Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

Many people complain, that ArmA will not work on Vista.

BIS never said anywhere, that it will work on Vista.

Supported systems are Win2K and WinXP, not Vista.

If you filter all this Vista users out, there would be a lot less complain in here.

At least for me ArmA works fine on Win2K, and not that good but stable on Vista.

Everybody are experiencing different problems and therefore are differently dissapointed (or happy). As I said somewhere above, my only problem are the graphical artifacts that occurs mainly around buildings. Most likely they are related to drivers though. But I have no REAL answer to this.

The REALLY sad part of this and maybe the most dissapointing of Arma, is that we as a community (yes, I know I´m a new one) are at each others throats over a VIDEO-GAME. I dont defend anyone and I to have made some inapropriate comments out of sheer frustration of not beeing able to play this game that I have been looking forward to for so long, but I feel everybody must remeber what we are talking about. A game!

Have you tried to change the texture detail, to see if that helps?

Hi Mr_Tea!

I think I have biggrin_o.gif but I will most surely look into it for real once again. I have almost lost myself in trying out different settings, but sometimes the most likely ones are not loked at.

If it would make a difference, be sure that i will NOT post an answer here out of sheer embarresment tounge2.gif

Daniel

I think whats happening here is that:

Its easy to post polite comments when your talking about what you like.

People in this topic have a hard time being polite and post constructive comments about disappointments.

Call me fanboy or what-have-you I have stopped defending Arma in this topic because I get upset of the way people talk.

Its disappointing the problems people are having.Something is up, just bear with it.

I stuck with WinXp when it didn't run anything for like a year.You didn't see me in MS forums whining

@Bratty:

So you accept everything M$ is doing to you and now you are trained to accept every quality of software without whining. It is your choice to do so, other have chosen to whine and it is their right to do so. So why are you not staying at the topic instead of commenting nonsense around here.

Quote[/b] ]So why are you not staying at the topic instead of commenting nonsense around here.

So what are you doing SkullBurner ?

As a matter of fact there are people who have problems with Arma.

This is nothing new, while there were a LOAD of people who screamed hell and swell, cursing BIS and the so called "fanboys" while it turned out that their problems were not BIS - made, but homegrown. People were/are faster posting their complaints than checking their own system. This is what I have learned. In vilas case there is something going very wrong with his hardware/drivers. Shit happens, but what I do NOT understand is that he still brings up issues that ARE already solved as he claims himself. It would be as if people still would be complaining about OFP 1.96 bugs just for the sake of it.

The so called fanboys have always tried to help those with problems and sometimes came up with a decent solution for a whole bunch of guys, this even includes vilas. There were a lot of posts regarding his matters and everyone tried to get his freaking game running as it was with a lot of others who even didn´t feel the need to post a short "thx" or whatever but as they realized that the error was on their side they just trolled on and as they were still not happy posted their fanboy crap from time to time.

Those are the guys I happily ignore now. Why waste my time trying to help them if the only thing you get is a "fanboy" label ?

There are users who know how to behave and others who don´t; constantly nagging and expressing the utmost dissapointment about ABSOLUTELY MINOR things just makes me laugh.

As for the ones with with real problems, be assured that BIS is working on it, as Marek already said that it´s a personal nightmare for him to see all that technical issues and they are certainly pushing hard to get it solved. 1.08 patch was a megapatch and it changed Arma alot. Such things don´t happen overnight and I very much appreciate the efforts BIS puts into this.

But if I see people post about "OMG they don´t have a proper console, OMG I can´t run Arma totally maxed out, OMG the texture of this/that weapon vehicle has a glitch" I´m , just whistling a funny song and forget them.

Well that IS the way to behave. If one doesnt like a certain post, ignore it. And if it is a flaming, trolling or whatever post, let moderators deal with it. As someone told me, its about action-reaction. Theres no problem getting people angry with just a few well choosen words, and that goes for everyone. The trick is to NOT letting things get to you (speaking of all members here) personally. With a great risk of repeating myself, its a game we are debating. There is absolutely no meaning of using any hard language in a case like this. Not in a bigger perspective of course.

