Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

There is a big preview (6 pages) with many new infos and screenshots in the German PC-Games.

Sadly my scanner is broken but I'll give you some facts:

- The new Island Chernarus (the mag describes it as country, so I don't know if it's really an island anymore) shall be 230 sqare km in size. The name means translated into english Blackrussia. (I'm not sure with this one, because in German you call Belarus also Whiterussia)

- The landscape is made after an original landscape in CZ

- In this country pro communist forces strike against the democratic government and try to get back to russia. But their atempt fails and so they declare the Social republic of Charnarus. The remaining democratic forces now ask the West for help and the USA are sending their forces. It takes place in 2009.

- You don't play one anonym soldier anymore, but someone out of a small 5-man team, called Razor from the US Marine Corps. You can also switch between the members if you want.

- More than 50 weapons and more than 50 vehicles

- Online gaming with up to 50 players

- There shall be RPG elements (like talking to civilians)

- In the new view called High-level-command your troops can be navigated like in a strategy game.

- AI will be better (Called micro AI. Will be able to move precicely through the enviroment)

- The Editor will have a 3D Mode

So far, the screenshots really look promising and I'm quite exited about the game smile_o.gif

Vehicles I can spot:

The long wanted Osprey

Good old MI-24

AH-1

Huey

M1A1

And many weapons, but I don't know their names.

Further there are train tracks, the trees look really cool in some kind of autumn style and the grass also looks a lot better smile_o.gif

Edit

There are also some infos about 1.12 (next patch for ArmA) but I will post them in the correct thread)

- In the new view called High-level-command your troops can be navigated like in a strategy game.

- AI will be better (Called micro AI. Will be able to move precicely through the enviroment)

- The Editor will have a 3D Mode

Edit

There are also some infos about 1.12 (next patch for ArmA) but I will post them in the correct thread)

WOOHOO! This sounds interesting.

YAY For the 3d editor! That's one thing that I was hoping for, seeing how it's just hard to place a nice row of sandbags in ArmA without jumping in and out all the time. YAY!

1.12 patch? Where are you going to post that?

Exciting.

Nothing real new... maybe we will see some new pics at arma2.com?

Quote[/b] ]The Editor will have a 3D Mode

Sorry this is not an 3D-Realtime editor. One version is to have an preview eg. you can only see and rotate objects - nothing more.

- The new Island Chernarus (the mag describes it as country, so I don't know if it's really an island anymore) shall be 230 sqare km in size. The name means translated into english Blackrussia. (I'm not sure with this one, because in German you call Belarus also Whiterussia)

That is correct.

Belarus ~ whiterussia

Chernarus ~ blackrussia

Thx for the info.

do you have a camera? if you have any good camera you can use that also for "scans"

Just tried it with my mobile but the cam only has a 640*480 resolution and you don't see a thing... Sorry.

What thread is that?

do you have a camera? if you have any good camera you can use that also for "scans"

Just tried it with my mobile but the cam only has a 640*480 resolution and you don't see a thing... Sorry.

I just wanted to buy it for us and show the site's here, but unfirtunately its not yet available as PDF-buy...

http://www.epaperstar.de/aktuell/pcg

Maybe tomorrow....

Regards, Christian

There's gonna be a new preview in Czech mag "SCORE" It should be out in two days smile_o.gif

Sounds nice, but where did you read this and where will it first be translated?

http://www.hodnoceniher.cz/upload/clanek/503.jpg and in this thread I suppose? wink_o.gif

Edit: Here's a new screen (or rather capture from the vid):

arma203nj1.jpg

original screen

It's from this article on Tiscali Games (only in Czech). It's just an annoucement about forthcoming ArmA2 article on this website wich will be available this Thursday together with new screens (reportedly with much better look) and later also some new vids will be showed.

just one more thing... the Chernarus map wil be 175 sq. km's big (236 sq. km's with water areas) and release date still counting with Christmas 2008 smile_o.gif

Excellent, thanks for the new information smile_o.gif

EDIT: MUST SEE: Clearer link to THIS biggrin_o.gif Looks really good (visually at least)

Excellent, thanks for the new information smile_o.gif

EDIT: MUST SEE: Clearer link to THIS biggrin_o.gif Looks really good (visually at least)

Most of the screens are in the PCG as well, so their is no need for buying it =)

I like the boar biggrin_o.gif

looks really great! yay.gifsmile_o.gif

but I downloaded all the screens to be sure, cause the first article saying, that there's a worldwide embargo for all the new screens (the official ones I think) till Thursday.

the tanks/helis look VERY good smile_o.gif but the infantry is missing something. now i just need to collect money for christmas

Looks pretty good so far, partially even "near-finished"..

But they should really take their time (if enough money is there to pay everything) and bring out something great and feature-rich this time, a bit like OFP was when it came out.

What I personally do not like according to the screens are these things:

- The quality seems not so even spread so far, you can see it clearly on this pic, where at the left hand, we have this extreme realistic and really great looking surface of the tank, but on the right hand the ugly ARMA1 fire and smoke effects (i am spoilt from "arma effects" by Madmatt) crazy_o.gif

- The Buildings looks still like from OFP1/Arma1/VBS1 days.... Compared to the near photo-realistic looking of vehicles, it seems to don't fit-in so good i think.

