Sign in to follow this  
RN Malboeuf

Projekt Gardinas Island

I'm working on a big island mission framework and Alex is ok to make an island for some Beta release. But I need the data for it.

I have looked for real life data but it seams limited. So I'm thinking about using a generator.

Does someone know if Terragen (or something similar) can generate random and export SAR format?

Thx for any help.

QuietMan

Small update on the island. There were roads built.

download Insel GI

http://www.armabase.de/cms/alexsworn/FTP/Addons/GI.rar

If you are interested, this island can continue to build in to sign me.

http://deadeye.pytalhost.com/manual/index.php?topic=251.0

@Dramboi

I am waiting for information from BI.

If I get this, the tool on all sides to download.

This island is nice and I hope you are going to improve it.

I think it will be good to have some lighthouses on such a flat island and also some rocks on the coastline.

The only thing I don't like is about LOD, too much difference of color between what is in the immediate surrounding and what is just a few steps away.

alex may i ask what has changed in update ? thanks in advance

Quote[/b] ]Small update on the island. There were roads built.

smile_o.gif

Roads ..., it will be better to speak about sandy trails with here and there a bush just in the middle, better use a Coyota here !

Just thought I'd register my thanks - Gardinas is without question my favourite map to date : to anyone that hasn't tried it yet ... you won't believe the difference in AI behavoiour whenthey have some decent ground cover/contours to work with.

I tend to use this map with the FFAMM 1.3 mod & find the firefights some of the most realistic i've seen in any game.

Having read most of the posts on this thread I hope to see a lot of similar maps based on this method.

On a personal note to other map makers- - - OK, make larger maps if you desire them, but when you do, please, please offer the option of cut down versions of the interesting areas providing the beautiful experience of a potentially lag free map :- which Gardinas provides in spades! (my second fav is Sakakah Al Jawf - again a nice manageable chunk of real estate!wink_o.gif

I can't understand why map makers who've put such a huge effort into creating huge maps don't take advantage of their efforts & offer 'map fragments' (ie small, ~10km square) as a worthwhile bonus. We all know that when we're design missions, for the most part, we all seek out a tiny portion of our 'dream locations'.

Once again, my profound thanks for this map.

Absolutely amazing stuff Alex!!! If this gets released it will help alot of mods out!!

i bet they say no and recuit you into there team tounge2.gif

would be nice of someone could teach them how to code an easy to use program

Since many are intersted in these tools (myself included) I took the liberty to tanslate the text on Alex Sworn forum.
Quote[/b] ]

I really got the press the fact that its frustating that we dont get any support from BI.

Questions are not answered, we recieve no information. May it be formats, files or anything

else. Even the offers, like the fixing of things on the QG island (floating objects, etc.)

are taken up friendly but forgotten 3 days later, and noone seems to remember. Even offers

to create whole new islands are one day regarded so the other day so. A well, just leave it

be. Even BI should realize that people are starting to get turned down and down feel like

creating anything anymore. And it slowly gets impossible to keep on going. Specially since

other firms are making tempting offers.

kinda seems like they just dont care. sorry for 2 posts together moderator

Any updates on this tool? Would be excellent to have, even if its beta and crashes on everyone, this is something that if it worked like it did on Gardinas... my my.

notworthy.gif

Hey Alex I have to say that you have made a map that I can only describe as "addictive".

The new Desert Map released recently "Sakakah Al Jawf " pretty much takes care of desert needs. This map does the job with woodland map no question.

First when i loaded it I started in the more open sparse areas and thought It looked a little bare. Then I setup the Partol Script with a marker over the dense forest area and set a random placement of enemy units to spawn between 7 and 10 groups.

Then with NIMS weather mod using "autumn leaves" and some pretty bad weather setting, with woodland cammo, Durgs Vegetation fix, Truerange AI .... wow, what a lovely map for woodland firefights!

I think this map is a keeper because its size is right, the woods are perfect for firefights, nice dips and cover no great big hills. It reminds me of a woodland map from the original Ghost Recon (and Dear Hunter 2005! ) and it felt like I was back playing a classic.

This map is superb once you "get it" by setting up in the woods and letting it rip.

If you are going to add anything (apart from the latest screens which look great) then maybe in the woods you could have a spattering of bushes (like some just outside the wood) to be used as cover with Durgs Vegetation fix for some stealth mission ideas. To be honest just as it is its great, but any tweaks Im happy to grab an update.

PS - I played on it SP with patrol script for 4 hours straight, and thats the longest ive spent in one session in ARMA.

Does anyone know a good site for DEMs of England or even Europe? I found the area I'm after with accurate 5m grids, but for over 2000 pounds...  whistle.gif

As map - first user island Syr Darain

Projekt Gardinasisland

and now La Samula

The island of La Samula is a new island. This island is not with the BI tool Visitor3. I think I can in the next few days they publish.

At the moment my news page is not online.

crazy_o.gif

Alex.Sworn: you never cease to amaze me smile_o.gif great stuff, can't wait to put my team in action on your new map :] please create a lot of small villages connected with roads.

Alex, your La Samula Island images look terrific. As one who is currently struggling with Vistor 3, I look forward to your new tools!

Alex, your La Samula Island images look terrific.  As one who is currently struggling with Vistor 3, I look forward to your new tools!

True ! Visitor3 is quite frustrating for me. I don't have all the time I want to learn it through, so I'll wait for your wonderful tool before creating islands...

If it's even half what you say it can do, then it's truly a step forward for ArmA Community. BIS should thank you when you release it wink_o.gif

Malick

Alex, just wondering, what file type(s) can your tool use to create islands? I've used a nice little tool called Wilbur in the past. (For OFP islands in WRP)

Cheers,

Dan

Hi, that Gardina island looks very pimp but i don't see the shadows

when im on it, i enabled yesterday the sahdows to take a screenshot

and when i swapped to the very pimp Gardina's island, i don't seen

any shadow, in the soil, from the trees, the units or even on the

units itself; but i've to say that it rocks. Those small terrain elevations

allow you (and the AI) to use the terrain for cover and advance in

thing that the default islands don't allow; and beeing that small and

with few objects, it don't have any lag where ever you're in the

island. The only "bugs" that i've noticed is that you can walk/shot

through some of the tree piles located nead a road in the SSW and

in the location where there're 2 tents more at the North; one

of the tree piles there you can walk through; but the island itself

is really great, i like it alot. Thanks for the island man.

Gardinas island woods by dawn:

ArmA_30.jpg

Let's C ya