Sign in to follow this  
EvEnLeaSe44

Chammys Sound Mod

Canadianterror, I have exactly the same problem.

Trying some oddball methods to cleanse and replace the weapons.pbo.

Ok, i am gonna have a looong feedback session :P

I have to say, in a firefight, its awesome, i love it, you feel so immersed and it is quite scary, so well done there!

But, when alone, i dont get that "umpf" out of the weapons, i dont feel like i am holdings something that can punch a hole in a mans body. The sounds are definitely there, they are soo good, but they lack in volume and perhaps a bit of bass. They sound kinda flat and dont scare the crap out of me when i fire. For example, the m249, sounds a bit clicky, there is no shock of "ZOMG I AM FIRING TEH 249", it sounds good, but needs bass and volume.

I'm not after anything Hollywood, but jus something that makes me crap myself when i fire :P.

I really like the supersonic cracks and the tank cannons, they are fantastic, perhaps you could add a whistle as the shell passes over your head, that would rock.

So, in a nutshell, i love these sounds, but jus crank up the volume. Very nice work mate.

Uhhh, is it me or do these new sounds sound nothing like Chammy's videos?

My steps:

1. Made a copy of the original weapons.pbo and put it into @Chammy folder.

2. Unpacked it there, and replaced the sounds in the data\sounds\ folder.

3. Re-packed the file.

4. Inserted -mod=@Chammy into my shortcut.

I run the game, and I get no errors or anything like that. The sounds are definitely changed from the originals so everything appears to be working perfectly.

Yet the sounds are nothing like in your videos Chammy. They make a horrible, quiet little "pop" sound and then an echo. It's like someone is tapping a slipper on a bathroom floor tile - thats what both the AK and the M16 sound like (though there are some differences - the former is more metallic).

I guess they are okay if you are standing half a kilometer away from the rifle, but no way is it realistic if you are actually holding it.

Good good, im taking notes here, so yall from what I hear like that blaring sound? I will promise this though, It wont be like FDF's or any of the sounds coming from Counter Strike, though they are good in ways of personal prefferences. The closest I will get is to Ghost Recon's, i wanted to get as close to how the sounds would be far and near, but this is good feedback info. thank you all., keep it coming.

With pboview:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=63919

- Start pboview

- press the unpack button (CTRL +u)

- locate your weapons.pbo (A weapons folder will be created in the same location)

- Browse in the weapons folder until you find the data/sound folder

- Unzip the contents (all the .wss files) of chammy's sound mod in that folder.

- Press the pack button (CTRL +p)

- Locate the weapons folder and press OK (a backup of your original weapons.pbo will be created automatically, named weapons.pbo.bak.)

Overwrite that (edited) weapons.pbo with the original.

- Done. Simple as that.

Thanks a lot Blanco. That took 2 minutes to do! biggrin_o.gif I followed his instructions 100% and it worked right away. smile_o.gif  

---------------

About the Mod:

Awesome for a Beta release! thumbs-up.gif

Negative Stuff:

- The vechileengines sounds a bit to high. Can't "almost" hear the mainguns being fired. (M1A1, T-72, BMP-2, Shilka)

- The M1A1 Maingun fireing sound. Dosen't sound correctly enough.

- The maingun reload sound on the Tanks have the same volume in 3rd person (outside) view, as in 1st person (inside).

- The Bomb sound/detonation (Those bombs dropped from planes) sounds way to low and is without any echo-effect.

- The AH1 Cobra has a volume bug. The sounds when fireing, sounds the same both from inside and outside.

- Rockets/Missiles sound the same on most air units. The same with the explosions/detonation.  

- The "beep-beep-beep" sound on the vechiles (Tanks, APC's) is not left out in the MOD.. sad_o.gif I just can't stand that sound. Reminds me of a Truck/trailer reversing. ^Please remove it..

- The M16/M4 Rifle, sounds very unfinished. No metallic clang at all, just "ooomph"..

- The AK-74 sounds good enough, but needs more work.

- The M240/249 needs more mettalic sound to it.

- Explosions in general needs higher volume.

Posetive Stuff:

The things that is not listed in the negative stuff. biggrin_o.gif The Echo sounds (BMP-2) and the AT-4/RPG-7 are my favourites. biggrin_o.gifinlove.gif

--------------

Anyway don't make this MOD something aka Hollywood action movies.