I wonder what happend to more beautifully looking and for OFP2 planned buildings like these ones (all have clear windows and good textures).

- Woods could have more bushes and could be more "un-even" + a few tiny rivers in it, a few forest aisles and else... i mean if i go out in the woods, it looks a bit different and not so artifical and even.

- These to bright-green look of the things like "speed", "armor" and chosen weapon inside vehicles.

But the rest is looking good.... i imagine already how to fire weapons over these great landscapes.

Regards, Christian

- The quality seems not so even spread so far, you can see it clearly on this pic, where at the left hand, we have this extreme realistic and really great looking surface of the tank, but on the right hand the ugly ARMA1 fire and smoke effects (i am spoilt from "arma effects" by Madmatt) crazy_o.gif

- The Buildings looks still like from OFP1/Arma1/VBS1 days.... Compared to the near photo-realistic looking of vehicles, it seems to don't fit-in so good i think.

I wonder what happend to more beautifully looking and for OFP2 planned buildings like these ones (all have clear windows and good textures).

mr.g-c, I totally agree with you on the buildings. The ones you showed in the old "Game2" screenshots are buildings that were built to be Dynamicly Destructable I believe(the one on the right can be seen in the last ArmA2 blog about DD, or lack there of). So it stands to reason they would be of higher quality.

We now know the DD system was removed, but the question remains... why are the newer, non DD buildings of such low quality compared to the ones we saw in the old "Game2" images? Why not still make the buildings of that higher quality? Thats one of the biggest turn offs with ArmA... alot of recycled OFP/VBS buildings. Since ArmA was not ment to be a "new" game that was ok... but its not ok in ArmA2. For the environments to be truely imersive, the buildings need to be better then what we have seen so far. Beautiful grass and trees mean nothing if the towns look like they are from a 5 year old game.

The other point about old ArmA1 effects... hopefully the awnser to that is simply that the new effects have not made it into the game yet. And I hope thats the same with the terrible looking buildings.... hopefully better looking ones are on the way. There is still quite a few months till release so its possible we'll see big improvements in these areas.

Yes stakex, great you have the same opinion about that - i nearly thought i'm the only one who don't like the most recent look of the buildings.

I hope they will finally change the building-models to something like the ones which were planned for the dynamic destruction feature. The current visible ones in screens do not fit into the rest, thats a fact.

At least give them clear windows and a few better textures for outer walls and roofs, even when not enterable (another thing i don't get BIS - why to make non-enterable buildings at all icon_rolleyes.gif )

Yes the effects will hopefully be changed....

OOh..!! I always get overexcited when I see new screenshots.

Look at those tanks and aircrafts! The faces! The trees! The Grass! The color!

AWwww... MOAR!  crazy_o.gif  yay.gif

lol nope... definatlly not the only one. Thats another good point tho, not enough enterable buildings. But I believe that might have something to do with the game not being able to handle it... and if thats not the case, then it really does make one wonder why so few enterable buildings. Lets face it, most modern conflicts take place in urban areas... so their should be good focus on urban areas in ArmA2. More enterable, and better detailed buildings.

About fire and smoke effects... it was stated in the article that there were no particle effects yet (explosions, smoke, etc.) They're going to be done later.

And I also noticed the lake on the left of this screen. Especially the direction of the waves seems to be all right now thumbs-up.gif

I'm especially intrigued by this pic. They have the C-130J Super Hercules. Hopefully they take that a step further and include this. They can show COD4 how it's really done.

And in here they have the 2k22m Tunguska which has surface to air missiles. So hopefully this means aircraft will have countermeasures now.

In all, these screens have gotten me excited about ArmA2. I just wish I could read what the page says.

Judging by THIS picture it would seem that splines are STILL not implemented into the engine for road construction.

I guess there's got to be a good reason for that. sad_o.gifconfused_o.gifsad_o.gifconfused_o.gif

Hopefully they take that a step further and include this. They can show COD4 how it's really done.

I hope not, cause It would have had a very short campaign biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]lol nope... definatlly not the only one.

Yes your right... at the point you posted this, i read in a german arma-community that people (after they saw recent screenshots in the german PC-Games) even called it "catastrophically ugly" buildings and they "absolutely non-fitting" into the very beautiful rest of the landscape, heaven and models.

Also they criticized that the Arma environment is more likely "dead", means no default NPCs in cities and so on... But at least we get some animals this time...

Also i remember a thread i've opened last year about building models:

Here: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=70506

sadly, nobody seemed to notice it, so i thought the majority don't find it very important....

Tunguska is in, yes... but when they want to proper simulate it, they have to make it:

1. extreme fast rate of fire (sounds!wink_o.gif

2. huge flames out of the barrels when firing

3. Tunguska fired SAM is a 9M311 which has TWO STAGES, so they should simulate also the booster fall-off after a few seconds. That could be difficult because the model must be brake-off then.

(they can even attack ground units with missles)

Regards, Christian