Sign in to follow this  
Ezekiel

Put the damn binocs away!

So -

Your LB comes flying in to a hot LZ, bullets are flying, you snap off a bit of suppressing fire and leg it for the chopper.... and intead of leaping in, you pull out your cursed bleeding binocs instead and have a quick glance through them. Or even worse, you miss your lift because the pilot doesn't want to wait while you fiddle around, waving binoculars around and practicing your rifle shouldering.

I was just thinking to myself, one of the things I was saddened to see in ArmA is the old mousewheel menu interface. Although it served its purpose in OFP, I was hoping ArmA had moved on in more ways than just graphics but the interface is pretty much identical (except for a few targeting issues which are worse now).

Would anyone else be interested in seeing a more intuitive, fluid context menu? Rather than having to scroll down a list with your clunky old mouse wheel and root around trying to find the right one (trying to draw your pistol when its buried under 6 or 7 other menu options is way too slow to make it worthwhile), I think ArmA could benefit from looking at how other games do it (eg R6, Ghost Recon), where you hold a button in and use you mouse to select what you want.

No more accidentally selecting completely the wrong thing in the heat of battle, and a lot quicker/prettier/user friendly to boot. yay.gif

As much as I hate gameplay of games such as Bf2, it still does have some practical features like the Commo Rose, very simple, quick to operate and intuitive, ArmA could really use something like that so you won't stand around frantically waving your rifle and binos just trying to get in a vehicle.

I personally always hated the "hold a button in and use you mouse to select what you want" way of doing it, because you temporarily lose the mouse.  Not saying there's no room for improvement though.  But I do kinda like the way it is now in OFP/ArmA.

I wonder if anyone who has used voice control has figured out a good way to control the mousewheel menu interface.  That would really be handy.

Good call on the crazy use of binocs sometimes. smile_o.gif

just try to get used to having your fingers closer to the key's you are probably gonna use, i almost never get up the binoculars tounge2.gif but i said almost biggrin_o.gif

just try to get used to having your fingers closer to the key's you are probably gonna use, i almost never get up the binoculars  tounge2.gif but i said almost  biggrin_o.gif

Aaand you play primarily ctf or evol and always use a scoped weapon, right?

What's with the fascination of scoped weapons anyway? They just end a perfectly fun firefight much sooner than anyone really wants, surely?

Binocs are good for games where you don't know where everything is before you pushed the OK button. But they're indeed very slow to use.

I guess if they removed binocs from the action menu the accidental get-in vehicle mistakes would just end up being switch to launcher or something else instead :/

The action menu works better than ever here, i like how it comes up just by rolling the wheel now and the last thing i need is a on screen graphic interface blocking my view from potential threats while making the game look dumb, i can live with the gear selection interface but thats about it.

Removing some options from the action menu or atleast having the option to unselect them would be ok since we already have reload, switch weapon and use binoculars keys by default.

Personally i'd leave it the way it is, the most important action always comes up on top like when you aproach a vehicle or run out of ammo.

There are things i would like to see improved but in this case i cant think of a better description for this than reinventing the wheel.

It takes half a second to scroll and press the wheel, i dont see how dragging your mouse thru a on screen interface while being shot at would make it easier confused_o.gif .

since the menu is kind of general entry to almost anything (scripted/pre-scripted) in the game i think changing it wont do much good

Problem is that in Arma animation to pull out binocular and get it back to the jacket is waaaaay too slow. Its like watching eldered ppl playing chess.

Only reason other games get away with a context sensitive (command) menu is because they dont have that many options, and hey, ArmA has special keys for switching to binoculars/sidearms/etc.

You should make use of the key assignments for specific actions such as switching weapons, all of the important actions can be assigned to keys, as for the rest the action menu is good enough. Besides, anything more fluid would also be more limiting, and I think the current interface suits this kind of game perfectly. ArmA is not a fast pase game anyway, it doesn't need a fluid interface, but a more complex interface allows you to do a lot more and better suits ArmA. You wouldn't believe how many times I get frustrated by how some of the more fluid interfaces in other games limit your actions at times.

I rly hope to see a proper improment in control system like action menu and some other keys interference and if not in ArmA then in Game 2. Problem whit action menu is that the current selection can change in any second and u fairly usually make mistake by choice wrong actions.

