Sign in to follow this  
the.d

Add On Compilation for more Realism and Immersion

Hey there! "ultra_ai=1" is based on purely empirical tests.

As far as I can tell AI tends to get rather "unfair" in terms of reaction times (try walking 'round the corner with an enemy rifle pointing on the location at different AI aggression levels with and without ultra_ai)

I suggest you turn down these settings a bit and stop when a balanced level is reached.

Personally I like it.. erh.. rough.. so to say. In Warfare, an enemy (ai-controlled) MG Nest should pose a severe threat for an incoming HUMVEE at < 300m and AI snipers (as frustrating as it may be at times) should really be sneaky bastards that might take you down without you even spotting them in time.

By all means, play with the settings, see how they work out best for you and your squad - the fan-improved AI is still based upon BIS' original of course and generally flawed so there's no sure solution to make it perfect in any way. It's also very dependent on mission parameters, coop design and internal scripts. :-)

In another note I wanted to thank Gilles of the GIBF squad for his testing efforts and messages regarding the list and the dedicated server he kindly supplied for us. Merci beaucoup!

The reasoning behind why you've set yours up as you have helps a lot, thanks!  smile_o.gif

We want to the AI to put a lot of fire down on us so we have to apply tactics, but we don't want the sting of getting headshotted too often since we rarely use respawn.

Time for some tinkering...

In another note I wanted to thank Gilles of the GIBF squad for his testing efforts and messages regarding the list and the dedicated server he kindly supplied for us. Merci beaucoup!

Hi The-D smile_o.gif

It is really a pleasure to test and play with you. Your idea to make this thread is fantastic, this is really a great job my friend  notworthy.gif

I'm happy that my server ... hmm no i must say now our teams server thumbs-up.gif named "GIBF / V-War!  100Mbit" is useful for us to play and test ArmA (=> Core2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz - 100Mbit)

with these parameter :

Quote[/b] ]...\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg -profiles=Profiles -mod=DBE1;@ECS;@Server

PS : this Arma server is running as service (not as consol server), thanks to the software "Arma_ServerMonitor" and thanks to his creator wink_o.gif

I also want to thanks all the addons's creator present in this trhead (and the other too) => GREAT JOB GUYS notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

Cheers,

BB

I have been playing arma with the following combination of MODs, using 1.14. I seem to be getting great gameplay, smart AI (Slx), Great Effects (ECS)

However am I using extra mods that overwrite the others, some insight into this will be great! By the way, SLX makes the game lot better!!

Dbe1;beta;armaeffects;NWD_Ballistics;SIX_Pack1;SIX_Pack3:SIX_Pack3:TruegameplayMods;truemods;SLX;ECS;CSM

@The.D

If you want you can add this to the list. There is now a possibility to get wounds/drag system from SLX to work as standalone.

ok here as promised my info about how I got wounds/drag system from SLX to work standalone:

- First: all credit goes to Solus for making SLX and providing the files modular for wounds/drag.

- Second: download all the new files that have been uploaded from Solus to Filefront. (files from 10th Sep 2008) Make sure you are using ONLY these files!

http://hosted.filefront.com/SLXSolus/

- Make an addon folder like @SLX in your ArmA directory, inside this folder make an addons folder.

- You need only these files to get to work wounds/drag system:

- SLX_Wounds.pbo

- SLX_Cloud.pbo

- SLX_Arma_Voices.pbo

- SLX_Shout

- SLX_NetCode.pbo

Additionally make sure you have the latest Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo installed in any modfolder as an addon. (right now version 1.9 is up to date)

You don't need any Bin folder or Data folder installed from SLX, to get to run wounds/drag system. It should work as a standalone without error. At least for me it works!

Optional:

Aditionally you can install these pbo's without the need of the Bin folder, to get SLX vehicles to work:

- SLX_Veh.pbo

- SLX_Veh_c.pbo

Optional 2:

Aditionally you can install these pbo's without the need of the Bin folder, to get SOME functions of Group Link 3 to work:

- SLX_gl3.pbo

- SLX_ai_dispersion.pbo

- SLX_findcover.pbo

- SLX_misc.pbo

- SLX_xms.pbo

If you want to gain some FPS and to prevent to break some missions (because of GL3) then install additionally these files:

- SLX_NoSuppress (allows another Suppression addon to work like the superb six_sys_suppression along with SLX!

