Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

ArmA is just ... disappointing

its not safe to fly with a a10 or a harrier above any armor.. they will shoot it down in 10 secs..

By this i mean we dont need shilkas anymore..

its a really anoying bug!

Rubbish. Maybe if you fly straight and slow, but that's a pretty dumb thing to do above enemies. Shilkas are far more effective, and their ammo does much more damage.

Maybe they are too accurate, but you still shouldn't get shot down easily unless you are a really bad pilot.

Is it possible that they would give us all our money back? I am so upset that they would ruin our beloved Operation Flashpoint!

Is it possible that they would give us all our money back? I am so upset that they would ruin our beloved Operation Flashpoint!

Go to the shop you bought it from and ask for a refund icon_rolleyes.gif

Why ask here instead of the people you bought it from?

Ok, people who get shot out of aricraft.. learn how to fly.. I can outmanuver 20 shikas all firing at me at once for quite a while..

if ya can't fly.. don't..lol problem solved..lol..

reloading should not make you stop running "regardless if peoples opinions say you shouldn't try to reload while running" honestly what does that have to do with anything? It's dumb to stop running to reload.. period..

AI's are retards.. getting them to do anything reliably is near impossible..

Some weapons sights are severly off aim..

the A10 handles like garabage and falls out of the sky way to easily. it should not be drawn to the ground like it has giant electro magnets in it.

fyi: a cobra can take out 8 shikas before it goes down if you learn how to use it... you do not frontal attack a heavily defended line with a helicopter.. what world do you live in when you do that?

helicopters are not frontal attack vehicles..until the line clears some.. like in real life.. they strafe with bombers or planes, level the area to reduce enemy AA, then send in choppers and infantry or fire ranged rockets, missles, etc..

use the hellfires.. clear the area... if u attack AA in a slow moving chopper.. what do u expect? it's called AA for a reason.. their not called happy go lucky, say hi to airplanes vehicles.

The other aircraft handle very well I think..

Characters hands are the ugliest hands I have ever seen lol.. and being in 1st person looking at those ugly hands always makes me think "what a crappy thing to have to look at in such a great looking game".

tools.. enough said...

frame rates drop to unplayable levels to easily..

sniping at range is near impossible and is only possible by sheer strokes of luck.. people make 20-30 foot jump in my scope.. thats just no good..

Enemy AI's are to intelligent.. no one knows exactly where u are and shoots u right in the eye 2 seconds after u fire at them, even though their facing the wrong direction and have no way of knowing exactly where u are.

the ai's do open fire fast on aircraft... but thats what radar is for guys.. radar lets ground targets know aircraft is enroute "before" it reaches the target.. If I wasn't being shot at the second I was in range, I'd be disappointed and it would be to easy to kill the targets..

if you fly in straight lines and try to attack them like a noob.. expect to die like a noob..

Polygonal effects.. still happen. bad texture loading..

the game doesnt handle alot of things well it seems and textures are one of them.. the fps rate needs to be fixed or the game looses way to much playability. yes mostly in foliage areas but in alot of other cases as well...in cities.. and sometimes it just runs bad.. period..

the game wasn't dual core optimised? ok that doesn't make sense to me really.. we're on quad cores people.. can we get with the times? I'm paying good money to have the best so I can run like the best.. not have isues for it.

and on a last note:

the topic starter stated quite clearly that this thread is for "bad" reviews... it is not for good reviews.. if you post good reviews here, like alot of you have been, I hope you get infractions..

read the forum rules.. follow them... they "do" apply to you, you do not have special rights..

I hope that is enforced as well..

I'm Tired of dealing with kids who don't want to follow the rules.. I deal with enough of them when i join online.. my hand stays on the boot button, one inch from ban button at all times for people like that.

I wish there was an adult server for people over 20... im 30.. i just can't handle another 12 year old singing in the mic for 20 minutes..

I haven't joined another servers game in a month because of a lack of enforced rules and childishness.

least that gives me the pleasure of booting them when they join my games with that nonsense.. band.gifrofl.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
its not safe to fly with a a10 or a harrier above any armor.. they will shoot it down in 10 secs..