And d-mn that i cant stay on topic, sorry for that tounge2.gif

But I would like again to make everyone notice that calling someone a "whiner" is as bad as calling someone a "fanboy".

Atleast in my little world that is.

Its disappointing the problems people are having.Something is up, just bear with it.

Umm, totally ontopic , unlike Skullburners trolling

For the most part I enjoy Arma. My main complaint is the way you command and ai vehicle. You say left and it turns anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees to the left even if you release the "D" key instantly. If you tell them to go fast the generally crawl along at a snail's pace. They also have a tendency to slowly turn in one direction making it imposible to hold a streight road. Just to put some ideas on the table, it might be a good idea to add a road following feature so you could have to vehicle follow a road and use the WASD keys to tell them how fast and which way to turn at an intersection.

My other lesser complaint is the lack of any silenced sniper rifles. This is less about sound as it is about the lack of flash. You would not use SD ammo as it has a lower range but if a crack is all you get it is harder to get range and position fix. Some smaller complaints in the way you zoom on the SPR. You should zoom in on the crosshairs too so you dont lose your range estimates. If anything the m107 should have the adjustable scope but im not sure of he realism factor.

put this game on steam and you might actually get average joe to try this game out...

Trolling here trolling there, everything is nonsense. People have legit right to express their disappointment. The fact that you have tried to helped villas and other people with problems don't mean that you have actually successfully helped them to solve their problems. For someone it could help for someone else this same solution is not applicable fact is that BIS should solve their problems and is only able to do it completely . As I see people here are not complaining about people that tried to help them but only sounding their disappointment with the game and BIS they are not attacking you personally. Some people it seems have some emotional binding to the game or something and feel like everybody complaining is attacking them personally. As danbri said we are speaking about a game and thats it and people have right to do it like this if they feel disappointed with the game. Coming here and making assumptions about people problems and calling them whiners and other names is for my point of view also trolling.

All that people trying to help are also not always right. I had massive problems with graphic in ARMA, with this graphic artifacts and glitches after some time of playing. At that time almost everybody was telling me that my system and hardware have malfunctions and guess what they were wrong as I thought in first place. The problem was solved from BIS with patch 1.02 and not from those people flaming and trying to convince me that my system is wrong. Considering this and many other strange behaviors of ARMA on different systems it is not wise to come and say somebody that his system is wrong and not ARMA especially if he or she is only having problems with ARMA and no other software/game like villas is stating.

But some people think that they know everything and try to convince people of their opinions based on some vague assumptions. Live and let live, this is disappointed about ARMA thread so let people post what about they are disappointed.

I admit that I sometimes write nonsense or bullshit in the forum but at least I admit it, nobody is perfect. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]My main complaint is the way you command and ai vehicle. You say left and it turns anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees to the left even if you release the "D" key instantly.

Press and hold shift while giving the direction.

Quote[/b] ]I admit that I sometimes write nonsense or bullshit in the forum but at least I admit it, nobody is perfect.

Quod erat demonstrandum. Spot on thumbs-up.gif

To Skullburner (and everyone else): please stick to the topic at hand, which is complaints about Arma, not about Microsoft or anything else. I would think think someone with 4 waring boxes should be a little more careful when they post.

To sickboy: replying to flamebait is also not acceptable - if you don't like what someone is saying, report it to a moderator, don't sling mud back at them.

To EVERYONE: enough with the "fanboy" BS. Anyone calling someone a fanboy for saying they like the game is flaming, and will be punished.

ArmA is just ... disappointing

48hr PR and +1WL for you.

If your stuck hating the game because of certain bugs... sell your copy, or uninstall it.. and wait. The original OFP wasnt too hot in the first few versions either... good things take time.

