Sign in to follow this  
Kristian

Ragdoll

I think its time for BIS to add ragdoll in their games, I know there are many others who want this, but I understand that some dont. It would much more realistick and nicer, if the engine would have RD. I know it is NOT just that adding ragdoll would be peace of cake, but all new games have ragdoll and Its time for BIS to add it too.

or, then not. what if some of u think that it takes too much memory or something? what if you want BIS games to be different? what if you hate bis games?

well I dont know but all I would LIKE, that this game would have ragdoll, or then solution for bad computer owners as CoD4 has, you can turn gagdoll on/off from options ass ur comp can run.

wink_o.gif

lets hear what you have to say:

Haha, gagdoll, I love it.

Maybe with multi-core support this feature would run acceptably well. If ragdoll is taking cycles away from AI precision, then I would have to say that the AI behaviour is more important.

what if you want BIS games to be different? what if you hate bis games?

then i wouldn't be playing BIS's games.

i play BIS games because i love what they have done.

its different then the rest of the cookie-cutter type games that the big companies keep puking up and feeding us *cough* COD4 *cough*

[Offtopic]im sick of all these kids complainning about how much they hate BIS games, and yet still play them and still post on these forums.

dont like the game? find another.[/Offtopic]

I like ragdoll. To be honest I can't think of a recent FPS that doesn't have it.

Ragdoll creates difficulties with MP play. Most games with ragdoll simulate the ragdolls clientside, but as players never interact with bodies (only dropped weapons), it's not an issue to have bodies in different places on different computers. In Arma, players interact with the dead bodies directly, which means that bodies must be in the same position after death on every machine. This means that the ragdoll position would need to be synchronized across all machines; the position of each bone would need to be transmitted. Currently, only the animation state & position are transferred, which is a much lower network load than if the ragdoll position were transferred.

Ragdoll animations also give a CPU hit, and though this is less of an issue with multi core systems, I don't want my system pausing when 10 or 20 soldiers die at once and all engage their ragdolls.

If ragdoll were implemented without a significant bandwidth or CPU hit (and were properly done, like in RO as opposed to BF2), I would support it.

Yeah it's about time we see ragdoll... It would increase realism and immersiveness in a few ways.

Firstly, no more recycled death anims. After a while of playing OFP/Arma you see them all, and they become predictable. Same with the death poses - which currently IMO are a bit melodramatic. Also, I think it would be cool if weapons could be dropped at death. This would reduce the ease and predictability of finding weapons.

Second, I'm getting tired of seeing bodies cantilevered off a structure. It's definitely an immersion killer which ragdoll would remove.

Multiplayer is problematic, however. Personally I think it would be worth implementing ragdoll just for SP and using standard anims in MP.

What then about a chest position synchronized by server (XYZpos and XYZdir) and all limbs being played locally ?

Well the fact you can be protected by some( )body limb is the problem. If it was just "addaction" or gear interaction, it would be simple to solve.

Maybe, yes, using anims on MP (horrible to make difference, and would increase data size, but...) solves the problem;

or doing that a limb doesn't stop a bullet. Yuck, I'm gonna puke.

Possibly hard to bring that into ArmA2 as it will already be very CPU demanding witht he new AI but a ragdoll system is very high on my wishlist.

Especially when you see a body of a death soldier stand upright because he died on a stair or a little hill in his fixed death anim it just looks odd.

Possibly hard to bring that into ArmA2 as it will already be very CPU demanding witht he new AI but a ragdoll system is very high on my wishlist.

Especially when you see a body of a death soldier stand upright because he died on a stair or a little hill in his fixed death anim it just looks odd.

Thats right, maybe they could add a bit like "flexibility" for dead bodys (much like ragdoll) but self-programmed...

I don't know how that goes with Ragdoll, means how much it cost to license it and so on - self made can be better....

Just my 2cents.

Regards, Christian

Call me necrophobic, but personally I don't understand this fixation with dead bodies. Whether I'm playing a game with or without a ragdoll system, I don't spend much time staring at dead bodies. I only pay attention to them if I am to loot them or if they start walking.

tounge2.gif

Call me necrophobic, but personally I don't understand this fixation with dead bodies. Whether I'm playing a game with or without a ragdoll system, I don't spend much time staring at dead bodies. I only pay attention to them if I am to loot them or if they start walking.

tounge2.gif

For me it really helps the overall atmosphere. Like in Rainbow Six 3, It was very satisfying to bust into a room and shoot a guy in the head and see him go limp and drop to the ground or use the explosives and see a body smack against the wall before dropping to the ground.