By this i mean we dont need shilkas anymore..

its a really anoying bug!

Dunno about that. But I do agree that right now the Shilka is kinda pointless since a T72 or any other APC/tank will shoot down a Cobra in 5 seconds. Why?

1. AI tanks will shot at anything in the air, even if it's > 500 meters away

2. AI choppers will always fly very low. But not low enough to be concealed by the terrain.

Hoping for a fix in the next patch whistle.gifhelp.gif

[...] the soldiers will act like... well, retarded soldiers.

Would 11 real life recruits walk right towards a T72 after it has killed their leader? Nope. But this is common in ArmA wink_o.gif

This behaviour drives me mental too. Time and time again you

can set up with your machine gun and pick them off one by

one as they come around a corner like lemmings, adding their

riddled corpses (all riddled all in the same place, of course) to

the growing pile.  smile_o.gif

The ArmA men (even the elite troops) always behave like

untrained civilians - no fiddling with waypoints fixes this

fundamental deficiency. When battle is joined there is no

semblance of tactical manoeuvre at all (yeah, I know

they "sort of" move in bounds as they move, but that

seems to break down very quickly). Instead of an AI section

commander (squad leader to you Yanks) assessing the

situation and using his section as a team, individuals are

repeatedly tasked to "engage" particular targets upon which

they leap up or run out way ahead of the rest and invariably

get shot (I often wonder why they aren't programmed to

shout "Banzai!" as they do this). No notion of organised

manoeuvre or fire and movement is exhibited at all.

Even trying to command an AI section yourself is fraught with

frustration as basic things are either impossible or require

keyboard skills that would give a piano virtuoso "carpal tunnel

syndrome", and your section of brutal, rapacious and

licentious AI soldiery still behave like stoned airsofters.

The inability to jump or clamber over obstacles is infuriating

too - having to wander along a flimsy fence (made apparently

of matchsticks) under fire looking for an opening, or having to

enter derelict buildings politely through the doorway is

beyond ludicrous.

And personally, I maintain that any game that does not allow

you to dig in (and to have AI intelligently occupy and use

entrenchments) does not deserve the title of  "military sim".

Yes, I know that in the current gulf war they do not dig in

very much, but Arma does not (and cannot) represent that

kind of warfare.

I have a dream that one day I'll boot up ArmA and see my

infantry section's gun team providing covering fire, keeping

the enemies heads down, while I crawl up with my assault

team to grenade the enemy trenches and then leap over the

smoking holes. Some bods may even jump in and introduce

the enemy to a bit of Sheffield's finest. Some enemy may

throw up their hands in surrender. All without a single

line of "scripting".

The concepts involved in infantry warfare at the sharp end

are not that complex and I don't believe that getting AI to

follow these simple concepts is impossible. I know that Arma

allows you to fiddle with finite state machines but I insist

that a game that claims to be a "battlefield simulation" should

embody such basic concepts out of the box, but I guess I'll

just have to "dream on".

Rght now the best you can get is a mad shootout, like a

cowboy showdown outside the saloon, or a hillbilly feud.

For these reasons I've shelved all of my gradiose ArmA addon

plans reducing them to one where I hope the fundamental

deficiencies of the game will not be so apparent.

There, I said it...

lol @ Bonzai... they so should say that. rofl.gif

@Col. Faulkner: Thanks for your review, really funny to read and sadly true. If only BIS had more interest in the military, or more experience with it... I ended up believing they are not concern at all with this kind of "stuff". As if they had just made the grade with Flashpoint out of sheer luck, and then tried to continue "the thing" as a job, but without any passion for it. In fact, I remember an old interview where someone from BIS said they wanted to do role playing games, and they never thought they would ended up doing something "military". And there is another thing, someone recently quoted SUMA saying something like "War is not funny and we tried to show that in ArmA". Well guys, you showed it alright.

