Sign in to follow this  
artisan

Blood, sweat and tears (1st single msn)

Have just bought Arma. Worked through training msns and am now in prob last segment of blood, sweat and tears. Am outside abandoned camp as Angelo along with about 10 infantrymen, who just seem to mill about aimlessly. Am I supposed to be in charge of these? I have tried yomping up towards Tres Valles in response to Lambert's call, but keep being zapped by superior numbers. Could do with help, but the grunts in the valley don't seem to be interested, nor does the SF recon bloke in the ruins at top of hill. Have updated to ver 1.08. Is this a glitsch or am I stupid? Please someone tell me which. I won't sulk. confused_o.gif

PS Gloucestershire will rise again from the floods. Amen

I'm stuck at the first hurdle on this mission - you have to stop the truck and kill everyone. BUT you have to shoot someone in the head so their uniform is un-soiled.

HOW HARD!!!!

Yes, hard is right. I seem to remember succeeding when I managed to shoot the troops before they disembarked, then watching the front offside wheel for another varmint, who nailed me a few times before I returned the compliment. Keep plugging away pistols.gif

I must admit that I'm having trouble on this mission on a couple of fronts. I too have trouble getting the uniforms. I've tried ambushing the truck at the beginning several different ways and it usually ends with failure to get the uniforms. However I continue.

The last time I kept playing the same guy and approached the target town. A combination of a slow computer and no support make this next section tricky. Not to mention the Rambo tactics you have to take up. I had most success when I took up a position on the hill to the east and sniped the enemy with the rather innacurate silenced M4. I made the most of it then crawled down to a victim of mine and stole an MG. I made my way back up to my sniping position only to be ambushed by an enemy squad that tried to flank me. How I survived that I can only put down to luck. Anyway, blah blah blah and my allies reach the enemy base and I'm off to the airfield engagement mentioned in the first post.

I'm having the same issue with men not wanting to move on, or at least doing it over cautiously. The M113s show the same behaviour and don't support the infantry squads. They're the perfect tool for taking out the MGs up the road, however they sit there and wait for the BMP to come and take them out. Generally, anyone taking the side of the fence with the road are slaughtered very quickly. The other side fares better until the armour rolls in.

I've tried several tactics that see me taking out several key enemies and surviving for a long time, but that turns into me going it solo with little chance succeeding. Although, by that point I kinda lose the motivation for trying to win because I've gone the Rambo route once already.

(I don't think these are spoilers...just tactics)

I got some pointers for the first half of the mission. For the ambush of the car go forward to the first house on the right and take the car out of the driveway. Drive it down and leave it halfway into the street, then take the truck parked at the intersection and also put it halfway into the street (the other half) now go into the house overlooking the intersection opposite of where you started. Go up to the second floor and lean, looking out the window. When the transport truck comes shoot the guys in the back first then take out the passenger. If you kill them all the driver will stay in the truck (did for me the first 3 times) go up and kill that guy point blank...Easy peasey.

I'm to tired to write the siege part but i hope that helps some of you. biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, I usually set up a road block with the cars. I can also despatch the enemies quite quickly. Years of OFP taught me a few things, including how to take advantage of the way soldiers exit vehicles. It's the headshot thing that is getting me. Even when I set it up so I have the perfect vantage point and take my time to do head shots on all the soldiers when they get out of the truck, I still fail that section. My guess is the inaccuracy of the supressed weapon means I'm actually hitting them in the neck or shoulder. Persistence may be the key insomuch that after X tries the weapon's dispersal may favour me.

I'm stuck at the first hurdle on this mission - you have to stop the truck and kill everyone. BUT you have to shoot someone in the head so their uniform is un-soiled.

HOW HARD!!!!

How can you have trouble with that? it is easy.

It seems allot of people have aiming trouble in arma. watching people shoot at the target range in evolution is ridiculous. it should not take you 5 seconds to get your ironsight on the target.

The forum just ate my post?

Oh well, lemme rewrite:

Quote[/b] ]It seems allot of people have aiming trouble in arma. watching people shoot at the target range in evolution is ridiculous. it should not take you 5 seconds to get your ironsight on the target.

