Sign in to follow this  
Mabes

ArmA on Steam

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=2780&cc=US

Atari released a bunch of their games via Steam and ArmA just happened to be one of them. I think that it's about time, Steam is a great way to distribute the game to others and I generally get around 700KB/s to 1.2MB/s when I download from their servers.

Hopefully Queen's Gambit will show up on here as well, that'll make it much easier to get for everyone. (I know sprocket and another site offer it, but I've heard nothing but problems with them, specifically if you reinstall Windows/format your drive and have to reinstall).

Fantastic :-) I know a critically acclaimed independent games developer whose sales quadrupled when they released their product on Steam.

Look forward to seeing Arma2 here as well.

That's an excellent new.

I hope the version we bought in shop can be registred in steam.

>I hope the version we bought in shop can be registred in steam.

That would be nice but unlikely since it would require cooperation between the publishers. The disk-based version of Bioshock I bought cannot be registered on steam for example.

Finally Atari joined the Steam revolution. As for the one guy said above you can't use your cd key on steam. You have to buy the steam version. However for epic coolies you can place a shortcut on steam for your version.

I will buy it again as soon as I have some money. Hopefully you guys get a good sales boost like stalker and other independent games. I'm sure Atari will put more up if the games they put up sell well.

welcome.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifnotworthy.gif

it's NA region only (because that's what ATARI covers) ...

i hope other regions (other publishers) follow or BIS does the rest of world directly (direct income is always good)

This is a good idea. ArmA can only benefit from Steam smile_o.gif

Shame about the NA only thing though sad_o.gif

Not that it's a major concern to me because I've already got ArmA biggrin_o.gif

(No QG on steam though...)

NA has gotten the shaft when it comes to ArmA release dates since day one, too bad though it's only for Combat Operations and not Queens Gambit as well.

It sure would be great though if BIS could look toward more of a world wide release platform on upcoming titles because getting a buddy to ship from Germany not only costs a fortune but it takes forever to arrive. sad_o.gif

it's about freeking time. nothing made me more frustrated then the old epic anti steam thread that used to be all the rage in the forums prior the release of ArmA. if this was available on Steam since day one, this game would have been far, far, far more successful. the steam user base is massive. also, the pure convenience of being able to download a game, have patches automatically download and install, plus the steam community features (incredibly clan/guild friendly and usefull)... i could go on, and on, and on...

but what is the point? well, i certainly hope to see QB soon since i can't seem to purchase anything from Sprokets.

As a Steam user i would say it's a brilliant software.

The best thing about Steam is NO DISK PROTECTION. My ArmA DVD looks horrobly right now.. I wonder how it gets verified for so long.

The only problem for me is price.. The dvd version in russia costs 12-18$.. I hope that ArmA2 over steam would be available in Russia for the same money.

As long they release ArmA II not exclusively over Steam it would be a good thing for BIS.

My ArmA DVD looks the same that it looks when it was delivered to me long ago. If you don`t take care of you`re CD/DVD`s it`s you`re fault if they refuse to work someday. wink_o.gif

Finally it is on Steam. Thank you almighty. Two things though:

1. Let us registar are current code on Steam.

2. Queen's Gambit damnit !!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me, is there anything easier than Steam?

Sit at ANY computer.

Load simple Steam client.

Download and play your games!!!

Sit at ANY computer.

Sure, but i don`t have, need, or want an credit card, so i can`t buy games over steam.

Even if i could, i like to have the Box, an printed handbook and the original DVD. wink_o.gif

Dwarden's Wetdream came true! Halleluja :-)

I guess it's a nice development, but since it's NA only, and Atari took care of this... is there actually much money that goes to BI? I always thought games would go directly from developer to Steam, not with Publisher in the middle, as Steam was some kind of 'publisher' :-)

Sit at ANY computer.

Sure, but i don`t have, need, or want an credit card, so i can`t buy games over steam.

Even if i could, i like to have the Box, an printed handbook and the original DVD. wink_o.gif

You can pay with Paypal can you, and afaik it doesn't require a creditcard.

Sit at ANY computer.

You can pay with Paypal can you, and afaik it doesn't require a creditcard.

I thought that paypal demanded a creditcard nowadays? confused_o.gif

As i posted, i prefer to have the Box, printed handbook and the original disc.

Even if i have to pay more than for the download, i like it "old style".

Some say just a bank account number, but I'm not sure on that.

As i posted, i prefer to have the Box, printed handbook and the original disc.

Even if i have to pay more than for the download, i like it "old style".

Yes but option to buy game from steam or similar is nice to have aswell. I prefer dvdcase with stuff aswell.

Mr. Tea,

That is the beauty of Steam. You don't have to buy from them. I NEVER HAVE. I buy the retail box for the same reasons as you and Steam then let's you input the license code. This lets you all the awesomeness of Steam.

My main reason for loving Steam is that you can load/reload YOUR games on any computer you are at. Examples are home/work computer, or when your computer dies and you have to reload Windows, or when you are upgrading to a new computer. Cannot get any easier than that.

Another reason is Clan/Guild/friends join feature. When you are on Steam it will tell you where your Clan/Guild/friends are playing and you just simply click to join the game they are on. Just plain awesome.

BIS should have done this from the start. Their user base would have been huge.

I´m not a bit interested in playing online, because in every game i have played online i found only cheaters.

I prefer a cheating AI over cheating human assholes, only SP for me and nothing else.

Dwarden's Wetdream came true! Halleluja :-)

I guess it's a nice development, but since it's NA only, and Atari took care of this... is there actually much money that goes to BI? I always thought games would go directly from developer to Steam, not with Publisher in the middle, as Steam was some kind of 'publisher' :-)

actually imagine STEAM as both publisher and store ...

that's why several big publishers thrown whole games portfolio on it ...

but nothing prevents developers to try sell title on STEAM directly

(but only new title , not already 'pwned' by various publisher deals)

I just re-bought Arma as Arma:Gold today in stores. Damn, why didn't someone tell me it was coming to Steam!? Good news nonetheless!

steam now takes paypal. do i know you? lol