- SLX_NoManeuver (prevents units being called to help other units, and prevents AI using vehicles that are unmanned. You lose some features when you install this, but gain some FPS and a lot of missions won't break!

Optional 3:

You can additionally install these two pbo's to get a black loading screen instead of the QG loading screen's: (this still doesn't need the Bin folder in you @SLX folder.)

- SLX_loading.pbo

- SLX_loadingblank.pbo

THE FOLLOWING FEATURES WORK ONLY CORRECTLY IF THE BIN FOLDER IS INSTALLED IN THE @SLX FOLDER AND THE NEEDED PBO FILES ARE INSTALLED IN THE ADDONS FOLDER OF THE @SLX FOLDER:

- dodging AI

- changed radio protocol

- SLX animations

- SLX effects

- SLX weapons

you need the following pbo's and of course the Bin folder:

- SLX_mod.pbo

- SLX_ModCore.pbo

- SLX_ModPeople.pbo

- SLX_ModWeapons.pbo

- SLX_ModWeapons_c.pbo

- SLX_ModWeapons_Replacement.pbo

- SLX_Nwdfixes.pbo

- SLX_RadioProtocol.pbo

- SLX_Anims.pbo (!! note: you need the old file, not the SLX_Anims_c.pbo !!

- SLX_ShotEffects.pbo (needed for the dodging of AI when being shot at. Although I changed the main config to use SIX tracers which are better. See the info from thunderbird84 in this thread how to do it.)

To get to work any weapon replacement packs, you need to unpbo the corresponding files and add to the line of required addons "SLX_ModWeapons" then the replacement packs will work with SLX mod. (Note!: if the replacement config is binarized then it will not work. It has to be a .cpp file!

Until here it is the SLX install I use. The following files I have left out and it works alright without them.

Left out pbo's:

The following pbo's I have left out in my install of SLX because it doesn't add any important funcionality or effects IMHO:

- SLX_Effects.pbo

- SLX_Enginestart.pbo (really annoying, and AI doesn't wait)

- SLX_Kegspect.pbo

- SLX_Loadout.pbo

- SLX_Melee.pbo

- SLX_Melee_give.pbo

- SLX_Modt72.pbo

- SLX_Modvehicles.pbo

- SLX_ModWeapons_Sounds.pbo (to get to work sound mods)

- SLX_Reloadshout.pbo (ECS is doing the job better)

- SLX_Sky.pbo (I'm using MODUL sky, it's better)

- SLX_Vehicleeffects.pbo

- SLX_Vehiclesmokelaunchers.pbo

- SLX_Wind.pbo

If you have any questions, feel free to pose them in this thread. I will answer them as long as I can. Once again: All credit for all the features and files goes to Solus! Make sure you read through the whole thread since there are some very good suggestions made by thunderbird84 and Karaya1 to optimize SLX to get it run more smoothly. Also there is a improved SLX_Veh.pbo by zGuba in thread which improves FPS also.

Edited by Kroky on Nov. 03 2008,23:51

Wow, long thread. Didn't read it all but I did take a stab at downloading some of the addons on page one. One thing that wasn't clear is whether or not all of the addons would work together or not. I'd rather not experiment as it would take a long time to figure out which addons is borking things up. If only I could find someone who has a really good addon setup that works with all SP mission and have them upload their addon folder :-)

Hey there!

First of all, sorry for the late reply! I am currently unable to maintain list updates - there are some pretty neat things out there that I would love to test but I just lack the time. I do not have a date as to when I'm back to the forums, sadly. There are other things on my mind right now that need my full attention.

Thank you very much for your elaborate post, Kroky. It'd be a blast to include certain SLX features into the game!

nuggetz: All of the addons mentioned here should work together without issues - it's a question of loading order and removing some files from compilations. For the sake of compatibility I decided to leave out a lot of promising add ons, like SLX or XAM, for instance. This list isn't by far a "ultimate list of add ons one has to try", but merely a suggestion. Personally I have about 90% of the files running when I start a coop. But my advice is to use as few addons as possible and just enough to change essential gameplay elements (AI behaviour, sounds, control elements) to one's personal taste.

