Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

i have amd 3000+ xp ~2.14Ghz

1gb of ram

7800 GS 256mb

and i can barely get a playable FPS on all low settings WTF???

thats disapointing

Your processor is 4 years old.

You don't have a a lot of RAM.

Your video card (while newer) probably can't keep up with your processor, which is probably dragging your system down.

I'm guessing that since you're running an AthlonXP, you're probably running an AGP video card, which tells me that it might be time for a computer upgrade; Hope this helps.

All i can say is that, if all you guys think that Arma is a crabby game.....well then you dont know how to play Arma, end of story.

Quote[/b] ]i can barely get a playable FPS on all low settings WT

Try higher settings. I know it sounds absurd, but it works. I have Athlon XP 3000+, now 2 Gig of slow DDR RAM, an AGP 7600 GT, slightly overclocked and regular IDE harddrives.

Still I have all texture and details on high, shadows disabled, AA normal, AF normal, vd = 2500 and get constant frames around 35.

Even upping the screen resolution to 1024 gave me more frames than using 800.

Balschoiw

heh, looking at your PC i see ARMA is really sick, i had so many problems on much strongher computer and i was unable to play it since 1.05

i can play ARMA since 1.08 and it was not overheated in 1.05

i have: AMD3800X2, VGA7900 / 256 MB on DDR3 and PCIE , DDR2 2GB

Quote[/b] ]

heh, looking at your PC i see ARMA is really sick

Well, it could be worse for me biggrin_o.gif

Oh and btw. A lot of the problems you had vilas where definately homegrown. The heat issue was there with 1.05 aswell but you just didn´t realize as you thought temps measured at CPU and GPU are the only temps that count. Infact we all told you back then that you have an overheating issue but you couldn´t understand that as the monitoring programs showed you good temperatures. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I have Hope, and I still visit these forums for news etc but Ive lost alot of interest lately and I just hope something great can be pulled out of the bag, apart from awesome fan videos.

Indeed, same here. I'm just waiting for the expansion or a patch that will drastically change ArmA into something I can put up with. If that doesn't happen I would most likely uninstall ArmA and sell my copy.

no no no, 1.05 was unplayable after few minutes, there was loosing textures, lods

i couldn't play more than 10-15 minutes and game was stopping on one screen for some seconds

i had in 1.05 not FPS but FPM, frames per minute

I had very similar problems when I first got the game (original Euro release) and it seems to have cleared up progressively through the patches (1.5 was still glitching out/crashing occassionally after an hour or two of play or after a few minutes with higher settings).

With 1.7B/1.8 the overheating is completely gone, presumably because the performance has drastically improved too.

TY BIS! inlove.gif

I had very similar problems when I first got the game (original Euro release) and it seems to have cleared up progressively through the patches (1.5 was still glitching out/crashing occassionally after an hour or two of play or after a few minutes with higher settings).

With 1.7B/1.8 the overheating is completely gone, presumably because the performance has drastically improved too.

TY BIS!   inlove.gif

its better to tell the mods to help you to move this post to "awsome" as you will be chew up by guys overhere help.gif

seba!!!  wow_o.gif  Easy my friend, if you'll go on with such kind of broad elaboration of ArmA flaws, even if only with a game design related ones, you'll end up writing a book  wink_o.gif  *and you'll earn a title of an uber whiner from the subjects like that one above*

I bow to your willingness and readyness to make such broad explanations.

,,, I think we should separate the things that are design decisions from the bugs, because in some cases, BIS is trying to fix bugs in the code that even when working as intended, will let down many people.

Dead on mate, and

Quote[/b] ]There are many more to me, and I'll try to list them later.

I'm looking forward to it. wink_o.gif

@Vilas - Question: do you have the same problems also with the other games on that screwed-up-not-correctly-assembled-overheated-not-enough-powerful-whatnot system of yours? (don't need to answer (to me) because I think I know the answer, but you could enlighten with the answer those others which are contantly persuading you that it's your PC (to blame), not a game)

EDIT: as I see 4 IN 1 has changed his 'whiners' word into a 'guys' word. Obviously he's been warned or something (but not punished) by the mods about it.

So much about the Major Fubar's words in this topic a few pages behind that "I will treat any calling someone a whiner exactly the same as calling someone a fanboy: flaming", I'm not naive anymore; this will NEVER happen here.

Its better to tell the mods to help you to move this post to "awsome" as you will be chew up by guys overhere help.gif

Meh, if the only purpose of this thread is knocking the game I don't see why its still here. Isn't there some purpose to posting in this thread? Surely you're hoping that something will come of it, that the developers will listen to what you're saying and make improvements? Otherwise ye would have stopped posting and either returned the game or tucked it away at the back of a shelf.

Anyway the point of my previous post was to highlight that yes, changes are being made and complaints are being listened to.

In fact, you could say I was validating the very existence of this thread and those that occupy it! smile_o.gif

Okay maybe that's taking it a bit far...

@Vilas - Question: do you have the same problems also with the other games on that screwed-up-not-correctly-assembled-overheated-not-enough-powerful-whatnot system of yours? (don't need to answer (to me) because I think I know the answer, but you could enlighten with the answer those others which are contantly persuading you that it's your PC (to blame), not a game)
Here you can see 2 examples of why ppl blame pc's for certain problems.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....8;st=30

Now don't start a discussion with "G-sus, what a man gotto do to play ArmA" smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]i have amd 3000+ xp ~2.14Ghz

1gb of ram

7800 GS 256mb

and i can barely get a playable FPS on all low settings WTF???

thats disapointing

You might wanna try running on all normal settings. Esp texture detail and shader quality should not be put to low or very low.

Also I heard that the 160.03 drivers did amazing wonders above the 9x.xx series.