I reached a point where I cannot get myself to play ArmA anymore. This game is so frustrating on every level that it gives me the shivers when I think of playing it. I simply went back to Flashpoint and avoid clicking the ArmA icon.

No female civilians? That is a big let down. I want to shoot women.

Thats messed up. Instead of calling you an F'ing little sicko, i'll just remind you that humans and animals do the best they can with what they have mentally and physically, so whatever the reason for your hate, theres no need for it.

It's not a hate against women. But i for sure wouldn't want to live on an island with only men on it. would you?

And i need a woman for my witch hunt map. I made one for OFP in the past where you have to kill a witch for points. You play in a city just doing deathmatch and a witch also appears randomly. When you shoot her, she burst in flames and screams and you score 10 points extra. She spawns later again.

Of course the isn't recognizable because there are also hordes of zombies which spawn with doing certain actions.

So there you have my explanation why i need women.

The sarcasm of Gorgi Knootewoot makes the pure Omnidon effect of life look satisfying.

Anyways I would not want to live on an island with no women...

What ArmA lies in is an alternate reality.

In a reality where the women gender is becoming extinct, hence the reason for the war on Sahrani, due to the fact of the nuclear experiments, and as you can readily notice the loss of hair on every person who lives there. crazy_o.gif

I also want to shoot women, men are so boring. Quandt doesn't die and looks fugly with her fingers. crazy_o.gif

That gives me an idea for a "Mutant Hunt" map where M. Quandt escapes from a cloning lab and the scientists' henchmen have to apprehend her.

I reached a point where I cannot get myself to play ArmA anymore. This game is so frustrating on every level that it gives me the shivers when I think of playing it. I simply went back to Flashpoint and avoid clicking the ArmA icon.

Strangely true for me too.

I have another 'good' excuses. My pc setup, esp the 7600GT gfx card has glitches (is going into repair).

Perhaps i will even rivive my old xbox and play Elite (being not only tired of the Arma experience but also very tired of this whole cumbersome pc gaming business with its hw/sw/drivers/patches/andwhatnot stuff which f***g eats up all my time)

Strangely true for me too.

I have another 'good' excuses. My pc setup, esp the 7600GT gfx card has glitches (is going into repair).

Perhaps i will even rivive my old xbox and play Elite (being not only tired of the Arma experience but also very tired of this whole cumbersome pc gaming business with its hw/sw/drivers/patches/andwhatnot stuff which f***g eats up all my time)

Have to agree... I miss playstation now and xbox..lol.. I spend more time fixing glitches and errors made by shoddy developers than anything else..

Once my top of the line pc goes out of date ( that I only bought because I was told how awsome pc gaming is.. yea right..)

it's back to playstation for me.. and thats what pc makers get for making crappy gear.

more people to gaming counsels..

not to worry, now that xbox and playstation are online and all that.. what do you think theyll do next?

In no time we'll end up with the same bull pc problems we have now, only with gaming counsels.. and when that happens.. I'll get a hobby..lol.. or nintendo lol..

omg I just said I'd get a wii...Im slapping myself right now.. and shame on u people for making me say such a sinful thing...

A bit OT but alas.

Lets face it, MS f*ckup up real bad with the 360. I love my 360, but my god, it is unreliable as hell (in my clan 18 on 42 360's died, myself being 1 of them) ... but you know, every disadvantage has an advantage. A console is a ONE-spec machine so everybody is in the same position thus making things a bit more easy to clear up (but it IS big, MS reserved 1 billion dollars for 3yr warranty alone)

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is that a ONE-spec machine such as 360 is very easy for devs, they can optimize the game for it. That is why the game work out-of-the-box and that is why i'm attracted to 360 (even when xboxgate is going on with these mysterious 3-red-lights-of-death)

Anyway, i still hope a BIS game will make it to 360 one day. It seems very far though realizing OFP was in version 1.93 when they started on Elite, and ArmA being only on 1.08.

