Sign in to follow this  
arktan

First person view is not realistic

I have written this once before but could not prove it because it was only a feeling. When I played OFP, the rifle was always nearer to my eyes than in Arma. And i've also held real weapons and they were also always nearer to my line of sight than in Arma. Now i know why: The first person view camera is placed over the soldiers left eye. Yes, it is that way because if you put on NVG's and they're visible from the ego perspective you see them underneath your camera although they're supposed to be on your eyes

Picture: The NVG's are put on, notice that the ego-camera is above the soldiers left eye

positionbg0.th.jpg

position2ko1.th.jpg

help.gif

This could also explain why the HUD in vehicles is offset from the aiming point and stuff like that...

So how does one fix that?

Anyway the point of view was always clearly "off" since a rifle

held in your virtual hands looks about twice as long as it does

in real-life. When you play ArmA with the default FOV

settings you are effectively running around looking down a

pair of binoculars the wrong way. Look down at your virtual

feet in the game - you look about 12 feet tall! It took me a

while to "get" that "Man at 200 metres" in ArmA is actually

more like "Man at about 400 metres".

You could have also proved that by simply opening one of the BIS soldier models wink_o.gif

CameronMcdonalds latest ACU soldiers have it moved to the correct position.

thanks for the hint!

I'll try'em out ASAP

Well, now with the beta patch 1.12 the binocular-effect was removed. Thanks BIS! Now it's much better. The only thing that bothers me now is that the m4's are almost out of the sight (we see only a small piece of the rifle in the bottom right part of the screen) while in real life the ironsights are always a few centimeters of my line of sight...

Now we would just need a repositioning of the first person view camera so that we can enjoy the new FOW...

something like this, there's a much better feel for the weapon and it's closer to what a first person view in real life looks when you're holding a rifle

http://www.multiplay.co.uk/content....s_4.jpg

i find now that in 1.12 if i double tap - (minus) on the keypad i kind of get that same look, which kinda feels more realistic...ish!

even if you zoom out, the offset remains. The camera for the first person view is over the left eye which offsets the rifle for about 30-40 centimeters. If you hold a rifle in your hands in real life is the offset that big? I don't think so...

In the screenshot the offset is way more realistic (10-20cm) because you get that feeling that yoou look through your right eye (your aiming eye) and you have a much better control feeling for the rifle

i think that the guys from bis made the first person view that way because they feared clipping of the 3d-model of the weapon when we zoom in.... well best would be anyway to remove the extra zoom without ironsights since we have this new FOW (now we don't have to zoom in to hit a target 50m away and if we need more zoom, we could simply aim with the ironsights.....

i think that the guys from bis made the first person view that way because they feared clipping of the 3d-model of the weapon when we zoom in.... well best would be anyway to remove the extra zoom without ironsights since we have this new FOW (now we don't have to zoom in to hit a target 50m away and if we need more zoom, we could simply aim with the ironsights.....

If you tried an addon like CMD's soldiers that have the point of view in the correct position you will see that there is no extra clipping.

Zooming in doesn't actually move the camera forward, so it shouldn't be causing more clipping anyway.

Any why should zooming be tied to ironsights? In real life you don't need to hold up a weapon's sights to focus on something.

It's just because we got the new FOW settings now... but i think that this is a question of taste...

But you're right. I just tried those soldiers and there's no clipping so why did they position the camera so wrong?

Look on XAM Ghille Snipers Standalone

They are carrying weapons exacly how you want ;p

exactly that is a good first person view xam ghillie snipers:

82389500js9.th.jpg

the offset is much smaller!

if you want nice FOV on BIS units use TruePack

exacly TrueFov-Original

Picture: The NVG's are put on, notice that the ego-camera is above the soldiers left eye

.http://img252.imageshack.us/img252....mg]

Aren't this the PKW Mercs in this pics?

Had a similar problem and also some displaced sights on weapons (perhaps every 4th try).

So i think this is caused by this addon.

MfG Medicus

Yeah I had the same feelings, PKW_Mercs aren't still the best quallity. But whatever, use your options to allow cursor move like in ofp and you will forget about "not-realistic fov" !wink_o.gif

It really depends what kind of FOV you prefer. I would like changable FOV, variable zoom that you could change vision from 30-180 degrees. ArmA has zoom already but it doesn't stay. I would like zoom which stays on where you set it.

.http://img252.imageshack.us/img252....mg]

Aren't this the PKW Mercs in this pics?

Had a similar problem and also some displaced sights on weapons (perhaps every 4th try).

So i think this is caused by this addon.

MfG Medicus

yes those are the mercs but the first person view is the same also on stock units. I just saw that there was a bug with the grenadier of the pack which makes the nvg's visible from the first person view when you put them on. Fact is that the default camera POSITION is already wrong. We can adjust the FOV's by ourselves but to change that issue with the camera we must have permission from bi to alter the 3d-models of the basic units in arma. FOV's ar not bothering me but the positioning of the first person view camera and that neckbreaker look of your neck when you're lying on a steep surface and looking downwards

i experimented with BIS free soldiers and i got this

This is the standard-over-the-left-eye view of ARMA

standardbw8.jpg

this is what you get when you move the camera to the right eye

righteyeyearmatv4.jpg

see a difference? Is the edited better? if yes i would maybe consider to make a replacement addon...

I say yes, I'm not sure about the rest but I loathe the new FOV in 1.12, I prefer to have my characters viewpoint more accurate to what the 3D person model would show..of course the user config can only go so far without giving you a fisheye effect and weapons are still too far to the corner.

The second picture is much more accurate and rather reminds me of the good old OFP view..not the now more similar to arcade, so I set my vote for a hell yes.

Also would this be released as a view addon or would it be model specific thus needing current models to be opened and have their view moved around?

Fucking awesome, that's what i've expected since I played ArmA for first time.

Well, actually the first thing is a brand new PC, but this would be the second fucking awesome thing.

PS: How do you see through the sights? It's zeroed?

I think a camera-to-the-right-eye addon would be a big hit.

Indeed it would.... wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Arktan,

Sorry for the lack of information since I posted a long time ago in an old thread you made saying I was going to fix this when possible. A number of months ago I messed around in some of the "unofficial" mlods, testing and tweaking, then I saw bis released all the models, making it possible for a full release. I've just been busy and a little lazy as of late.

It's funny that everyone thought you were talking about FOV, heh.

Here's the + and - of this view change....

Positive

--------

- More accurate "fire from the hip" (less need for crosshairs)

- Greatly increased immersion

Negative

--------

- This change will be visible when in vehicles. Your view in jets specifically won't line up directly with the HUD, it will be shifted down and to the right.

Even though your view won't be perfectly aligned, it's still playable with that, but the UNCHANGED Pilot class should be used for flying jets (Anything with a hud, so jets and ka50).

My guess as to the reason why bis chose the view they did was because of the vehicle HUD issue, which is understandable. I would say though that most people would probably be ok with that small HUD issue to have the benefits in all the weapon handling aspects.

I have a pretty certain position adjustment that is the best balance all a round for standard rifles, higher sitting mahineguns, scoped weapons, pistols, and launchers.

I was going to possibly adjust rifleman, machinegunners, scoped rifleman differently to get a little more precise position, but that didn't make much sense since you change weapons all the time. So, every unit uses the same setting except for the pilot which will remain unchanged.

While I plan on releasing this soon, I can't say how soon. I want to still wait for the final arma patch before I update TrueMods that will include this and some "other things". It's up to you if you wanted to release an addon with your changes.