Make them as realistic and authentic as you possibly can, C. wink_o.gif

Awesome Beta so far... the sound of firefights are great!!! thumbs-up.gif

My first observations are :

In general everything needs more volume.. to give us a kick when firing.

No reload sound on DShKM and M2, I liked those sound of bullets belts being installed, and the last metallic clank when reloading.

Reloading tanks should have the sound of BIG shells falling on the ground.

The rest so far is great...

Thanks yay.gif

finally someone who knows how to implement a good cobra chain gun sound.

love the sounds btw pistols.gif

Ok CanadianTerror,  I found the issue.  It's the path inside the PBO.  There's one 'sound' folder in the weapons.pbo.

It's Weapons/Data/Sound.  My messup was the modified sound folder only made it into Weapons..  id10t error   tounge2.gif

Chammy: Congrats on a great beta, and thanks.  The overall sounds scared the hell out of me, but the unedited sounds (engines and such) were too loud in comparison, so I'm witholding my judgement about the weapon volume until I hear them in a complete package.  The sounds are incredible.  In my opinion, the 249 needs more substance, but I've never heard one live, so I defer that to higher authority.  The M16's ambient aftereffect simply cuts off, I'd suggest a rapid taper down instead.  Battles are indeed awe inspiring!  Getting shot at in CQB gives me the heebe-jeebies again.. And that's saying something!  notworthy.gif  thumbs-up.gif  inlove.gif

With pboview:

---------------

About the Mod:

Awesome for a Beta release! thumbs-up.gif

Negative Stuff:

- The vechileengines sounds a bit to high. Can't "almost" hear the mainguns being fired. (M1A1, T-72, BMP-2, Shilka)

- The M1A1 Maingun fireing sound. Dosen't sound correctly enough.

- The maingun reload sound on the Tanks have the same volume in 3rd person (outside) view, as in 1st person (inside).

- The Bomb sound/detonation (Those bombs dropped from planes) sounds way to low and is without any echo-effect.

- The AH1 Cobra has a volume bug. The sounds when fireing, sounds the same both from inside and outside.

- Rockets/Missiles sound the same on most air units. The same with the explosions/detonation.

- The "beep-beep-beep" sound on the vechiles (Tanks, APC's) is not left out in the MOD.. sad_o.gif I just can't stand that sound. Reminds me of a Truck/trailer reversing. ^Please remove it..

- The M16/M4 Rifle, sounds very unfinished. No metallic clang at all, just "ooomph"..

- The AK-74 sounds good enough, but needs more work.

- The M240/249 needs more mettalic sound to it.

- Explosions in general needs higher volume.

Posetive Stuff:

The things that is not listed in the negative stuff. biggrin_o.gif The Echo sounds (BMP-2) and the AT-4/RPG-7 are my favourites. biggrin_o.gifinlove.gif

--------------

Anyway don't make this MOD something aka Hollywood action movies.

Make them as realistic and authentic as you possibly can, C. wink_o.gif

Thanks Matt,

AS I said before , the sounds are all just the changing of the stock sounds, there is nothing that has been changed with the config file, that , I have to discuss with Predator or Evenlease or someone who can help me, they know more or less how to implement that.

Yes, I understand all needs more volume, but the thing I notice with volume increase is the decrease in punch and bass punchiness, no matter how its done, for some reason bass gets squashed to a more unpunchy bass, not a sharp bass, I will figure that out soon hopefully.

The GBU's sound is the same sound as the AT. FDF and Predators takes care of that with the config change. So great care was used in order to find one taht fit both. But either wont and since GBU isnt used much I chose to focus on the AT impact instead.

I will remove the trash truck reverse warning beep

In most weapons you will never hear a metallic ring after firing unless you have ear protection on and your head is on the breach/butt of the rifle.

But this is noted heh

tounge2.gif

Sounds nice  smile_o.gif

On my comp there is the same "lack in volume" though.

The SVD reload is very loud.

Ka-50 seems to have extra shot sounds after the counter for rounds have stopped, on high mode.

BMP2 has same problem with high mode.

AH-1Zs cannon is ok for one burst but when held down the sound at the loop seem to lap over.