I'd really like to thank everybody who participated in the creation of this list with their ideas, their input and suggestions and helpfulness; you kept this thing going!

Lastly, a huge Thank You to the fine people who come up with all these great enhancements, of course! You guys made ArmA use its full potential and, who knows, you might already have inspired BIS in the development of ArmAII - one of the very few games I am actually looking forward to nowadays.

Thank you all!

PS: Don't fall for EA! ;-)

I have tried to gather all this. Something was removed, something is added, but now in game it looks well!

If someone wishes download it, you can take the program http://utorrent.com/download.php

and to take torrent here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent....ssault.

Though I tried, that all worked well, but nobody is insured from mistakes and nobody wants for anything to answer.

So, I hope for your understanding. Do not blame strictly for diligence for you..

Hi guys I want to start playing some mods can I install ACE,FDF and slx without them conflicting with eachother do they work independently?

Heya buddy,

Just wanted to thankyou sooo much for giving this community a well laid out, clear definition of available addons aimed at realism. I for one have used your thread extensively and always found it useful.

Also, something alot of people may not know, but whilst you were working hard on updating this list/thread you also made time to playtest HiFi FX...Always offering your honest opinion and some great sources for various sounds, so once again, Thank You for the time & effort you've put into this community, I for one applaud you..

notworthy.gif

Sincere Regards

Mark XIII

I already for a long time want to play in it on a network. I offer somebody to place it on a server for free downloads.

Thank you very much for those kind words, Mark :-) I am really flattered!

Concerning the future of this thread: Recently, I did not have much time and motivation to go through all the great new features that arrived since the last update of the first post (especially after my GPU went to hell). I am, however, currently testing the "compatibility" with A.C.E. - Bluntly put: A.C.E. takes care of 90% of the enhancements discussed in here and even adds a lot more useful, practical features! Before looking at any of the files in here, have a look at this piece of art! Many, many thanks to the people who contributed to create this beauty!

I am going to completely rework the compilation and include a (minimum!) number of files that will further enhance A.C.E. without compatibility issues. I will probably remove a large number of old entries since this will be a complete overhaul. No offense implied to any of the add on authors!

adam264: I did take a look at the file package and it seems quite a thoughtful collection. I suggest we redesign the torrent, however, to go properly with A.C.E..

why this mod topic is pined ?

it is one of mods - not fair to others

and why you use word "for more realism" when you use addons less realistic ??

i don't like this

it is one of mods - not fair to others

Which mod? Can you name it?

vilas:

Quote[/b] ]it is one of mods - not fair to others

Read it again, this is not a mod, it's a list of Plug and Play addons that can enhance gameplay without changing the mission files.

Quote[/b] ]and why you use word "for more realism" when you use addons less realistic ??

Could you be more specific? Which addons are less realistic?

(and for the love of god, don't start about RobertHammers weapons again)

there are many mods, why they are not pinned ?

why only _D mod is pinned huh.gif

it is called "compilation for more realism" huh.gif

what is realistic in models and addons that are less realistic than others??

Fidelis Russians? why not RHS is pinned?

why not HWM, my, RACS, IDF, ADF, ACE , are not pinned huh.gif

why the name it "for more ralism" ?

is it real when weapon looks the same at right and left side of receiver ?

i don't like that ONE of mods is pinned while others NOT

Little bit offtopic, but I do wonder sometimes whetever Vilas has anything better to do than whine constantly...?

No mod is pinned.  This is a list of mods that are very realistic, and it's constantly updated.  For those people that want realistic mods, they can look in this list to try and find what they're looking for instead of going through years of posts to try and find the one they want.

Vilas, try chilling out and looking through what this thread is about.  It's not about ONE mod, it's about a whole bunch of mods.

If someone wants to download the compilation as a single mod, they're more than permitted, but this list isn't so much about that compilation as it is about providing the community with an alternative to trying to sift through thousands of little addons.

The mods that you mentioned add a ton of features, while this list is only trying to improve vanilla ArmA features (unit replacements, soundmods..).