On the other hand my dissapointing experience was the securerom. I had to install a clean version of winxp 64 bit just in order for it to run..

attn BIS, a favor

Please change back the contrast of the light like it was in 1.07. There's something wrong with the contrast and colors in 1.08.

do you mean the colours look more saturated and, well, colourful?

I noticed that as well when I first played 1.08 - I've gotten used to it now, even thought its ever so slightly more cartoony/computer gamey that before.

To EVERYONE: enough with the "fanboy" BS. Anyone calling someone a fanboy for saying they like the game is flaming, and will be punished.

And what about that "whiners" BS mate? Will those which will call the others a whiner for saying they don't like the game be punished aswell? If you check this thread I'm sure you'll find that 'whiner' word earlier and more often than a 'fanboy' word (in fact this word was a reacton/defence on that 'whiners' calling/flaming).

And ekhm, to stay on-topic; can't complaint (anymore) cuz I did the only wise thing momentarily and in such case I think; I put the game on ice till the 'ultimate' patch, and it's sad that a (certain) game players/buyers most to do this not to completely loose their nerves on the game. And I just can't imagine a disappointment with the game of the players/buyers which are not a members/part of this community (they don't know - don't wait patiently on all these mighty patches).

Ah yes, one more thing (and not a complaint really); it always maked me laughing when I saw the destroyed tanks burning like a piles of old dry wooden pallets.

I agree with you Karantan. I already done that.

Yeah as I get warned for writing one time something off topic only because I have 4 warning boxes, that I have get mostly for some minor things but O.k. In this forums only calling somebody a "fanboy" is offense and calling somebody "whiner" is not. Why everybody can come in this thread calling everybody names and stating provocative things repeatedly but they are not warned but tolerated. I get warned only for one sentence out of topic.

I know this is off topic but I don't care, just must to be said.

I'm tired now from people going constantly offtopic here.

This thread is not about fanbois, whiners, the best way for distributing or for troubleshooting! This is also not the place for a whishlist. The only thing you post here is why you're disappointed with ArmA.

Skullburner I don't know nor care for what you received your boxes, but the next time you going offtopic here surely increases the chance you collect another box.

Consider yourself warned, that goes to anybody else here constantly trolling, flaming and posting offtopic.

Please give me the box great man cause I am gone off topic forever!

Thank you! nener.gifpistols.gifwhistle.gifyay.gifrofl.gifgoodnight.gifhelp.gifband.gifbanghead.gif

I'm disappointed that it took so long for any official work about the problems with 1.08 no launching after the patch with no error messages. I'm further disappointed that the 1st real response was 'it is a securom problem, not ours' and securom doesn't seem that it is necessary to answer to the end user since B.I is their customer.

Lastly, I'm pushed over the edge by the end result being that we (atari, us version users) got a link to an exe file for 1.06 on a friday afternoon and the only thing B.I. says is, we will let them know about it.....

Well thats great, make sure they know about it but don't make anything happen. It's about to get into the 3rd week of not being able to play after patching....

Let me add to some previous things that I just found shocking with the release of this game. In OFP smoke never effected the AI and it was frustrating. The map click delay was also another whacky thing that was fixed with a basic script by a mission maker. Now AI is a difficult task to get right, but lets be real here. Modders fixed the smoke issue back in OFP, yet BIS released this game with the same damn problem. (already complained about the AI in vegitation)

But now after making (and scrapping) 7 MP missions in a row where AI behavior borders on the absurd, Im going back into retirement from this game till the modders, or very unlikely, BIS fix some really silly things with the AI and editor.

Here's a clue BIS, go back and beg the old WGL, FDF,BAS and other modders to fix your game for you then resell the game. Or just release the tools now.

But the more Im playing this game, the more it gets on my nerves. So its time to take a vacation from it till something changes.

++just fyi BIS, the reason this game bugs me (sorry the pun) is not the bugs. After many weeks of tweaks on my end (faster computer, custom keybinds, trakIR) the UI is just so non intuitive and sloppy it makes playing it a chore. Fix your keybinds, fix the AI, and get rid of the goofy animation cycles. Out!~