Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Must every vehicle explode and burn?

I may sound like kind of a retard when I say this but I like ridiculously huge explosions. Hell if I made the game I'd make the explosion effects twice as big whistle.gif

Try the ArmaEffects mod. Those explosions bring a special kind of ridiculousness to ArmA!

Quote[/b] ]

Mecha Stalin. I think. Made a post in Torni's M60 thread or the ACE thread about an armour damage system he discovered 'hidden' within ArmA. There was a video demonstration.

He sure did! It was in the ACE thread in A&M:D

Quote[/b] ]

The current damage textures are horrible. This is especially aparrent when shooting at car tyres. Instant rust effect.

To be fair, burnt metal does look almost exactly like that. I like the textures, I just don't like the way they are implimented. I think that fires should come first for the most part, then the burnt textures. In order for them to come in gradually, though, you'd need texture blending capability and I'm not sure ArmA can do that.

Evidently you haven't been playing ArmA if you think that every vehicle will explode 100% of the time, regardless of circumstances... or you've been playing with your eyes closed and your hands clapped over your ears.

It's been like this since OFP, and it's still true when I play ArmA today. Play the sanitization mission, and tool around afterward destroying stuff. You'll find that none of those vehicles except the two uazs will explode. Even the Shilka won't explode.

I suggest you read my first reply and stop "evidencing" me into your preconceived notions.

Let's see, I've been playing a different game, possibly with my hands clapped over my ears and my eyes closed...

OR I haven't played that specific mission in your specific way.

Simple question needs a simple answer bud, if you can't do it sarcasm free don't do it at all, I'd appreciate it more.

DMarkwick & plaintiff1, keep it civil. No need to start a flame fest.

Evidently you haven't been playing ArmA if you think that every vehicle will explode 100% of the time, regardless of circumstances... or you've been playing with your eyes closed and your hands clapped over your ears.

It's been like this since OFP, and it's still true when I play ArmA today. Play the sanitization mission, and tool around afterward destroying stuff. You'll find that none of those vehicles except the two uazs will explode. Even the Shilka won't explode.

I suggest you read my first reply and stop "evidencing" me into your preconceived notions.

Let's see, I've been playing a different game, possibly with my hands clapped over my ears and my eyes closed...

OR I haven't played that specific mission in your specific way.

Simple question needs a simple answer bud, if you can't do it sarcasm free don't do it at all, I'd appreciate it more.

I'm not sure how you came out thinking I was talking to you, initially, I was replying to TOP

Quote[/b] ]

I was wondering about something, why does every vehicle have to explode? Every tank, humvee, truck, stryker, helicopter and plane explodes when reaching damage 1.

So if that's not your belief then maybe stop replying to my statement?

Plantiff, good, it's fuel and ammo dependant to some stage. Still doesn't cover why a humvee explodes.

destrType setting:

OFP settings:

#define destructno 0

#define destructbuilding 1

#define destructengine 2

#define destructtree 3

#define destructtent 4

#define destructman 5

#define destructdefault 6

or

enum

{

DestructNo,

DestructBuilding,

DestructEngine,

DestructTree,

DestructTent,

DestructMan,

DestructDefault

};

class All

{

// Q 06-04-09: Changed default destruction type to destructman (no BIS Crumble, Explosion, Smoke)

destrType = destructman; // destructdefault;

};

class Air: AllVehicles

{

// Q 06-04-09: Air has still default destruction type as WGL5 lacks effects for it

destrType = destructdefault;

};

we made our own destruction scripts for vehicles smile_o.gif

---

from a quick check of the bin\config i guess you alter the default effect to some point now at least.

Another cool thing would be when helicopters crash there should be a cloud of dust followed by the model changing to a destroyed version like the uh60 model in the objects part of the editor, joint operations had a realistic result by using a similar method.

I'm not sure how you came out thinking I was talking to you, initially, I was replying to TOP

LOL, well OK, but it was my post you were quoting so I thought you were talking to me smile_o.gif

No harm.

Q, I have tested your method in a very short stand alone addon, it works like a charm.

The other problem is that now the vehicles (I have included all landVehicles) never explode... Do you know a trick to make that a bit more random ? Like an array :

destrType = ["DestructMan","DestructDefault"];

Any idea ?

Malick

LOL, well OK, but it was my post you were quoting so I thought you were talking to me smile_o.gif

No harm.

My initial post didn't quote anyone, I was just talking about the topic. When you said "we've been playing armed assault", I assumed that you were corroborating TOP. It's no big deal.

damage enginein this game is one of most disappointing things for me

fo me it is horrible that car exoplode when i fire at doors, where is realism that they advertise?

no, not every vehicle must explode...(hint - the middle picture in my sig... my mod... might be what ure looking for in the future).....

There's a reason why many Tank wrecks I've seen pics of from WW2 had multiple holes in them. Obviously if the first round had "ArmA" blown the vehicle up, no one would ever have thought "oh oh, there's a tank there that might still be up and running, lets put another round into it". That to me is evidence enough that tanks and other afv's don't always brew up first hit.

I'm not playing my ArmA just now, as my rig can't handle it well, but I did like the secondary explosions in one of the OFP addons, RHS?

i think something needs to be asked here - since when does fuel actually EXPLODE? catch on fire, maybe, but even a damn fuel truck won't blow if you open up at one with rifles. something explosive like C4 or a rocket, yeah, it'll go up in a nice fireball, but even that dosen't do much damage to stuff around it.

with straight bullets, you'll be lucky if a fuel truck catches on fire in the first place, let alone disappear with any vehicle in it's vicinity. more likely you'll get a truck full of holes leaking liquid everywhere.

i think some have put their faith a little too much in hollywood.

if anything, the only thing that should keep the damage radius it currently has is the ammo truck. having an un-armored vehicle filled to the gills with high explosive? you'd better believe that thing it gonna anniliate a convoy when it goes up.

tanks... one of two things i think needs to happen. either they blow themselves into little fragments (which i know things like the javelin can 'encourage' ) when 100% dead, killing everything in a wide area (like they currently do), or they keep the (one burnt/rusted) model and they scale down the damage radius.. yeah, they carry ammo, but don't forget they are encased within inches of armor plating. if the armor stays in one piece, i doubt fatal blast forces are going to be subjected to everything in a 30 meter radius. heck, even the M1A1 was designed to have it's ammo storage detonate and not kill the crew.

@Malick

pretty sure it doesn't work this way.

disable BI effects and completely make your own set of effects,

if you want to have random aspects in there.

in ArmA i guess its possible to alter the explonsion effects to some

extent, but mainly from the look

@Q :

Indeed, it doesn't work that way... To make randomly exploding vehicles, I need a set of scripts launched by eventhandlers. I was hoping something similar could be done very simply wink_o.gif

@Hailstorm:

Regarding the fuel explosion, you're wrong, in my opinion. What explodes is not the fuel itself, but the ever present vapor. This gaseous form is highly inflammable and prone to explode when in the confined space of a fuel tank.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Malick

Yeah, but bullets won't cause a fire there. Tracers only.

It also depends on whether the vehicles use petrol (gasoline) or diesel. Diesel is much harder to combust than petrol.

The exploding of vehicles is just another reason why i rarley play Arma now. When a M113 gets hit, almost the entire squad gets killed alongside it. As it is, its totally unplayable because of this nonsense.

Two thumbs down....

Sadly I too have stoped playing ArmA, for one reason I sold my "gaming" computer, the other for the same petty reasons everyone mentions, it grows on you... anyways I still hope ArmA will become great, and I still love it, but untill i then I probobly wont play it as much unless theres a unit practice or mission like that.