Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA Support And Patching Plans

For those who did not notice yet,

a blog post describing plans for ArmA was published recently.

Quote[/b] ]ARMA 2 was announced, and yes, we are working hard on it - now what does that mean for ARMA? Will we still continue to support it?

The answer is: yes, we will still keep supporting ARMA.

Patch Plans

We're preparing a patch for ARMA, which will hopefully be released in one or two months. Currently we plan to include the following fixes or improvements:

* Some AI detection fixes

* Fixed fog on DX 10 cards

* Fixed anti-cheat signature timeout

* Added some additional anti-cheat measures

* More reliable VON

* Fixed CTD when resuming from a save in large and/or script intensive missions

* Fixed spontaneous death while driving a motorcycle in MP

* Fixed AI soldier can't fire behind the sandbags

* Fixed compatibility problems caused by various copy protections uses

The patch will be completely independent of Queens Gambit, which will be running on 1.08, and no release data for this patch is currently set, but we intend to first release it as public beta 1.09 before the final release will be made available.

Linux Server

Linux Server has been in the works for quite a long time now. We're getting very close to a first closed beta testing stage.

Editing

Good news for all the creative people around is that it will be very easy to port any custom work from ARMA to ARMA 2, much easier than from Operation Flashpoint.

Some of the editing tools (Oxygen 2 + Visitor 3) are already released as release candidates, some other are getting close to release - we intend to release the entire pipeline (including data packing and addon signing tools) very soon and to make a final polished release of the entire tool suite in the next few weeks.

Great. I think this announcment will calm down some high waves.

very happy to see that fog bug is being fixed

a question to SUMA: Just for curiosity.... Why is the fog bugged in DX10 hardware??? the fog code should be the same for all the cards i guess. Is because some driver bug from nvidia?? or does the fog need to be programmed in a different way in the 8000 cards???

thanks

thanks for the answer, found it pretty interesting

it´s a pain in the ass when some hardware company change the way a new card behaves on a particular situation when it should be ok with the already existing code

nice to see it fixed

PS: ARMA rocks wink_o.gif

"More reliable VON" - If this resolves all current issues, ill send you a box of ur favorite wine or other drinks, Suma wink_o.gif

Regarding the "AI detection issues", do you plan to :

- tweak the config values, as suggested by Q ?

- improve/add routines, like hard coded line of sight calculations, hear/see improvements, recognition, etc.. ?

- improve/add scripting commands ?

Just curious... I'm glad the game is still being worked on smile_o.gif

Malick

Regarding the "AI detection issues", do you plan to :

- tweak the config values, as suggested by Q ?

- improve/add routines, like hard coded line of sight calculations, hear/see improvements, recognition, etc.. ?

- improve/add scripting commands ?

Just curious... I'm glad the game is still being worked on smile_o.gif

Malick

You doubt that ArmA is still being worked on? huh.gif

I had no doubt in that, but it`s nice to get some info. smile_o.gif

Hope the cheating will become harder with 1.09.

I don't think that cheating will be harder in 1.09, if an engine is defective by design your only hope is that cheaters stop playing ArmA...

Look at COD2, they made the same mistake and they had to add punkbuster to stop cheaters.

What about the

'setfuel does not work if the command is executed from client' problematic ?

It seems that SetVehicleArmor goes the same way, but otherways the setdamage works without problems !

Will that be fixed too ? whistle.gif

Cheers for this Suma, good to see you keeping in touch with the community biggrin_o.gif

Suma,

Thanks for this info. Do you guys have a roadmap for patches down the road? (Approx. dates, what fixes are in the works, etc.)

I'm asking because Arma still has several issues that I'd like to see fixed before I'd consider buying expansions or future versions and it'd be nice to see an official long-term plan/commitment to these fixes.

now i'm sure this stop most of the complains about 'noone speak with us' 'arma was abadoned' 'MP is dead' and so on smile_o.gif

gj on website, blog and patches smile_o.gif

The new website has been a good read and looks good smile_o.gif I await more blog posts.

But the man with the briefcase has gone! wow_o.gif

"More reliable VON" - If this resolves all current issues, ill send you a box of ur favorite wine or other drinks, Suma wink_o.gif

if the AI can cross bridges the i will send them a truck load of it confused_o.gif

i personally would like to have 2 important things worked on:

- controls: i was somewhat disappointed to see the old ofp actionmenu system and the sluggish controls continued. especially the weapon change is still a pain in the #. it would be very nice if there would be a way to assign the keys like its in most fps (primary,pistol,launcher,grenades cycle,satchel/mines cycle,misc). i dont know how the unresponsive controls can be improved, they are related to the animations i think and also to some degree of realism.

- AI behaviour: plz introduce a "very hard" setting for AI as it is now or implement a new setting "moderate awareness"...i dont complain about stupid ai or ai bugs, i know this is a difficult subject. i just would like to see a CONSISTENT way to choose whether one wants x-ray vision ai or ofp-like ai. the reason for this is, while there may be many hardcore gamers who say "the ai is too weak", i find it breaks immersion if the ai automatically knows where you are by the first shot you fire. i also know this can be tweaked manually by the player/mod, but there really should be an option for mappers/server admins to switch to ai which is actually fun to play against.

if the AI can cross bridges the i will send them a truck load of it confused_o.gif

x2 for that ... You can have my love free with it too :P

...add the abillity to holster pistols as primary weapon to the list!

...add the abillity to holster pistols as primary weapon to the list!

Hearing from the development team makes me a happy guy wink_o.gif

The only thing I woudl politely ask they add to that list is the bridge thing. There are problems in ArmA but this is basic navigation that completely kills game play and mission editing.

smile_o.gif

The bridge issue is indeed a big showstopper. In a mission I´m working on I have a convoy moving over a bridge in the background and they hardly ever make it over the bridge altogether. I tried almost any possible variation with waypoints, speeds, etc.

In this variation of the bridge bug, the vehicles simply drive through the sidewalls of the bridge and dive into the water once AI driver Joe gets confused and tries to to some mumbo-jumbo on the bridge with his vehicle.

Another very common and annoying bug is that units have no problems with running through destroyed vehicles. It´s not a viewdistance matter, the VD is set to 2000 in the mission and the units do this about 150 m´s away from the player. They don´t do it randomly, but it´s a permanent habbit for them.

The list can go on and on.

Amongst main showstoppers :

- bridge crossing mayhem

- AI wall/object/unit walkthrough hack

- AI definitely needs driving lessons

The day I see these items in a patch fixlist, I'll be happy. And I may participate in the box of wine (French wine anyone ?) the community will send to BIS wink_o.gif

Malick