Sign in to follow this  
the.d

Add On Compilation for more Realism and Immersion

In other news I'm hard at work on a AT-4 addon that does it right. I'm extending heavily off the REAL_M136 addon. Now it's going to be disposible tube, round doesn't take up inventory space, you carry more tubes in your inventory.

I believe Inkompetent has also been working on his addon. Maybe you should talk to him about it (edit- never mind that, I see you already did).

Getting the round to not take up inventory space without causing problems could be difficult.

Actually that part's easy.

I thought picking an M136 up from an ammo crate that also contained rockets would be problematic? If they don't take up space, then the game might try to put them all in your inventory.

Or just CTD whistle.gif

Just from memory. I'm not sure about it right now.

Thanks for the reassuring words, -snafu-! I understand it's quite an effort to go through this list but I'm glad to hear it's worth it :-)

I did the mission again and recorded it but YouTube didn't like it 'cos it was too long.

Anyway, for OPFOR Replacements did you consider frozzzen's infantry? They just feel right. RHS stuff as a replacement for North Sahrani's forces are a bit advanced whereas frozzen's stuff gives the feel of a large but poor communist army.

Frozzzen's Olive Drab Infantry

Frozzzen's KLMK Infantry

CSL already made a replacement pack for them here.

The.D and Delta99,

I am not using any of the addons marked (issues in multiplayer) because we play exclusively coop - which yes is multiplayer.  so we do not want any issues, so I do not use those addons.

as far as sight adjustment, just did not want to mess with it right now.  no problems per se...

I am not using Queen's Gambit, maybe that was the source of the TrueCrosshairVereran error which I resolved by putting that addon into the mix.

I did not move any .hpp files into my arma folder (I do NOT want to do that - this should be kept clean - that is what mod folders are for), nor anywhere else.  the OP did not state to do this.  is it just a normally know thing to do that or was it in the thread after the first page (definitely did not read all of them)?  i will create a dta folder in my mod folder and put those .hpp files in there and remove the TrueVeteranCrosshair mod and test again.

O.K. - that did not work...  is it because we do not have Queen's Gambit?

In addition, if the 6th Sense mod is not installed (i found this out setting up dedicated server) an error message comes up that says "Include file @6thSenseMod\SIX_Tools.hpp not found" and then clickiing O.K. quits the game.  So without 6th Sense installed using SIX_Tools seems like a no go (since it looks for the .hpp file in a particular path). Might be the same for SIX_UI and SIX_Tracer as well...

also, regarding ECS...  the replacement core.pbo you made to make it compatible with the other addons gets replaced when you patch it to 10151 (10151 includes a new core.pbo).  is 10151 o.k. to use and will it disable the intended mods?  or should we stick to 10150?  is there a modified 10151 core.pbo?  reason i ask is that even though i put 10151 in, after replacing core.pbo with your modified core.pbo the version shows 10150 in the UI screen (started me wondering about this aspect).

Thx!

In other news I'm hard at work on a AT-4 addon that does it right. I'm extending heavily off the REAL_M136 addon. Now it's going to be disposible tube, round doesn't take up inventory space, you carry more tubes in your inventory.

I believe Inkompetent has also been working on his addon. Maybe you should talk to him about it (edit- never mind that, I see you already did).

Getting the round to not take up inventory space without causing problems could be difficult.

Actually that part's easy.

I thought picking an M136 up from an ammo crate that also contained rockets would be problematic? If they don't take up space, then the game might try to put them all in your inventory.

Or just CTD whistle.gif

Just from memory. I'm not sure about it right now.

The fix for this is very simple. You never pick up these type 0 magazines yourself. They are never in your ammo boxes. They are added via script when you have the weapon. It also doesn't auto pick up the M136 magazines since those aren't valid weapons for the "real AT4" as currently configured.

O.K. - that did not work...  is it because we do not have Queen's Gambit?

In addition, if the 6th Sense mod is not installed (i found this out setting up dedicated server) an error message comes up that says "Include file @6thSenseMod\SIX_Tools.hpp not found" and then clickiing O.K. quits the game.  So without 6th Sense installed using SIX_Tools seems like a no go (since it looks for the .hpp file in a particular path). Might be the same for SIX_UI and SIX_Tracer as well...

also, regarding ECS...  the replacement core.pbo you made to make it compatible with the other addons gets replaced when you patch it to 10151 (10151 includes a new core.pbo).  is 10151 o.k. to use and will it disable the intended mods?  or should we stick to 10150?  is there a modified 10151 core.pbo?  reason i ask is that even though i put 10151 in, after replacing core.pbo with your modified core.pbo the version shows 10150 in the UI screen (started me wondering about this aspect).