D-30 reload sound a bit loud?

Does the Camels grenade have a sound? dont know if you did a sound for it. I cant seems to hear it blow up even with engine off.

Main cannon on tanks seem low also

I have not spent much time with the stock sounds so i dont really know what they sound like. And it could be just my comp that makes it sound that way?

Anyways thats the main things I have found right now.

hey Chammy, what about to create a mod-folder like FDF or Mod War Sounds? It would be easier for us.

hey Chammy, what about to create a mod-folder like FDF or Mod War Sounds? It would be easier for us.

Maybe think they will -once full release?

Btw liking the sounds so far,of what i've tested!

Especially the distant sounds! xmas_o.gif

AK74 = a bit weak volume, strange hissing echo

AKS-SO = a bit weak volume, strange hissing echo

PKM = OK

AKS-74U = OK, echo stops suddenly

SVD = OK, a bit weak volume + strange echo

M4 series = sounds weak, too much echo.

M249 SAW = a bit weak, needs more "punch"

...this was just a quickie review but alltogether pretty decent soundmod, not yet as good as Predator´s though.

Keep up the good work Chammy!

My Feedback:

Weak Volume on all rifles and machineguns.

Little bit more bass.

M4 & G36 sounds are weak

M249 sounds like a "little" gun biggrin_o.gif (more punch and volume), maybe a more metallic sound.

The supersonic crack is great, but i think it's to loud. The tank mainguns needs some punch too.

But although it's a great pack and i love the new atmosphere.

Pump up the volume and take your time!

Maybe think they will -once full release?

hmm ok, if CWR/FDF/... release a beta too, we also should make our own pbo's ? If BIS release the next Betapatch, than we also can create our own files ?

Hey chammy, The M4 Echo seems to end a bit premeturely, and Tanks can be heard from a great distance. Apart from that it it brilliant so far

Uhh, this mod didnt change the vehicle sounds, weapon sounds only, its a beta.

Yes I know it is a Beta. Thats why I give feedback on improvements... smile_o.gif

------

Anyway I fired up a big battle with artillery, infantry, tanks, APC's & choppers.

That was intense. Your sonic cracks are brilliant! biggrin_o.gif But in final versions I'll hope you add sonic cracks for the Tanks and Artillery Shells like the FDF has.

And about my metallic expression. I don't really know how to describe it, but the M4/M16 sounds just too "Ummmph'ish" and there is no real punch in it. And the echo sound on the M4 is to unfinished also. The echo stops way to fast.

----

But still, your MOD is the one I play with regularly from now on, C. smile_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

A few more notes:

-The passing 'whoosh' (or sorry if it's a richochet) echoes on and on strangely at times.

-Just a thought. If you're going to redo ALL the unit sounds, and have problems with freq chopping when you up the amplitude, why not LOWER all the non-firing sounds a bit to equalize? Then we turn up the volume to have that punch, and have it at a normalized level with ambient. Need to be reasonable, as some will get electrical noise when turning up too much. (Cheap-ass sound cards anyway tounge2.gif ).

Still loving it! Got 3 hours of sleep last night. Dammit and thank you. biggrin_o.gif

Installed it like you said, no sounds have changed...

what size should the weapons.pbo be after recompression with pboview? think mine is at 312,122kb (sitting in /chammy/addons folder) and i couldnt hear much of a difference from stock sounds.

edit: double checked and I must be doing something wrong as im still only get stock sounds.

Installed it like you said, no sounds have changed...

Follow these instructions by, Blanco. Easy and fast, and even I managed it and I'm stupid as hell when it comes to that stuff. rofl.gifsmile_o.gif

Instructions:

With pboview:

- Start pboview

- press the unpack button (CTRL +u)

- locate your weapons.pbo (A weapons folder will be created in the same location)

- Browse in the weapons folder until you find the data/sound folder

- Unzip the contents (all the .wss files) of chammy's sound mod in that folder.

- Press the pack button (CTRL +p)

- Locate the weapons folder and press OK (a backup of your original weapons.pbo will be created automatically, named weapons.pbo.bak.)

Overwrite that (edited) weapons.pbo with the original.

- Done. Simple as that.

EDIT: My chammy-soundmod "weapons.pbo" is 287MB, btw.