BI..... apparently you don't mind being put in the same boat as the worst operating system and video card release in history..

your terribly written game proves that.. Game has such huugge potential.. then u just let it out early and do the same thing vista and nvidia did to us.. made us your beta biotchez..

u pay me to beta test? no u don't.. so dont expect me to.. fix ur own dang problems.. I have my own life to tend to rather than spending weeks working out bugs due to your incompetence..

sometimes the truth hurts..

I'll give ya one thing.. your making fixes relatively quick and large in size.. so all in all not tooo tooo bad yet... but you know whats wrong and knew it before release..

shame on you for such stupid AI's and shame on you for such terrible optimizations causing us all more lag than we can bear and forcing us, even with the best systems, into running crap settings..

shame for the terrible weapon aim and an A-10 that acts like a magnet to the ground..

Shame on you for making us all reinstall 10 times with this and that work around..

shame for all the people that had to return this game after weeks of hopefully playing it that just couldn't take it anymore.. shame shame shame..

Don't join nvidia and microsoft please.. we already have enough people we can't trust..

You know I could go on, but you get the point..

- There's only one island.

- The terrain is too exaggerated. It seems to be designed for play at around 1.2km view distance. 5km would be more like it.

They All say that Battlefield 2 "sucks" compared to Arma.

Here's the Competition -

Battlefield 2 -

sounds - As Real as you can get.

Setting - Around 2010, USMC vs MEC (Middle East Coalition) and PLA (China)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Awesome.

Reloading in a heli or jet by going over the Carrier or airfield.

Effects - Extremely Good

Voices - Realistic

AI - Just OK, Not made for single-player though.

Graphics - Top Notch

Islands/Maps - 40+ Maps in all size's for all computers.

Arma -

Sounds - High-pitched, Unrealistic, Disappointing, All From OFP.

Setting - 2007?, US Forces VS SLA (Sometimes RACS)

Weapons - Real Weapons, Pretty good, But the loading sounds are way off... duh!!

You need to land in a jet or heli to reload, This stinks because if there's no ammo truck your screwed.

Effects - Depends on what you shoot, Just OK.

Voices - extremely annoying, Very slow, Oh.....No....Two....is....Down!

AI - Stupid....

Graphics - Pretty good

Islands/Maps - 1 huge island that lag's really bad, and 1 small one that lags more than the bigger one....

There you go, I think you know who the winner is.

(I Do like both games so don't say "your just saying all the good stuff about BF2 because you like it" - Well, they are all facts up there aren't they?.) smile_o.gif

You can't jump!

[this] addaction ["Jump","jump.sqs"]

jumping1 = [];

Jump.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_p = _this select 0

?(_p in jumping1): goto "Cant"

jumping1 = jumping1 + _p

_i = 5

#Jump

?(_i == 0): goto "Finish"

_i = _i - 1

_p setpos [(getpos _p select 0),(getpos _p select 1),(getpos _p select 2) +0.1]

~.1

goto "Jump"

#Cant

hint "You cannot jump now."

exit

#Finish

~1

jumping1 = jumping1 - _p

exit

You could add a fancy playmove/switchmove to make it more legit then you flying up while moving/standing still, and you could do a check so others can't make you jump. (Run the script privately to the player online if in MP.)

Also, ArmA is great, fix a few bugs, and we're rocking. Don't like the Ai? Fine don't play against it, play a Coop VS. Two teams working cooperatively in a 5KM zone, on foot, nothing beats it.

I think its not an argument over what the engine/game has to offer.. its Realistic Gameplay Vs. Arcade gameplay. It's just your style.

The same people probably don't like CS, or unreal tournament.. This is because of their arcade type gameplay opposed to realistic simulation. I am one of these people.

FPS's should be more than point-click-shoot.

They only thing that really annoys me is pathfinding and the lack of responsiveness. I mean... the easiest move order takes ages before they get in position.

It's the worst pathfinding I ever saw in my 25 years of gaming experience. Every attempt to make a good mission is nailed by the lack of pathfinding.

AI is decent in open terrain, they actually find cover now behind rocks and bushes, but once the terrain got a little bit dense the mess begins.