Thx!

you dont need to use replacement core.pbo for ECS

10151, there is a plugin they made to make ECS working with XEH, DL it from their site

My goodness, Steel_WOF! Of course you have to use .hpp files in your ..\ArmA\Dta folder in order to make it work (exception: ..ArmA\@ECS\Bin\ - but that's somewhat different!)

It's not like these files will taint your installation in any way - and you can easily identify and remove them whenever you desire! There's a difference between keeping a clean game (which is fair enough with me!) and paranoia, don't you think? ;-)

Yeah, the latest ECS_Core is the one to use - I updated the guide some time ago - also make sure you're using Themis compatibility fix in order to properly initialize ECS in the XEH. My modified core-pbo is obsolete!

-snafu-, thanks for the suggestion - <s>I'll give these units a try later on. So far I am rather content with the current vanilla SLA soldiers, though. It'd be great if someone could just give them that really unique but accurate look that Cameron McDonald's 1st Infantry manages to convey!</s>

Marvelous, mate! You are absolutely right, these units fit in perfectly! This is going in the list; much appreciated, cheers! :-)

RH_M4/M16? Well those are still in progress so still arent much real ;p

gmJamez' "Sight Adjustment (Windage + Elevation)" windage is ok but elevation? ;s

Maddmatt's "Effects Mod" It kicks a$$

Wtf? Where are JOH_Marines?

I can also add that EVA(Extended Voice AddOn). With it, for example, we do not have

"Oh----No----6---is----down"

But

"Sh*t, MAN DOWN!"

; )

Erhem.. the lack of alternatives aside: RH's imported weapons get much closer to the real thing for their animations and texture work alone - not to mention the models themselves. Even if there were any alternatives (and there just aren't) it would be quite hard to reach that level of quality. Quite unapologetic: Don't use them if you don't like it, it's that easy, really. ;-)

Moreover, I take it you are referring to Johannes Wagner's (Joe) marines which are a great high quality add on and has been mentioned several times before - but it doesn't quite reach Cameron McDonald's_"1st Infantry Division" in terms of consistency, alignment and detail.

As for Matt's Effects, they are already in the list, or were you just.. being promotional..?

I like the idea about EVA - haven't checked back with the add on since it was released but it made a very promising impression. I remember we had compatibility issues when we first used it, but I am currently downloading and going to test several combinations - thanks for the idea! :-)

Edit: Wonderful, EVA still doesn't cover everything but does enhance the radio system by quite a bit. It particularly fits in when combined with ECS' dynamic voices - well done, nikita320106, and thanks for the hint, vultar!

thumbs-up.gif

Mr D love your guide is it possible you could put together a server pack? Only ones that come to mind to improve overall realism is Durgs Vegitation fix and ECS, any other ideas and suggestions for Server.cfg

it is not paranoia, it is keeping things stock and using mod folders...which is what the game is designed to accept. anal, yes...paranoid, no. wink_o.gif

i have not run addons before that require .hpp files to be put into the arma folders themselves. i also do not recall any addons needing this in OFP. it is new to me, not sure why you say 'of course'... sad_o.gif none of the other addons you have recommended require this either.

when running the 6thSense mod those files are not required in the arma/dta folder - they are in the 6th sense folder, and not even in dta - just in the root.

it seems to me that the real issue is hard coding the path in for the .hpp files instead of using relative directories.

so maybe there are two solutions:

-create a 'dummy' @6thSensemod folder and put just the .hpp files in there (note, they are in the root of 6thSensemod folder, not in the 6thSensemod/dta folder

or

-de-pbo the .pbo files and add the hpp file there and repbo it and/or change the hardcoded path to look one directory up or one directory up and in dta (i.e. ../*.hpp or ../dta/*.hpp).

thoughts?

Yeah I've done stuff like edit SIX things so as to internalize their .hpp files into the pbo

it is not paranoia, it is keeping things stock and using mod folders...which is what the game is designed to accept. anal, yes...paranoid, no. ;)

I'm sorry, I was only pulling your leg :-) I feel quite the same about this!

Quote[/b] ]i have not run addons before that require .hpp files to be put into the arma folders themselves. i also do not recall any addons needing this in OFP. it is new to me, not sure why you say 'of course'... :( none of the other addons you have recommended require this either.

Yep, that's true - again, sorry! This list isn't meant as a complete manual on how to run add ons though - I expect the interested reader to use the provided links to the respective add on threads to read them carefully. This is one reason why I didn't include direct download links - many set ups and add ons change very quickly and I think it's best to keep track of their respective add on threads.