You're right about Fidelis Russians, they probably shouldn't be there because its Russian units, not SLA (and SLA aren't directly Russians). So far there is very few units that would wear SLA patches instead of Russian ones.

Quote[/b] ]... when weapon looks the same at right and left side of receiver

That is a compromise because Robert_Hammers weapons* have better visual quality (the models are created from scratch) than edited BIS models and all Roberts weapons are fully animated.

* Yes, I know that RH weapons are imported usermade models (with permission) from Source engine based games.

My dear Vilas, the compilation received rather positive feedback so far; it seems as though a majority of forum users refer to this thread as a basic help for game content enhancements. Personally I never asked for this to get a sticky, but I was surprised and happy to see it actually helped people.

Now, the "more realism" concept, this gets clear by reading the introduction, is naturally referring to vanilla game content which was rather atrocious compared to the brilliant custom-made add ons. Please do remember this is a game, after all, and as much as the simulation component contributes to a unique game play (thank you very much BIS), we (my friends, I and presumably many more players) do not see the need for 100% correctly aligned models, as long as they are at least animated and sound nice.

To be clear, excuse my polemics: You will never get a 100% realistic game for it wouldn't be a game. It wouldn't be fun to take a break every twelve in-game hours and to have to take a virtual shit in the woods via the mouse wheel menu would it?

The list also does by far not cover all of the great add ons out there. I only included stuff that will actually affect original, vanilla game content (replacements, gameplay enhancements) without adding too much actual new content.

If I knew how and had permission I'd even extract the model files of the weapons and infantry packs and directly include them into a customizable replacement.pbo's.

However, there is no trouble at all replacing weapon and infantry models suggestion with your own packs should you prefer so.

This list also is, as already stated several times, not a "mod" it is merely a crude listing of game enhancements that work together. It is up to the user what to add in there and what to leave out. Many of these files work well with ACE, SLX, ECS and many more but the testing for compatibility issues and trying to fix scripting conflicts would be quite a killer for my other hobbies and interests.

I agree that SLX, ECS, ACE and the likes deserve stickies (for their efforts and their impressive results), but the problem is this:

In an add on centered game such as OFP and ArmA, it is crucial to let the user decide what features to use and what to omit. Within this add on list, we merely mention several individual works and tell users how to combine them. Preferably after their own fashion and likes.

Most of the big mods aim to add "too much" to the game and become inflexible and may even lack in quality in some areas.

So far only ECS added just what I personally needed without going "over the top". It also let me disable everything I did not want. As great as, for instance, A.C.E. is (and, don't get me wrong, I am more than impressed with many of the results, and I absolutely recommend it - not to mention the common fan-made add ons unification effort), it also brought a certain "chaos" to my game, which I am not too fond of. I'm currently trying to find a way to "isolate" the ingenious tracers, view shake and movement features, to play around with. For personal use, of course, and to see if they can somehow be included to the compilation, until a "non-beta" A.C.E. is released.

Finally, I do not really understand the reason why you posted this in here. Seems to me you would rather like this thread to be "un-stickied" than others get "stickied", which would seem like rather infantile behaviour to me. Granted, maybe that's just me.

I've received heart-warming support from many community members so far and if anything I have a bad conscience of not being able of putting the full effort in the list.

I (and a lot of people) want an addon that makes the AI really dangerous.

They should shoot with the accuracy of human level and have the same chances to kill me on the field like I kill them.

Now i (and a lot of other players) have no problems to wipe out a squard with rifle or sniper rifle.

EDIT:

I will try ECS, as you say. THX

I used ECS AI + truemods AI in my compilation. I also tweaked the AI settings in my userprofile. The AI became deadly and took initative and had the accuracy as you.

I also use DAC so the enemy is quite smart.

So I recommend that, look in this thread how to do with ECS.

The best long-range engagement AI so far? A.C.E., definitely!

But you can get good results by tweaking the difficulty settings (esp. enemy accuracy values) and use True gameplay ai.

What andersson described is perhaps currently the best way to achieve a stalking, flanking, well-balanced, smart AI that's good in long-range as well as close quarter battle situations, so yeah... :-)

Edit: never mind, I posted in the SLX thread - zGuba will see it there sooner.