It also makes the weapons feel more powerful when you are able to see your targets head snap back or his body jerk with each impact.

Ragdoll and Realism are two different things.

We already had this discussion related to ArmA 1, some time ago. huh.gif

I love ragdolls. One solution to decrease the CPU hit is to make the model a static object after it falls. They used it in Brothers in Arms series. Of course that will not make it less in the momentum of the kill but that way you can have many corpses in the field with the same performance that you have in Arma.

I believe they add a lot of immersion.

Second, I'm getting tired of seeing bodies cantilevered off a structure.

I'd take cantilivered over the ridiculous poses rag doll death can lead to...

I think that Ragdoll would be implemented in SP mode only. For sychnronizing whole physic packets in multiplayer it's worthless. Presently ArmA got some problems with lag and desync in MP so just think how would it be if you had to load next parts of packets - just death. So I prefer ragdoll in SP only but in daily multiplayer world entertainment like humanVScomputer is going down on the farther plan and wasting time on it is completly nonsense.

I can think of many features BIS should rather spend time on. And many of those don't require near as much time to implement, or are as worthless as ragdoll.

nowdays ragdolls wont have the problem as BF 2 had. a great example is CoD4 MW, the ragdoll is beatyfull in it, and it doesnt make funny or ugly positions in it. all looks quite good.

nowdays ragdolls wont have the problem as BF 2 had. a great example is CoD4 MW, the ragdoll is beatyfull in it, and it doesnt make funny or ugly positions in it. all looks quite good.

ORLY. I've seen some pretty ridiculous stretching and hanging, and I don't even play it. I was watchign someone else play it.

I can think of many features BIS should rather spend time on. And many of those don't require near as much time to implement, or are as worthless as ragdoll.

I wouldn't say it was worthless. These types of damage effects add a great deal of immersion + satisfaction in war games. Ideally, ragdoll/revamped animas. plus a dynamic building destruction would leave for some jaw-dropping experiences say after a bombing run or blitzkrieg. I understand the MP concerns but having it in SP would just about make my day.

ORLY. I've seen some pretty ridiculous stretching and hanging, and I don't even play it. I was watchign someone else play it.

Look at Kane&lynch or The Darkness. Both have very good ragdolls.

I would not mind if they implemented it but I would not encourage it. I think there are both pros and cons with ragdolls and I dont think its worth the time I belive it takes to implement it.

Implementing ragdoll in MP is no problem, but the problem is synchronizing flying bodies (and their equipment) in one place. In BF2 physic works on the client side so a corps synchronizing does not exist. I don not know how about COD4, but I guess that there is synchronizng left weapons only.

Hmm. I have this little game here called Mount & Blade (excellent game btw) and it has a good solution for performance issues with ragdolls: you can either turn on or off the effect through the menu or you can set up how many ragdolls you want to allow at the same time. So you can set up if you want 5, 10, 15, etc ragdolls at the same time and after they fall, they become static allowing other ragdolls with little performance effect. Works great.

I rather other things were implemented or fixed, before adding needless eye candy.

Lets be honest, once you've all ooo'ed and aaah'd over the first 10 or so ragdoll kills, and maybe the following few funny ragdoll moments/poses where you amaze us all by your maturity and stack dead bodies so they appear to be fornicating with each other, then it'll lose its novelty and become a waste of much needed CPU. At any rate, on average you're engaging soldiers at far greater distance that in any linear corridor bore fest FPS, so the lovely bendy people won't actualy serve any visual purpose, unlike the up close and personal nature of most FPS.

You're right that any FPS worth its salt has rag dolls... but not many FPS can boast the insane free space that ArmA 2 can, if not none at all. I can happily 'sacrifice' goofy ragdoll for that any day. As long as everything works as it should, and they add a few gucci genuinely useful extras in (such as shooting from vehicles, slinging cargo etc) then its perfect.

Although, on the contrary, some sort of compromise that prevents the utterly annoying 'stuck in mid action' death, or the anims defy clipping issues and you lose bodies into houses/stairs/trees, but doesn't drain a cpu, would be nice.