Quote[/b] ]when running the 6thSense mod those files are not required in the arma/dta folder - they are in the 6th sense folder, and not even in dta - just in the root.

it seems to me that the real issue is hard coding the path in for the .hpp files instead of using relative directories.

so maybe there are two solutions:

-create a 'dummy' @6thSensemod folder and put just the .hpp files in there (note, they are in the root of 6thSensemod folder, not in the 6thSensemod/dta folder

or

-de-pbo the .pbo files and add the hpp file there and repbo it and/or change the hardcoded path to look one directory up or one directory up and in dta (i.e. ../*.hpp or ../dta/*.hpp).

thoughts?

Cool, I will give this a try - I am, as already stated, quite retarded when it comes to scripting and making add ons for ArmA :-) Sorry if i seemed a little harsh - I was just being ironic!

On other news: We decided to revert ECS to their previous version, with a slightly modified ECS_Core.pbo - to our surprise we experienced a lot less errors and a much better compatibility, especially with users that do not run ECS! <span style='color:red'>There is currently no need to use Themis Fix - please also note that this is solely for the purpose of this add on compilation and, although we have been testing and using this successfully for dozens of hours now, there is no guarantee for this to work with everything.</span>

Moreover, I take it you are referring to Johannes Wagner's (Joe) marines which are a great high quality add on and has been mentioned several times before - but it doesn't quite reach Cameron McDonald's_"1st Infantry Division" in terms of consistency, alignment and detail.

As for Matt's Effects, they are already in the list, or were you just.. being promotional..?

I like the idea about EVA - (...) - thanks for the idea! :-)

Edit: Wonderful, EVA still doesn't cover everything but does enhance the radio system by quite a bit. It particularly fits in when combined with ECS' dynamic voices - well done, nikita320106, and thanks for the hint, vultar!

thumbs-up.gif

Well, about quality... Well I dont like arm protectors. I don't think that JOH_Marines are worst, I could say bit better ^^

What's more, I think desert marines looks better with McNools Desert Veh, than the ACU ones. W/e ACU is still nice.

As for Matt's Effects, I just wanted to say that they kick a$$ xP

(and eat less fps than BIS effects[on my PC]) xP

About EVA, no problem, I just love this addon.

How about adding FFN replacement pack? It gives many many features such as dodge animations and CQB AI behaviour. With it, AI became soldiers who cares about their lives, not a melons to shoot like it was.

As much as I like the USMC addon it causes lag (for me anyway) when used in large numbers whereas the 1st ID addon does not have this problem (for me anyway).

FFN is also quite laggy when a number of units are running about.

The.D Posted on Mar. 25 2008

Quote[/b] ]On other news: We decided to revert ECS to their previous version, with a slightly modified ECS_Core.pbo - to our surprise we experienced a lot less errors and a much better compatibility, especially with users that do not run ECS!

Can't honestly understand what ECS Server could have to do with non-ecs clients unless there is a problem in the server-side mods (and the clients have those same mods) running. ECS can't interfere or cause issues with people that aren't using it.

Quote[/b] ] There is currently no need to use Themis Fix - please also note that this is solely for the purpose of this add on compilation and, although we have been testing and using this successfully for dozens of hours now, there is no guarantee for this to work with everything.

Please come to our forums and help us understand what problems you are apparently experiencing; it should be noted that Themis IS necessary for ECS to work with those mods, and using a modified ECS (like the one suggested on an earlier post) breaks ECS and it is unlikely that it is doing anything useful on your server?

FYI there is another update coming to fix some minor bugs, it would be useful to hear from you before we post that update.

As for system load, we just made a test mission (334 soldiers) on a single player client, and ran ECS (42fps) and w/o (44fps). If you are having FPS issues, you might look to at what you are running on your system, including addons.

The.D Posted on Mar. 25 2008
Quote[/b] ]On other news: We decided to revert ECS to their previous version, with a slightly modified ECS_Core.pbo - to our surprise we experienced a lot less errors and a much better compatibility, especially with users that do not run ECS!

Can't honestly understand what ECS Server could have to do with non-ecs clients unless there is a problem in the server-side mods (and the clients have those same mods) running. ECS can't interfere or cause issues with people that aren't using it.

Quote[/b] ] There is currently no need to use Themis Fix - please also note that this is solely for the purpose of this add on compilation and, although we have been testing and using this successfully for dozens of hours now, there is no guarantee for this to work with everything.

Please come to our forums and help us understand what problems you are apparently experiencing; it should be noted that Themis IS necessary for ECS to work with those mods, and using a modified ECS (like the one suggested on an earlier post) breaks ECS and it is unlikely that it is doing anything useful on your server?

FYI there is another update coming to fix some minor bugs, it would be useful to hear from you before we post that update.

