Sign in to follow this  
-Variable-

Different Name

One of the worst aspects of Armed Assault was its name. I think the name is important and should reflect the attitude and the style of the game. To me (and to many others I spoke to) arma's name was childish and to be honest, stupid (what kind of assault is not armed?). The sequel to OFP should have had a better name. Armed Assault sounds like a freeware shootemup game that you can download from the pc section of a news website. If BIS wants its game to reflect realism and maturity to its sequel it must change the game's name. I see the need to commercially appeal to younger customers too but I think that can be acheived with a more seriouse name. I know that some will think that as long as the game is good, the name does not matter. but I tend to think about it as of a pretty girl but with a bad breath smile_o.gif.

Come on BIS, give us a name that we would be proud of.

For your information, the name is "Arma 2", not "Armed Assault". "Arma" stands for "weapon" in Latin (see Wiktionary), and I can hardly imagine better name for a war game. We would like to avoid usual "Something of Something" scheme. smile_o.gif

I mostly agree with -Variable- here smile_o.gif

ArmA 2 was in development since before anyone ever heard of ArmA (known as OFP 2 and later Game 2). So it's not really a successor to ArmA. ArmA is the game that was developed to fill the gap, although I guess it used a lot of things that were made for 'Game 2'.

I never really liked the name 'Armed Assault'. As for what to name 'Game 2', well, I don't know tounge2.gif

Maybe some kind of community competition to name the game would be a good idea?

I tried to think of an idea for a name to go with this post, but I couldn't think of one. I hope someone has a better imagination than me for a name crazy_o.gif

Maybe when I'm completely sober again I can think of one tounge2.gif

@Edge: Only saw your post now. Even though it's only called ArmA 2, it is still associated with 'ArmA: Armed Assault'. Many people even refer to it as 'Armed Assault 2'.

A new name would be a good thing in my opinion.

I think there's little they can do. The franchise is now called ArmA. It seems that they are subtly re-branding it as it is, but I don't think it makes much sense to abandon the ArmA brand.

Guest Ti0n3r

Meh, I think the name is good and serves it purpose. Especially if it will be called just 'Arma'.

For your information, the name is "Arma 2", not "Armed Assault". "Arma" stands for "weapon" in Latin (see Wiktionary), and I can hardly imagine better name for a war game. We would like to avoid usual "Something of Something" scheme. smile_o.gif

Nooo, I wanted to say that! My one chance to add something intellegent and it's spoiled.   wink_o.gif

Seriously though, I agree that Arma is a good name, though to be honest I prefer Arma II more than Arma 2. I know it's not much of a change, but if you're using a Latin word then perhaps you should also use Roman Numerals.

I don't get it then. So the fact that Arma is a sequel to a game named armed assault whos initials are happen to be ArmA is just a coincidence?

Yes, my opinion is: just call it "ARMA II" or change the name to something else.

"Armed Assault" is really a odd name as like someone said before, all assaults are armed....

Regards, Christian

Name doesn't matter. Let the game make the name. I bet if Call Of Duty flopped people would see the name as stupid. Or Medal Of Honour.

Name doesn't matter. Let the game make the name. I bet if Call Of Duty flopped people would see the name as stupid. Or Medal Of Honour.

Not at all, that horrible name created a lot of objections even before the game saw light. I even remember a post started by the Avon Lady asking to change it, and that was before the demo came out.

I don't get it then. So the fact that Arma is a sequel to a game named armed assault whos initials are happen to be ArmA is just a coincidence?

It's a clever play on words. The name of the game is ArmA: Armed Assault. ArmA also means 'weapons' in latin. So ArmA 2 just dispenses with the subtitle, which likely did come before the abbreviated 'ArmA', but is none-the-less simply an appendage.

It's a clever play on words.  The name of the game is ArmA: Armed Assault.  ArmA also means 'weapons' in latin.  So ArmA 2 just dispenses with the subtitle, which likely did come before the abbreviated 'ArmA', but is none-the-less simply an appendage.

thanks for the explanation plaintiff1, though it was not needed. my question was cynical because i wanted to imply that the name will already be grasp, by 99% of those who played Armed Assault, as Armed Assault, whatever arma means in Latin, simply because 99% of the players don't know about the Latin meaning (unless BIS plans on printing it on the game's cover- that will be very funny because of the similarity to the armed assault ep.1 who had nothing to do with Latin).

Come on, if you want to change the name simply do so, don't wonder looking for meanings that no one will know of unless he reads this esoteric topic or look it up in Wiktionary.

Come on, if you want to change the name simply do so, don't wonder looking for meanings that no one will know of unless he reads this esoteric topic or look it up in Wiktionary.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. They didn't change the name at all. The name is ArmA: Armed Assault in europe and ArmA: Combat Operations in the USA, and the expansion pack is called ArmA: Queen's Gambit. What is changing the name about ArmA 2?

Well english isn't my first language but I think an assault can be without weapons.

Haven't you heard of the legal term "assault"? It can be with fists and kicks too. Assault is another word for attack.

I like the name. Arma, in my native, also means "tank" or "chariot".

Armed Assault is cool too.

It's an assault with weapons.

What on earth can you NOT like about that?

I mean, add some b00bs to that and you got perfection.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  They didn't change the name at all.  The name is ArmA: Armed Assault in europe and ArmA: Combat Operations in the USA, and the expansion pack is called ArmA: Queen's Gambit.  What is changing the name about ArmA 2?

