Sign in to follow this  
PaulHargreaves

Best Sound Mod ?

Right guys heres my dilemma, i love this game but i detest the ingame sounds i was wndering in your opinon which is the best sound mod out at this moment in time ?

FDF Sound Pack 1.1

http://www.fdfmod.org/downloads.html

ArmA Realism soundpack v1.0

http://armed-assault.net/news/arma-realism-soundpack-v10.html

VF RealSoundPatch V1 for Arma 1.08

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=64417

or this

Modern Warfare Modification for Armed Assault

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....l=sound

I used the FDF sound pack since I started playin about 6 months ago. It was awesome.

Since I started using the Modwar Beta soundpack I couldn't imagine using anything else. The overall sound is amazing. Add some bass to the speaker mix and you're set. You have to try it to fully appreciate it.

I really, really like the sounds from the VF Realism soundpack but I am not going to alter my weapons.pbo. I already have 200 addons and tweaks, last thing I need to worry about is another core PBO replacement.   sad_o.gif

<span style='color:red'>Overall: Modwar SoundPack FTW</span>

wink_o.gif

No disrespect to any of the other mods but i love the ModWar soundpack. Won't play without it + a breeze to install.

I'm currently using the FDF 1.1 Sound-Mod now and it is pretty decent enough, imo. I also tried Predators Mod, but I didn't get it to work properly, but most of his sound sounded great. smile_o.gif

I'm looking forward to Chammy's Sound-Mod at the moment. I want that mod so freaking much! biggrin_o.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

Modwar(Good job Predator!wink_o.gif until Chammy's mod comes out

modwar for all but AK/M4/Grenade.

VF RealSoundPatch has best AK & grenade sounds.

but M4 still sounds a bit too quiet finally. (best M4 sounds is

in XAM mod...)

i use modwar , but i replaced AK & M4 sounds

FDF soundmod..

yay.gif

Not tried any others, So that's why....

smile_o.gif

Just downloaded and tested ModWar sounds. Excellent stuff for me better than FDF by far. Still get a shock when i fire the M16 cuase its loudish and heavy on the bass which is a good thing. Have not tested fully but it seems refined, clean and crisp so far.

Sound is a personal preference, so I'm using Modwar 0154 with a few changes of my own (different GAU8 and M197 sounds) plus I fixed all external sound levels for all vehicles.

The DSHKm makes me run away and cry in fear. biggrin_o.gif

modwar(waiting for chammy's mod allso)

Chammy's will outrun all of the packs you have listed above.

Most of the sounds from ModWar remind me of VBS1 modifications.

I have a couple questions about soundpacks.

One: is it easy to uninstall if you don't like it?

Two: does it change the way you hear them? What i mean is with regular sounds you cant tell which way a tank or gunfire ect is coming from.

I have a couple questions about soundpacks.

One: is it easy to uninstall if you don't like it?

Two:  does it change the way you hear them?  What i mean is with regular sounds you cant tell which way a tank or gunfire ect is coming from.

Just deleting the folder and editing your link to start ArmA is all it takes.

Hmm, if you don't hear positional sound in vanilla ArmA I highly doubt that any sound mod will remedy that. What soundcard do you use?

I started with the original FDF sounds and switched to the modwar sounds and was hooked.

But i noticed in some missions i couldnt hear the vehicles like one mission i made, the UAZ would drive up right behind me and couldnt hear it at all.

I went back to default for awhile because of that but then tried the new FDF sounds and all is well so i'll stick with them till chammy finishes his and hopefully i'll still be able to hear vehicles with his.

The sound packs so far have come out as a mod folder so they are easy to use and uninstall. Just delete the mod folder if you dont want them anymore. You can even have alot of different sound packs in your main directory and use which ever one you want by changing your shortcut properties with the -mod feature.

If your having trouble figuring out which direction gunfire and vehicles are coming from, try turning on EAX. Headphones help with directional sound as well. Try positioning your speakers to the sides as well. If your speakers are close together and right in front of you its not going to help the directional sounds.

Currently I'm using FDF_Sounds 1.1

mainly because of the very good vehicle sounds, and the beste reloading sounds.

ModWar has some better rifle sounds but, when it comes to vehicles FDF is best.

Also I think FDF found a very good sound level balance between all weapons and vehicles.

Still The M249 sounds definitely best with ModWar.

For me FDF Sounds 1.1 is the best out there. It has improved my Arma experience so much.

I particularly love the crunching metallic explosions, M16/M4, Harrier (amazing!!!! ), incoming tank shells (duck! ) and the snub-nosed AK, can't remember its designation.

I find Modwar good but a bit 'low-fi' and soulless in places, some of the rifle sounds lack reverb and seem to cut off too abruptly.

I would recommend trying each new release of all sound packs though as things are constantly changing.

if talking a hold pack without tweaking it, FDF is the winner, but it really depend on personal preference

Sound is a personal preference, so I'm using Modwar 0154 with a few changes of my own (different GAU8 and M197 sounds) plus I fixed all external sound levels for all vehicles.

The DSHKm makes me run away and cry in fear.  biggrin_o.gif

mind if we could share your work? xmas_o.gif

Anyone else wonder why we need to have sound mods at all? If the samples used OOB are somehow weak, where did they source them from? You would think the devs would want us to have the most realistic sounds as possible. I understand that they may not have had access to all the weapons portrayed of course so may not be able to had obtained samples directly.

Anyone else wonder why we need to have sound mods at all? If the samples used OOB are somehow weak, where did they source them from? You would think the devs would want us to have the most realistic sounds as possible. I understand that they may not have had access to all the weapons portrayed of course so may not be able to had obtained samples directly.

Most devs nowadays just buy their sounds. I don't know about ArmA, but in OFP the ambient wind whistling sound was exactly the same as a sound from Raven Shield and was even used in several films. The whistling noise had a very distinct pattern.

I'm guessing more realistic sounds are also more expensive to buy or something.