Alot of people seem to have the 'render frames ahead'/'flip queue size' setting on default (3) which creates horrible mouse lag if you dont have a very high FPS.

Most people just seem to blame the game and think its done on purpose or something. banghead.gif

(I guess it would be awesome if BI could just let ArmA force a value for its own or something, but i dont even have the slightest idea if this is possible. The only other game i remember that was noticeably affected by this was oblivion)

it was easy for me...

at beginning i ran full speed to the road, waited and when the truck came i shot the driver in the face through the windshield. and then just cleaned up the rest.

easy actually. i loved that mission, i still need to re do it as the other guy though.

I have some glitch problems with this one.

First i jump in the parked car, drive it down the hill and block the road with it. Kill the truck driver (as mentioned above) and mop up the others.

Form here you have your first choice; Carry on as Mr Spec op or switch to Mr Infantry Guy.

First time I played i switched to Mr. Infantry Guy, and it was well hard! That dammed BMP2 mashed most of my team. It got to such a state that I had to restart.

Second time I stayed as Mr.Spec OP; Drove the tuck to the contact (took the sniper rifle) and headed off to join the main force on the motor bike. The contact blew up the radio so I ran in to join the fight...but there were no allied troops! the BMP had killed the two M113s before they even landed!! I was on my own..and that is impossible. So I quit.

I'll try it again some day, it's a nice mission, when it works.

I finally completed this mission successfully and I have to say the scope of it is very impressive. Execution in the form of game mechanics and scripting let it down. If someone were to put a bit of time into it and modify the mission it could be really good.

The main sticking points in the paths I chose while playing the mission come from the AI's inability to carry out an organised attack on the airfield (and the initial town) and some of the trigger conditions and team movement when trying to satisfy the objective regarding rescue of the downed chopper crew.

Most of this mission's objectives may not be catagorised as completely realistic, but there's heaps of fun to be had if the issues are resolved. It gives you a good idea of the kind of large-scale operations that can be pulled off. If only we could see this much attention paid to the campaign. Cross your fingers for the expansion.

Quote[/b] ]Alot of people seem to have the 'render frames ahead'/'flip queue size' setting on default (3) which creates horrible mouse lag if you dont have a very high FPS.

Where is this setting? The lag is killing me.

yep this is the best quick mission. and the beginning is very easy. run towards the objective and you see a car parked at the side. get in and drive it to the road. then near the road is a truck, drive that onto the road so you have 2 cars blocking the truck's path. now when the truck arrives it has to slow down and you can lie right on the road without fear of getting run over. now you can easily kill everyone in the truck.

edit: didn't see. dmenx3 did the exact same thing.

yep this is the best quick mission.  and the beginning is very easy.  run towards the objective and you see a car parked at the side. get in and drive it to the road.  then near the road is a truck, drive that onto the road so you have 2 cars blocking the truck's path. now when the truck arrives it has to slow down and you can lie right on the road without fear of getting run over. now you can easily kill everyone in the truck.

edit: didn't see. dmenx3 did the exact same thing.

Me too mate.

But does any one esle get to the town as Mr Spec ops only to find the two M113s smoking in the sea?

I got the ambush down OK, but regarding the attack on the town, it seems I'm the only one attacking. Homey blew something up at the beginning, but then disappeared. I'm left with a sniper rifle and a silenced carbine to kill everyone at the installation. (And whenever I snipe someone, they send out a squad to beat the bushes for me and I have to slink around and hide till they go away.)

And Stegman, I haven't seen an Alizee sig since I left WW2OL... :>)

I got the ambush down OK, but regarding the attack on the town, it seems I'm the only one attacking. Homey blew something up at the beginning, but then disappeared. I'm left with a sniper rifle and a silenced carbine to kill everyone at the installation. (And whenever I snipe someone, they send out a squad to beat the bushes for me and I have to slink around and hide till they go away.)