There are less items to select in Arma now, we don't need it anymore to board a vehicle, etc.... but I still like context menu's when the interface is subtile.

A good example for me is Homeworld. A whole different game but I loved that interface and command system.

The mean problem is that retarted binoc animation...and we can't walk with it, we can't even take a step a side. Many Arma soldiers were killed with a binoc in their hands...

It's not the binocs I always get out, it's the damn gear. I end up crouching by the vehicle when I'm trying to get in! Very annoying... wink_o.gif

I say its improved alot.

In ofp when you where next to a crate you could have 100 entrys to get a certain weapon now you only got 1.

I tink its perfect now they only have to bring back the teams under the normal command 0-9 ting so i dont have to press a diffrent button, and ofcourse get ride of the stupid green/red images that show you the action its so iritating.

I'd like to add that, it would be nice to have separate button to select firemode, without going thru whatever u have in ur inventory.

and yeah at first i pulled binocs or AT whenever i tried to board vehicle, but my noob days are over and im a trained pro so now I allmost allways board vehicle without crouching for gear or pullout AT4 to scare the pilot tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

Honestly the system is crap, it's clunky and slow. Usability should always come first. I have to say ArmA's system is an improvement, but it's by no means the iPod of usable systems. Really, in a game where one bullet can mean death and waiting 30 seconds OR the rest of the round to respawn, your character is as slow as a fat guy in syrup when doing anything. Far out.

It's not the binocs I always get out, it's the damn gear.  I end up crouching by the vehicle when I'm trying to get in!  Very annoying...  wink_o.gif

Same with me. Or that i have to frantically wave my weapon around trying to find the right spot just to get the action list up.

Getting in vehicles has to be improved imho. Sometimes i've been the first to get to the vehicle when ordered to get in but almost last to get in.

I am training to use the RETURN key instead when I select an action. My mouse wheel seems to be particularly sensitive and as I don't need to move around while doing the action it sis usually not really a loss of time to move the hand on the keyboard...

It's not the binocs I always get out, it's the damn gear.  I end up crouching by the vehicle when I'm trying to get in!  Very annoying...  wink_o.gif

Same with me. Or that i have to frantically wave my weapon around trying to find the right spot just to get the action list up.

Getting in vehicles has to be improved imho. Sometimes i've been the first to get to the vehicle when ordered to get in but almost last to get in.

Ive no problems getting in a vehicle, but climbing ladders is horrible IMO, i have to aim at a certain spot to get action come up or something, which is crap when you dont want to use crosshairs.

... your character is as slow as a fat guy in syrup when doing anything. Far out.

Disagree because with reason the binocular is packed in a bag and its not hanging round one's neck.

In my opinion the arma-animation-time is okay or what do you think how long it takes to hang your rifle on the shoulder and unbox/pull out your binocular in real life?

Why is it you can't move when using the Binocs,Laser marker?

Yet you can move when looking thru a scope...It would be a sweet mod to be able to lower the binocs and/or move with out switching the item. Didn't mean to get off topic but someone did bring this up.

Why is it you can't move when using the Binocs,Laser marker?

Yet you can move when looking thru a scope...It would be a sweet mod to be able to lower the binocs and/or  move with out switching the item. Didn't mean to get off topic but someone did bring this up.

there is already a feature request on the BTS and the votes are..........well didnt check recently but should not be a small number, all we could do is to hope someone somehow thinks its about damn time to make a change, that would do the work to shut someone up i guess

just like the adjectable sights, we dont even need to wait for a patch

my vote is that they just make it so you can bind all actions to keys.

EXACTLY!

Surely the 'Get into vehicle right NOW because I'm being shot at and I don't want to @#%&@ die!!!!' action deserves a hotkey!

EXACTLY!

Surely the 'Get into vehicle right NOW because I'm being shot at and I don't want to @#%&@ die!!!!' action deserves a hotkey!

No, because you would need at least 3 keys: Get in as driver, Get in as Gunner, Get in as Cargo, have you 3 different unused keys at convienent places close to eachother left? The action menu usually has the 'get in as (depends on the closest door to you)' on top anyway so i dont see the problem with that?