Finally the coolest tool has to be the timestretcher, you can use this to extend the trailoff on a gunshot sample or compact a sample to add punch. All of these FX and EQ functions are just tools at the end of the day...you need alittle inspiration too pistols.gif

I have access to some other recording stuff too, multitrack desk and some guitar FX stuff like that, most of my friends are musicians so...It makes it easier for me to do this stuff I guess. it also allows me to be alittle creative too.

Well, I'd recommend going out there and grabbing some decent software, get practicing, building up a library of sounds, plenty of free online sound sources..then show me what ya got, I'm waiting to hear your stuff already.... notworthy.gif

Hope that helps some..

Best Regards

Mark XIII

For what it's worth; I think I've located the sound that I meant in my earlier post. I think it's the far away sound for the uaz MG, or perhaps inf MG. In any case, it really sounds too much like 'plop plop plop' instead of 'bang bang bang' in my humble opinion smile_o.gif

I have some excellent TOW missile sounds, including the very strange sound the steering jets on the missile make as it flies.

PM me if you want 'em.

I can't wait for the new (or improved/added?) sonic cracks. They sound good now, hope they'll sound even better, or a wider range of sounds, that'd be brilliant.

Yours,

Heya guys!

Little Update for ya's...

I have some good news, I was going to make another update (1.3.2)...Well thats changed I'm gonna go straight to 1.4...I shall explain alittle.

I was looking at sorting out afew sounds that had been requested across the forums then posting a small update before starting work on adding footstep & equipment sounds (of which there are 1022 sounds!wink_o.gif. Anyway I recieve a pm from a guy that posted afew times on my thread here. His name's Jocko Flocko and he's pretty much the reason I'll be jumping straight to 1.4. This guy has basically supplied me with a number of sounds he himself was working on releasing but for personal reasons cannot. All I can tell you is that this guys work is on par with my own, so with a little tweaking on my part I've managed to complete alot of work in a very short time. So..a BIG THANKYOU to Jocko Flocko for his assistance and quality sounds!

This is good news, with the sounds jocks given me and the work I've done already as far as requests via the forums goes, it leaves me a alittle config work to do (and we all know how I love the config!wink_o.gif) and some editing of new content...mainly the patter of big black boots wink_o.gif .

Work on the sonic cracks (is that the right lingo?)) has nearly finished, just having trouble finding afew more quality sounds which is hard when your after the real deal, still its coming along nicely.

now onto the footsteps & equipment sounds. I was originally gonna place some equipment overlays ontop of the footstep samples.. What I might actually do is work on the footsteps as a seperate entity for now, bearing in mind that better footsteps would be nice (default ones are alittle dull/short)) and not forgetting possible performance benifits, all the bis stuff is 44khz (I've seen a couple of 90kb footstep sounds?!"?)). All my sounds are respampled down 22khz.

I'm not sure how the arma engine works, but it seems the more default sounds I replace with 22khz versions the better the performance? Changing my orginal addon down to 22khz seemed to help alot of people including me...I'm not a 100% about performance increases, but if anyone else can confirm it, ace!

Anyways listen to harp on...I'll keep you guys updated on my progress but I'm not suggesting any release times just yet so watch this space....

Keep Rockin People & Thankyou so much for you requests & comments please, please keep them coming, you guys keep this addon going as much as I do..:notworthy:

Best Regards

Mark XIII

Wow, that's great news man! I can hardly wait....no really....*shaking Mark by the collar* I want it now!!! hehe j/k tounge2.gif

Nah, seriously though, the work you've done has been nothing short of stunning and can only imagine the improvements. I'm excited that you've decided to tackle footstep sounds. It's one of the things many tend to forget about. I love all those little touches that make it that much more real for me. So thanks a bunch for taking the time to tackle it.

Keep up the great work, we're rootin' for ya man! yay.gif

Footstep sounds used to be dependent on the surface being traversed. Has that changed in ArmA?

Great mod!!!

I love it! thumbs-up.gif

just one thing, I keep getting an error message every once in a while when I exit the editor, or join a game or exit, about ...\FFAR burst is not a value.

Anyone else getting this, or is it something I am doing wrong or a mod I have on? huh.gif

@Uziyahu--IDF

no it hasn't. I have noticed them without any sound mods, and some mods exaggerate on them, where as some might tune them down... confused_o.gif

but no I believe they are still in ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]Has that changed in ArmA?