That's what i mean. They didn't change the name, it's still called arma, but now they say it's not the initials of "armed assault", now it's simply arma, a latin word, known only to Latin speakers (how many are there anyways? maybe 0.0001 of BIS customers?). So, all I said was it's a poor attempt to get away from a bad choice of the name Armed assault, because everyone will still think of the name as the initials of "Armed assault".

I'm not quite sure what you mean. They didn't change the name at all. The name is ArmA: Armed Assault in europe and ArmA: Combat Operations in the USA, and the expansion pack is called ArmA: Queen's Gambit. What is changing the name about ArmA 2?

That's what i mean. They didn't change the name, it's still called arma, but now they say it's not the initials of "armed assault", now it's simply arma, a latin word, known only to Latin speakers (how many are there anyways? maybe 0.0001 of BIS customers?). So, all I said was it's a poor attempt to get away from a bad choice of the name Armed assault, because everyone will still think of the name as the initials of "Armed assault".

I see!

Armed Assault initials are: A A

offcourse you can also make it:

nailpatella4fotojanwijten.jpgsweet-ass.jpg

icon_rolleyes.gif

So only reason why ArmA might not be the best way to go is because most game sites have reviewed ArmA not that good and lots of gamers have bad experience with the game in it's unpatched state.

"Armed Assault" is really a odd name as like someone said before, all assaults are armed....

Except for unarmed assaults, right? Like if I were to punch you in the face or if you were to kick me in the nuts. Yes, unarmed assault, or just assault to most. How about verbal assault? And let's not forget my personal favourite kind of assault... the one that starts with an 's'.

You mean the one that also starts with an R and is mostly prosecutable for?

Armed Assault wasn't too bad in and of itself, although admittedly the "Arma: Armed Assault" Threw me off. As far as war games..in my opinion Arma is sort of..odd, as many stated most gamers will still see it as Armed Assault especially if they purchased a copy of the one with the name above.

Operation Flashpoint was a great name because it had a military feel about it from the start..an operation called flashpoint or so..too bad that name is now branded. But Operation xxxx would probably work nicely, doesn't have to be flashpoint but it would fit a more military feel (which supposedly the game is about <.<)

Armed Assault sounds in all honesty more like a 'street' type of game title, but at this point I'm pretty certain BIS won't change the title.

Except for unarmed assaults, right? Like if I were to punch you in the face or if you were to kick me in the nuts. Yes, unarmed assault, or just assault to most. How about verbal assault? And let's not forget my personal favourite kind of assault... the one that starts with an 's'.

Well english isn't my first language but I think an assault can be without weapons.

Haven't you heard of the legal term "assault"? It can be with fists and kicks too. Assault is another word for attack.

Do you two seriously think that all sort of UNARMED assaults are relevant to a war game? it is clear that the game is about war, and it's needless to say it refers to lethal assaults. That's what makes this name so senseless.

Yes, referring to my dictionary, "Assault" in relation with the military means in other words "Storm".

So "assault that hill" means something like "storm that hill" of course armed with lethal weapons...... wink_o.gif

Thats why i posted what i posted.....

tounge2.gif

...So "assault that hill" means something like "storm that hill" of course armed with lethal weapons......

I rest my case.

So, now, don't write ArmA 2, but more Arma 2.

Well... why not, after all. Arma sound a good name, and (in french) I don't mind naming the game "Armed Assault" ; maybe it sounds 'stupid' in english but in foreign language doesn't shock me out. For me, Arma will remain ArmA in my head, but Arma (latin word) is fine for a war game.

Arma rocks wink_o.gif

There is I think a PHP script made by Kegetys which gives you more choices:

rasi.php

tounge2.gif

(copied link from his signature, I hope that's ok, if it isn't ok then I'll remove it if you keg ask)

Go to Sotapelinimigeneraattori page at http://junk.kegetys.net/generator/

I got these now:

Hostile Operation - World Command

Battlefield Warfare Storm

War Enemy

Terrorism Confrontation - Enemy

Terrorism Danger

First Company - World Simulator

Assault Terrorism Warfare

Cold War Mission

World in Conflict

Force War

Conflict of Virtual Operation in Sight

Force Cold War

Cold War Confrontation

World Assault

Joint Warfare Battle in Sight

Warfare Encounter - Operation of War

Storm Crisis Defence

Force of Enemy Storm Flashpoint

Danger - Battlefield Mission

Flashpoint Operation - Battle Command

Assault Company Cold War

Battle - Storm Defence

Company World Assault Opposition

Conflict - Storm

Conflict Mission

Battle Storm Confrontation

Virtual World Combat Encounter

Conflict War Encounter

Battlefield Conflict Mission

Enemy Company Battle Forces

Force Storm Assault

Cold War Operation - Danger

Combat World

Virtual Armed Defence

Company Flashpoint

Conflict Assault Command

Confrontation Storm

Crisis War - Dangerous Command

Silent Combined Operation Assault Terrorism

Terrorism Battle - Confrontation

Armed Battlefield

Future Operation Dangerous Warfare

Cold War Troops

Operation Combat

Force Battlefield Danger

Project Storm War Assault

Operation Crisis Terrorism

Crisis of War

Dangers of Assault Conflict - Terrorism

Cold War Encounter Operation Combat Attack

I think one of those will do, if they need another name.