As for system load, we just made a test mission (334 soldiers) on a single player client, and ran ECS (42fps) and w/o (44fps). If you are having FPS issues, you might look to at what you are running on your system, including addons.

Yes, it's weird alright! I sincerely hope you guys aren't mad at me for this core.pbo modification; I didn't see much point in discussing this as this was discovered merely by trial and error and I have NO clue what's going on here, script-wise.

All I did was using the aforementioned ECS_Core.pbo by sickboy (uploaded by Matt Rochelle), edited it by removing the "preload" entries (no big deal) and left Themis out (again). So it's the same as the first setup, when ECS first got "public".

Can't argue with the results:

Clients can most definitely connect to my dedicated server (as was possible before the ECS patch) and - while two of my friends and myself are using ECS (modified version, tweaked core.pbo and set-up .hpp files according to your readme + sound immersion + AI enhancements, not using armory, tracers and quiet) - a client who is not using ECS (we made sure he wouldn't) is able to connect without any errors.

Of course, that person wasn't able to perceive any of ECS' sound immersion but he did experience the AI enhancements, as they were (mostly?) calculated by us/server. Also note I am not using the server version of ECS, I just run a normal dedicated server without any all too limiting parameters ("D:\Games\Armed Assault\beta\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg -profiles=Profiles -netlog -port=xxxx -mod=beta, to be precise) and ECS is fully functional when connecting.

Themis fix is a great idea - though I'm too dumb to really understand the details at this point - and was definitely the only way to make SIX tracers work after the ECS patch. However, the "old", tweaked version allows compatibility with all mods discussed in this thread without giving up the desired benefits of ECS (namely immersing sounds and AI) - and it's a lot leaner than the compatibility "workaround". (I like to only use what's really needed, if I could I would just extract all models needed for those replacement packs used in this thread and put it into two or three .pbo files)

I hope that was at least of some help to your cause - I don't know jack shit about it, I just happened to have found a way to make it work the way we wanted it - and with that I'm quite happy :-)

NP - guess i did not pick up on the sarcasm.  smile_o.gif

we will stick with 10150 and modified core.pbo for now til you and the ECS crew get it worked out.

i am sure i will have more questions in the near future as soon as i have time to get working on this again...

EDIT: BTW, the reason I get the TrueCrosshairVeteran message when using SIX_UI is because this is in the cfgPatches.hpp file in the SIX_UI.pbo:

requiredAddons[] = {"CAUI","CAFonts","CAData","TrueCrosshairVeteran"}

;

i fixed the issue when there is no 6thSense mod installed.  i modified the config files with the SIX_*.pbo files (that are used and required it - Tracers, UI, and Tools) and put the .hpp files in those pbo's.  if anyone wants them because they do not have the full 6th sense mod (i.e. a dedicated server for this mod compilation) send me a PM.  the downside is that they are not fully accessible to modify the settings within them, but i do not intend to mess with the default settings.

getting this error when i try to use the weapon model replacemenet pack

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierPB.scope'

and i already give up on trying to make Q11 wind addon fully functional

other then these all stuff works fine

4 in 1,

i think i might know your issue... did you use the rh_aks_109.pbo?

i know the readme says to use it, but with it i get that error and when i remove it i do not get this error...

the error is gone but the weapon still the old one, anyway i have given up on trying confused_o.gif

It's funny how much time one spends modifying Armed Assault - I'd be particularly interested in a "time spent enjoying the game the way it should be / spent time on trying to get ArmA the way it should be" ratio - it has to be way below "1" ;-)

Thanks for the update, Steel_WOF, sounds promising - I'll try it myself tonight.

Joker and Archer contacted me and took the time to explain ECS for a bit (as far as I was able to follow, anyway) - to make this absolutely clear: the version discussed in this thread is merely a pared-down, server-disabled variant of the real thing. To fully appreciate ECS, one has to run ECS (Dedicated Server Version) and join in with the latest client version. I am discussing the "lite" integration here, as to take benefit from their amazing sound immersion system (dynamic voices, environmental sounds) and possibly their AI enhancements (although Joker and Archer made clear it's solely server-sided it did[/] work, if my imagination didn't play tricks on me)

Long story short: Check out their page and take a look at the whole thing! They're very helpful and friendly!

Hi, i don't know if you already know about This Addon but it makes it

everything better at the time of drop any human portable stuff like

magazines etc. Let's C ya

Hi, i don't know if you already know about This Addon but it makes it

everything better at the time of drop any human portable stuff like

magazines etc. Let's C ya

see 2.1 wink_o.gif This addon is definitely a must-have! tounge2.gif

There's a little important update to this addon anyways - signatures! biggrin_o.gif