Sign in to follow this  
Campbell

pc or xbox 360

games for pc or xbox 360 witch is better? like call of duty 4. will pc game be better?

Personally i would always prefer to play a shooter with a mouse and a keyboard, plus the PC versions are lot more mod friedly.

Only thing that makes me wonder is what is this thread doing here?

Consoles are more "user friendly" in the sense that you don't have to do anything more than put the disc in and let it load, and it'll work on your system as it's made specifically for it. PC on the other hand is generally "better" in terms of graphics, modability, scale of multiplayer (depends on the game too I guess). There are some sort of games which are more suited to consoles, generally sports and driving games as they tend to be the "play with all your mates on the same screen" sort of thing. Personal preferance really, but shooter wise I'd deffinately say PC is the daddy, far easier to aim and so on with a mouse and keyboard.

I suggest to RTM such threads instead of just posting that it is wrong here wink_o.gif

Moving to OT.

The 360 is supposedly cheaper... but only if you don't know how to build a computer.

A PC has problems. But the 360's track record for stability is terrible.

I wouldn't recommend the 360 to anyone whose been playing games for a longer while, since most of the lineup for that console are just rehashes of old ideas, even the supposedly amazing bioshock is kind of a been there done that when it was called system shock feel to it (and it doesn't seem to have the depth of sys shock, i can't put my finger on it why i feel that way about it).

Online is also free (well you still pay for broadband but you get the idea) on the PC. Much bigger library.

I like my pc very much and I didn't had any big problems with it.

Some people say it's a pain in the ass to play games on pc,not very true besides changing drivers and applying patches on games that are very buggy,I didn't had major problems with pc games.Sometimes I don't even bother with patching if it doesn't fix something major or a game-stopping bug.

Of course I agree with the upgrade problem,pc components shouldn't have the lifetime of a console,but pc tehnology runs way-way-way too fast these days,sometimes you can't even enjoy you're new component because the second day hardware manufactures will scream in your face "what are you doing with that pos hardware"(not exactly but you catch my drift smile_o.gif ).

I actually wanted to buy a X-box360 but the hardware failure rates scared the crap out of me.I wanted it only for 3 games actually:GTA IV,Mass Effect and Fable 2 but I think those will be ported to pc anyway,just like GoW and I'm a patient man.

I noticed these days most of the games are multiplatform anyway(with cons and pros)so as long as they put games on dusty Windows I'll play on my pc.

Guest Ti0n3r

I see no point in consoles. They've been dead to me since the last days of the N64 sad_o.gif

I have my x360 for party-gaming only. In fact, thats the only gaming I do nowadays, simple havent got time for any other games.

Guitar Hero is damn fun - especially when you are a few friends hanging out smile_o.gif.

Cant wait for rock band.

I havent ever played anything else than PC-games. Games are more sophisticated to mature adults and then there is simulations where is no limited to capture players freedom. I just wanna have a game which I can mod and change any features if it doesnt satisfied me.

I prefer my 360, much more relaxing to lay in bed playing Fifa on my HD TV with the AC on and my wife next to me working on her tablet PC smile_o.gif

I prefer my PC, much relaxing to sit in front of my HD TV that i use to play PC games. wink_o.gif

I use mod`s for every game i play, and would never had that freedom of choice on an 360, or any other console.

Last but not least, i prefer to build my PC`s by my self and that does not work that well for consoles. biggrin_o.gif

This choice has a lot to do with do you want to be a Computer Mechanic & System Administrator, or do you just want to play games.

For the most part of my computer-life I have been an enthusiastic Computer Mechanic & System Administrator, but the more and more I have seen and done, the more and more I have started to feel like "what am I doing?"

There was a time when I had to create special boot floppy disks for different games, just to get the games to start! And in those times, I actually liked doing it, because I learnt something completely on my own. Things have evolved from those times into much better. But I wouldn't say that playing games on a PC is an ideal solution, when entertainment, and *only* entertainment, is what is asked for.

I don't have a console. I have used them though, enough to see how easy and enjoying it can be to use a console instead of a PC for *entertainment* purposes.

*goes off to compile some source code with g++*

Most games are only an entertainment over a longer time, because of the modifications.

If you have to ask yourself what you are doing, you should "study" a bit, or a bit more.

I play Oblivion, for example, that heavily modded that the game played on the 360 is nothing but a lame joke.

A console has no chance to get bought by me.

Have you checked the prices for PC hardware lately?

They are in free fall, 2GB DDR2 Ram ~40€.

If you have to ask yourself what you are doing, you should "study" a bit, or a bit more.

Not at all...

I think you should consider again what I said. I think you think I mean something I know I don't mean smile_o.gif

Over-studying! Studying too much compared to what I actually need to know to accomplish some task, like play games. Get it?

This is probably hard to explain to people who consider themselves to be some sort of geniouses when it comes to computers...

What is the goal of your computer usage?

Is it to become a know-it-all computer guru?

Is it to play a game for entertainment?

Is it to fulfill the formal requirements of your education?

With a PC a task of trying to play a game way too often becomes unnecessarily difficult. This is why a console could be the right choice for my entertainment needs (after the girlfriend).

With a console a task of trying to create a MathCad document of 6-degree-of-freedom vibration calculations becomes unnecessarily difficult. That's why I need a PC instead of a console.