And Stegman, I haven't seen an Alizee sig since I left WW2OL...           :>)

biggrin_o.gif She rocks! biggrin_o.gif

Go have a look in the sea, see if the attacking M113s have been destroyed.

I think that if you attack as the SpecOps guy, the BMP gets moved near the shore line to give you a chance, but when you attack as the infantry guy, the BMP is in the middle of / or towards the back of the town, effectively keeping it away from the player.

Nice idea but the down side is that as the SpecOps, the BMP has a clear shot at both of the infantry M113s, leaving you on your own. Bit of an oversight really.

Your only real hope is to switch to the Infantry and go toe to toe with the SLA.

I ended up just killing all the infantry by sniping, then going into town (where I found one M113 just sitting there with its engine running, nobody attacking it, it not attacking anybody...), picking up an RPG, then taking out the BMP as it sat behind a building separating it from the M113. But the mission goes on... After being picked up by a chopper (after one of the cut scenes), working out on ground units using the gatling gun, the chopper got shot down and the pilot and I are being stalked by nme troops. That's where I left it before going to bed last night... Headed back in to see where it ends up.

When they attack the town in this mission, the infantry coming in from the sea on the far side (not the side that you start at) usually gets slaughtered. There are like 2-4 dead on the beaches for no apparent reason. I usually grab a whole bunch of extra grenades from the M113 that you get out of and huck two of them at the houses to soften up the infantry. Then once I actually manage to get to the first houses I get on the second story and support the advancing infantry, which always gets to the middle of the town and is promptly slaughtered by the two waiting BRDM vehicles with the tires. I always am able to take out the BRDM's tires with my M4 to disable them and then the disembarking gunners and drivers are easy pickings, but by that time everyone on the whole squad that advanced into the town is dead.

So then I usually kneel in the second story of a house in the middle of the town knocking off guys, but too afraid to leave the house because my whole squad is dead and all the M113s are dead so I have no support whatsoever and am surrounded by enemy infantry.

I think the trick is to take out the BRDMs before the infantry advances to the middle of the town, then they have a better chance of engaging the drivers and the gunners. The trouble is that they are in the middle of the town and it's dangerous to advance that rapidly.

My problem is acutually at the end of the mission where I am put in a chopper with a huge firepower, but harly being able to hit the enemy before (some of them) hit me.

Am I missing anything? (Except my targets, that is?)

I guess you're supposed to be shot down for the mission to continue. Though you shouldn't die before the mission continues.

Reducing your graphics for more fps should increase your hit performance.

It's ridiculous, how all these mission strategies are concentrating on abusing or working around bugs and dumb AI, while this is still one of the best official missions around. yay.gif

BTW - is it just me, or does the SPR become VERY inaccurate/lose its zero when you deplete the standard 20 round mag and use the 30 round M4 SD mags?

It happened to me this one time when a SLAg came my way with a AK-74 after I finished all my ammo during the assault on the camp. I think it didn't notice me, but it just keep coming straight at me and it was pretty frustrating to have the crosshair on him but not hits coming anyway near him. The SD rounds were just going all over the place (1.08 patch btw). Lucky thing the M9SD is very accurate and there's the ';' key that you can use to instantly switch to a sidearm  biggrin_o.gif

A fun thing with ArmA that not too many are aware of : the "silenced" or "suppressed" properties aren't inherit in the weapon itself (only the sound comes from the weapon), but in the magazine. Meaning if you load suppressed rounds into your regular M4, you'll get the normal sound, but no tracers, poorer ballistics and less damage (=SD rounds). Although for the AI the rounds are considered silenced, no matter how loud the gun seems to you :P

So that's the reason the SD rounds loaded in the SPR go all over the place: they're not meant for long-distance sniping! Personally I found the SPR annoying in pre-1.09 days, and I haven't really tested it since (too inaccurate for a sniper rifle, scope no good for a normal rifle), but I should probably give it a new try at some point. smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

The BMP crew supposed not to mount thier vehicles before the attack started

But you can kill them before they mounted by throw a grenade into the camp....

I suggest you use M4A1 to kill the camp, it is safer than SPR