There has been a bug in Arma. If you start on a surfacetype and keep walking or running onto a different surfacetype the sound doesn´t change. Once you stop on the new surface and move on the right sound is played. Don´t know if this bug has been fixed yet.

honestly I like the last version more.

Any particular reason why? Would help the creator a bit if we specify what we like/dislike instead of being so vague as "I don't like it" sorta deal. wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Great mod!!!

I love it! thumbs-up.gif

just one thing, I keep getting an error message every once in a while when I exit the editor, or join a game or exit, about ...\FFAR burst is not a value.

Anyone else getting this, or is it something I am doing wrong or a mod I have on?  huh.gif

Same here, runing this with the latest "ArmA effects" and no unoficial addons (For multiplayer)

All this in 1.8 BTW.

1.08 is out of date.

Found that error in my arma.rpt:

Cannot find a sound file hifi_sounds\s\mgair_vrb.wss

Solution:

class M168 : CannonCore {

sound[] = {"\HiFi_sounds\h\m168_vs", 30.0, 1};

reloadSound[] = {"\HiFi_sounds\h\mgair_vrb", 0.04162, 1};

};

class AZP85 : CannonCore {

sound[] = {"\HiFi_sounds\h\azp85_vs", db32, 1};

reloadSound[] = {"\HiFi_sounds\h\mgair_vrb", 0.04162, 1};

soundBurst = 0;

};

Hello there !

Ok, just to wet your gunslinging taste buds....

Hifi 1.4beta promo vid featuring the SLX MOD (Thanks to Sharpshooter aka Mr Sarkey for the usual outstanding work on the video!wink_o.gif

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZ5GEtb1M4

http://www.vimeo.com/998487

I'll be back over the next few days to post the projected readme for 1.4 . Its looking good gentlemen, I've managed to get pretty much most of the work done, just alittle fine tuning here and there..

Actually, while I'm here I would like to ask you all to voice your opinion on alittle idea I've had.

I was thinking of getting in touch with some of the guys here that have made weapon packs for arma and asking them if they'd mind if I produced a config for hifi 1.5 that would replace their weapons sounds with ones already from hifi & alternative/new sounds added to hifi (for certain non default weapons)). I got the idea for this when I got intouch with Para from SLX requesting the use of the SLX mod in the above video. Para said I could alter my config to bypass their sounds and release it along with my usual sound/config.pbo...(Still need to make SURE this is ok, as well as getting intouch with the other guys too)).

You may ask..but why do this..Well, from my point of view, theres only one reason...consistency..If you use a weapon pack & sound pack, you get both sets of sounds which is ok but normally, made by at least 2 different people so theres very little consistency in the sounds themselves and its normally worse when it comes to volumes within the different configs. So, I'd like to remedy this for users of HiFi FX whom like me like to use lots of different addons to create a good atmosphere.

Ok, thats my pitch, now its all up to you guys, if you want me to go ahead with this idea then let me know because theres little point in me PMing all and saundry if its a bad idea or your happy with things the way they are...if you have a suggestion, maybe an addon you'd like to see 'HiFied' then again as always let me know. I won't begin work on this idea until I get some feedback of you guys.

Well, I hope you enjoy the video and I hope your eager for 1.4 because its coming......

Best Regards

Mark XIII

Hi Mark,

great mod, I love it. And I agree 100% with you on the idea of consistency in sound mods! if you could manage that it would be great!

Mark,

sounds good, the way you describe it. If the result justifies your effort, I say: Go for it!

Ok so heres the projected readme so far;

Update time!!

- Reworked M4 sound (added punch and new trailoff*))

- Reworked M4SD sound (new trailoff*))

- Reworked M203 sound (added Umph!*))

- Reworked M2 sound (New attack sound*))

- New G36 series sounds (Louder, more aggressive sounding))

- Reworked M249 & M240 sounds (Added alittle more trailoff))

- Reworked M107 sound (added punch as requested))

- New & reworked sonic crack sounds (as requested))

- Reworked AV-8 Engine loop (longer loop as requested))

- New Minigun sounds (all jocko flocko's work with a little edit from me))

- Reworked M203/GP25 Explosions (more varied & louder))

- Reworked RPG/M136 Explosions (more varied & louder))

- Reworked hit sounds (more varied)

- Added Footsteps & Equipment (reworked resampled down to 22khz))

- Added some misc sounds (removed the need to access some bis stuff from the config))

Ok, well all thats required now is some playtesting and its ready for release so whatch this space....

Regards

Mark XIII

Sounds awesome, can't wait to get my hands on it thumbs-up.gif

Equipment sounds YAY!