If you get a very good feeling when you micro-manage your computer, both hardware and software, then by all means do it (I have done quite a lot of it myself too and still do). BUT DO NOT EVEN TRY TO IMPLY THAT OTHERS ARE STUPID IF THEY DON'T DO IT TOO!!! (sorry for the yelling but I really think this point can't be stressed too much) If you do that then you have made the technology more important than it actually is. You have made the technology The Thing.

Do not give a technology a status it doesn't deserve. Appreciate also other technical products in addition to your personal favourite.

smile_o.gif

Two sides of a similar coin:

COD4 PC demo, install, start the demo, PC locks up and does nothing, need to do hard reset.

COD4 360, insert DVD, run game, dribble saliva at how the game looks on your LCD HD TV at 1080p whilst you play it laid in bed nice and comfortable with AC blasting out to keep your toes cool.

Are the Graphics exactly the same as they would be on the highest possible pc settings though place? I've got COD4 on 360 pre-order however im not sure what would be more worthwhile. Except the fact I can play it on my 27" HD LCD next to moin mini-fridge biggrin_o.gif

COD4 PC demo, install, start the demo, PC locks up and does nothing, need to do hard reset.

COD4 360, insert DVD, run game, dribble saliva at how the game looks on your LCD HD TV at 1080p whilst you play it laid in bed nice and comfortable with AC blasting out to keep your toes cool.

Meh.. COD 4 felt pretty dumb anyway.. waste of perfectly valuable time.

Crysis PC demo. Sit by the desk with a hot cup of coffee, install demo, run it perfectly at high settings, 1 hour in heaven, install the editor, add more enemies, weapons, vehicles.. wow.

Crysis 360 demo. Oh wait whistle.gif ..

And i need a system that can handle some old great games wink_o.gif .

... I seem to recall reading somewhere that your system had problems with the Crysis demo too!! You can't blame a lockup or crash on the software when the hardware is out of date!

Get your feet out of the aircon and into a local PC store!  tounge2.gif

Console vs. PC? Just a matter of opinion and personal preference just as with anything else, and horses for courses.

If you are lazy and are not into mods or tweaking then the console is your baby! But if you want to be adventurous and creative with addons, mods and missions and like the sheer versatility of a mouse and keyboard and any number of additional peripherals then the PC is champ any day!  wink_o.gif

BTW my toes are cold right now just sitting here typing this, guess I should put on some heating!  wink_o.gif

... I seem to recall reading somewhere that your system had problems with the Crysis demo too!! You can't blame a lockup or crash on the software when the hardware is out of date!

My PC is:

AMD 3700+

1gb ram

Geforce 6800

Latest directx, all drivers up to date. All apps closed before launching.

That is within the minimum spec for both demos, so the game should only run slow, not freeze up my PC completely.

That is within the minimum spec for both demos, so the game should only run slow, not freeze up my PC completely.

It might be something wrong between the chair and the keyboard. whistle.gif

I also think Console vs PC is a matter of personal preferance and the type of game to be played.

If I want to play a shooter I prefer the PC, if I want to play Virtua Fighter or some other beat'em up I prefer the 360.

But all in all I prefer the PC for its abilities to let me add or change the content of what I'm playing.

My PC is:

AMD 3700+

1gb ram

Geforce 6800

Latest directx, all drivers up to date. All apps closed before launching.

P4 2.4Ghz

GF7600GS 256MB

512MB RD-RAM at 1066 mhz

Demo runs fine for me, so you might want to do some troubleshooting. Although your video card is old as the king's highway.

I can even have a bunch of windows open while playing.

I run the game at normal, the texture settings are on auto, but i don't notice a graphical difference when i set it to high, but the game runs like a slideshow.

I don't like the game, but optimisation wise it's pretty well done.

... Although your video card is old as the king's highway.

I have a 6800GS AGP and it runs the Crysis demo like a dream on mostly medium settings. Very smooth without AA. Much smoother in fact than ArmA!

As has been said already this game is well optimised, don't try and force AA though as I have found some graphical glitches, use the game preferences.

Software compatibility issues with PCs will always be a problem with some setups but so will faulty hardware, which will affect consoles also. A well set up and maintained PC however, should not cause that many problems. The PC has the ultimate advantage of being inherently upgradeable whilst the console is stuck at factory speeds!  smile_o.gif

There is really no comparison.  The only set of controls that allows adequate precision has been available to us for decades... the keyboard and mouse!

(complemented of course by a trusty joystick for things like driving and flying.)

There are only two possible eventualities that will ever change this:

1.  A console comes out that allows a mouse/keyboard interface.

2.  We gain the ability to plug into our brains directly ala the Matrix. wow_o.gif

The main reason I hate consoles controllers (other than the inherent lack of precision) is that they are designed to rely heavily on the thumbs.  Unfortunately, our thumbs weren't designed for this sort of thing.  Think about it... ever heard the expression "all-thumbs"? tounge2.gif

Plus the general dumbed-down nature of console titles is a game-breaker for me.  As a general rule, if the primary platform for a game is the console, I'm not interested (because by definition it cannot exhibit an adequate level of complexity.)

Important to stress though... To each his own!

(I should mention that I can think of one exception to everything I just said... sports games.  They are actually better on consoles... feel free to call me a traitor if you like! rofl.gif )

Placebo problems may lay in department of NVIDIA driver bugs (what build btw) and bugs on 6xxx serie (some cards were so faulty it's not even worth to try remember)