Also those that crash all the time seem to be happy with a maxmem=256 setting

Thanks for the link sickboy, I usualy don't follow these threads, have not need/reason to.

Quote[/b] ]@Vilas - Question: do you have the same problems also with the other games on that screwed-up-not-correctly-assembled-overheated-not-enough-powerful-whatnot system of yours? (don't need to answer (to me) because I think I know the answer, but you could enlighten with the answer those others which are contantly persuading you that it's your PC (to blame), not a game)

i have never ever problems with other games, in call of duty i played 3 nights long, 3*8 hours without any problmes

not powerfull system ??

on BOX there is written min. req.

2Ghz, 512 RAM, NviDIA fx 128 or ATI 9500

ATI 9500 i had in previous PC

now AMD 3800 X2, 2*1GB corsair extreme, Nvidia 7900 /256

so what not powerfull system to play game for 15 minutes after 1.05 ? after 1.08 i could play over hour, so it was GAME not PC, in PC nothing was changed, game was changed by patch, also in 1.00 and 1.02 i could play too, not like in 1.05 and 1.07 with still CTDs

since 1.08 i got some strange texture error, it's like it switches from sharp to unsharp or lets say from low to normal and back, mostly in evolution and it affects also the chat, some sentences are totaly unsharp, alt-tab and flush helps for about 1 min, then it comes back...

i never had this problem, not even with the 1.07 Hotfix, any idees huh.gif

rig; Duo 6700E / 8800GTX / 2Gb Corsair / EVGA 680i Muthaboard

guerilla @ June 26 2007,20:03)]8800GTX

*cough*

That may be it, though I thought all the 8xxx stuff had been fixed.

well i miss the little cessna and the CH-47 Chinook

and that little black recon chopper also the

apache sad_o.gif

apart from that stuff the game is awesome for me smile_o.gif

guerilla @ June 26 2007,20:03)]since 1.08 i got some strange texture error, it's like it switches from sharp to unsharp or lets say from low to normal and back, mostly in evolution and it affects also the chat, some sentences are totaly unsharp, alt-tab and flush helps for about 1 min, then it comes back...

i never had this problem, not even with the 1.07 Hotfix, any idees huh.gif

rig; Duo 6700E / 8800GTX / 2Gb Corsair / EVGA 680i Muthaboard

*Repeat Mode, Enabled (AGAIN)*:

[*] Try Shader and Texture level normal or high/highest

[*] Try -maxmem=512 or 256 at the startup shortcut

[*] Try 160.03 Drivers, www.guru3d.com

Btw, I do feel a bit out of order, processing all these troubleshooting items in a general disappointment discussion thread smile_o.gif

Well guyz its happening. People are bailing by the droves. Forums that were swamped are dead. Every circle I know has either dropped ArmA or is going to when Ghost Recon 2 comes out.

I find it a terrible shame. ArmA has so much potetial, but BIS is too busy fixing bug shadows and making Mission packs.

You guyz are going to have to make one hell of a comeback to save this thing. And to the devout BIS lawyers...

Im sure your response will be "Good, See ya later" But its not good. Where would OFP have been without the community that supported it. Mission makers, Addon makers and Mod makers. Where will you all be when they're gone?

In the end there is no excuse to release a sequal to a game 5 years leater that has the same bugs as the prequal did when it was released. (Not to mention more bugs) You cant give a community a base game and expect the Modders to make it playable. Gamers are gamers and if they dont like yours they will find one they do. SAD sad_o.gif

Well guyz its happening. People are bailing by the droves. Forums that were swamped are dead. Every circle I know has either dropped ArmA or is going to when Ghost Recon 2 comes out.

Rubbish.

Quote[/b] ]258 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes

And Ghost Recon 2 is an old PS2/Xbox game. The new one Is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 and isn't anything like the original Ghost Recon.

GRAW 2 and ArmA are very different games. And why would one need to drop ArmA to play GRAW 2? Personally I think I will play both, but when it comes to organised MP I will be playing ArmA.

GRAW 2 is a semi-realistic action game, nothing like ArmA (but still a great game of course).

Anyway. Good, See ya later tounge2.gif

Can't you play more than one game? GRAW 2 definitely wont last like ArmA will.

@Zero_uk: Yea me too. Should be available as addons soon enough though smile_o.gif Chinook and Apache are available from mapfact already (www.mapfact.net).

Not everybody. The server list has been over 1000 during the european afternoon for weeks now, tapering off to around 600-800 during my play time starting at 5pm EST to around 250 at 1am EST. Just like any new game, there will be people who like it and stay, and people who give it a try and move on.

I'm a bit dissapointed by how particular synch'ing the triggers are. I've been trying to get many situations to start or advance a storyline by certain units, only to find I need to use the 'Group' linking.. Does not make sense to me and seems awkward, but I'm adapting.

mission making wise, i wonder how long the "list of all fuckups" is, anyone shows me the red pill?

oh and since the scarerom problem seems to be fix now there would be more ppl going online

What disappoints me most is the total absence of any scheduling.

Or at last this is the impression I got after reading through this board.

The developer team seems to be overstrained and I'am afraid somewhat planless.

On one day they're saying they are working on a linux server, another they are "just finishing the tools". Not to mention the big gap between European and US release.

I understand the devteam consists of several different people which focuses on different domains. But would it so hard to make a clear statement like:

- "we're making now the Linux server dedi on our ToDo list - we try to release a first beta in x weeks."

- "we have to withhold the new island-editor until the release of the next extension pack"

I assume many people here bought ArmA even when they knew it was not finished and has quite a way to go. Because they had positive experiences with OFP/Res. Giving a bit more information back to these people than they give now would be just fair.