Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

One little issue I've noted and cant seem to understand is that AI Ka's will fire on you with their at missiles, and because they have 12, often scoreing hits crippling the aircraft.

The first time I got in one of these I thought the ability to turn them on the ground was way too sensitive until I landed on the carrier an tried to turn an was glad I had the turn radius.

Yeah I thought that too..though I figured carrier aircraft need that maneuverability I thought it was a bit exaggerated, till I saw this.

just asking about the sound of the engines...in normal flight just cruising they sound way too quiet so maybe a little bit louder would scare some SLAgs biggrin_o.gif but other than that i have to say im very impressed by this..and its only only beta

@Call911-AGE-

That problem is directly attributed to the lack of a fz_weaponcmd unit. It's required for a dedicated server.

In FP, instead of using createUnit, I used createvehicle to create the weapon proxies. This meant they didn't need a group or anything else, they could simply be made. In ArmA, createvehicle with soldier class units doesn't seem to work as it did in FP, so as a result I was forced to create a workaround using createunit. The side effect is this requires a control unit, since if there's no group, createunit won't work. fz_weaponcmd is the unit that all the weapon proxies can temporarily join before being grpnull'd and finally 'killed'. If that unit doesn't exist, then the player is used.

Since dedicated servers don't have a player to bind to (such as a host in a non-dedicated game), the proxies cannot be created and as a result you get that error.

unfortunately the error still randomly pops up while playing. even with the unit on the map. i'm not complaining the only effect on gameplay is the weapons on the aircraft are not visible.

@wld427

If it randomly pops up, then it could be a synchronization error. I'm not entirely sure on this as I haven't seen the error in a long time. It could also have something to do with the quantity of F/A-18s being used/created at one time.

@F-16

So shoot the Ka-50s down first. smile_o.gif

For our map i have 2 F-18s one of each type for the players to use. most of our players have yet to master the handling charchteristics of the bird so usually there is only on flying. The error will come up even when nobody is using the aircraft.

again, no complaints, i love the aircraft.....

I ran into the error last night while testing; it occurred while using createvehicle to spawn additional aircraft. It was up for about 5 seconds and then vanished - everything worked fine afterwards.

@wld427

How often is your server up? I might be able to solve the issue if I can see what's happening in real-time.

...a workaround using createunit. The side effect is this requires a control unit, since if there's no group, createunit won't work. fz_weaponcmd is the unit that all the weapon proxies can temporarily join before being grpnull'd and finally 'killed'. If that unit doesn't exist, then the player is used.

you know that Arma has commands to create and delete groups?

QuietMan

@ Franze

I've played sometime with 0.4 version, now the trust with enanhcement on is OK, and you can go faster without using all the fuel in few seconds smile_o.gif

I really like the progress done with this addons, and I'm proud to have gived you some feedback, and see that you take care about me and other people suggestions.

Good Job Franze!

I've Flyed also with Grey version but they have some problems (GUN version) with weapons, when the weapons are fired the 3d models rest in place on the plane, I uploaded you a video if you need to understand the problem.

bug.avi

Can I send you a PM to ask some info, I'm thinking to convert and retexture some plane and eli from OFP, the author is Italian like me, and He will give me all the MLOD and the necessary for arma convertion, but I need just a little help from you for config and other stuff.

For Carrier development where I can post my feedback ? I see in the Nimitz credit that also you are working on IT, I must create an Armaholic Forum account?

For F18 development instead, what are you working to ?

Improved Afterburner Effects, and trust general effect ?

Working Tracer ?

Breaking Sound Wall Effect huh.gif

or you're like MaddMatt in the Caraibean Beach to well earned holydays after relase ? whistle.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Been using the non-single seaters the last cpl days or so, an the above error in server is gone. I must say 11 GBU 16's on load out owns!! Have probs with arming menu not giving me what i select, but I was using a normal ammo truck to do this an it may be me not doing somthing right on the arming menu (dunno) either way very nice. Other nite a guy in my server did one of those (air show)stall manuvers (non intentionally)ingame over a target that looked SOOO Cool I wished I could've taped it!!!!

HI again franze I got a lot of RPT spam

like this !!!

Error: Accessing undefined vertex bone references

with Only F18 on the map, I think was the carrier but no these RPT problem are from the Plane, This is a issues in MP environment!!!

please check

@quiet_man

No, I wasn't aware of that. I'll try them. Thanks! smile_o.gif

@Rubberkite

I'll try to get those bugs fixed as soon as I can. I'd trace the GUN problem to a glitch with the weapon fire script; I encountered it before but I thought I'd fixed it. The bone error is probably a result of old scripting attempting to animate or control nonexistent selections.

The F/A-18E/F is nearing the end of it's development life. It's been a good opportunity to learn from but it's age is beginning to show, so at this time I'm trying to fix as many bugs as possible and finalize it. I'm attempting to save new features for addons that can take full advantage of them.

If you need help, you can PM me; I can't say how quickly I'll get back to you however.

Heya dudes,

Franze ,is there any possibility that a static model could be made to help fill the deck of the carrier and for decoration aswell.

Thanx.

e.g.-

ss68.jpg

Any possibility to add birdstrikes as an additional hazard during approach and low level attack runs?

Given the sheer amount of seacocksuckers mad_o.gif (seagulls for those who haven't seen 'Trailerpark boys' ) at the coastlines of Sharani, you can kill them with a weapon, but when they collide with a plane or a helo, both fly away without any damage.

It surely would add realism, just think about it, you're on your ingress run and dive down to bomb a truck convoy when all of a sudden; *WHAM!!!* the canopy is pulverized and you sit there with bird guts and what's left of the HUD and canopy in your face.

You dont need a static version just make it locked and no one can use it. = Static yeah?

By way of static i mean no scripts/action or anything.

I made a cupple for our own private use in OFP and they worked great to make Airfeilds/carriers look more life like.

Realisticly, you'll never see one in a combat zone with less than 10 aircraft on deck.

Ive never been on a carrier before(The Norwegian Army doesn't start enough wars to justify the purchase of one tounge2.gif ) but i think the planes are always kept under deck when not being prepped, Also of course the crew can only work on a limited amount of planes at a certain time. I might be wrong though

Some static aircraft could be useful for mission makers, so that airports and carriers have more life like aspect. It would just be an empty object, without scripts, functions, without weapons, non moveable etc... This way, only the flyable ones are detailed and it saves a lot of CPU power !

I may be able to try this bird when my new computer arrives, at last ! From what I could read and see in this thread, this will be a very good addition to the game ! I'd like to see BIS planes updated to this standard, with all the functionalities (weapon selection, mainly). Would that be possible ?

Malick

@ANZACSAS Steve

Yes, a static non-functioning version can be added.

@Renegade Commando

I think that's probably beyond what we'll aim for on the F/A-18E/F. For the future... who knows?

@sparks50

The usefulness can be seen elsewhere, e.g. in cutscenes or vice versa, where a fully-functioning version isn't necessary.

@Malick

Adding to the BIS aircraft would be possible, but a very complex and demanding task. I've considered separating the weapon system so as to allow wider usage of the ammo, but the weapons need to be tailored for the aircraft/vehicle in question. I.e., just because a A-6 can carry a 6xMER doesn't mean a F-16 should be able to.

The weapon code alone for the F/A-18E/F takes up 3100 lines. It took more two days full-time to get it all written - which doesn't include scripting it. So while there's a possibility of doing a system for just about any vehicle, it is by no means a small and easy feat.

Any possibility to add birdstrikes as an additional hazard during approach and low level attack runs?

Given the sheer amount of seacocksuckers mad_o.gif (seagulls for those who haven't seen 'Trailerpark boys' ) at the coastlines of Sharani, you can kill them with a weapon, but when they collide with a plane or a helo, both fly away without any damage.

It surely would add realism, just think about it, you're on your ingress run and dive down to bomb a truck convoy when all of a sudden; *WHAM!!!* the canopy is pulverized and you sit there with bird guts and what's left of the HUD and canopy in your face.

As requests get ever more ridiculous, it's great to see someone finally asking for something that would improve the game!

I envision a mini-game along the lines of duck hunt....

TPB ftw

i can't say just how much this aircraft has exceeded my expectations! great work, Franze!

two small things i noticed tho:

the jet has a *really* small blast radius when it dies. odd, given a tank can cook off down the street and kill you, and a harrier can clear a small forest/town on impact, but with the F/A-18, you can be standing just outside it's wingspan when it blows and survive. (which also means if there are a lot of trees nearby that aren't felled in the blast, the F-18 cannot transform into the wreck model) it does, however, make ejecting at the absolute last second more survivable...

also, the ejector seat is practically invincible - you can eject while flying 5 metres off the ground, inverted, and it'll bounce off the ground and back into the air without killing you. also, it has a gunner position on it, dunno why.

The whole thing about the tank exploding violently is a bit overdone imo, tank's don't quite act that way in reality, yes you can take it and its crew down but rarely will it actually explode thanks to its own ammunition.

Similar effect here, if a helicopter or airplane crashes to the extent of a fire the bullets will generally pop and go off yes, but the missiles don't just explode instantly, this aircraft was made to be more around that area.

Usually when a helicopter crashes an explosion isn't even involved, the rotors or gear, maybe a few other things on the frame break but rarely does a fire come out..and in the times that it does it doesn't explode in such a violent manner unless hit by something to make it specificly explode.

As for the ejection seat..can't comment on that.

The whole thing about the tank exploding violently is a bit overdone imo, tank's don't quite act that way in reality, yes you can take it and its crew down but rarely will it actually explode thanks to its own ammunition.

Similar effect here, if a helicopter or airplane crashes to the extent of a fire the bullets will generally pop and go off yes, but the missiles don't just explode instantly, this aircraft was made to be more around that area.

Usually when a helicopter crashes an explosion isn't even involved, the rotors or gear, maybe a few other things on the frame break but rarely does a fire come out..and in the times that it does it doesn't explode in such a violent manner unless hit by something to make it specificly explode.

As for the ejection seat..can't comment on that.

you're probably right, i don't think having an explosion of vanilla proportions is right (hell, i've complained about that before myself) but i do think the damage radius needs a small kick. right now if the jet falls from the sky and blows up resting on a tree, it won't knock it down, and the jet remains wedged in place. i'm judging this off jet crash vids i've seen - the forces involved usually dictate that something within 10 metres or so would probably get extensively damaged.